Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Does anyone happen to have a link to that article that was hypothetically talking about which legendaries to spend rare candies on? Or an updated one now that they've all been released? I have 190 candies cluttering up my space and it's looking like I'm goddamn never getting a mewtwo(I'd save the majority obviously just in case but freeing up 50~ would be nice)

I caught a 2735 Ho-oh today when the seattle weather happened to shift to sunny :woop:. It's 84.4, am I right in thinking(unless I catch a higher iv one on a sunny day before it's gone) that I should take the hit on iv and power that one up? It seems like the returns given the rarity of rare candies vs it not being 90+% makes it worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Is there any reason to keep dragon tail as a legacy move on gyarados or should I flip these bitches over?

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

https://pokemongohub.net/gym-raid-update/legendary-raid-battles/latios-latias-raid/

Raid guide for the Gen 3 legendaries. Hopefully they drop soon!

Edit: bonus article about who you should be collecting for those of us who haven't played later gens: https://pokemongohub.net/generation-3/important-generation-iii-catches-farming-best-gen-iii-pokemon-made-easy/

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 15, 2017

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

AweStriker posted:

Are there any tips for actually catching a legendary pokémon once the raid is down? I've never managed it and for some reason more often than not the ball just drops like a rock instead of being thrown.

That's... Odd? Maybe take a moment once the battle is done to lock your screen and clean it; this only happens to me if I have like, rain or something on my screen. If that isn't happening with normal catches it shouldn't be happening with raids. Are you throwing curves? Curve balls don't just help with your catch chance, in my experience it makes it so the ball is thrown more forcefully.

I have a pretty good catch rate with legendaries. I do the screen lock trick*. Wait till the 'Mon is at the end of its attack animation but hasn't completed it(ie the catch circle hasn't come back), and do a curve ball. It'll feel too early to throw it but if you're timing it on the last second or so it will hit right as the circle comes back. This helps you avoid the dreaded double attack and assuming your throws are good, you can get great/excellent throws every time which increases your chances by a poo poo ton.

Whenever a new legendary comes out I spend a minute or so holding the ball and watching its attack animation so I can see exactly when the catch circle comes back so I can time my throws accordingly.

*Hold the ball until the circle is small enough to get at least a great if not an excellent, and it can be pretty big for legendaries, a bit bigger than their heads. Release the ball at the very bottom of the screen so it doesn't throw(practice how to let the ball down without releasing it with nonlegendary pokes imo if you aren't used to doing it. Nothing sucks more than a dropped premium ball).

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Entropist posted:

I'm getting a bit tired of my neighbourhood being infested with uncatchable super-Weedles whenever it is cloudy (poison) or raining (bug), i.e. all the time...

Why tho? They cost only 12 to evolve so they're the new pidgey/caterpie/weedle for mass lucky egg evolves.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Just happened across my second ever Legendary raid with an actual group of people there to take it down with. Didn't catch the fucker, though. Ah well. Back to taking down the 1 and 2 bowser raids solo I guess.

I hope you asked how they coordinated and joined the fb group/discord/phone tag list.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

I know we have some chicagoons in here; is there an active discord group there for raiding? I'm gonna be there over NYE and my partner and I would love an excuse to go out raiding and get away from family duties.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Willsun posted:

Local Pigeon Believes Less People At Raids Helps Drop More Bird Seed, a study by B.F. Skinner

Tell him that excluding him from any raid improves game enjoyment by 400%.

:vince:

Psion posted:

hahah what the gently caress, that's ridiculous

It's insane. My partner found it and

:stare:

So glad my local discord isn't crazy like that. You just need an invite code.

New APK datamine: https://pokemongohub.net/post/breaking-news/pokemon-go-0-87-5-data-mine-new-way-catch-pokemon-coming-called-ar-plus/

Niantic: What do the people want?
Literally Everyone: Trading and PvP
Niantic: How about a whole new game method utilizing a feature hardly anyone uses anymore!

:suicide:

vvv that was my same thought

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 20, 2017

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

This new "feature" where it goes all the way to the top of the poke-list any time you transfer(annoying) to evolve(REALLY ANNOYING) really sucks for mass evolves. Doesn't suck as much if you only do eggs on pidgeys but for my mass Evo style, where I evolve all trash mon, it sucks

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Edit: ^^^ also this

Entropist posted:

Not if you mass evolve in the pro way, by starring the ones you are going to evolve, sorting by favourites, and unstarring each one after evolution. This way the ones you want are always at the top anyway.

Meh. I tried that once, wasn't my thing. I just sort by searching evolve and go through that way. This change still fucks your way up because you have to take time to delete one's after they fill the page. It blows.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Entropist posted:

Unfavouriting them directly after evolving is one extra tap on the star when their menu pops up, and by doing this they will not fill the page of favourites. Transferring can be done after the lucky egg timer has finished, and its easy because they'll have been unfavourited already. You can also switch back to the map easily to catch something and go back to the Pokemon menu without having to scroll around or search because the remaining ones to evolve will be right at the top.

Meh. My method worked well for my specific style of mass evolves vOv. I evolve literally all useless stuff, not just pidgeys/rats/caterpie/etc. everything that doesn't have another Evo in gen 4/isn't useful for raids or gyms gets mass evolved.
so this change sucks for me.

Dr Tran posted:

I would hold off on mass evolves until the next XP event

I have my gotcha on all the time at work so I fill up fast. I could probably do a lucky egg every week if I wanted to.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Entropist posted:

Me too. I just favourite anything I can spare the candy for, it goes to the top of the screen, and I mass-evolve it. Easy.

Tomato/tomato really, I just search evolve and it brings up all the pokes I have the candy to evolve and then they disappear from the list when I run out of candy for them :shrug:. It was super handy and efficient. I'm hoping it's a bug and not an intended feature.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Webbeh posted:

I wonder if this is why the Gotcha attachment doesn't do auto-catch right now.

:confused: Its working just fine on auto? As recently as a couple minutes ago. It's been going all day no problem.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Pomplamoose posted:

Oh I thought you meant IRL photographs of your face and stuff. Having to take screenshots of your trainer profile is slightly annoying but doesn't sound like much of a hassle beyond waiting for approval.

It sucks when you're just a visitor and wanting to get in on raid action while there to give your partner a break from family visit stuff :saddowns:. Though rereading it, maybe I interpreted it wrong; I figured they were wanting to see that your map was mostly/all chicago area. Maybe it's just so that it doesn't show you jumping all over the planet.

Also I didn't know the map function existed before he sent me that screenshot. Neat.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

Great to hear about the AR thing since my phone doesn't have the necessary hardware to support AR mode to begin with. :saddowns:

Can't help wondering how many people are actually going to use it since it sounds like the exact kind of thing that will make you look super weird in public, circling a spot of thin air slowly with your phone up to "sneak up on a Pikachu".

I'm sure people will use it at first for the novelty but the drat game already sucks enough battery with AR off(its always easy to figure out who is walking towards us for a raid because they've got an external hooked up) that it'll become unused pretty quickly besides by maybe kids and weirdos.

I have an inkling they're gonna make legendaries untrade-able if trading ever comes along(because it they can't be in gyms for reasons(???) why would you be able to trade them?) but I'm really hoping they dont; I caught a high IV one of each of the ones my boyfriend missed while he was off hiking in the woods for 5.5 months :(

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

TVs Ian posted:

It was broken on iOS 11 on the previous update, it works again now.

Unfortunately, I unpaired mine, used it on an iOS 10 phone for a bit, and now it refuses to pair to anything at all.

Ah didn't know you meant just on iOs. That sucks. If it makes you feel better, I've unpaired mine before when it was being an rear end and it also was a dick about pairing back up but did eventually :unsmith:.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

This was what I saw on it: https://pokemongohub.net/post/breaking-news/niantic-canceling-ex-raids-scheduled-christmas-take-place-closed-shopping-malls/

Were yours in a mall?

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

lovely. Well I can only hope everyone who had theirs revoked gets a guaranteed one next time but Niantic gonna Niantic :shrug:. I wonder why they even issued them for sponsored gyms knowing they'd be closed? Why not just parks? I wonder if after the fact, sprint was like uh hey we don't want a huge throng of people outside our closed stores, thanks?

Edit: bonus! You get bumped back up to the top of the screen if you select/deselect a Pokémon :shepface:. This is the only time I've had an issue that I'm actually gonna try to find the email form for. God I hope this is just a bug and not as intended.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 22, 2017

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Willsun posted:

The fact that they acknowledged stores being closed for Christmas makes me wonder why they didn't just move every Christmas EX raid one day over so no one would be out doing this on Christmas anyway.

For real. It's so stupid. Meanwhile I'd bet money that if I raid in chicago, that'll be the one time I get an EX pass, and it's not like I can just have some rando link up to my google account to do it for me :suicide:

Anyways, I caught this little dude today:

Since Slaking is p much gonna be useless in general and for raids(?), I should probably forgo waiting for a high IV one and just evolve this guy to sit in the gym like a beast, right? Even with the massive decay rate and all that. I'm gonna wait to evolve until I get enough candy to do the evolve all the way so it gives me a while to see if that turns out not to be the case.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Make it part of your daily pokestop bonus?

It is a part of your daily bonus, as long as you spun after the event started today, at 1pm pst. I get that it sucks if you spun too early or live somewhere besides the west coast but you're only missing out on one single use incubator, it's not a big deal :shrug:

In other news, did 3 legendary raids today and finally did an absol(why is this a level 4???). I ended up teaching an older lady the ring lock trick at raid 2(she whiffed almost every ball in the first one so I figured I'd help her out at the second raid). She still didn't catch it but she caught it at the 3rd and was so excited, yelling about how I was her favorite person for teaching her it :3: :3: :3:. Feels good man. 6/6 on groudon, bring on the space whale.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

uh I thought great/excellent was from landing closer and closer to the right spot on the guy, and the circle was something else entirely that also boosts your chance

... Where you think you were supposed to hit? Did you think it was different for every Pokémon? How have you gone this long playing and not figured out that ring size and hitting within that was what triggered a nice/great/excellent? :psyduck:

Edit:

Entropist posted:

https://twitter.com/NianticHelp/status/944121556053008384?s=17
This implies that it would be your first spin after 1pm PST, not that it has to be a first spin of the day.

I guess it's a matter of interpretation; in the official announcement of getting them they say it comes with your streak spin iirc. You do your streak spin before the event went live, you lose out on an incubator. You'll get one when you spin tomorrow :shrug:. It probably helps that I had people yelling DON'T SPIN TILL ONE in my local Pokémon chat

Steve Jorbs posted:

So if you hold down and let go on the ball you can see the circle will be the same size from when you let go to when you touch it again. The trick is to hold down on the ball until you get a small enough circle and then let go. Then, you wait for the pokemon to perform an attack/jump animation.

Your advice was correct except don't do it during a jump animation if you're wanting to be safe. They can still attack at the end of their jump in a fraction of a second and I've missed balls because of it(same with their other minor animations that dont take away the throw circle). Now I only do it on attacks.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 23, 2017

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

I hope they do trading someday. Just turn it off for legendaries if you're so worried about preserving an element of catch em all, and implement a trade limit of 1 a day (more specifically, you need a "trade pass" you can get once daily from a Pokestop, buy more like raid passes).

I really hope they don't make legendaries exclusive; there's really no need because outside of mewtwo, they aren't exclusive at all and that'd just be another way to gently caress rural players. Im also hoping they don't because I caught and saved an extra high IV one of each legendary hoping that eventually when trading came out I could give tto my boyfriend, who was out hiking in the woods for 5.5 months and thus missed out on everything but the first birds :saddowns:.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

due to snow, took over an hour to get a raid setup and completed, what a loving mess. legendaries shouldn't happen during winter or at least shouldn't rotate out

Lmao yeah lets stop raids worldwide because in some places there is snow. That being said, my partner in chicago just messaged me saying someone got in an accident driving to a raid so be safe and sensible out there, people.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

I have a Go-tcha and love it. Sometimes the auto-spins are a bit slow, but sometimes not. I have found that leaving the app open - with a good connection - means that I can hit stops somewhere north of 30 mph. Not all the time, but pretty consistently. It's definitely more than the zero I'd get without.

My go-tcha auto spins are only ever slow if there is a 'mon on the screen and the device is trying to catch that.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

The biggest pain is charging it, and popping it in and out of the bracelet or pendant. Mine popped out of the bracelet last night, and I didn't notice it was gone for hours. I looked all through the house, nada. Finally went back to the store I went to last night, checked the parking lot. It was squished down into wet snow. I assumed it was bricked.

Nope. As soon as I got it dry enough on the outside to use the static switch, it connected. It was definitely run over a few times in addition to sitting in wet snow for 25 hours. I'm a fan.

Charging it I dont feel is an issue, as I'd rather charge than buy a battery. I do agree that with the stock wristband it pops out a lot. Mine popped out twice in a week, including yesterday in the snow and was buried for over 12 hours. Also managed to find it and it somehow still works. When I had an off brand wrist band it wasn't an issue. I recommend looking into one. I have this guy: https://www.amazon.com/CUMILO-Color...tcha+pokemon+go

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

due to snow, took over an hour to get a raid setup and completed, what a loving mess. legendaries shouldn't happen during winter or at least shouldn't rotate out

mastershakeman posted:

no , my solution is not rotating out legendaries during winter where it snows. because what if it snows all month

Man I'm in a Chicago suburb visiting(homewood) and we had zero problems getting a 16 person strong raid group together. When people in actual rural areas complain about not being able to do legendary raids I have sympathy but you're in Chicago, where even the suburbs are super active. Goddamn dude just sit in your car and be warm and chill.

Edit: maybe I'm being too harsh at rolling my eyes at you about this since there's only snow on the ground and it isn't actively snowing but still. I will definitely concede that drifting downtown is insanely bad. We tried to join a raid we were theoretically right on top of with both of us ending up blocks away from it.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 1, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Pomplamoose posted:

Who cares the models are the same for both genders.

E: oh wait the evolved form has gender differences but you won't have to worry about that for another 5 years anyway.

:ssh: Some people who have completed dexes pre gen 3 are working to get both genders of all the Pokémon for a fun goal.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ditto, I was catching 4-5 sloths a day before.

I've seen a lot of Feebas lately but they are all female and all horrible stats. And all in gated communities.

Why does it being female matter? I never played past Gen 2 so I'm out of the loop. I've heard you have to walk the specific one you're gonna evolve for 20km too.

I caught my first one today, poo poo stats but nice to finally have one.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 6, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Entropist posted:

It's every hour, but it can also be different in different locations so if you are moving around it could change at some other time. Apparently they use AccuWeather's hourly predictions as the weather.

That's what I thought, but last night this popped up on the scanner at 1:14, notice that it has no weather boost(it was cloudy at the time):

So naturally I went over to get it because I wanted that fail whale, drat it, and it was close by. When I got there at 1:35, I got this weather boosted guy:

I was actually pretty bummed about it, tbh.

Anyways, so I'm leaning towards half an hour changes, or that they're at least possible if the weather changes but I haven't paid much attention to it. All I have to go on are those screenshots taken 20 mins apart that were in relatively close proximity to each other(about 1-2 miles)

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

seiferguy posted:

I actually went to the lone Wailmer nest around Seattle and my cell service crapped out :(

Carkeek? Yeah my friends and I might give it a try tomorrow after raiding a bit but it's notorious for dropping signal, especially if you have T-Mobile. Legend says if you go in through the north side, like where the playground is, you have better luck (until you get deep in obviously but a lot of them seem to hang out on that side anyways).

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah there was a EX raid today for 11am on a weekday. wtf is Niantic thinking?

An idea I saw floated around that I kind of liked(besides "ditch the whole system altogether") was to have an RSVP system for EX raids, so if you can't make it, your pass goes out to someone else. It's not a fix for the problem but would be a bandaid at least(or hopefully at least make it so more people show up to said legendary raid).

I was poking around the Pogo reddit to see if I could find anything from Niantic addressing known issues(I don't use reddit but I've heard they've done that before?), and that led me down a rabbit hole of people complaining and man, you think people in this thread are bad about bitching about EX raids, holy moly. This one stood out particularly to me, enjoy:

:qq: My pokemans :qq:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

I raid a moderate amount and have never gotten a pass, but I choose to raid in a neighborhood that unfortunately doesn't have a ton of sponsored gyms; what it does have is a really solid raid community that will wait for people, jump out if someone runs up a little too late(at least the first time, sometimes two), people who hang around and chat, etc.

So to me its more fun to raid there and if someday I get an ex raid pass, rad. If not, lovely but oh well.

Now there are people in this community who are way more extreme(a group of which go out every Sunday 6am-12 as a caravan and raid) who haven't gotten raid passes at all or just until recently and even they manage to be adults about it and just go :shrug: well this sucks.

So seeing screaming piss babies complaining because they raid like, every day, and some FILTHY CASUAL got a pass makes me appreciate how overall rad and chill my local pogo community is.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Do we even have AR+ on android yet? I haven't been keeping up with it because it's goddamn stupid. Give us trading already, drat it :argh:. I've only done one Kyogre raid thus far. He *is* definitely way farther back than most have been, I think since the birds. We have been spoiled but large target circles and have forgotten our true pokemaster ways.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

seiferguy posted:

There's only so many raids in my area, so who shows up is up to chance. Plus my local discord is dead anyways, and it's not as if I can leave work on a whim. So yeah it's a lovely system.

Edit: I'm also 0 for 3 on Kyogre, and having 7 balls for being the lone red in a sea of yellow because that's who's around me at work is frustrating.

Might I suggest making friends with people you meet at raids?

Really talk tho, the best places to raid if you don't have a regular group in your hood as far as finding people are capitol/first hill and downtown(apparently the trick with downtown according to a friend is that you have to be there *exactly when* the eggs hatch, I imagine part spoofers, part people in the high rises above who can't coordinate to wait for someone)

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Can someone enlighten me why Pikachu with surf is something remotely to give a poo poo about? Honest question. Unless it has a surf board I pretty much could care less.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Yes. It remembers the selected ball when I am manually tossing them. The Go-tcha throws regular ones no matter what.

Can also confirm that what Socom posted isn't the case with the Go-tcha. Booted it up just now(fully updated, android) and used a great ball. After that it's been catching fine.

Socom, where did you get this information?

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

I swore I read somewhere that Spheal's final evolution is gonna be handy against some upcoming legendary(according to some lists its the #4 strongest ice type or something?). I happened to catch a decent IV weather boosted one so I guess I'll keep it around just in case :shrug:

Behold my glorious, lowest-IV-possible-for-a-legendary-catch from earlier(CP is 2236):

I'm keeping the fail whale :allears:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Beastyfella posted:

If there's trading, I will trade with people I know that travel and have regionals I'll never see. He'll, I'll even trade them right back if they want. I just want the Dex entry.

Basically this, I just hate having the empty spaces for places I will never go. The rest I don't mind hunting for or waiting till I luck out and hatch one(One of these days, trapinch :argh:).

I also want trading because I have a high IV version of all the legendaries that my partner missed out on when he was hiking in the woods for several months straight(I think it was all the beasts, maybe lugia and ho-oh too), along with an articuno that he somehow managed to end up getting 0/14 or something like that(has a decent catch rate for everything else, for some reason just couldn't just Arti to save his life). Though knowing Niantic, they'll make it so you can't trade legendaries to maintain some kind of false scarcity, sorry rural players who finally thought your friend could trade one to you!!!

Add me to the pile of people who finally got their first ex raid pass... For a gym my partner and I did one low level raid at in a rural town in mexico in November. Only have to travel the 1,500 miles from seattle to the middle of Baja California(San Felipe)! Hope you enjoy the beach vacation, Mewtwo.

Seriously, I've done 2 raids outside of Seattle(/150). At least if it had been for the other non-Seattle raid (in Chicago) I could have at least got a friend to do it or something.

It's like Niantic tried to respond to how so many people have complained that they have never gotten a pass and fix it... but in typical Niantic fashion tripped and poo poo the bed all over it. I'm guessing a lot of these raids aren't gonna have a high turn out.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Willsun posted:

Can they please put bad guys in this game, I want to feel like I'm defeating enemies instead of blindly catching-and-releasing monsters for our rolling stone mentor Professor Willow who has since gone to bro out with Professor Kukui in Hawaii.

My dream for this game is for cities to have a flying Team Rocket hot air balloon that arrives unannounced flying in random paths and will steal a random Pokemon from you if you stand underneath its shadow. All the while the only music coming from the game is a megaphone audio quality of the Team Rocket theme blaring. If it flies over an entire group during a raid, too bad. Makes you want to set someone for lookout duty.

This idea would be cool, except the GPS location setting can be extremely lovely in a lot of places so it'd make it hard to get out from under it.

* also except for the raid bit, people in most cities already have a bitch of a time forming groups for legendaries, gently caress that. It's cute that you think someone would be virtuous enough to stay out of a raid for that, though :allears:

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 7, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Supposed improvements on the ex system (just loving SCRAP IT ALREADY) incoming as well as acknowledging the bug with the last round of invites: https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/exraids-update-020718/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

This is what the Christmas boxes should have been. Woo raid passes and incubators.

Regular incubators though, F-

• Locked thread