Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Balk
Oct 15, 2011
Do any of you pros have EX raid tips for a casual player?

I’ve done maybe a dozen raids (mostly low level ones I can solo) and I just got an EX raid pass for a gym I hit on community day. The pass appeared in my item bag with no fanfare - I’d have missed it completely if I hadn’t been scrolling through my items to get to the gifts. It’s one of those early afternoon weekday raids, but I want to give it a shot since I may never get another pass.

Can you usually just show up or is it worth tracking down a local group to make sure there’ll be a decent turnout? What kind of team should I use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
Show up early, follow the turbo nerd, button mash with anything. Sounds simple enough, thanks! I’ll send some gifts your way a bit later.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011

PetraCore posted:

1613 9464 3376

Lvl 10 in US.

Do I just add a bunch of people and send the gift I got from a pokestop to someone at random?

That’s pretty much what I’ve been doing. Still need to go through the spreadsheet though.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
Today I learned that you view stats for distance walked and number of battles and so on by clicking your medals. Had no idea about that until I saw the stats display on the friends list and googled where to find it for myself. Guess I’m not too observant when it comes to this game.

It’s neat to see though. Doing a little bit every day adds up, I guess.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
I wish we had a way to clear egg space besides hatching them. The items are great, but I’d rather get eggs and I have nowhere to put them. It’s very tempting to blow my last coins on incubators, good job Niantic.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011

DaStampede posted:

Are gifts exclusive to stops, gyms, or both?

I got them from both.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
I was wondering if it was just random chance, but it does seem that they lowered the odds. The route that coughed up 5 gifts in no time on Friday only gave me 3 yesterday and today.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
I went on Silph Road looking for a local Discord group that might be going to my EX raid, and found a couple. The larger of the two wasn’t accepting invites. So I hop on the smaller one, ask about the raid, and get told it’s probably being planned by the large group.

The smaller group wanted people to post a screenshot of their trainer page before letting them in. Okay, no big deal. The large group is a bit more discerning, though:

"**-----BECOMING VERIFIED-----**” posted:

We have laid out the goal of disallowing spoofers (faking GPS location) from having access to our community as we believe this ruins the game and community itself. For that purpose we have a vetting process to all new members (including members of other Discord groups).

Please note Staff aren't always available to review applications, so please be patient.

We have 3 requirements for all applicants (this is to ensure new members understand the basic game mechanics and aren't just trying to get a free ride in raids from our longer playing members):
1) You must be at least level 25
2) Your account must be at least 2 months old
3) You must post a confirmation that you have read, understand, and agree to our rules posted in this channel

You have 2 options for becoming verified:
1) Post a comprehensive video of your account. The video should go something like this:
- Be logged out of Pokémon Go and then show yourself logging in
- Show your entire trainer profile including your medals, start date, and your gym numbers
+ Scroll through the world map - click on list under Gym Badges, then click on the icon in the bottom left
- View each of your top 10 CP Pokémon, starting with your highest. Be sure to scroll down on each one so we can see the capture date and location.
- If any of your Pokémon were not caught locally, be sure to provide an explanation about why you were in that location.

2) Meet a screener, mod, or admin in person and let them review your account. **Note**: It is your responsibility to find a convenient time/place for them to meet you.

:stare:
That looks like going through customs compared to the other one. Is this kind of thing common? Or necessary?

Balk
Oct 15, 2011

PetraCore posted:

I'd argue ice/fairy instead of fire is a pretty big difference.

I took over my first gym! Me and someone else I couldn't see were grinding it down, and they managed to take it before me but for some reason only left an extremely baby abra. Like, 20 cp. So I kicked the baby in the face and dropped a 700 cp seviper in there to maybe give some other mystic people a chance to drop in better pokemon.

I am excited to get some pokecoins for this, since seviper hasn't come back yet I don't think. You do get an announcement when that happens, right?

EDIT: The gym is in a pretty high-traffic area so I have no illusions about keeping control of it if some other mystic players don't reinforce my hold fairly quickly, but it was still fun and I think I'm getting the hang of how battling works in this game.

You do get a notification like the ones about friends when that happens, yep. You’ll get 1 coin for every 10 minutes he stays in the gym (I think) and you can earn a maximum of 50 per day.

I usually drop weak stuff in gyms myself. I don’t like grinding down the Blissey/Snorlax/Slaking tag team that’s in every other gym and I don’t really want to inflict it on anyone else. Might as well make the lineup interesting.

Edit: While I’m here, have an EX raid trip report:
The rumored turbo nerd and his binder of phones never showed up, but we did get a pretty good turnout. 4 or 5 elementary schoolers, a larger group of older kids, me, another goony type, and a grandmother who started the game with her granddaughter and kept playing after the kid quit since it got her walking around more.

Maybe 16 people in all. Most had levels in the 20s but we took down Mewtwo no problem. I caught myself a 98% one! :woop:

The highlight of the raid was grandma getting down to her last ball, asking one of the kids for help, and the kid hitting an excellent curveball to catch it for her.

Balk fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 28, 2018

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
I hardly ever see ghosts at night. They seem much less rare in the early morning (5:30 - 6:30 or so). If you’re fortunate enough to have a ghost nest in your area, that’s your best bet if you want to catch a bunch quickly.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
In the 6 friend eggs I’ve hatched so far (thanks, goons!), I’ve received:
4 Meowth
1 Sandshrew
1 Rattata (when did they put him in the pool? And why? :negative:)

Silph Road had the odds of getting Sandshrew/Grimer/Vulpix at 45%, but that was before rats started hatching. I guess he’s driving the odds of getting the good stuff even lower?

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
The birds land at 1:00 central time.

Is anyone else noticing a lot more ghosts around? 1 or 2 in a morning is normal, but I caught 6 on my run today, one of which was a Sableye. Didn’t think he could appear outside of raids.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
I went 0 for 2 on Lugia today. Had a devil of a time landing curve balls when it flew up high. And here I was thinking these legendary raids were easy after 2 successful Mewtwo runs and 6 Articunos last weekend. :sigh:

Did they boost Articuno's catch rate for the event?

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
It's obvious in hindsight, but I couldn't help trying at the time. Oh well.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
I haven’t run afoul of any spoofers, but I guess there are a couple nearby. Unless there’s a legitimate way someone could drop a posse of sunglasses Squirtle and his evolutions into gyms three hours before the community day event started.

I’m more disappointed by the effect they’ve had on raid groups. I finally tracked down the Facebook group my town uses, and they’ve also bought in to the anti-spoofer verification requirement thing:

quote:

In order to be added to the RAID GROUP CHAT where raids, etc are coordinated, please read the rules/regulations pinned in the front of the facebook group page. Then send me via DIRECT PRIVATE MESSAGE ONLY the following screen shots of ALL of your pogo accounts:

Avatar and all screenshots of your gym map which is located on your gym badge screen by clicking on the book icon. Make sure you send all the continents. In addition, please state in the message you have read and understand the group rules.

The reason for the above is we are a 100% zero-tolerance spoofing group. Once the above has been received I will begin the review process with the other admins. Once this is completed and you have been verified you will be added to the group messenger chat page.

I can see asking for people’s account names so you know who to kick out if there’s a problem, but I’m not sure how the rest helps. I guess it’d catch the blatant spoofers, but anyone who only spoofs locally or doesn’t touch any gyms when they spoof to Europe to catch mimes is in the clear.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
6 for 6 on Zapdos here, with 2 shiny.

Things went a lot more smoothly today than on Articuno day. The mammoth raid train from last time (that blocked sidewalks at the outdoor mall, caused parking nightmares as it went across town, and may have gotten the police called on it at some point) split into two groups and each took a different side of town.

We did get a few funny looks from from people passing by (“why are all those people standing at the corner looking at their phones?”), but the group was laid back and it was fun.

Good event; will come back for Moltres day.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
I kept getting bounced from the gym closest to home after about 15 minutes when I took it in the afternoon/evening, so I started kicking over gyms between 6:00 and 6:30 on my way to work. It helped; I usually stick around for a couple hours that way.

What’s the longest you all have managed to keep something in a gym?
My best is 1 day 4 hours (and counting) at a gym on a forest trail. The guy who took it has been there almost 6 days.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011

Siets posted:

Are there any working tracker sites? Came back to this game a few weeks ago. I know Niantic is always trying to squash them but that never seems to stop people from spinning up new ones.

I know of one that’s in beta right now. It only does raids, and only in a few areas. Here’s a link.

The developer didn’t crack Niantic’s anti-map change, but he found a way around it:

quote:

Going forward, the way we will scan for data will be completely different. In the past, we used Bossland's hashing service that allowed us to have thousands of accounts on a single server. We were able to scan for things by sending data to the game servers and directly reading the data what was sent to the accounts. We can no longer scan like this. With the changes to the game made by Niantic, Bossland has not been able to fix their hashing service.

We are now scanning using image recognition. We will only be able to have one account per physical device that is hooked up to one of our servers. The servers tell the accounts on the devices where to go and then interpret what is on the device's screen from image recognition. We aren't simply able to pull data from the game server like we used to.

With that being said, scanning will look a lot different going forward. We won't have the luxury of pulling game data like IVs or Pokemon moves without even catching the Pokemon, but there still is a lot that we can do. Each scanning account will be doing more than before and acting more efficiently than before. We are starting with **raids**, they are the first piece of our new scanner. In the somewhat near future, we can see **research** tasks and **Pokemon** shown on the nearby section added as well. In the distant future, we'd like to incorporate more Pokemon scans.

It’s currently free since it’s in beta, but it looks like he’ll charge $5 per month once the beta ends.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
Just making the Go to Gym button available when you don’t have a mon there would be a big improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
Either I’ve gotten a lot worse at this game or Moltres is harder to catch than the other two. I went 6 for 12 with one shiny. Found a different raid group with a walking route that hit 6 gyms in an hour, which I like a lot more than following a caravan to 3 or 4 places.

The start of the event had some pretty bad network issues. After the first Moltres lost all its HP, the raid didn’t stop... it just sat there until time ran out and the Try Again message appeared. Fortunately clicking on the gym started the encounter.

• Locked thread