Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Cowslips Warren posted:

Motherfuck. I thought the eggs from today after event launch were supposed to be new mon or gen3? I got a 2k about 6pm AZ time and it hatched to a loving Shellder.

Nope, it's just spawns. Also I'm pretty sure Shellder is a 5k(I just hatched one yesterday).

Edit: Nevermind, been getting them out of 2ks I think. :iiam:

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

seiferguy posted:

I think Seattle gets about one day of windy weather every 20 or so days, so I doubt I'm ever going to see a bagon.

I've caught several without specifically hunting for them :shrug:.

I also caught a 100% Rayquaza the other day. Probably the most stressful raid catch ever; first ever 100% legendary. I love him :allears:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Hatched out of a 10k, found the new Skarmory/Sudowoodo :argh:

edit:

Pomplamoose posted:

Don't forget to save your Luvdisc candy! You'll need 400 to evolve.

DizzyBum posted:

I'm still so angry that Gamefreak did this to us.

Can someone explain what this is all about?

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 16, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

I'm only at 74 for dragon type, and a whopping 54 of those are dratini (67 for the whole family). 2 bagon, 2 kingdra(for gender dex), and 3 Rayquaza, including my 100. So, not bad, I guess.

Edit:

mastershakeman posted:

Jolt/Flareon are still the best attackers of their type in the game because they don't require walking 50km for candies to power up once or wasting a lot of rare candies. Evolving level 35 Eevees for those types would be great

I'm gonna disagree with you here, jolt/Flareon both have super low HP compared to the legendary beasts, even when the beasts are not powered up. For an easy example, my Flareon at lvl 31.5/2460 cp has 102 HP. My Entei at lvl 20/1921 cp has 145 HP. Imo the original eeveelutions, besides vapedog, are way more fragile and don't really stand up in a raid, even when they have resistance to typing.

Besides if you do any decent about of raiding, it's pretty easy to build up enough candies to power up legendaries(sure, not to make but diminishing returns around level 30 make it not worth it anyways), and you have a whole month to do that. Plus, like someone said, that's what rare candies are for. I don't raid that much(at least compared to others in my community), and I'm still sitting on over 200, even after dumping a bunch into certain legendaries, and feebas cause I was impatient.

Tldr if you live somewhere you're able(aka have an active raiding community), you should hit those legendary raids as much as you can/want, for candy if nothing else cause most of the legendaries are kick rear end.

Except suicune
gently caress suicune*

*in pogo anyways.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 17, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Someone a while back asked if anyone else is seeing an increase in 10k eggs and in my area pokemon chat, a lot of people are saying they have. RNG a bit, obviously, but I went from getting maybe one a week, maybe two, to all of a sudden 9 in the past few days, at least, and a lot of people are reporting similar. I'm incubating 6 at the moment, three gotten so close together(I always start 10ks incubating as soon as I get them, even if it means I have to buy an incubator) that they have the same hatch progress. poo poo is wild. No complaints, obviously.

Unless I get 6 more goddamn chime pokemon.

To balance out the shittiness of other peoples raid stories(sorry you guys have to deal with that crap), I really enjoy our local raiding community. One of the frequent people in the neighborhood raid chat got his mom into playing, so she runs around with him raiding and playing and its the cutest thing ever. I got to show her how to check the weather system today :kimchi: (she's a perfectly competent player, just had never noticed the icon on the screen to check it before). I also ended up being offered a ride to the next pair of raids by someone else who frequently raids in the area, even though we ended up having to wait around for 25 minutes for both eggs to pop. He told me all about how he uses his second device to catch for his kids when they're not able to be out with him. He happened to pass by me waiting at the bus stop 20 minutes later and giving me a ride home(super welcome as it was oddly cold in town today). At the second raid we had enough to split into two groups because someone was running late and others couldn't wait, so people were cool waiting around for the latecomer. Its a nice crowd.

They also seem to have fixed the issue where people not being 100% synced makes you error out at raid start, at least a bit. My partner's lobby clock was a full 20 seconds behind mine but when mine clicked down, he just went into the raid. Small victories?

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Throwing my vote in that I'd also prefer a community day with all starters, not just bulbasaur, if they had to go that route. I'd rather something more interesting.

Community day was fun. I missed out on the first 30 minutes but still ended up catching 138(7 shiny), finally getting my gold dragon badge and having enough time left to log into my boyfriend's account to catch him a shiny. Mine were almost all trash but I already have a poo poo ton of dragonites so oh well.

I finally got my first legit ex pass and it's, of course, for a time that's in the middle of a work day(1pm on a Friday,). Luckily my partner has had Fridays off lately but holy gently caress trusting that catch in someone who doesn't raid much and is super casual is stressful.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Finally got my first real EX raid pass, and of course it's for 1pm on a friday, and that's smack in the middle of my workday. Luckily, my boyfriend generally has the day off so he's going to go for me, but talk about pressure(not to mention that he doesn't raid basically ever... because he tends to get 1-2 and then loses interest). Fingers crossed :pray:.

How did everyone do for community day? I ended up with 138 caught/7 shinies, having missed the first 30 minutes of the event. Not a bad haul. IV checking them, and I ended up with one that was a 95.6% @ 437 CP and literally every other one was trash(I had about 5 that were around 75-80, but most were sub 55%). Bad luck, but that was the morning I got the EX pass so oh well.

Julio Cruz posted:

I have no idea how many 0%s I've caught because I really can't be hosed appraising every single birdrat trashmon I come across.

^^^ This. Its the only time I'm jealous of my apple using friends that it auto runs their numbers so they catch low level 0s and 100s, but I'm also not at risk having my account banned with calcyIV :shrug:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Calcy IV is 100% safe, it just reads your screen.

Yeah I know, that's what I said, I guess my language was unclear. The app they use on iphones logs into their account so it auto-runs all the IVs on everything they catch, so they notice 0/100 catches with frequency. Since I'm on android and use Calcy and it only uses screenshots, I have to check catches manually. I dont bother with trashmon/commons/etc, I potentially miss out on some 0/100s. Not worth the tradeoff of checking every single one imo.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

Calcy IV does the same. You know it's not obviously screwing with the app since it doesn't work on fat pokes who block the cp.

:ssh: you can use the attack animation to get them out of the way. Some especially squirmy ones (Rayquaza :argh:) you have to time it so it doesn't block the arc but even if it does its a quick fix once the animation is done. Especially helpful for fatbois like wailmer, ho oh etc

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Willsun posted:

So what does April showers bring? Mr. Mime for everyone since it's April Fool's, that's what.

A fun summer event: halve whatever the drop rate is for revives to truly get us in that "drought" spirit where no one can raid anymore.

I'd be fine with this. I'm tired of throwing out revives.

Since the trio event is ending tomorrow, I wonder if we're getting a week with Rayquaza alone(I think it was supposed to end mid month?) or if we're getting a new legendary altogether? I'm done with this stupid snake (going 0/2 yesterday may have made me bitter).

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

Just learned that the game can show a "wintry mix". It registers as Snow for the in-game weather type, but the actual display effect is a mix of rain and snow. Nice touch.

Oh poo poo, good call! And I've only been playing Pokemon since it came out, I should have remembered that. :doh: Thankfully I didn't evolve it yet.

Now that you mention it, I did notice this on a few 'mons the other day, but now I'm checking and they all look normal.

Porygon Z is also gonna have a 3k experience apparently so keep any good ones maybe it'll be some good in the meta (probably not, to the bane of my 415 candy)

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

The boyfriend did my first ex raid for me since it was the middle of my work day(lovely iv but he caught it) and then right before it I got a second pass for next weekend. He got his first for the same day, and it's on a day we both have off. I'm stoked for both of us. He almost never raids(typically only one day a week when I get him to come out, a chain of 4 last week), so yet more proof the system is stupid.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Does anyone have an iPad Air (A1475 specifically) and if so, can it run pokemon go? I know it's not optimized for tablets but plenty of people play of tablets so. I know they recently made it so a lot of older devices don't work but I'm not really sure where this specific model fits into the time line.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

I swear mareep went from 10ks into 5ks a while back. Am I misremembering?

I did a chain raid tomorrow and hit 13 Rayquaza raids, all on lucky eggs, for a total of 897k exp. Woo! Idk how you guys do even more than that. I was so ready to go home by the time our driver was done.

Edit: vvv I know they are *now* because I've also had a bunch out of recent 10ks. I just swore for a while there I hatched them out of 5ks(after originally being in 10ks)

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 12, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Caught a 100% beldum today. Woo! Unfortunately I /just/ evolved my best beldum(a 93 so still not bad) yesterday. drat. Fingers crossed I hatch some since they're supposed to be boosted hatches as they're pretty rare around here.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Ballz posted:

Lugia is coming back to replace Rayquaza. I’m cool with occasionally revisiting old legendaries, for those of us who missed out the first time/don’t spend all day with a posse hitting up 30 raids like goons in this thread do.

Sorry you don't have friends :shrug:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Steve Jorbs posted:

Maybe you should be telling the parents these things instead of constantly venting at us. I know unsolicited parenting advice is usually received fairly well.

I wasn’t around for it, but in a local raid group last night one of the women got grabbed by some drunk guy and some of the others stepped up and tossed him the gently caress out of there.

Are you a seattle goon? Cause this happened Sunday with our raid group. Guy came up being loud and obnoxious and asking what we were up to(a good 20 of us standing there) and someone said we were playing Pokémon go. He started rambling and going off about it and being weirdos we all just ignored him and looked at our phones. Then he grabbed one of the girls shoulders yelling something like "what if I just shake you out of this" (I'm guessing more than alcohol was involved) and immediately like 3 people sprang forward and grabbed him. The group basically shuttled him out of the circle and he stumbled off. Was pretty proud of this group of nerds for having a knee jerk NOPE reaction.

In other news, we chain raided and did 12 raids that day. I got my dumb shiny finger wing bird(boyfriend got 2! Driver got 0 :(). I hope they don't go back and do each previous legendary for two weeks at a time. Maybe block them together(all 3 original legendary birds, 3 beasts, etc) if they have feel the need to re-release them so soon.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 20, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Here's a good guide for mewtwo counters: https://pokemongohub.net/gym-raid-update/legendary-raid-battles/mewtwo-raid-boss/

I can't stress enough how important getting their early is. If there are enough people, they generally split into teams and all this is arranged while waiting on the countfpqn
Better to get their early and know which group code vs being the guy running up trying to sort out which of the group of 50 people he should be with.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

8. 5 people in now.....oh but one of those is a 8 year old kid with severe ADHD. Half the time during the raid he is watching me text on my phone, or tapping on the screen nowhere near Mewtwo, or rubbing his thumb over the charge button. I offer to do the raid for him, and his dad refuses. The kid's a level 33 and can actually help a lot, but keeps getting distracted with dodging and seeing what Pokemon everyone else is using.

You know you don't actually have to click the pokemon for it to attack right? Clicking literally anywhere on the screen works. I like to click over the charge button.

That whole situation sounds really annoying but tbh you should have spoken up and been like "no, this is the start time we agreed on". If some people had to go cause of work or whatever, sure, split into two groups, making sure group two has enough people to do it(an easy way to sell it to people reluctant to wait: second, smaller group = more balls).

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Hatched two larvitar back to back, got 125 freaking candy. Event rules. Also FINALLY clearing out my low IV legendary stash

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

The Zombie Guy posted:

Just got an update saying that the scanner will prioritize nearby Mons that aren't already in the dex. It's not a filter like I would have preferred, but it's a step in the right direction.

Oh, I thought I'd posted about this, it's been happening since the April fools event started. Boyfriend started to notice shadows on his scanners(lol get gud, filthy casual scum) and when we crossed checked with maps it appears to show shadows within a mile. Pretty rad imo!

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

does this also include pokemon for which you don't have the evolved forms of yet?

No(Assuming you mean will this highlight charmander if you don't have a charizard). Only things you don't have in your Dex

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

DaStampede posted:

Magicarp, not you too!

Handy list; thank you.

Afaik (according to nerds on my local board), Magikarp hasn't been a potential Ditto since the water event when it's shiny form was released.

Yall still hunting Ditto makes me feel super lucky. I caught one 5 minutes after getting the quest.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Counterpoint: no. My last one was for some random street corner by an Amazon office. Another one is at a hospital. Now if only I could get a mewtwo above 77...

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Thanks thread for saying that moltres was still the research reward this morning. Happened to read that on my walk to work and was jazzed, because I was one stamp short of getting the fire chicken on my baby alt(it's first). Managed to cash in before it switched over!

Edit: for everyone bemoaning the excellent curve throw quest and the dry up of wailmer, nosepass also have huge catch circles, as well as ponytail if those spawn where you're at.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 1, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Consummate Professional posted:

Will a lucky egg boost the XP you get from completing research quests?

It does, I did it. I waited till I had all 3 complete on 7/8 (8/8 is just to catch mew and gives an additional experience reward). Was a nice little chunk of change since I was due for a mass evolve anyways.

Shiny Makuhita + Meditite confirmed. I'm still spurned after not getting a shiny whale :saddowns:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

I somehow managed to get the drat thing connected, finally. I then tried closing the game and reopening it like normal, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I was able to reconnect without any issue. So there's that!

I wish I could say for sure what finally got it to stick, but I have no clue. Hopefully it remains stable. It's a really cool device when it's working.

You need an iOS device to update it. I don't have access to one.

It's an issue with the go+ and since the Gotcha is just a go+ repackaged, it's just a thing that happens sometimes. Super irritating, but it is what it is. Fwiw turning off bluetooth and waiting for a few seconds(I normally "time" this by going back into the game, tapping the on screen button(tells you Bluetooth is off), then reconnecting BT), it almost always works for me. My order of fixes normally goes turn off BT > Restart game > Unpair device. I never do anything within my phones BT regarding Unpairing/forgetting it.

Afaik with that update it was specifically for Apple because it was only iOs having issues re: auto spin.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Pro mode is fulldex without rare candy and powering up legendaries instead :haw: (maps)

Yeah for real. I think I put rare candy into my first decent feebas because I just wanted a milotic but otherwise I've filled my Dex through hunting and buddy walking. I'm 15 anorith candy away from a complete dex sans regionals but like hell I'm using any rare candy on them

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Niantic strikes again. Boyfriend was texting to buy tickets from 9 on and on multiple devices/browsers and the website wouldn't load. Same thing happened to almost everyone in my group chat (1 guy managed to get tickets for both days, somehow). Oh well Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż Niantic gonna Niantic

Edit:

Louisgod posted:

Idea: Don't go.

Personally we were going because the boyfriend is from there, so we figured it'd be a nice excuse to go there and see his family(and experience Chicago *not* during winter)

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 11, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

:same:

What does this mean? Is there now Rare Candy in addition to <Pokémon> Candy? Because if there is, I'm apparently blind, and missed whenever it happened...

Yeah man, rare candy has been a thing for... A long time. I believe since at least legendary raids got released last go fest. You can only get them from raids, and higher level raids have a higher chance of more candy.

My first shiny was a shiny Pikachu, but my only non event/CD ones are two Magikarp. Can't complain since even a crappy iv red gyarados still looks baller as gently caress.

Unrelated but I found a 100% skarmory in my collection today :geno:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

I got an Omanyte encounter off what I'm 99% sure was hatching 2 eggs (the 1% is hatching one egg).

Can confirm, just got and completed this one this morning.

Also walking 3 candy for sure gets you kabuto(also done this morning)

The only AW quest that gets you an aero is evolve a omastar or kabuto.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Edward IV posted:

Has anyone had any experience playing on a slow internet connection? My brother and are go to Taiwan and we're going to be be doing international roaming with T-Mobile. While we'll have unlimited data, we're going to be limited to 128 kbps of speed. I've done some basic tests by running my phone on 3G which caps my speed at 300 kbps and the game doesn't seem to play all that differently than on LTE. I hope that's enough to do my daily field research and catch several Farfetch'd.

When I was in rural mexico I couldn't run the game at all(despite having a connection about the same as what you mentioned, same provider). My internet in generally mostly didn't work or worked agonizingly slow. I've heard there are mobile wifi/hotspot type things you can use that make it much better in asia(sorry I don't have more details on this one). T mobiles ~international wifi~ was basically useless for anything but checking fb but still took forever to load.

Hey ya'll, research quest "one excellent curveball" gets you an absol right now

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I usually wait 'til I have about 50-100 regular Pokeballs to set autocatch on. I also make a habit of using Great balls for everything.

Tbh I throw out great balls now and use ultra balls for manual catching. Why use something with a 1.5 multiplier when ultras have a 2.0? Getting rid of great balls clears bag space for ultras so I constantly have over 100.

In other news, kinda disappointed they didn't introduce clampearl during this event

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Do unowns count as legendaries? I was planning on just doing an immediate traceback, but that might be impossible.

Guess the silph road can finally fulfill their stated purpose.

No, but if the person you're trading to doesn't have one it will still be counted as a special trade(legendaries/shinies/dex entries) so can only be done once a day. I doubt they'll make it as specific as every letter is unique.

Community day was pretty great. Caught about 150 larvitar on both accounts, both accounts got 5 shiny and both got 4 91+ iv larvs(notable mostly only because my alt is lvl 29 so the IV's are random).

Did anyone else see that privacy policy release? That sure was... Something. I hope one of the sites does a breakdown of its implications.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

kensei posted:

Driving past an EX Raid Gym this morning on my way to work, I beat up a Wailmer because I had a quest for a Rare candy at 7 AM. Got a pass today for that gym next Thursday at 10 AM. :lol:

I got one a few weeks ago from a swablu raid I did on my alt (during whatever event where raids gave double xp or whatever). After I finished I did it on my main because I was like "man if I get a pass on my alt not my main I'm gonna be pissed." sure enough got them for both accounts.

Unfortunately now I'm one of those loving weirdos walking around with two devices(free hotspotting with T-mobile + boyfriend had a spare s5 laying around)

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

voodoorootbeer posted:

Has anybody had a PTC login issue (Android, Galaxy S7) that won't go away? My kid's account keeps refusing to login. I used to be able to fix it by logging in to PTC on the computer but that stopped working. Then, I could fix it by force stopping the app but that stopped working too. Now I have to uninstall the app and reinstall and he can play for like an hour before I get the unable to login error. I can't link a Gmail account because his PTC is tied to my Gmail, which already has my pogo account. I'm gonna try to link a Facebook to it but I'm not optimistic about that working.

Linking a PTC account to a FB and logging in that way has worked wonders for all my unfortunate friends who made PTC accounts, so give it a shot!

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Willsun posted:

Sometime in the first half year of the game they did a massive graveyard sweep and deleted all the stops and gyms in a majority of them. That's not to say Pokemon don't still spawn in there, but at least it stops people from hanging around someone's family plot for 15 minutes trying to take down a gym every day.

Bruce Lee's grave is a gym and that whole graveyard is filled with stops. Luckily it's never triggered an ex raid. I've only raided there a few times, and man, it feels awkward as gently caress standing around in a graveyard playing.

Phylodox posted:

This ghost Pokémon quest is pissing me off. Went for a drive last night. At two in the morning. In the fog. Past a graveyard. Nothing. :argh:

Check the silph road nest atlas for your area if you haven't already. Also join any local fb, and see if they have a discord. Your easiest bet is to find a nest.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Old Swerdlow posted:

Thanks for the info guys, I definitely will order a couple for my wife in the near future.

I really hate having to be constantly locked to my phone on walks with my dog. It’s one of the primary reasons I quit this game in the first place.

One of the biggest selling points for the gotcha for me is that it keeps tracking egg distance while you dont have the game up; I walk 1.5 miles a day each way for work, this way I can set it up when I leave and then spend my walk reading/browsing the internet/etc. Just have to keep an eye out to watch for it disconnecting occasionally. I've also picked up a couple shinies using it, so that's always a pretty cool surprise.

I've found that if I'm having a bitch of a time getting it to connect, I turn off/on my bluetooth, and it does the trick 95% of the time.

In other news, I finally decided to put some alolan eggs in incubators on my alt(I save them for 10ks normally)... Two rats in a row :suicide:.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Post poste posted:

Welp, I'm out of pokeballs until I get near some stops. Is there a good way to plan a pokestops tour?

https://www.pokemongomap.info/ is your friend if you live anywhere near civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

So my friend broke the friend system last night:

He gave details of how, no third party software was used but Jesus christ. Gonna bop around with my dude tonight and see if I can replicate this. he did it in the space of hours while out and about playing :psyduck:. My understanding was that the friend system is supposed to be days based.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 3, 2018

• Locked thread