Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Looks like we're getting both Articuno and Regice during the three hour window. So basically:

link posted:

So, we get 3 hours of:

"OMW to the L5 raid. Can join ONLY if Articuno. Starting at hatch?"

and

"I'll be there at hatch. Will do either right away."

and

"I'll come if Articuno. I'm 10 minutes away. Can we start 15 minutes after hatch?"

I'm glad I'll be doing this in a car with a group of people so I don't have to deal with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

DaStampede posted:

The level of hate that will ensue from everyone if there is no turtle squad while that stupid rear end Pikka is rocking shades.

They've already confirmed squirtle squad for this Sundays CD.

Glad it looks like they possibly responded to backlash for this Saturdays articuno window and made it only the bird.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

X13Fen posted:

Got my first EX- raid invite!

For a Friday lunchtime

On a day I'm working

At a gym halfway across town

:(

Do goons not have friends?

Actual effort post: if you don't have any friends that play, try hitting up discord to see if someone is willing to do it for you(a lot of discords even make a sub section for each ex raid so you can ask in there if anyone has a second device that can do it for you). You can link your account to a dummy fb so you're not having to give them your Google account info.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

omnibobb posted:

I want to get a cheap pay as you go phone for my kids to play PoGo hotspotted to my phone. What would people recommend for a phone that will not (likely) get turned off in the next year?

I have the Huawei honor 6 that I use as my main phone and it runs the game smoothly, even well enough that I can have to running in the background while I use other apps. Would recommend. It's got a super solid battery. I paid 250 for mine at a box store but I've seen them online for cheaper.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

My fourth Feebas from a 10k egg today. I am in hell.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The only good attacker I have is Hariyama,

:crossarms: You know Milotic (feebas' evolution) is the third best water attacker in the game right(tied with vaporeon basically). I'm guessing you don't have a full squad of gyarados or a kyogre so I don't understand what you're bitching about.

In other news, go fest kicked rear end surprisingly. No connectivity issues at all, caught a 100% feebas and mudkip. We ended up walking 14.5 miles through the 8 hours the event lasted. Only (minor) gripes: the middle of the park had a serious stop shortage, so I regularly was running out of pokeballs, and I wish there had been some gyms with raids in there. I can kinda get why they didn't (so nerds didn't assault each other over gym ownership or some bs) but imo they could have done like they did at articuno raid day and have at event start all gyms spring a lugia raid. Even only having 6(the 3 team tents at each entrance) would have been a welcome break from the monotony of constantly catching. Those are minor complaints though, it was a blast.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

It takes ~20 minutes to get to the park from where I work.

Also not all of us wok in office buildings. You kind of cant put healthcare on hold to go catch pokemon. :v:

Do goons just like not have friends?

Join your cities discord if they have one along with the FB group and ask if anyone can do it for you. You can set up a dummy FB account and link it to your pogo account and give that out for people to use for the raid so that you're not compromising your gmail.

I did an ex raid for a guy in a similar situation that posted about it on discord a few months back. Had never met the guy, did his raid, got him the cat. We just met for the first time yesterday and he bought me beers and traded me a Tropius for my trouble :dance:.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Willsun posted:

This is kind of a lot asking for people to get out into 100°F weather to get a Mewtwo for you during work hours. Not that my town doesn't have people asking for help, but even we're smart enough to know it's a huge favor to ask during this time of the year, especially on weekdays.

Froist posted:

I always assumed this was a case of "people who were going anyway taking a second phone for you" rather than people going genuinely out of their way to do the ex-raid solely for someone else..

It's literally this. The last two raids I haven't been able to go to, I've found people to carry along an extra phone, tablet, etc for BOTH my accounts. This happens frequently in our raiding community.Out of the million passes that go out, someone is bound to have a second (or third or fourth!) device and a hot spot that they're willing to help out with. It doesn't hurt to ask. Remember not everyone works a 9-5 :shrug:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Here's the updated research tasks:

edit: Also no more rattata out of (fresh) eggs

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

NZAmoeba posted:

I think the IVs can only become worse (within a certain margin), they don't go completely random again. Someone feel free to correct me on this.

A lot of people in my raiding group have had iv's go up, some substantially. Most notably, someone rerolled a mewtwo into a 100% to his wife(was an 88~)

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

My 10th mewtwo on my main, where my highest IV has been 86, I present to you:

TURDCAT

Someday I'll get a good one :sigh:.

I showed it to a friend and he tried to cheer me up by showing the results from a reroll he did:

Was originally an 88

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 4, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I’ve never gotten an EX pass. This system sucks ballsack.

Have you *tried* to get one, though? As in, gone out and raided a bunch on a gym known to give out passes several times in a week? A good portion of the ones I've gotten are because a gym a block from my work is ex eligible and I hit that thing every time there is a raid there, sometimes even using my pass on poo poo like a swablu or other weak crap. The system sucks but ex passes aren't rare anymore, its just a matter of figuring out(through discord or fb generally) which gyms are common ex locations and raiding at them as much as you can. It really isn't difficult. At this point I think anyone living in a reasonably sized city who is complaining about not getting a pass is just bitching about having to play the game to get this one specific reward.

Edit: vvv Oh, okay. You're one of the goons that just want to bitch about poo poo even though there is a simple and easy fix, got it.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 4, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Nitramster posted:

Will it keep the move through evolution? If it does that's probably bad since the evo's wont have STAB huh?

So the goals for these 2 community days are pretty much just going to be gather all the good IV eevee's you can and get a lot of candy, no rush to evolve during the event.

Also unfortunately this seems to lay to rest any hopefulness of gen 4 eeveelutions.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Cretin90 posted:

Me, last night: Meh, I have just enough candy to evolve this 82% IV Machop, and it's not like I'll find a higher one anyway.

This morning, while walking into work, a 2km egg hatches:

Fwiw I always hold off on evolving until I have enough candy for the complete evolution(so in this case, 125 candy), it's served me pretty well in the past.

Semi-related: I finally had 125 to evolve my first Beldum, a 91. I joked that I would hatch a 100 the next day. I didn't! I caught it.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Willsun posted:

Good to hear that Last Resort will carry over into evolutions, but...unless it's some really overpowered move, why would you want to ruin STAB damage for whatever type it becomes and its respective type's fast attacks?

I'm still very curious but won't hold my breath that Last Resort will be anything other than a normal type move with lukewarm dps. I thought maybe it would be worthy on a Vaporeon because it's only got the one option of Water Gun as its fast attack and it got nerfed once, but you'd only use Vaporeon for the water advantage since it has no other type attack, and Last Resort would have to be super strong to make it have more utility than Water Gun.

So unless its dps is like 15 or it generates insane energy for the charge move, fuggetaboutit.

It's a 2 bar charge move that does 90, not a fast move. Silph road just did an interesting write up of it: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/95axz3/the_a_to_z_analysis_of_last_resort_and_eevee/

"A full breakdown can be found in the article but know that Espeon and Flareon will both break the top 10 neutral DPS without weather boost. In Partly Cloudy, Espeon provides the highest neutral DPS in the game and Flareon lands right behind the top 2 generalists in the game.

They’ll be great generalists for fighting gyms without the Rare Candy costs of the other top options. A fully powered Espeon will be a reasonable option for any Raid Bosses that don’t resist it, similar to Rayquaza, Mewtwo and Gengar."

Ive got 2 hundos that I'm going to evolve into Espeon during the event just to be safe, if it turns out to be garbage at least I can TM it away."

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 8, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

slave to my cravings posted:

I’m glad they seem to be listening. Trying to figure out the best IVs (esp. bad for iOS users who can’t use calcy IV) and evolve Pokémon in the last 20 minutes of community day always sucked.

IOs has poke genie which is also a safe iv checker.

Pez posted:

I guess that's to give people time to walk for the guaranteed evolutions. I don't really care about having the moves as much as I want SHINY EVERYTHING.

You can pre-walk a few of them to 10k before the event, they just have to be your buddy and the right time of day/night to evolve, apparently(per silph road and they tend to be accurate about such things)

I hit 40 last night finally :yeah:. 2 years and a month to the day, apparently(though I didn't have phone service till about 5 months after launch so my playing was limited to hoping something spawned at my house). I did the 5 mil from 39 > 40 in under two months too. Pretty pumped.

Now what. Besides relicanth, my Dex is full. Guess I'll keep working on my gender dex.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 8, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Willsun posted:

Did anyone ever figure out if, since Niantic extended the evolve time to Monday to get Last Resort, we would have a huge window open to receive Last Resort at the start of Sunday's community day event until 1pm PST Monday?

I assume the windows for us to get Last Resort are going to be 11am-2pm PST Saturday, and then 11am PST Sunday-1pm PST Monday. Wish they'd specify because a lot of locals are nervous about evolving an Eevee they want after 2pm on Sunday when community day normally ends. I guess the Sunday community day just means all the extra Eevee spawns only go from 11am-2pm as usual and they'll turn them off but leave the Last Resort carry-over from evolve eligible to 1pm Monday mainly as a chance for people to walk 10km if they wanted it on an Espeon/Umbreon.

Some people said Last Resort is alright on an Espeon and Flareon if you wanted like a neutral all-rounder attacker, but who doesn't have good type advantage members to switch to unless you're like early level 20s and lower?

Niantic has said that the evolution window for the special move is for the start of community day Saturday until Monday 1pm. So from Sat 2pm-1pm Monday.

Yes, "some people" (the silph road) have said that it'll make Espeon and flareon top tier attackers. I'm planning on evolving some because I'm swimming in tm's.

Edit: it was put into the master file and oof. It doesn't look good. Last resort is canceled

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 11, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

pubic works project posted:

I'd rather have a Bulbasaur community day over Chikorita.

You missed it. It was the second one.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Not Cubone?

My boyfriend calls Cubone "baby weirdo" and I kind of love it.

hamburgers in pockets posted:

My Arcanine since the game first came out has been Doge Caliente, but I may have to move that name over to Entei.

I still have my original Arcanine and it's name is CALIENTE PUP :hf:

In other news, Go Hub on point:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

I am surprised that a mild joke at the expense of a guy who asked a question while quoting a post which contained the answer to his question warrants this much reaction.

Personally I can't wait till all the people who rejoined when friends got added lose interest and quit again. Ever since friends were rolled out this thread has been full of whiny tone-police types, as well as people asking super easy to Google questions.

edit for content:

Cowslips Warren posted:

Can we all sit down and agree that Unown needs to be put into eggs?

I don't, actually. I think they serve being event pokemon very well, and with trading(assuming you have an active community), they're not unobtainable for those that just want the entry.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 17, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

27 different entries is a lot.

It's true, and how dare you have to work for something in the game?

Edit: if trading wasn't a thing, and you only could get them through luck/events, I'd get where you're coming from more.

Edit 2: vvv Its so beautiful :swoon:. What was the IV before?

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 17, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Unowns were fairly easy to get with scanners and impossible without. And the first Chicago pokefest I only got a half dozen, didn't even get all the letters available, because of how horrible the event ran. I'm fine with rarity existing for the generation that's being launched but after that poo poo should be common.

I do agree that they shouldn't be this insanely rare. Maybe on the level of bagon/beldum, stuff like that.

Edit: What is even reading comprehension, disregard.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 17, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Bogart posted:

yeah gently caress these CASUAL GAMERS am i right?

Naw gently caress people who can't google basic things and tone police.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Well, he did say it was the first go fest, which was a disaster, and not the second one which you're presumably talking about

Doh you're totally right, I misread that. I'm dumb :downs:. Sorry shakeman, you weren't being a complaining weirdo this time.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 17, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Kly posted:

imagine being this elitest about loving pokemon.
how DARE some one ask a question about pokemon go in the pokemon go thread that gets a wopping 20 posts a day

Didn't know "try googling your problem first" or "read the article" was an elitist position to take.

vvv When did SA start being populated almost entirely by people who whine about Big Meanies on the internet? I've noticed this in other subforums too. What happened.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 17, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Caught several larvitar and a pupitar in the last couple days. Traded a really bad one to myself for a reroll and it came out a 91 lucky. Event owns.

Zombie Dachshund posted:

- I tried to collect lots of cool gifts from the pier. Of course, I would never get gifts from the cool stops (but Starbucks would always give me a gift, natch.) I wish there were a way to swap/substitute the postcards because grinding for gifts feels especially silly.

You can at least delete them now, so that's cool(items > trash can next to gifts > select card)

DizzyBum posted:

Keep doing it and let him burn off all his golden razzes. It's a hell of a lot easier to farm potions and revives than golden razzes.

I have almost 400, so good luck with that(if people raid with any type of frequency, it is super easy to stockpile them)

Bina posted:

Ooh- I'll have to check my email.

Anyone live in the Seattle area?

A few of us, ya. Seiferguy and at least one other I can't remember. If you haven't, join the larger Pokemon Go Seattle FB page. It has the link to all the discords in Seattle and the surrounding cities. Enjoy never having to miss out on a legendary because the raid community is strong here.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Neat, thanks. $50 feels like a bit much though.

If you play with any kind of frequency it's worth it. The stardust grind is great(I went from being almost out of stardust to over a million pretty quickly), it's caught multiple shinies, and most importantly, for me, it tracks egg distance when the app isn't up. I walk 3+ miles to work and back every day and it hatches eggs like no one's business while I read fb/news/forums. This is especially handy for the celebi quest.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Oh, huh. I was going to ditch this old Gengar because he's only like 75% IV and his charge move is poison, but he has shadowclaw.

...maybe I should keep him around.

I see a lot of trade requests for this moveset and any other legacy moveset so I'd keep it around, personally.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Fritzler posted:

Hey, anyone here from Seattle? My GF and I are here for a week and we’re looking for a place to raid for the whole period on Saturday. Would like to go downtown probably. Any recommend some discord’s with a path other people will be following?

You're in luck! Here's a post from our local FB page:

and the map:

I won't personally be there but I know the "host" from raiding and he's a pretty cool guy. Counterbalance park is at 700 Queen Anne Ave N. Be on time, be prepared to walk and raid/catch at the same time, and be willing to run if it has bad IVs and they're already at the next raid. Bonus: it takes you through all of downtown. Have fun!

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

tangy yet delightful posted:

I had to dunk "make 3 nice catches in a row" because apparently I can make 10 great curves in a row against legendary birds but 3 nice catches is too much to ask this noob for.

...You know that punching above counts for the quest, right? Aka you get progress for "three nice throws" if you throw greats. It doesn't have to be the specific throw, just that or better.

Moltres day was okay. We got off track somehow so ended up only doing 21~ raids but got 8 shinies between two accounts(including one 93%!), and 3 98's.

I'm personally hype for Mewtwo month. I can not get a good one on my main to save my life; out of 17, none have been higher than 88%. If you include my alt, which has two 91's, that's 2 over 90 IV Mewtwo out of 31 raids. Its become a joke with my local group how bad my luck has been.

Siets posted:

The fact that you can get an EX raid pass, show up to an organized event, and then whiff all your throws on Mewtwo and fail to catch it really grinds my gears about the current system. Bringing Mewtwo to normal raids during a time-limited window is absolutely the right call, pokegrognards be damned.

It's not the system's fault if you can't throw well enough to hit the pokemon(unless "whiff" means something different where you are from?). Mewtwo has double the base catch rate of other legendaries, doesn't move around much, and is pretty easy to hit?

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

:hf:

:911:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

apparently you can hatch shiny alolan grimer and geodude so that's neat

Shiny regular grimer and geodude, actually. Shiny geodude looks like a golden turd :allears:

rotinaj posted:

So, I just got into this after my two buddies showed me the game and invited me to play with them.

It's shockingly fun to walk around and chuck pokeballs at random poo poo on my lunch break.

Start working on curveballs now and thank me later.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

no, i mean you can hatch the shiny alolan variants too. someone i did an articuno raid with earlier had her mom send her a screenshot of a shiny alolan geodude.

:crossarms: Are you sure? I haven't heard any reports of alolan shinies being released(both in my local community or on any website), and google isn't turning up any screenshots either. Maybe they're talking about how if you've caught the shiny version of geodude or grimer, if you go to the dex you can see the alolan shiny version as well apparently?

Edit: vvv Have any links? Not trying to be obtuse, just not seeing alolan shinies anywhere.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 15, 2018

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Thank you, but I was trying to say that I'm on android and maybe that's why it's not working. The packaging from GameStop says it's for I phones, so maybe I got a really old one? It just stopped showing up on Bluetooth at all so I'm recharging it again, even though I didn't use it since the last recharge.

I have android phones and my two connect to mine fine, especially lately. If they don't connect the first time, I turn Bluetooth off, wait ~15 seconds, turn it back on and it almost always connects then. Make sure you're connecting in game and not through the Bluetooth menu.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

seiferguy posted:

We are probably gonna get feebas day aren't we?

Also, we are probably gonna have Meteor Mash as a special move which I'm gonna guess will be a 2 bar 90 dps attack.

I doubt it. It doesn't follow the pattern of 3 evolution pokemon, plus it has that whole walking barrier to evolving it.

I'm excited for Beldum day as my alt currently has over 300 beldum candy but hasn't caught or hatched a single good Beldum.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I think I might break down and get a gotcha so it can just spin and catch everything near my desk all day

You should! It's great for hatching eggs, grinding xp/dust, and collecting items, as well as catching all the trash you wouldn't bother with for mass evolves. Mine caught me my first shiny wailmer this morning on my run :toot:. If you don't mind ordering from the UK and waiting, it's generally recommended to order from Code Junkies directly, since occasionally some bought off Amazon have been DOA. However, if you're impatient, I just bought a replacement one from this seller, and it came with a slip saying it was tested and verified to be legit before being sent out, which is the first time I've seen that out of the 4(:sigh:) I've bought.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Seattle has a pogo map again, praise be. As far as I can tell the actual pokemon aspect of it is a WIP, but its actual star feature is the real time raid map. We ended up doing a small chain raid of 6~ raids today. For seattle people its ultrapokemap.com. Finally caught a decent mewtwo on my main :3:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

I've been super lucky with Mewtwo. Out of the 9 I've caught, 6 (including this) have been 89% or higher. (One of the two that ran was 96%.)

drat that is super lucky. I'm at 82/83 caught between two accounts and have only 4 91s, one 93, and two 95s to show for it. The best one I ever saw(a 2268 I think) was the first and only one to ever run from me :suicide:. The rest have been trash.

Regarding their latest news, it seems like they're going to be tweaking the nest system. A bunch of people in my local chat are freaking out thinking they're getting rid of nests entirely("As you explore a given area, you will notice that a greater variety of Pokémon species will appear over time and at different rates." and "Certain areas, such as parks and nature reserves, will now contain more varied Pokémon species."). Guess we'll see!

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

FistEnergy posted:

Yup. Slowpoke all day for that quest. Psyducks too.

Psyduck/Golduck are pure water type so its spawn rates aren't boosted by the psychic event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Fake James posted:

Can confirm Unowns are more common. 2 friends reported seeing them in downtown Chicago in different spots, and got an alert on discord to a couple more in the suburbs.

First EX raid ever today, and I failed to catch it. Apparently the circle lock trick doesn't work anymore, or maybe just not on Deoxys?

It still works as of a few hours ago. I'd guess you're throwing too late, maybe?

In other news, after 53 mewtwos on my main I finally scored a 98%. 13 attack :negative:.

• Locked thread