Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Saving them is also nice for the "catch X number of Y type of species" and "make X number of Y type catches" research tasks. Knocks 'em out faster, and makes it possible to burn through some quickly at home, even with little to no spawns.

Some people were also berrying, then running, ao that each berry was removed from their bags. Which does add up if you're saving hundreds, or even 20+, but I never got in the habit. Since the Regitrio all sucks fat cock and I raided too hard for a while anyway, I'm having fun golding gyms. I need those berries for that sweet 20/30 stardust and 10 gym XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I've never gotten a good IV shiny, but I'm okay with that.

Except when I remember rolling with someone on Dratini day to chase perfects, and then getting a shiny perfect tini.

I'm not throwing gifts away, I don't have enough stops. I try to hit the gifting limit most days, and it takes effort.

I do strive to send fun ones though.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Day 1: 3 shinies
Day 2: 17 shinies

Makes no goddamn sense Niantic

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

back when scanners still worked and you could see spawn timers, it seemed like 15 minutes was usually how long they stuck around but i think they'd go as high as 30 minutes sometimes depending on the spawn, with rarer pokemon having shorter timers before they vanished.

I'm poo poo at coding but was one of the people often tagged when a segment of our local map want down, and had a lot of fun chasing stuff on top of that. Can definitively say:

No true 15 minute timers that I'm aware of, as mentioned before, short timers meant the map wasn't at 100%.

Vast majority were 30 minutes.

Rarer 'mons were often an hour. The first few Unowns that popped around here were an hour, but that changed around August of 2017. I assume because so many people were showing up to so many Unown all over the planet.

Pomplamoose posted:

Back when scanners worked, I remember community day spawns being shorter than normal spawns. I think the community day spawns topped out at 30 minutes, while normal spawns went up to 60 minutes.

Oh yeah. We only had three of em before the maps went down.

Untrustable posted:

Got my second Raikou tonight. One more and then I'll save stamps for the next research reward. Having a fucker of a time catching 10 ghost pokemon. One of my local parks was a Gastly nest until a few days ago and now it's all slowpokes. drat ghost types are hard to come by now.

Raikou is one of the best electric attackers. Entei isn't too shabby, but Suicune is loving awful. Plus you should have two full weeks left, so two more, no reason to skip unless you're planning to turn in on the first of Sept to get five of whatever is next.

I like my Entei, but I use Raikou way more.

Ghosts are all over late at night. I don't know how feasible it is for your to stay up til 11 or 12 and then go out, but if you can, you should encounter 10 ghosts in a half hour or so, just in a boring old non-Mt. Moon biome. Shuppets especially like to hang around hospitals at night (only if they're marked as such on OSM).

Some bright young thing has been turning churches into small lakes and roundabouts into very small parks on OSM around here. The amount of people who are dismayed at this blatent cheating is amusing.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Untrustable posted:

Yeah I barely sleep and I own my business so I don't really have a set schedule. My only issue with late night Pokemon hunting is the police always hassling me. I'm a god damned bailbondsman and it's not illegal to drive around downtown at night but in a small town the sidewalks roll up at 9 and all the traffic is PD. I'm still pissed about getting pulled over for "being parked late at night" last week.

Oh man, that is ridiculous. I got "pulled over" in 2017 for being parked in a church lot late a night, but I'm a small white woman and had PoGo up on my phone, so the cop was chill. Reminded me churches are private property, which I did kind of forget.

Is there any point in saying "hey, I play this game, I park so I'm not illegally driving while distracted, can you advise me on how to not waste more of your guys' time than absolutely unavoidable" or something similar? Some cops are OK. Many are not. Not sure what it's like in your town.

At least if they arrest you on bullshit charges, you can make bail :shrug:

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

~Coxy posted:

That's still pretty BS.
I'm assuming you didn't break down any gates to get into their lot, and they don't have anything posted about no parking certain times.

It actually was posted private property, in a very calm, gentrified area, at like 3 AM, and I think the cop was making sure I wasn't considering stealing the construction stuff in the corner of the lot.

Tbh he was pretty nice, "oh Pokemon? Yeah, yeah, ok. Just remember some of those spots are on private property."

Overall we don't get hassled. I would think the giant team stickers and poo poo would make it easy to know who is playing PoGo and who is casing the joint.

Mustached Demon posted:

If the church/shop/whatever doesn't like pokemoning, offer to help them get the stop/gym removed. Just be chill about it.

Trespassing laws vary by state so "no sign, it's not trespassing hurp" isn't sound legal advice. Like at all.

Yeah there's a huge boy's school/orphanage/historical site that doesn't want us there, we've helped the request removal even though they have five drat gyms and at least 10 stops in a small area. Because it's a campus full of children.

On the other hand, the outdoor shopping mall that loved us having lure parties for a long time until a new mallninja guard got a hate boner for us can suck a dick. We just stealth play now. People go there to walk around. Who cares if they're on their phone while shopping?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

this is incredible funny during 5 star and ex raids with all the super serious players around. if you can survive the wave of well actually's it makes standing around in a park like a weirdo entertaining.

Oh god yes. My kiddo can't remember the names of a lot of the less meta mons. For example Sunkern is "Angry Corn," Wailmer is "Whaley" and Wailord is "big Whaley," Aron is "skull puppy," etc etc. Diglett was "a poop" for a while, but our neighborhood park was a nest and I got tired of him yelling that there was a poop. Confused other people.

Anyway, lots of grown rear end adults either try to be helpful and correct him, or less-grown-rear end ones snidely correct him. I always tell him to call them what he wants. It's a game.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

pubic works project posted:

lmao @ "there is a poop pokemon over here!!!"

Not even that, just "MOM! THERE'S A POOP HERE!" It alarmed other well-meaning parents so I put a stop to it.

Beachcomber posted:

Not Cubone?

Cubone used to be Bone Bat, but now is just Cubone. As he's gotten older, he's been more determined to learn them.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Psychobabble! posted:

I don't, actually. I think they serve being event pokemon very well, and with trading(assuming you have an active community), they're not unobtainable for those that just want the entry.

Agreed. The snobby baby in me is pissy that people can trade for em and easily get what I spent 8 months getting out of bed at 3 AM, driving across town, and otherwise putting in "effort" to get. On the other hand, I would have been stuck needing six more forever without trading, and it is a game. One where I don't actually suffer if another player gets something I have. As long as they keep up the events and maybe find an excuse to have some spawn locally now and then.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Those must have been the ones I was looking at. In that case Nugget is definitely waiting for her evolution.

On the topic of 100%ers, I have three last I checked. First was Chansey, second was Magikarp, and third was Wurmple. I long for the day when we can buy accessories for Pokemon so I can give him the Party Worm hat.

I cannot loving wait for party wurm. He's been my avatar on Discord forever, and I made my friend take my pic with the party wurm background at GoFest.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Best guess is that the spoofers spend a lotta $.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
6-8 lowbies, right? Because 2 high level people can duo it easily, and to me that means you need maybe 5 lowbies.

Tbh it annoys the piss out of me when people gently caress around and go "oh do we have enough?! I don't know! I'm not getting off my rear end unless there's 10 people!" Because if everyone dicks around and waits, no we're never gonna be able to do the goddamn raid.

Easiest solution to that is to power poo poo up though, and roll with others for 4's and 5's. People are gonna people.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Parrotine posted:

Oh! My gotcha wont register or connect to my game anymore. Did they update it so they dont work for android phones anymore?

Try the Gotcha app, it owns for connection issues. Make sure the game isn't up.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

DizzyBum posted:

There's no official Go-tcha app for Android. It's only available on the App Store. Unless you mean that Go Companion app?

They released one for Droid about a month ago! I'm so relieved, I was having insane issues that none of the many tricks would fix. I just had to wait for it to work again.

Play store link

Relevant Reddit thread

Go Companion is great, especially if you're missing the little icon notification thing. But it has never helped with connection issues, AFAIK

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

dwarf74 posted:

Pokemon Go: Sinnoh (Hey Oh)

Seconded

mastershakeman posted:

Did the error for doing this finally get fixed? Used to be a permanent error if you knocked out just the first mon doing this and you couldn't take any more out until 10 minutes passed at which point someone else could place theirs

Leave during the next battle, not the countdown screen between battles.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Valicious posted:

I feel dirty for spending $20 for pokecoins, then buying 200 pokeballs. Sometimes the RNG sucks in this game, and tossing pokeballs using my nose is prone to wild misses sometimes. Still working on mastering curve balls. It’s hard to swirl in a circle consistently fast enough when my nose isn’t flat like a finger tip. Many a pokeball were sacrificed in my often fruitless attempts to master this dark art
( I can’t use my hands, so all interaction with the phone screen is made with my nose.)

It takes quite a while for people to learn with their hands, tbh.

I have noticed on some devices that you can do one quick circle and the ball will be in curve ball windup. I do it on very low CP stuff. So you probably don't need to do the full 5-10-15 circles that most people do.

OK so I went and tried it with my nose. If you can do two tight circles quick enough, you can let fly at the end of the second loop. Aiming is a pain in the rear end, but learning to aim is always a pain in the rear end with this game.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

BGrifter posted:

So I just started this up again after quitting for about a year. Is it worth tracking down a Pokemon Go Plus or should I wait for the new Pokeball thing in November? I don't have a Switch and don't plan to buy one for at least a year or two.

I mostly just want my iPhone to farm pokeballs for me at work. :3:

The gotcha is cheaper than the plus, and better. If you're gonna get one, get that.

If you get really into the game, you won't wanna wait.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Panic Restaurant posted:

Is it worth upgrading to the Go-Tcha if I already have a GO+? I actually kinda like pushing the button, but more automatic efficiency sounds good.

Oh yeah. It catches and spins faster, it hits mons and stops that are further away, it works at a higher speed, and you can start it and forget it.

I keep a plus in my bag in case I forget my gotcha, but using it drives me crazy now. I hate the BZZ BZZ BZZZ.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Bobulus posted:

I'm using one of the minority of phone models that continuously has problems with the Go+ / Go-tcha. It's very frustrating. If I get it to work, it will usually continue to work for a day or two, then something will happen and suddenly I can't get it to work again for a few weeks. Seemingly none of the recommended solutions (unpairing, turning on bluetooth moments before trying to connect, clearing the phone's cache, etc) seem to do anything to help.

Of course, I'm using a 3-year-old phone, so the solution at this point is probably to just buy a new phone rather than keep trying to muddle through it, but I'm too cheap for that. :P

I had endless problems on my s8+ (not old or obsolete at all) until I downloaded the Gotcha app. Now, any issue, I close the game, run the gotcha app, wait for it to connect, and it connects first try in-game afterwards.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Berrying gyms is by far the best way to earn gym XP

New gym popped by house. Golded in 16 days, was on the other side of town overnight for 5 of those days. Just berry the poo poo out of it.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Pez posted:

it's the same for me now, but when I was on that Quest it didn't matter what time I was out I wouldn't see ghosts but once every few days. It was the same for my wife, when she was still on that part I would see ghosts spawn on my account but they wouldn't be there for her

This could be a difference in the timing of spawns for your phone. I'm skeptical that it eas anything else, TBH. Niantic absolutely is fat dildos about things, but if this were common they'd be screaming about it on TSR.

When I went ghost hunting for my main and a friend's main, I had my alt up as well. All three saw the same spawns, and my alt wasn't near that step. The radius and range differs on all three, so there were times I had to creep 15 feet south or whatever to get something to pop on all 3 screens, but there was no difference.

I want you to be wrong, Niantic is spiteful enough as is.

Also, I can grind dust and crap for the gooncommune accounts. I don't sleep much, and have too many Gotchas from losing and then finding them.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Wheany posted:

Speaking of being a weird angry nerd over a video game: there was a gym on my way to work with 6 pokemon, all with 0 motivation, all had been on the gym for more than 10 hours. It's not even 8 in the morning yet. Perfect! I'm going to liberate those coins. No need to thank me :dings:.

The first 3 mons were blissey, dragonite and snorlax, with the blissey and snorlax clearly being the same player on two accounts due to the similar names. Someone feeds a golden razzberry to the last mon, an alolan exeggutor. Like come on, what is that supposed to accomplish except make me post about it on the internet?

They probably didn't get the notification until all they had time to berry was the talltree.

I have berried one mon hard, but only when A. I just threw the drat thing in and B. I'm very close to gold on the gym.

This lucky thing is kind of stupid if you already have more than 10. Even my kid's worefully neglected account already has more than 10, because he keeps hoping I'll give him my golden pooch.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I have an assload of Torkoal from Chicago that I won't give to idiots who want to trade me Miltanks or whatever, but will give to any goon desperate enough to PM me login info. I won't steal your poo poo, but since I don't quite trust people to not steal my poo poo, I don't blame anyone who doesn't quite trust me to not steal theirs. Figured I'd offer.

I do still need a Relicanth and wouldn't mind another Kanga because the baby attacks too and that's loving adorable. But if all you have is garbage, that's fine. I do like Shuckles. And Chanseys. Etc. But that's a bonus, not a necessity.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

FistEnergy posted:

I'm also in the U.S. and I have a second phone so please PM me the account info.

And also how do we coordinate 2 hour account breaks to avoid softbans

A Discord channel seems like the best... Ah gently caress it I'll make one.

https://discord.gg/9AUr7t

If it gets used, awesome, if not, NBD, easily deleted.

Was Moltres just today? Or tomorrow too same time? People in one of the local FB groups are setting up a meet tomorrow.

AFAIK just today.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Birds are coming back, the 13th through the 20th, and can be shiny. Mewtwo will be in regular raids Sept 20th to October 23rd.

And more Kanto mons from 13th til the 30th.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Wait it's ANY 7k? So I have the same chance at a regional in a 7k egg that I get from my wife as opposed to someone from Australia/Europe/Japan?

Yuuuup

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

GTJustin posted:

Make sure the go-tcha has everything checked including Pokemon and stops. Just tap the button and cycle through everything.

My favorite go-tcha thing to do is to go to the nearby 2 stop plus gym and turn off locations on my Android phone. Go home and it'll usually spin for another hour 90% of the time for more items. Haven't figured out how to do this on an iPhone yet.

This is genius and I'm gonna try it

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It seems my Gotcha stopped automatically spinning stops in the past couple days. I just bought it last week, and it worked great until like Saturday or Sunday, and it's refused to spin stops since. I've tried toggling the settings on the Gotcha itself and also in the Gotcha app, but nothing.

The "notifications" in the Pogo app are both checked on.

By "notifications" you mean this, right?

Since Gotchas are knockoff Chinese Fitbits with third party code, sometimes they get weird. Try all of this poo poo, alone or in conbination

Unpairing and re-pairing in Bluetooth

Same but in the game

close the game out completely and run the Gotcha app (this one fixes everything on my phone, for now)

Unpairing the gotcha in the actual gotcha menu (the 5th item when you cycle through, the one that shows C-shaped waves going to a little rectangle meant to repent a phone) (this one use to fix a lot of poo poo on my phone)

Letting the gotcha battery drain dead

If it doesn't start working, just exchange it.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Bobulus posted:

Oh, hey, a question I keep forgetting to ask: Is there any point to the 'baby' pokemon that got introduced later? Pichu, Cleffa, etc? I know in the main games they can different movesets than the normal form, but in this game, are they of any use other than free candy?

They can be shiny, and hatching neans they have the base 10 stats. No move differences. Also, if you're a completionist or living dex type, you can't get 'em anywhere else.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ahh, ok this makes sense. I assume the actual notification is what the Gotcha/Go+ use as a signal to do something? And turning off the poke notification means it'll never tell the Gotcha/Go+ that there is one available?

The way you guys are using "notification" is confusing the hell out of me.

It works like this:

"Catch pokemon" box is checked, the game recognizes the plus or gotcha. It alerts when there are Pokemon, does the little pink arrow and notification (ohhh) up top.

Without that box checked, it will not look for pokemon. Same for stops and the stop checkbox.

If you have either box checked, but the Gotcha is set to manual catch, it will alert you to one Pokemon or stop, but never spin or catch unless you tap the static button.

Make sense?

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Fire Storm posted:

Love the Go-Tcha watch. What app are people using to overlays/checking 'Mons?

CalcyIV for Droid, PokieGenie for iOS

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Current Mewtwos know fire, ice, or electric moves. Because Niantic is trolls.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Lmaooo Mewtwo is 60k CP. No trios!

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Also it will probaly be here for a goddamn year.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Yeah, bosses will probably rotste at the end of the event. There's always the possibility of a new one that is very difficult or impossible to solo.

If you guys haven't already done this, see if there's a local Discord server. Helps with raids, a lot of channels have general chats for questions like that. Some of them are going to have faster reaponse times than SA.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Plastik posted:

If people have been using it and aren't getting banned then I'm in, I just didn't know if it was some new thing where the waters hadn't been tested.

Niantic officially has a rule against third party devices, but it has never been enforced and isn't likely to be.

It's possible they'll put something in the code that counts intervals between Go Plus functions, but not only would they gently caress it up and cause weird glitches because Niantic, they would also end up discovering a massove chunk of the userbase uses Gotchas. Especially in the "pay for boxes/passes/incubators/balls" crowd.

Seriously, one of my (extremely single) friends has three accounts, his main is at 160 mil XP, 150k catches, and he minmaxes. Both of his alts are nearly to my XP and catches if not already past me, so basically 60 mil XP and 80k catches. He just wears gotchas for all three when we roll places with a lot of stops or spawns. If anyone were going to abstain because of risk, it would be him, and he doesn't worry about it at all. You're seriously fine.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Eh. We have that channel too and the mods often have to prompt people for more info. The polite and helpful thing to do is to give info people might need to decide if they're going after it. You might have your kids with you, so going into Walmart would be a huge pain, but rolling through the lot is nbd. Or you may be pressed for time.

Plus, since we don't have timers, you gotta figure how likely it is it will still be there.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Pokemon Go: pun discussions only, no actual game chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Heffer posted:

Pokemon Go: Involuntary Celebis

Boris Galerkin posted:

Eh, I think this is going to be a pass for me then. I was just hoping to get cool achievementspokemon just for going about my day. Oh well, no big deal. Thanks for the responses.

It catches Pokemon, tbh like half of my full-odds, wild caught shinies that aren't from nests were auto-caught.
You can set it to auto catch mons in your dex and mons not in your dex, too. So if you want it catching new ones, just set it to catch all.

Also RE: the 1-day faux-ban, it seems to be a glitch. People who never used anything third party, only have one account, and don't let others proxy for them also got them. And people didn't get warned despite using Calcy and Gotcha constantly, like me.

• Locked thread