Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

:tipshat:

What was in it? I heard that distance helps but I have no clue outside of that, I can't open any right now (thanks to those who sent them) because my inventory is basically always full since this is the view from my desk:

(the view from home is the opposite but hey, win some lose some)

Only stardust but I appreciated getting Goldy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

IcePhoenix posted:

What was in it? I heard that distance helps but I have no clue outside of that, I can't open any right now (thanks to those who sent them) because my inventory is basically always full since this is the view from my desk:

For the love of God, catch all the Magikarp you can but don't evolve then until you get to that quest.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Willsun posted:

In-game notice says next community day is Sep. 22nd for Chikorita.

Well I still don't have the 3rd form so that's cool!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kensei posted:

For the love of God, catch all the Magikarp you can but don't evolve then until you get to that quest.

Dunno what that means but I'll try to drag myself away from DotA to do so on my lunch tomorrow!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

IcePhoenix posted:

Dunno what that means but I'll try to drag myself away from DotA to do so on my lunch tomorrow!

If you start to do the Mythical Quest - where you can catch Mew - one of the steps is to evolve a Magikarp into a Gyardos. It takes 400 candies in game. I thought I saw Magikarp as a 'shadow' on your nearby, so I wanted to tell you what I wish I knew when I evolved a Magikarp right before I got to that quest step...

PS I added you SAS Broski

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Oh man, that is ridiculous. I got "pulled over" in 2017 for being parked in a church lot late a night, but I'm a small white woman and had PoGo up on my phone, so the cop was chill. Reminded me churches are private property, which I did kind of forget.

That's still pretty BS.
I'm assuming you didn't break down any gates to get into their lot, and they don't have anything posted about no parking certain times.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

If the church/shop/whatever doesn't like pokemoning, offer to help them get the stop/gym removed. Just be chill about it.

Trespassing laws vary by state so "no sign, it's not trespassing hurp" isn't sound legal advice. Like at all.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I added back everyone that added me today, thanks!

I tried to send gifts to everyone, hopefully I can keep doing so but my inventory is over full right now from level up rewards so it will be harder to get enough to keep sending them (and receiving them :lol:)

I assume that my coins should just go to inventory expansion for a while?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Willsun posted:

In-game notice says next community day is Sep. 22nd for Chikorita.

Hey maybe i can finally evolve those two bayleef I have had for a year now. :unsmith:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Starter pokemon community days suck though, because none of the starters are very good and all of them are unreasonably hard to catch, so for community days I think they change the spawn rates to spawn ones with worse stats/levels than normal so that all the pokemon you see don't have a deep red ring when you try to catch them.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Wheany posted:

Starter pokemon community days suck though, because none of the starters are very good and all of them are unreasonably hard to catch, so for community days I think they change the spawn rates to spawn ones with worse stats/levels than normal so that all the pokemon you see don't have a deep red ring when you try to catch them.

No they just increase the base catch rate.

Also catch rate is a function of level, not IVs. The higher the level, the harder it is to catch.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

IcePhoenix posted:

I assume that my coins should just go to inventory expansion for a while?

Inventory and pokemon storage expansions are great investments, since they are permanent upgrades. Everything else you can buy from the store is consumable.

At around 800-900 bag space I started to have enough to never run out of revives, potions and pokeballs, even during community days.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

No one will ever convince me that having 250+ max revives, max potions, and as many golden raz and pineapp and balls as possible is bad.

2k inventory slot bag is necessary

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Today must have been unofficial Registeel raid day because 8 or so of the 12 gyms in town had a raid going. I just went through and collected stops to replenish stuff and finished up my Snubbull (sp?) research task then went home. Caught my last Chikorita (fuckin fantastic community day gently caress) to get a Meganium or whatever it's called.

My wife gets mad because I only played the first gen of Pokemon and I can't remember their names and just call them whatever they look like for the most part. I now know what a Sunkern is but I've been calling them Pineapple Folks for awhile. Oh and Cactus Things. I can't remember their name but I evolved one.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

PathAsc posted:

No one will ever convince me that having 250+ max revives, max potions, and as many golden raz and pineapp and balls as possible is bad.

2k inventory slot bag is necessary

Never know when the holy grail of events comes: karp event/nest and double candy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I made the mistake of forgetting that you can have a max of 10 gifts at a time, but thankfully my wife reminded me when I started complaining about not getting gifts. Still got a bunch of gifts from Mt Rushmore (visited 2 days), and most are sent out. More random North Dakota gifts for the next few days, but it’s nice sending out gifts from a known landmark. More fun than postcards.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IcePhoenix posted:

Jealousy. Nothing remotely that dense out here.

Plus side, I've got 100 km walking in the last month playing this dumb game. :toot:

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

ME: do de do *pokemon vibe alert* oh it's just a swablu whatever, eh I'll look anyway on the off chance its a shiny

Also ME: HOLY poo poo IT ACTUALLY IS A SHINY!!

and now I have a little flying chicken nugget yay!

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I check every Swablu and hope to find a shiny one day. Also do I need more than one ditto? I keep catching them (because I catch everything). Do y'all think they'll serve a purpose in the future?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
What hours constitute "day"? Maybe I should just wait until noon to be sure.

Also, Niantic should have had this next community day be all 3 starters because they're all kind of meh.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Untrustable posted:

I can't remember their names and just call them whatever they look like for the most part. I now know what a Sunkern is but I've been calling them Pineapple Folks for awhile. Oh and Cactus Things. I can't remember their name but I evolved one.

this is incredible funny during 5 star and ex raids with all the super serious players around. if you can survive the wave of well actually's it makes standing around in a park like a weirdo entertaining.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Maker Of Shoes posted:

this is incredible funny during 5 star and ex raids with all the super serious players around. if you can survive the wave of well actually's it makes standing around in a park like a weirdo entertaining.

It's weird when people try to min-max other people's pokemon when there are 20 people in the raid. At that point you would win even if 3/4 of the people participating would use nothing but magikarps.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
At least in my town, more often than not, I get the flipside scenario where even if we have more than enough people to overwhelm the raid boss, less experienced players will ask what's best to use on the boss anyway and I think it's a nice way for them to learn type matchup. Especially since some of them don't have high power coverage of every type and when mixed with changing weather, the game will recommend them teams that confuses what they think should have been the best type matchup. Or if the only high power Pokemon they have are legendary captures, the game will probably only recommend them because the rest of their collection is crap regardless of typing.

Like the game right now really likes to recommend Tyranitar for people if Registeel has Hyper Beam just because of the normal type move vs rock defense advantage, but Tyranitar's rock or dark type attacks don't do that well to steel type. And I suppose this is the only instance a Fire Blast-having Tyranitar actually works, but you'd never recommend someone to use TMs to set up Tyranitar for this specific scenario, nor do most people ever do.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Beachcomber posted:

What hours constitute "day"? Maybe I should just wait until noon to be sure.

Also, Niantic should have had this next community day be all 3 starters because they're all kind of meh.

According to Pokemon Go Hub, the day cycle is 10 AM to 8 PM local time

https://pokemongohub.net/generation-2/analysis-time-day-influences-different-pokemon-type-spawns/

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Finally hatched another Kabuto with enough candy to evolve a Kabutops. Hell yeah.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

~Coxy posted:

That's still pretty BS.
I'm assuming you didn't break down any gates to get into their lot, and they don't have anything posted about no parking certain times.

It actually was posted private property, in a very calm, gentrified area, at like 3 AM, and I think the cop was making sure I wasn't considering stealing the construction stuff in the corner of the lot.

Tbh he was pretty nice, "oh Pokemon? Yeah, yeah, ok. Just remember some of those spots are on private property."

Overall we don't get hassled. I would think the giant team stickers and poo poo would make it easy to know who is playing PoGo and who is casing the joint.

Mustached Demon posted:

If the church/shop/whatever doesn't like pokemoning, offer to help them get the stop/gym removed. Just be chill about it.

Trespassing laws vary by state so "no sign, it's not trespassing hurp" isn't sound legal advice. Like at all.

Yeah there's a huge boy's school/orphanage/historical site that doesn't want us there, we've helped the request removal even though they have five drat gyms and at least 10 stops in a small area. Because it's a campus full of children.

On the other hand, the outdoor shopping mall that loved us having lure parties for a long time until a new mallninja guard got a hate boner for us can suck a dick. We just stealth play now. People go there to walk around. Who cares if they're on their phone while shopping?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Oh god yes. My kiddo can't remember the names of a lot of the less meta mons. For example Sunkern is "Angry Corn," Wailmer is "Whaley" and Wailord is "big Whaley," Aron is "skull puppy," etc etc. Diglett was "a poop" for a while, but our neighborhood park was a nest and I got tired of him yelling that there was a poop. Confused other people.

Anyway, lots of grown rear end adults either try to be helpful and correct him, or less-grown-rear end ones snidely correct him. I always tell him to call them what he wants. It's a game.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Oh god yes. My kiddo can't remember the names of a lot of the less meta mons. For example Sunkern is "Angry Corn," Wailmer is "Whaley" and Wailord is "big Whaley," Aron is "skull puppy," etc etc. Diglett was "a poop" for a while, but our neighborhood park was a nest and I got tired of him yelling that there was a poop. Confused other people.
lmao your kid owns

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
lmao @ "there is a poop pokemon over here!!!"

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My wife makes up silly names for all of them, too.

Except... there was one time when the game was still new and she told me she caught a Mew. I was like "What the gently caress??" and told her to show me immediately. It was just a Meowth. Of all nicknames to use... :argh:

She also has a habit of going "oh wow, I think this is a new Pokemon!!" and every time I have to point out, no, you've caught like 100 of them before and there's a Poke Ball icon on the catch screen if-- actually, you know what, I think she's just loving with me at this point.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

My wife makes up silly names for all of them, too.

Except... there was one time when the game was still new and she told me she caught a Mew. I was like "What the gently caress??" and told her to show me immediately. It was just a Meowth. Of all nicknames to use... :argh:

She also has a habit of going "oh wow, I think this is a new Pokemon!!" and every time I have to point out, no, you've caught like 100 of them before and there's a Poke Ball icon on the catch screen if-- actually, you know what, I think she's just loving with me at this point.

That's funny. My wife gets mad that I have more pokedex entries than her even though I tell her repeatedly that I catch anything I can so I can evolve stuff. She doesn't do that.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
gf got miffed that i kept calling whatever the legendary is this month "shocko doggo"

clearly that means i'm not going to stop

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Aron is "skull puppy,"

Not Cubone?

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

gf got miffed that i kept calling whatever the legendary is this month "shocko doggo"

My Arcanine since the game first came out has been Doge Caliente, but I may have to move that name over to Entei.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

It actually was posted private property, in a very calm, gentrified area, at like 3 AM, and I think the cop was making sure I wasn't considering stealing the construction stuff in the corner of the lot.

Tbh he was pretty nice, "oh Pokemon? Yeah, yeah, ok. Just remember some of those spots are on private property."

Overall we don't get hassled. I would think the giant team stickers and poo poo would make it easy to know who is playing PoGo and who is casing the joint.

Yeah there's a huge boy's school/orphanage/historical site that doesn't want us there, we've helped the request removal even though they have five drat gyms and at least 10 stops in a small area. Because it's a campus full of children.

On the other hand, the outdoor shopping mall that loved us having lure parties for a long time until a new mallninja guard got a hate boner for us can suck a dick. We just stealth play now. People go there to walk around. Who cares if they're on their phone while shopping?

Anyway, lots of grown rear end adults either try to be helpful and correct him, or less-grown-rear end ones snidely correct him. I always tell him to call them what he wants. It's a game.

Oh yeah - we annoyed a lot of folks on larvitar community day by pronouncing pupitar as poopitar. That was fun.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

When serious players try to correct me I get all indignant and tell them to stop gatekeeping me which is even funnier.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

pubic works project posted:

lmao @ "there is a poop pokemon over here!!!"

Not even that, just "MOM! THERE'S A POOP HERE!" It alarmed other well-meaning parents so I put a stop to it.

Beachcomber posted:

Not Cubone?

Cubone used to be Bone Bat, but now is just Cubone. As he's gotten older, he's been more determined to learn them.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
There's a 9 year old in my neighborhood who's been informing me that I've been pronouncing several Pokemon incorrectly.

Do you have to appraise the Rattata in order to be get them to register as tiny?

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
No, just catching them counts.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Shocko doggo is infinitely better than people mispronouncing it Raiku.

Between my girlfriend and I, Roselia and Barboach are Roseatia and Barbacoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Shocko doggo is infinitely better than people mispronouncing it Raiku.

Between my girlfriend and I, Roselia and Barboach are Roseatia and Barbacoa

Rikku. Roselita. BBQ Roach.

• Locked thread