Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The downfall of the plus is just clicking the button before you notice it's blinking yellow and the big Swampert runs from a crappy red ball...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Partly cloudy seems like a blessing and a curse, I've caught 5 800+ CP Eevee and three Slakoth today but outside that you have plagues of pidgey, sparrow and other useless trash.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Partly Cloudy seems to be the best for farming stardust.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

kensei posted:

The downfall of the plus is just clicking the button before you notice it's blinking yellow and the big Swampert runs from a crappy red ball...
I just leave my Gotcha on when I don't plan on paying attention. I figure if it misses something good, I never would have seen it anyway.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Partly Cloudy seems to be the best for farming stardust.

It’s that or Cloudy, what with all the poison types around here. I don’t have a good handle on how the weather spawns rarer Pokémon, but Partly Cloudy would be great if it dropped a Snorlax or Chansey on my usual route. I’d also accept a weather-powered Ditto.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

tangy yet delightful posted:

I need to figure out if being a sprint customer already can get me anything.

Nope. I asked. They laughed.

I am gonna switch in the spring, the service here is baaaad.

No legendary eggs or raids on the map right now in my town. I am more than fine never seeing Ho-oh again, but was hoping the birds (and Lugia) would come back. Hopefully Niantic is just trying to remind us they don't have to give us poo poo, and whatever is next will pop this evening. Ho-oh came out at like 6 PM.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Nope. I asked. They laughed.

I am gonna switch in the spring, the service here is baaaad.

No legendary eggs or raids on the map right now in my town. I am more than fine never seeing Ho-oh again, but was hoping the birds (and Lugia) would come back. Hopefully Niantic is just trying to remind us they don't have to give us poo poo, and whatever is next will pop this evening. Ho-oh came out at like 6 PM.

Haha drat. I was hoping I might get away with buying an accessory or something.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Doing a raid in the mall at a Sprint kiosk, and one of the Sprint guys came over all chipper and asked us if we were Sprint customers cause we could move over and get awesome pokecoins!

"Make it ten EX passes and you have a deal."

Sadly he was unable to give each of us a reason to move to Sprint.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
https://pokemongohub.net/gym-raid-update/legendary-raid-battles/latios-latias-raid/

Raid guide for the Gen 3 legendaries. Hopefully they drop soon!

Edit: bonus article about who you should be collecting for those of us who haven't played later gens: https://pokemongohub.net/generation-3/important-generation-iii-catches-farming-best-gen-iii-pokemon-made-easy/

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 15, 2017

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Are there any tips for actually catching a legendary pokémon once the raid is down? I've never managed it and for some reason more often than not the ball just drops like a rock instead of being thrown.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
You...catch it like any other Pokemon? The throwing mechanic isn't any different. Maybe the flying legendaries are just further away than you're accustomed to, not to mention that ones like Ho-Oh can fly higher so you have to aim higher.

Everyone throws balls differently in this game so it's hard to tell what will work for you or not. Curve balls increase your catch rate, but may take you some time to master if you don't try to do it often. It may be worth looking into if you don't know how to do it already because at best, it increases your catch rate on a legendary from 10% to 16%.

If you're simply having trouble even getting the ball to hit the legendary, just work on throwing in a straight line. There's really nothing else I can tell you about catching a legendary beyond searching for YouTube videos on how to throw a Pokeball. Ho-Oh is somewhat different I guess because its game model is relatively super close to where your ball starts so most people's throws are too strong until you learn to adjust.

Just in general it's worth learning how to curve throw because it'll always add an exp bonus for capturing with it and it's seriously a big multiplier bonus.

Straight throw with Pokeball/Great/Ultra: 1/1.5/2
Curve throw with Pokeball/Great/Ultra: 1.7/2.55/3.4

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

AweStriker posted:

Are there any tips for actually catching a legendary pokémon once the raid is down? I've never managed it and for some reason more often than not the ball just drops like a rock instead of being thrown.

That's... Odd? Maybe take a moment once the battle is done to lock your screen and clean it; this only happens to me if I have like, rain or something on my screen. If that isn't happening with normal catches it shouldn't be happening with raids. Are you throwing curves? Curve balls don't just help with your catch chance, in my experience it makes it so the ball is thrown more forcefully.

I have a pretty good catch rate with legendaries. I do the screen lock trick*. Wait till the 'Mon is at the end of its attack animation but hasn't completed it(ie the catch circle hasn't come back), and do a curve ball. It'll feel too early to throw it but if you're timing it on the last second or so it will hit right as the circle comes back. This helps you avoid the dreaded double attack and assuming your throws are good, you can get great/excellent throws every time which increases your chances by a poo poo ton.

Whenever a new legendary comes out I spend a minute or so holding the ball and watching its attack animation so I can see exactly when the catch circle comes back so I can time my throws accordingly.

*Hold the ball until the circle is small enough to get at least a great if not an excellent, and it can be pretty big for legendaries, a bit bigger than their heads. Release the ball at the very bottom of the screen so it doesn't throw(practice how to let the ball down without releasing it with nonlegendary pokes imo if you aren't used to doing it. Nothing sucks more than a dropped premium ball).

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Trying to play this game in the suburbs at launch was a blessing in disguise. Every pokeball was so valuable and so scarce I HAD to make sure they landed or that was just less pokemon I was gonna catch until I could make a trip to get more pokeballs. I ended up getting really good at making sure every pokeball throw was a 'hit' and minimizing the amount of dodged/missed/deflected balls.

For some actual tips:
-Always curve like Willsun said.
-Different pokemon have different attack animation lengths and distance from the screen, so this is gonna vary a lot but you generally want to start your curve throw and release during their attack animation.
-Just practice on regular pokemon

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I have real problems getting enough distance on a curve throw to hit a Pokémon that's really far away. Any hints? Is length just to do with swipe speed or does how far you swipe up the screen affect it too/instead?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

sebzilla posted:

I have real problems getting enough distance on a curve throw to hit a Pokémon that's really far away. Any hints? Is length just to do with swipe speed or does how far you swipe up the screen affect it too/instead?

The height affects it. You need to let go further up your screen.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

My curve technique is to spin in cw circles at the bottom of my screen with my thumb. It’s easy to get a consistent spin speed if you constantly spin while you wait for the circle to tighten. I always release/flick up and left when my thumb is at the bottom of the circle, which gives me a reliable great/excellent. That doesn’t work for faraway Pokémon (zubat :mad:) - for those I use my middle finger, center screen, and flick harder. It’s tough to get enough distance with your thumb. It should be noted that relying on cw circles has made me completely unable to hit Pokémon that drift to the left side of the screen.

That’s a goonsay of a post but it might help people! The most important thing is to keep the spin going all the time while you wait for an opportunity.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

AweStriker posted:

I'm guessing no curveballs? When the birds jit, I wasn't throwing curve balls. My best Lugia is an 87, and I caught something like 7/19. With regular pokes, just chucking the ball and not curving or worrying about the circle almost always works. With legendaries, not so much.

If all the curve ball explanation is confusing, go watch a video. Or three. I can't dig up good ones atm, can later.

The "keep spinning" method is a lot less effective than the circle-lock method, but if you're learning to throw curveballs period, it might be better to master curves first. Practice on every random Pokemon.

I have noticed that I drop balls a lot on a friend's phone if I don't make a concentrated effort to keep my finger mashed against the screen. It is a totally different model of phone compared to what I'm used to, and I do have fingernails that.. They're not long, but they're not clipped all the way down. It could be either of those, or the game being weird.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
ok based on silph road atlas, nesting gen3 species are:

duskull/shuppet ( who cares)

electrike (+1 evo)
gulpin (1)
mahukita (1)
meditie (1)
mudkip (2)
plusle
poochyena (1)
roselia
seedot (2)
shroomish (1)
skitty (1)
spoink (1)
torchic (2)
treecko (2)
wurmple (5)
zigzagoon (1)

so that's 37 dex entries just from nesting. probably should be walking what's not on here.

edit for completions sake that leaves non nesting:
slakoth->vigor->slaking
ralts->whatever->gardevoir
manectric, absol, mawile, zangoose, seviper
and one i can't think of. guess i should be walking slakoth and ralts

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 18, 2017

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Groudon raid battles comin' in hot later today

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
drat—looks like they're releasing Groudon a lot earlier than I expected.

https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/legendary-groudon

e;fb

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Kinda weird that you'll be able to get Groudon before like, Taillow. But I'll take it.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Thanks to Pokemon GO for reminding me that Pokemon has way too many legendaries. At least give me my Sharpedo first. I do wish they'd cut down on level 5 raids. They probably make more sense in cities, but I guarantee nobody has ever bothered with level 5 raids at most of the gyms in my rural European area.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Prop Wash posted:

Thanks to Pokemon GO for reminding me that Pokemon has way too many legendaries. At least give me my Sharpedo first. I do wish they'd cut down on level 5 raids. They probably make more sense in cities, but I guarantee nobody has ever bothered with level 5 raids at most of the gyms in my rural European area.

Wait until gen 4 if you think there's too many Legendaries now.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Wait until gen 4 if you think there's too many Legendaries now.

I thought gen III had the most legendaries in a region?

EDIT: Christ almighty, 14 in gen 4, I guess not :stare:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If they ever get to gen 7, that's got 18 if you include the ultra beasts.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Someone tell me how Groundon does as a groundtype attacker before I raid for more than one of these please.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Someone tell me how Groundon does as a groundtype attacker before I raid for more than one of these please.
Better than Rhydon, so best so far. (Kyogre will also be better than gyarados when it is released). However, don't know the details for the exclusive moves which may or may not exist.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Groudon popped up close to where I work and we managed to take it down with 9 people with plenty of time left, even with a couple mid-20s kids. Likely helped it was raining and water moves were boosted. Still, took out 8 ‘mon before it went down.

Caught it 5 balls in, another down.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Prop Wash posted:

Yeah I’ve so far only stumbled upon a single level 5 raid that had more than a handful of people join (eight of us... and we lost). I’ve given up any hope of a “complete” dex simply because legendary raid battles are a lost cause.

At least I got a leek duck! Didn’t think I’d ever get one of those

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to issue a thank you to parents with kids at raids, who actually pay attention to the kids. And to the parents who ignore their kids, including not seeing them run into the parking lot, or plain not caring when the kid is in the raid, not actively playing, and bothering the other players, gently caress the gently caress off. I swear the next kid over 5 who grabs me and demands to know if I have a Mewtwo is....well nothing will happen save me backing the gently caress away because as irritating as some kids are, they aren't doing it to be bastards. Most of the time.

The little ten year old fucker tonight though, who kept wandering away from his dad and not raiding despite being in the raid, and wouldn't shut up when we were trying to catch the beast, kept rattling off all kinds of stats and this legendary in this gen and this and this and.....even the teacher in the raid group was getting irritated.

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012
Youngest went 4 for 4. I went 3 for 4. Mrs. went 1 for 4.

Despite the high battle CP, I never went through my front 6. We had about 12 in each raid and took it with a TON of time left on the clock.

I feel like 4 beast players could take this, 5 really good players, and 6 of your high-average to high should be able to do it with time to spare.

Best IV I got was a 91%.

Edit mode:

And the new box in the store is a nice deal imo. 480 coins for 6 raid passes, 10 pineapps, and 5 incense.

Das Doppelganger fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 16, 2017

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

I take my 10yo daughter with me occasionally. I made sure that she knew the proper etiquette. Some parents are pieces of poo poo when it comes to that.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

So what teams are y'all using to beat Groudon. It's sort of tough since it has solar beam and fire blast as potential charge moves but this is what I've got so far...

Mod edit: it was funny but don't

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 18, 2017

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Pomplamoose posted:

So what teams are y'all using to beat Groudon. It's sort of tough since it has solar beam and fire blast as potential charge moves but this is what I've got so far...

goddamn glad I saw it already

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012

Pomplamoose posted:

I still just let the game auto assign. One of the 4 raids was all Ho-Oh. One was Ho-Oh with a single Cloister. One was Gyridos, Natu (!!!) Rhydons. I'm not getting a real rhyme or reason behind it but we haven't gone through 6 yet before taking it down. It really does seem pretty weak despite it's massive CP.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 18, 2017

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
EX raids out on Xmas day.

I finally got one.

At least mine is in the afternoon so I might have people show up. I'm just kinda in shock.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Cowslips Warren posted:

I finally got one.

At least mine is in the afternoon so I might have people show up. I'm just kinda in shock.

lol. don't worry it's a beta, in five more years they'll realize that's a bad day to hand out passes

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I finally got one.

Mewtwo in a Santa hat

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I have one for Christmas day, at midday. What a ridiculous time for one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Same, and it's my first, finally. Probably won't be able to make it...

• Locked thread