Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

For the first time in my city, non-sponsored locations that already had an EX raid got.. An EX raid. That is a terrible sentence. Tired.

Three repeat locations. One far east, one far west, one down in one of those small-city-in-a-big-city places.

Surprisingly, I got a pass. This is my 5th, and assuming I catch it, my 4th Mewtwo. The second one, I never had a chance, RNG wasn't letting it happen.

Anyway, I feel less than thrilled. Other people need one Mewtwo. Or two. Etc. And the person I've been playing with the most didn't get one, despite also soloing a Cloyster there on Sunday, in addition to raiding there more frequently than I do. His baby Valor account got a pass though, for whatever reason.

I hope they develop the EX pass system more. This one is a 35 minute drive, starts at 5:30 on a Friday. I'll go, but I'm lucky, I work for myself and have already decided I'm gonna go early and hit stops in the park to avoid traffic. Not everyone has that choice, or can afford to blow half a tank of gas on Mewtwo.

It would be nice if we could select a radius around our home zip code and time frames for EX passes. Obviously, you could just select "all, any time, any where" so as not to screw anyone. out of a pass.

N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

tangy yet delightful posted:

I need to figure out if being a sprint customer already can get me anything.

Nope. I asked. They laughed.

I am gonna switch in the spring, the service here is baaaad.

No legendary eggs or raids on the map right now in my town. I am more than fine never seeing Ho-oh again, but was hoping the birds (and Lugia) would come back. Hopefully Niantic is just trying to remind us they don't have to give us poo poo, and whatever is next will pop this evening. Ho-oh came out at like 6 PM.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

AweStriker posted:

Are there any tips for actually catching a legendary pokémon once the raid is down? I've never managed it and for some reason more often than not the ball just drops like a rock instead of being thrown.

I'm guessing no curveballs? When the birds jit, I wasn't throwing curve balls. My best Lugia is an 87, and I caught something like 7/19. With regular pokes, just chucking the ball and not curving or worrying about the circle almost always works. With legendaries, not so much.

If all the curve ball explanation is confusing, go watch a video. Or three. I can't dig up good ones atm, can later.

The "keep spinning" method is a lot less effective than the circle-lock method, but if you're learning to throw curveballs period, it might be better to master curves first. Practice on every random Pokemon.

I have noticed that I drop balls a lot on a friend's phone if I don't make a concentrated effort to keep my finger mashed against the screen. It is a totally different model of phone compared to what I'm used to, and I do have fingernails that.. They're not long, but they're not clipped all the way down. It could be either of those, or the game being weird.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'd like to issue a thank you to parents with kids at raids, who actually pay attention to the kids. And to the parents who ignore their kids, including not seeing them run into the parking lot, or plain not caring when the kid is in the raid, not actively playing, and bothering the other players, gently caress the gently caress off. I swear the next kid over 5 who grabs me and demands to know if I have a Mewtwo is....well nothing will happen save me backing the gently caress away because as irritating as some kids are, they aren't doing it to be bastards. Most of the time.

The little ten year old fucker tonight though, who kept wandering away from his dad and not raiding despite being in the raid, and wouldn't shut up when we were trying to catch the beast, kept rattling off all kinds of stats and this legendary in this gen and this and this and.....even the teacher in the raid group was getting irritated.

This poo poo drives me nuts. There's one couple that just screams "GET THE gently caress OUT OF THE ROAD" at their small kids. I finally told them not to scream swear words at their children and keep them out of traffic if they wanted to stay on Discord. They just don't go to raids if I'm there now.

There have been days where I planned to go for hours, but I took my kid and he got bored or grumpy or hungry or whatever. I just stopped raiding. If I can do it...

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

If you're feeling friendly, you may ask them if there's a visitor's policy. Admin of the main one here has become sociable with a lot of the other admins of big US servers, and will try to get people in to X server if they're going for a vacation. Some do relax entry requirements in that situation.

Psion posted:

hahah what the gently caress, that's ridiculous

That poo poo is hard to balance. The map one is ridiculous, IMO, but there are a ton of bots and spammers. Omaha's main Discord server blew up in August, went from a few hundred to over 2000 actual people, and uncountable bots and spammers. We had to institute a "short lived codes only and don't post 'em publicly because otherwise 15 bots get in for every single actual user." Plus there's some soft cap on server members the admin is worried about. It's a pain, but it's much less of a pain than trawling through 50 "CLICK HERE TO BUY CHEAP LVL 30S" and "GET YER BONER PILLS HERE" messages in each channel, deleting them all, and kicking the users multiple times a day.

On the other hand, nearby college town requires a ton of poo poo. A goddamn FB account is needed to be added to the Discord because you have to get on FB and apply to the group by answering a drat questionnaire. I have friends down there, and I already had a throwaway FB account, so I joined, but christ. "Why do you want to be in this group?" So I can punch on legendaries with people, come on

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

It really depends on the weather, clear weather Groudon doesn't gently caress around.

I haven't had much issue with boosted Groudon as far as worrying about actually beating the drat thing. But it does burn through about 12 powered up (not maxed, I think 3-4 are maxed) Pokemon before dying when boosted, Solar Beam and a small group. More when we four-man it. But that's why I hoard max revives.

Plenty of people showed up for the EX raid I had yesterday, we could have done two groups, but there were exactly six non-Mystic players, and only three of us had anything powered up. Or were over level 30.

I wish Niantic put more effort into balancing new raiders with people who will definitely show, I feel bad for the people who don't get enough. And it's so stupid, if EX raids were just less common, but open to anyone (or a hell of a lot more people) it would cut down on that a ton. A good chunk of people here will drive across town to help someone who hasn't gotten the latest legendary yet, they'd do the same for EX raids. Hell, make it to where you can only attempt to catch 1-2 per round (week or two week period or something), but can still show up, help battle, and then maybe get some extra XP, dust, rare candy, and other rewards if you've already caught "too many." I'd do that for groups with low numbers.

Obviously, they need to ensure new people are getting passes, but I feel they could pretty easily draw from the pool of people who raid a shitload and will always attend and EX raid if possible. And alternate among those people, too. Most of my core PoGo social group got 1-3 passes very early on, and then nothing since. All are people who will definitely go where the EX raids are, or have someone go for them if they can't.

God this system is terrible. The guidelines need to be transparent. There's one girl who has gotten a ridiculous amount of passes, partially because I was taking her around with me everywhere for a while (she got more passes from those raids than I did), partially because the only loving gym she's allowed to walk to (yeah, it's that girl) has had two EX raids, and all three of her accounts got passes to both, since she does every drat raid that pops there.

Five Mewtwo on her main account (and she's had six passes, she didn't catch one), two for one alt, three for another. She's level 31, complained about some issue with Eevee walking for Umbreon (I think she evolved while having the negative miles glitch), and said "I'm not wasting three more weeks walking another Eevee."

Three weeks to walk 10km. I do 10km on a slow day, and it's not from driving. Not with the new speed lock that kicks in while I'm walking along with the 14 year old Shih Tzu I dogsit, or when I'm walking with the friend who got freaking shot in the hip joint in February and still walks with a cane. If he's getting speedlocked while click-clacking along, the drat thing is too sensitive.

Anyway, she's getting too many drat passes, especially on her weak rear end alt accounts. That seems.. avoidable, Niantic could stop giving her passes until most people have had a couple tries.

I hope they scrap the EX Raid system, but don't expect them to.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

You can also rename all your garbage evos to something like "G " and search will find em as long as you include the space. I'm saving candies now, but when I was pushing to level 40 to get it out of the way, it was handy. Especially since anything labeled "G " had already been appraised/IV checked and could be transferred if I needed space.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Webbeh posted:

I wonder if this is why the Gotcha attachment doesn't do auto-catch right now.

I'm on goddamn droid and mine keeps switching back to manual catch. I wonder if there's a delay issue that will cause it to automatically switch to manual?

GonSmithe posted:

It’s completely insane and not necessary. There have been three separate iterations of the Discord I use with over 300 members in them and never once would anything like that have been necessary.

Did you mean 3000? Cause 300 doesn't seem to be much at all, going by my personal experience.

I agree it's insane, but I also understand the frustration that comes with kicking a couple hundred bots a day, day in and day out. I think the solution the admins of my main one found (single use codes) is a much simpler solution, though.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Did they up the spawns for the event? Tripping over Meditite, it is windy but they're like boosted Eevees now

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Seems all passes period are gone. Non-sprint ones here are gone as well.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

mastershakeman posted:

no , my solution is not rotating out legendaries during winter where it snows. because what if it snows all month

Has it ever snowed for an entire month where you live?

If so, does it happen frequently?

If so, goddamn it dude you're supposed to be delivering presents, not raiding

And you can take a vacay anywhere, I'm sad to find out santa is such a whiny bitch

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Das Doppelganger posted:

Anybody here have the Go-tcha or had one that can speak to the expected experience?

Had both, prefer Gotcha because my brain gets annoyed with the bzzzt bzzzt bzzzt of the Plus. And it's easier to use while driving.
And it catches faster.

You can set it to manual, where you poke the static switch to catch and spin, anyway, so it's like a Plus with more options.

The biggest pain is charging it, and popping it in and out of the bracelet or pendant. Mine popped out of the bracelet last night, and I didn't notice it was gone for hours. I looked all through the house, nada. Finally went back to the store I went to last night, checked the parking lot. It was squished down into wet snow. I assumed it was bricked.

Nope. As soon as I got it dry enough on the outside to use the static switch, it connected. It was definitely run over a few times in addition to sitting in wet snow for 25 hours. I'm a fan.

Das Doppelganger posted:

I wanted the Go-tcha based on the autospin as I drive through a lot of stops on the way home from work every day. Tried it out today locally And I literally had to stop the car and sit 30 seconds before it would spin a stop. I'm not looking to get spins at 40 mph, but it shouldn't literally be worse than walking.

It.. shouldn't be doing that. Sometimes it can be a little slow to start spinning and catching after repairing, but once mine is going, it goes pretty fast, and will successfully spin stops I'm well out of range of.

Are you on iOS, by chance? Apparently it's been having issues on iOS for months.

Acinonyx posted:

How many people does it take to beat a Groudon? I never gave a poo poo about the legendary birds and whatever, but this guy looks cool. Sadly, I'm out in the willie-whacks and there are hardly any people. The most people I've run into at a raid was 3, a father son team and a teenager.

I've been four-manning it with three other level 40s who have high level or maxed out teams for each charge move, sooo.. more than three.

Pokebattler is probably the best way to see how many more you guys need.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Das Doppelganger posted:

Android. I've been reading all the good reviews on spins and was wondering if it was hogwash or if I have a bum unit. It spins within moments of 'finding' the stops, but it takes forever to find them. (The pink arrow over the stop) I wonder if distance between the Gotcha and the phone is an issue. I had the wristband on the rear view mirror and the phone on my lap.

I'll monitor it the next couple of days, try it on other devices, and return if needed.

Thanks!

It's hard to tell with these things, since they're knockoff Chinese fitbits with different code crammed in. I know mine, personally, works the same with any distance between phone and Gotcha, up until we get near the "far enough away it might unpair" limit. But I've also seen these do some weird poo poo. Friend got one, it had to be held right at 2.5 feet away from his phone to connect and stay connected. He tried rolling with it for about 2 hours, then exchanged it for one that works just fine.

Have you double checked to make sure your phone is fully compatible as far as Bluetooth itself? Older phone, older Bluetooth could cause it.

Psychobabble! posted:

My go-tcha auto spins are only ever slow if there is a 'mon on the screen and the device is trying to catch that.

Charging it I dont feel is an issue, as I'd rather charge than buy a battery. I do agree that with the stock wristband it pops out a lot. Mine popped out twice in a week, including yesterday in the snow and was buried for over 12 hours. Also managed to find it and it somehow still works. When I had an off brand wrist band it wasn't an issue. I recommend looking into one. I have this guy: https://www.amazon.com/CUMILO-Color...tcha+pokemon+go

I also absolutely prefer charging, but seems a lot of people won't try it because of that. They just burn through batteries while catching slower. I don't get it at all.

That's the wristband I have. I've never used the one that came with the Gotcha. TBH I've been wearing the drat thing all day for months, often 12+ hours, jumping in and out of cars, going all over town, and this is the first it's popped free. I probably just didn't wedge it in there right.

Cowslips Warren posted:

In this case the park was closed and there were signs posted that it was closed and all the parking lots are blocked off.

Part of the reason of the closure on Christmas for them being kind of strict is that there are three large ponds there and people fish all the time, so it's deep, and not well lit around the water when closed. Drowning possibly?

edit: there are three parks at the gym, one at the entrance, one at the hiking trail, and the one where the raid was at a curve in the river leading to the pond.

Hey at least I'm not one of the players that bitched out to Niantic that my spot was going to be closed in a Sprint gym so they close all the Sprint and the Starbucks ones.

gently caress another city already removed all stops and gyms from its main street and two parks because of idiots going after hours.

You're concerned with the city requesting the stops and gyms be removed, or the general attitude of the town regarding PoGo, right? Or both?

Genuinely curious since I know this has been a whole thing for you: what would you have done if you'd had a pass to that EX raid?

Are there any leaders in the PoGo community there? We had a couple early EX raids on private property, non-sponsored, and one of the admins on Discord just.. called the places and said "hey can a group of weirdos come stand in your parking lot for 15-20 minutes?" Obviously the park people could have said no, but if they understood no one was going to actually be loving about on the ponds, they might agree to it.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

A fair amount of Gotchas are junk on arrival, tbf. Hopefully it's terrible on the other phone and you can trade it for a functioning one.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Das Doppelganger posted:

Last night I had it set to only alarm when something was nearby and it was literally buzzing before things would appear on the screen. (Among all the error buzzing) If I tapped the catch button right away, it would never appear on the screen.

Obviously not the error buzzing, but the rest of this is normal operation for me. Same with the plus. One of the reasons I like the things, they catch things I would never even see.

I know someone who does Bluetooth phonecalls via an apple phone (the X now, no idea which before they upgraded) and has no issue catching in the car.

Tbh, your Gotcha sounds messed up.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Ready for gen IV in 2020 or whenever

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Got a perfect Gulpin. Yay.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Willsun posted:

My favorite thing about Mewtwo is watching as people who are excited about getting it for the first time come back a week or two later to report how easily Mewtwo dies in battle when used. Even if powered by as many rare candies as possible.

The only thing worthy about it is the dex completion. That's why I really wish I could give my EX raid pass to someone who's never done it. Luckily the one issued for this coming Tuesday is on my day off or otherwise I'd skip this weird 3:00PM start time for the raid.

It's good for smacking Machamps, that's about all I use mine for. Unless I care enough to slide it in to punch a fighting or poison type in a regukar gym battle. Usually I don't.

I also got a pass the very first round, and dumped at least 350k dust and hundreds of candies into powering up various counters. As everyone now knows, beating it with 18 people takes about 40 seconds. I still want a dust refund.

Oh, and one of the people I play with finally got an invite! Except he's in HS and it's at 1:15 PM. I'm gonna go for him, but yeesh. This system is so stupid. I don't blame anyone for wanting one, especially at this point, but goddamn the payoff is meh for the amount of hype the system creates.

This is absolutely nothing but a theory based on personal experience, but it seems raiding at a gym for the first time/first time in a while may trigger an EX pass invite, if that gym gets an EX raid. I got several early on, in Sept/Oct, and had resigned myself to not getting one for quite a while. Did a random Cloyster in a park to burn my free pass, and ended up getting an invite to an EX raid there not long after. Back in mid December. A new sponsored gym popped, and a few high levl serious players who seemed to have been removed from the invite pool got invites to an EX raid there.

Could be coincidence or horseshit, obviously. I'm going to test it eventually, there's a gym nearish my house that I hate going to because it's the wrong direction to go if I want to do any other raids after . Haven't been to a raid there for about a month, month a half. It's been getting EX raids recently, Nov/Dec, plus one upcoming.

Gonna wait another month or two, then hit it hard. Assuming it's still getting passes. Trying to enlist friends who also don't raid out there, since even a handful of people would be a better test group than one person.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Dr Tran posted:

Nests changed already? gently caress! I was gonna hit another whale nest

Not here they didn't. Karp nest still poppin' and everything.

I'm liking spawns more since the event is over, nothing went from common to especially rare from Gen III. Less Torchic and Treecko here, but that's good. More Wailmer, which is excellent, because I caught a perfect one. Only level 7 though, so I need about 600 candies to make him a proper big boy.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Christ almighty I hope this is a run-up to more shiny releases and similar events. But with 6 or 12 hour windows. I spent half an hour trawling a high-spawn outdoor shopping mall (a dumb thing to have in goddamn Nebraska) to get a friend a single shiny Pika, because he was at work for the whole event. I don't mind doing it for him, just feel like Nainatic could have made it 12 hours and he could have trawled with me after work. Would have been more fun.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

shyduck posted:

What's the consensus on the Go-tcha? Do I have to watch for bootlegs if I buy from Amazon?

How does one tell a bootleg from a non bootleg? They're all cheap Chinese fitbit knockoffs anyway, I thought.

Having said that, I've ordered about 12 from this listing:

[and 10 have worked perfectly out of the box, as far as I know. I tell people to just order through me because A. Prime and B. If it's borked, free return shipping and new item shipping. So I'm guessing they would tell me if it didn't work right.

One was DOA, easily exchanged. The other is the one I've been using daily since early September and basically wear from morning til night, because I'm a loser. It's been a bit fucky lately, Bluetooth issues. This may be because I dropped it in a loving snowy parking lot around Christmas and it sat there for 25 hours and was run over at least once, as evidence by it being seriously mashed down into the snow.

LionArcher posted:

This game is broken. Where the hell are my revives? I get one every 20th stop or so. Which is why I have 152 fainted Pokémon. This is bullshit.

loving same, and I have 8 gold gyms near.my house. They're trying to push people to raid more, I think.

Sanford posted:

I threw away two hundred and eleven max revives earlier today.

I chucked over 100 of them a few months ago and on my god do I regret it. I'm down to like 30, and I try to only use them when healing during a raid.

Cowslips Warren posted:

So down for a Dratini event. I need that gold badge.

Wondering if I should leave Pokemon in the park again. Double Xp was great for raiding but stardust not so much!

I'm planning on stocking the gently caress up on berries, attempting to have 20 Pokemon in 20 gyms at event start (at least 15 of which are gyms I feel I'll last at least a few hours in), and then popping Star Pieces and berrying the max out of all of them. While catching, obviously.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN fucked around with this message at Jan 23, 2018 around 14:34

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

GTJustin posted:

I got my go-tcha at a GameStop and it's worked fine. I only wish they had a battery indicator.

Would be nice. I heard a lot of stories about ones being DOA, so I started with Amazon, and have just continued the trend.

We triggered an EX raid locally. Quite a bit of coordination in the Discord, but it boiled down to hitting the one easily accessible gym in an S2 cell hard. Massive groups for L5s, lots of lobbies of 1-5 for smaller raids. Mapping the S2 cells has also supported the idea that two or more popular gyms in one cell will just alternate.

Of course, the system is still hosed and broken, and the two people who put in the most effort (me and a friend, I live 4 blocks from the gym and he works three blocks from it) got zip. Tons of people did one Magikarp and got a pass, including both of our alt accounts (levels 19 and 24) and my kiddo's account (28). While I'm all for new people getting passes, the fact that I get nothing on my main account in my golded hone gym kind sucks. Doesn't need to get another pass, just.. something. Some drat incubators or something. The system is just stupid. I have several Mewtwo, and I freely admit that puts me ahead of anyone who doesn't. It still sucks to be left out.

There's a girl who is a very, very young 23 in my town, she's only permitted to play at her house and at the park across the street. I used to give her rides to raids, but I felt like I had adopted a spoiled rear end kid, tbh, so I haven't been doing so lately. She has had eight passes on her main account, first from riding around with me and us happening to hit the right gyms, now from the fact that enough of the nearby players go out of their way to raid at her park with her so she can beat the bosses.

She wrote Niantic an an angry letter! Because of the lack of raids between invites going out and the actual EX raids. She basically tried to put the responsibility of making up for the fact that she's a grown woman who isn't allowed to go anywhere out of sight of her house on Niantic. Im sure they'll get right on it. Speaking from experience, it's loving annoying. That's her job.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

mastershakeman posted:

I was so excited for fog weather to see lots of larvitar and...nope. none

It's usually windy here, if it is not, it's cloudy, clear, or snow.

We finally got fog, during a high-spawn timeframe. I was pumped. Check the map and there's three in the 150 square miles the map covers. Three.

Yesterday was a good day though.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Yeah I've always heard "double weakness" for two typing weakness, etc

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Entropist posted:

This week's EX raid pass round was unusual here. No passes dropped at all in the usual places, only in some peripheral parts of the city and in some nearby smaller cities. I wonder if they are changing it up.

Fairly sure they need to be trigfered by activity each wave. At least the non-sponsored ones, who loving knows with sponsored ones.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

The ♂ and ♀ symbols used to be accessible from my keyboard in-game, went away with a recent update. Now I use CalcyIV for it.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Lots of people apparently getting EX passes at gyms they've never raided at, or raided months and months ago. One friend knows the only time he raises there was 8/18/17, because that's where he got his first perfect legendary, and his only perfect Articuno. So the date is in the game.

I got one for a gym I've hit frequently overall, but not much lately.

Either Niantic hosed up, or they're trying to relight the hype by getting moee passes out.

"You guys learned to trigger gyms, huh? Well gently caress you, we're changing it."

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Fritzler posted:

My GF and I both just got an ex raid pass. To a raid in Florida at a gym we only put pokemon in back in September. She is pissed.

edit: if anyone is near Osprey floriday (LOL I'm pretty sure no one is) and would go for us I would be a huge fan.

If you can track down a Discord server for the area, I'm guessing someone will help.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

New event info.

Highlights

- Starts on the 9th.
- More new Hoenn Pokemon (including Salamence, Altaria, and Metagross).
- Some may be limited, for those three, it says "unique opportunity to catch."
- Sounds like all spawns with be Hoenn from the 9th til the 13th.
- Rayquaza legendary will overlap the Fail Whale for a few days, be here til March 16th.
- New raid bosses, nothing specific.
- New poo poo in eggs, nothing specifc.
- Six hour lures til the 23rd.
- Boxes with raid passes, incubators, and star pieces til the 23rd.
- Take AR photos, blah blah who gives a poo poo.

I wanted Chanseys, I missed the Valentine's event last year. Wanted double candy too, my Pokebox is full of crap I'm hoarding for the next double candy event.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Cowslips Warren posted:

So we're looking at no valentine event?

Other than dragon and Ice what is good against the new legendary?

I think this is the Valentine event.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Darth TNT posted:

2: Raid times are still poo poo. No Niantic, no one will raid at 5 AM in the morning so scrap that and move the endtime an hour or 2 back so it doesn't at at 7PM when everyone just got home from work.

This poo poo right here kills me. In the summer, raids usually didn't get going until 11 AM or so on the weekdays, 9 on weekends. Now it's more like 4 PM on weekdays, 11 AM on weekends.

The raid schedule is the same here, eggs pop at 5 AM, done by 7:25 PM. So there's 3-4 hours of actual raiding on the weekdays.

It's extra insulting because I remember when raids went til 9:45 PM. It was dark at 5 o clock in the loving evening until recently, what differenfe does it make?

I'm feeling salty about this because I went and took/added to 15 gyms this morning due to insomnia, and saw an egg in my hood on the way home. gently caress that. 5 AM is still yesterday for most people.

gently caress the short timers and eggs, too. Make it 15-20 min of egg and over an hour of raid.

Darth TNT posted:

Reading through that makes me feel like Niantic took a page from Ubisofts Destiny playbook and actively lied to the playerbase to get them to spend money. Supposedly gold gym badges already boosted your odds, except all research pointed out otherwise. I wonder what new research will show.

I don't know that they lied, there's a reporting issue with the TSR polls: gotta be a poo poo load of casual players who didn't get passes and didn't report it.

It's still a lovely system regardless. I'm now in the #2 spot for most EX passes in the Discord, and I definitely don't deserve it. Meanwhile, my kid has had zero, one of my friends who plays hardcore has had zero, and people who play more than I do have only had 1-2. I can't control it, but still am starting to feel bad about it.

Louisgod posted:

People think the event will start at 1 or 2 pm pacific today? Seems like Niantic's normal go-to time.

Probably 1 Pacific, if they follow pattern.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

A woman I trust on our raid group was able to get a second device and log in for me at the ex raid I couldn't get to. I'm now the proud owner of a 98% 14/15/15 Mewtwo

Haaaaate

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

spheal team 6

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Eevee is fox

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Pretty sure the lucky eggs you get when you hit 40 are meant to be mocking.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

I've been at so many goddamn EX Raids, because I keep proxying for people. One of my best friends always works Saturdays, and guess when EX raids have been lately?

I don't mind the actual part where I raid and catch, especially since I have spare devices, and if I need help (one family of six was unable to make it last weekend) there are always people willing to tap/catch/loan a device.

What I mind is, of the 12 raids I've hit for myaelf or others, I can't remember one where there wasn't some kind of dumb issue. It was easier when it was warm outside, everyone would park and stand in a big group, then split by team (RIP Instinct). Now people stay in their cars, which. It's loving cold. I get that. But crack your window so you can communicate. Or say "yo, we're hanging out over here, wave if something happens." People can just watch the battle button to see when someone goes in, but they usually don't pay attention when people back out, for example. One family of four parked way the gently caress down the block, said nothing, and got left behind when we had to back out due to a bunch of glitches.

The people who have Discord, didn't RSVP, and stroll up casually 5 minutes before the end of the raid, theb get super pissed when no one else is available to go with them loving kill me. There's always one. They almost never have enough powered mons to beat it in a small group, either.

It's to the point where AI get the gently caress out of there instead of hanging around to talk or see if I can get people to raid. Because gently caress that dumb petty bullshit.

Ballz posted:

I’m not good with curves, especially for a Poke that doesn’t move from dead center. I might land a curve, but it’ll have almost no shot of being a nice/great throw.

Start practicing your curveballs. They payoff is worth the effort. It took me quite a while (about two weeks) to get to where I could reliable throw great curves, and another few weeks for excellent curves. But I catch so much more stuff now.

Using the circle-lock trick helps as well, if you're not doing it.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

dang

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Another round of EX invites for the 26th. Pray to your favorite deity.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Mumbling posted:

Got my 4th pass. Probably can’t go because Mondays...

Really wish there was a pass donation feature.

If there's a local community on Discord or FB, and if you trust people (I don't, in general), you nay be able to find someone you proxy for you. The mods in the Discord server I'm most active in all do it, as much as possible. I like helping people, but it always surprises me when people just hand over the keys to the account they've sunk so much time/effort/money into.

A lot of them just turn off Google's 2-step authentication thing, too, which, hey, easier for me. But unwise in general.

As far as donation, Niantic is not gonna do that. I have no idea how much they've made from people attempting to get a pass, but I'd kill to have 1% of it in my bank account. I wish they would, my kiddo hasn't gotten one, other kids I know haven't gotten one, a couple adults who are much more dedicated to the game, franchise, all of it than I am haven't gotten a single one. But they won't.

Meanwhile. I've had so many passes, it's starting to feel both impolite and risky to actually mention the number. Other people say "Well, she has-" at raids, and I'm like "shhhh you're gonna get my rear end beat."

It's the worst system. I raid at a gym several times, trying to help trigger, nothing. I say gently caress it and raid when and where I want, I get passes. All of my passes were handed out when I was bronze at those gyms, too. I don't think Niantic knows what the gently caress they're doing.

I'm also sick to the tits of spoofers. Working on golding gyms for various reasons, tired of having "DRTRUMP69" kick me out after 10 minutes. And the national (international?) map that covers this area and has a god damned "Unown Sightings" channel for spoofers is expanding their coverage, so it's gonna get worse.

TheMaestroso posted:

Oh gotcha - people sometimes use the terms "medal" and "badge" interchangeably

Just to make sure, because I can be dumb as hell: medals are the ones in the trainer profile, and badges are anything to do with gyms, right?

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Prop Wash posted:

I think the raid system is stuck. Every day for the past week or so, the two gyms near my house have produced raids between 7 and 8 AM. The reliability would be nice, except that nobody around here is active at those times.

I don't know if that's on purpose or not. Two of my nearest gyms have had raids pop between 9 and 9:30 AM daily for 5 days. Like you, I have no one willing to raid at that time.

Other gyms in my town seem to do the same, dunno why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Someone snooped and found a Bulbasaur image for community day on Niantic's servers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRo...urls_and_found/

«2 »