Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I do hope trading comes sooner rather than later. I'd settle for wonder trading first, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

There's a star wars spoiler in the post the guy's responding to.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Also important news:

https://twitter.com/NianticLabs/status/943924809444024322

I'm already seeing a few more with this latest update.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Remora posted:

Just picked up the game. The OP says not to bother powering up stuff you catch before lv10, but I caught two 90+% mons - still don't bother with them?

In general the CP of a pokemon matters much more than their IVs and the pokemon you're catching now are going to have a really low CP compared to the ones you'll catch when you're up past level 25. Stardust can be scarce; you'd be spending way too much to get a level 10 pokemon to max instead of just waiting and catching better and better ones as you go.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Julio Cruz posted:

The dick move is having a "community appreciation day" that only lasts for 3 hours and is entirely after dark in Europe and the far East.

It's dark at noon in Europe?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it actually sounds like they were mistaken and are okay with the actual reality of what is happening

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Do you even want a strong defender these days? You want your pokemon to eventually drop out.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I didn't actually check to see whether "Community Day" was an event that actually lasted all day so I'm just now finding out it's only from 2-5pm EST

Which would be okay I guess, if my plan wasn't to be out with my dad all morning doing a few errands and playing the game before he has to crash for his night shift job in the afternoon

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I got a shiny and it will stay forever as a pink dragonair and never graduate to the ugliest dragonite on the block

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What would be cool is if it was specifically a day for starters in general instead of just a single one of them.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
poo poo, I've been using my Piloswine candy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't have a legendary

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

robziel posted:

If I recall all of them but the Swablu we're curved, the Swab flew up into the ball breaking it's curve, the game just hates me sometimes and I finally thought to get a picture of it in my journal. It's also why I don't bother with legendary raids, I have insane trouble with low-tier Pokemon so trying for something that's insanely hard isn't even worth the frustration.

are you waiting for the circle to get really small?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Entropist posted:

Heh, I got accused of being a PoGo nolifer last page but I'm nowhere near those numbers!

I actually spent real money on PoGo for the first time today by paying €1.40 for parking close to an ex-raid in the city center because I had two ex-raids at the same hour. Well, and I've also spent money to buy a battery pack but I use that for other purposes too. I have 172 on the legendary raid medal and 110 on the normal raid medal.

how much have you spent on gas driving places that you wouldn't otherwise drive to grind up that many coins for raid passes

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you sure showed those children

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/TheSilphRoad/status/974900198580174848

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You're acting like it's a new, strange concept for people to want to both collect pokemon and go places in this game

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Julio Cruz posted:

The only thing worse than ridiculous PoGo drama walls-of-text is ridiculous PoGo drama walls-of-text about someone that 99.9% of us don't know, will never meet, and don't give a single poo poo about.

otoh if I know anything about goons it's that a good chunk of them would drop anything to tear into a woman they don't know and have no chance of ever meeting, so

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Willsun posted:

I just want people to figure a workaround on the new API so I can use things that tell me IVs en masse and clear some space. :(

just get calcyIV and put on a podcast or something

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yep, it starts on the 30th.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The mission/reward system is nothing like lootboxes and the profiling you're stressing about is nothing but your own paranoia mixed with regular old random chance

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You're not paying for those rewards, they're the rewards you get for doing a certain amount of daily quests (and the daily quests also have their own rewards attached to them individually, that you know about beforehand)

It's absolutely nothing like lootboxes unless the most you know about lootboxes are 'they are a box, and they're bad' (and by the absolutely loving smarmy tone of your post that in fact appears to be the case here)

edit: you also don't understand what machine learning is

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if pokemon keep getting released at the rate they currently are, how long until we'd get to the point of seeing the first mega evolutions

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah I really don't think we'd get through two full generations in the rest of this year

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cowslips Warren posted:

poo poo I still can't always do a great throw.

the trick I've found is to toggle AR mode on and off to reset it to middle distance because close and far are total fuckers

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

dwarf74 posted:

So is my character literally lugging around like a thousand pokeballs?

The same technology that can stuff a wailord into a pokeball is used to let you stuff a few thousand miscellaneous items into your tiny backpack

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
So when are the quests going live?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

seiferguy posted:

One person in my chat said her quest was to catch 3 meowth. That seems... hard, especially since they shut down every map.

You can toss any quests and get a new one immediately from any pokestop (but not a gym, apparently, unless that's a bug) -- but I think those quests are also supposed to increase your chance of seeing a pokemon that fits the requirement

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The second level of the mythical discovery questline wants you to earn 2 candies walking around with your buddy and I might have to finally hang up my pupitar for something quicker

90.3km walked with him and still only 82/100 candy left, rip

e: also I wish I still had GPS drift at my house again

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Don't forget you need to walk a Feebas for 20km to evolve it, too, so you might want to finally get that out of the way also (though it's a 5km to candy just like Tyranitar)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Welp, yep, looks like stage 6 wants you to evolve a Magikarp (right up until people complain enough for it to change, I bet) https://pokemongohub.net/post/guide/a-mythical-discovery-guide/

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Transcript of that page for people who can't see it:

quote:

Stage 1: Spin 5 Pokestops, Catch 10 Pokemon, Transfer 5 Pokemon
--- Reward: 10 Great Balls, 1 Incubator, 3 Lure Modules

Stage 2: Earn 2 Buddy Candies, Make 10 Great Throws, Hatch 3 Eggs
--- Reward: 2k Stardust, 3 Incense, 20 Great Balls

Stage 3: Reach Level 15, Battle in a Gym 2x, Battle in 2 Raids
--- Reward: Charge TM, Quick TM, 2 Star Pieces

Stage 4: Earn a Silver Kanto Medal, Evolve 20 Pokemon, Earn 5 Buddy Candies
--- Reward: 4k Stardust, 3 Lure Modules, 20 Great Balls

Stage 5: Catch a Ditto, Make 20 Great Throws, Catch 10 Ghost Pokemon
--- Reward: Premium Raid Pass, Lucky Egg, 15 Revives

Stage 6: Reach Level 25, Battle 10 Raids, Evolve a Magikarp (Unconfirmed)
--- Reward: ???

Stage 7+8: ???

I did miss the 'unconfirmed' part the first time around for stage 6, so we'll have to see if that's true or not (and what comes afterwards)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think the only thing that comes to mind about the quest system that I'd change is just to give out a random field research item every day if you have empty spots, just for the people who like the game but manage not to be close to a pokestop every single day (since Gyms don't give you one)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

notoriousman posted:

Uhh, huh. Suddenly the nearby radar and Pokémon list are displaying sprites from the handheld games instead of miniature 3D models??

april fools' day comes earlier and earlier every year

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Since there's a ton of murkrow again, make sure to save a good one for gen 4

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Oh, I don't like the fact that the stops give the same quest every day. I was limited to only things in walking distance today, so of course the one non-gym one by my house gave me "Visit 3 stops you haven't spun before"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah people were really weirdly misreading my post, like I said it's just that the quest stays the same until the next day. On launch it was the really easy 'evolve a pokemon' and I wish I had saved it for the day I couldn't go anywhere, but that's hindsight

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that is in fact what I meant by saving the quest and now I'm just weirdly worried that I've suddenly become really bad at phrasing what I mean

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Beastyfella posted:

I think I peaked tonight. Caught a shiny aron, and checked the IVs. 0/0/0.

Shinies should really get the stat floor boost that hatched pokemon have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Louisgod posted:

I wonder if the legendary birds via quests will cycle each week. First Moltres, followed by Articuno and/or Zapdos. Seems like the perfect way to get those into hands of people that never had the chance to get them, whether due to joining late or living in a small town.

They 100% should give out every single retired legendary for the weekly quests, it's a great way to reintroduce them

• Locked thread