Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
The first time I logged in it was raining and I caught a high level Minun in my bedroom. A+ update so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
oh good, this again

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
If I had to guess the extreme weather shenanigans are due to the Pokémon Company being overzealous and lawyer-y about safety. Sucks that it actually directly affects gameplay, unlike the excessive driving warnings.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMobkagZu64

i mean the game is still fundamentally the same as it was in June but at least PR's on point :toot:

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Oh my loving god finally

"New APK Teardown posted:

New Quest Functionality!

Previously, the daily spin / daily catch bonus was called a 'Quest' in the APK.

With this new update, this entire section has been reworked and a lot has been added. The team has done our best to piece together how this metadata might suggest the mechanics work together in the final product - but this is a hypothesis only at this point!

Nevertheless, here's how it appears to work, travelers. We see two types of Quests appearing:

STORY_QUEST; CHALLENGE_QUEST

Which appear to simply be dependent on the mechanics required to complete the objective!

Quests have been expanded from 2 objectives to 10

The previous two objectives were:

QUEST_FIRST_CATCH_OF_THE_DAY; QUEST_FIRST_POKESTOP_OF_THE_DAY

We now see new objectives for:

QUEST_CATCH_POKEMON; QUEST_SPIN_POKESTOP; QUEST_HATCH_EGG; QUEST_WALK_BUDDY; QUEST_FEED_POKEMON; QUEST_WIN_GYM_BATTLE; QUEST_COMPLETE_RAID_BATTLE; QUEST_LEVELUP_BADGE

And excitingly, a new

QUEST_MULTI_PART

Which should lend well to combined objectives.

Quest Attributes

We see the following attributes of quests:

Creation Timestamp; Completion Timestamp; Rewards; Status (Active / Completed); Multipart; Context; Seed; Goal

Quest Characters?

We see new references to Quest characters, firstly Professor Willow!

They also appear to have Character Expressions, though only two so far: UNSET and HAPPY.

Perhaps you must complete the quest to make the NPC happy!

Quest Pre-Conditions

It appears that some quests may be gated behind pre-conditions. The following appear:

QUEST_PRECONDITION_UNSET; QUEST_PRECONDITION_QUEST; QUEST_PRECONDITION_LEVEL; QUEST_PRECONDITION_MEDAL

So we may be required to earn a medal, achieve a certain Trainer Level, or even have completed a different quest before embarking on a new one.

Can you believe it, travelers!? We're looking at the beginnings of an in-game quest system that appears to encapsulate all of the mechanics available in Pokemon GO, even incorporates characters who grant them, and pre-conditions that suggest increasing levels of difficulty and progress.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
What do you even need trading for when you can get multiples of each legendary with enough effort? This at least expands the still barely-existent gameplay.

e: keeping in mind that trading will be local-only

quote:

But players stuck in smaller towns who are eager to fill out their Pokédex will likely remain out of luck, senior product manager Tatsuo Nomura told Polygon at this week’s Game Developers Conference.

“[Trading] won’t be through the internet,” he said of the mechanic, which remains in development and heavily under wraps. “You shouldn’t be able to exchange your Pokémon with someone who is 100 miles away from you. ... The person needs to be in your proximity.”

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 7, 2018

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Meanwhile, it's been over a month since the APK teardown that discovered the quest system, and I've been just sitting here waiting for it to arrive. And waiting. Aaaand waiting. :shepface:

All these zero-effort events must take a lot of manpower to manage.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Willsun posted:

The quests are gonna be grindy crap that you probably already do regularly anyway like "Spin 15 stops today!" or "Catch 10 Dark type Pokemon today!" If the rewards are revives or even rare candies though, it would be worth it.

At least it's something that's not raids. The game has been 90% about raids since goddamn June.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
The quest system is cool and good and it actually made me leave the house just to play. :unsmith: It's like mid 2017 all over again.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
7327 4721 2952

I'm a filthy casual and I'm probably too far away to trade with y'all but I'll make sure to send along any gifts I find. :unsmith:

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
:wtc: why can't you sort/search the friends list

why, niantic

e: The thought of giving gifts really wanna makes me wanna go out and play more. Which is why

slave to my cravings posted:

Got 10 ultra balls as a gift, this is great I hope they don’t nerf the rewards or the frequency of gifts from poke stops

I think this won't happen. (plus, the existence of eggs as gifts and the circumstances of accepting them are probably driving up incubator sales as we speak)

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 22, 2018

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Oh, if you guys are using the sheet to add a code starting with 0, make sure to switch the format to Plain Text so the 0 doesn't disappear.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I'm getting so many pinap berries from gifts and it makes me super happy cause I was hurting for them before. Great update.

DizzyBum posted:

I still think you should be able to transfer eggs, and it gives you candy of whatever was inside. Or the Professor hatches them himself (let's say it takes 1 day per 1 km), and then he sends you a couple candies from whatever was inside. Hire me Niantic.

But then why would you spend all your cash on more incubators? :v:

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
With 110-ish friends it's really annoying scrolling to the bottom of the list to send gifts to lower rank friends. SORTING PLEASE

e: Also, why is there even a limit on gifts in your bag? Lemme collect them all and send them off when I'm home.

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 23, 2018

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Linx posted:

How much money did they make from this game again? Because it feels like the bare minimum is being reinvested

Estimates say $950 million in 2016, then $890 million in 2017.

e: Saw this on Reddit - a timeline with all the loading screens. That first one :unsmith:

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 23, 2018

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I was reading the Silph Road thread about the new market boxes, specifically this comment that breaks down their value, and

One Redditor posted:

Aren't super incubators valued at 200?

Other Redditor posted:

Yes, that's true. In the past, many trainers have debated whether Super Incubators are actually "worth more" than regular ones. General consensus seems to be that they are generally not, so I have valued them accordingly.

Obviously, in specific circumstances, super incubators can definitely have an advantage, but that's hard to quantify.

???????????

And also apparently star pieces, incense, and lucky eggs have zero value? Is this some sort of blowhard hardcore player logic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Eurogamer, in their article, "Pokémon Go's Dortmund event apology undermines the weekend for those who travelled," posted:

Pokémon Go players across Europe can now catch Corsola, a region-exclusive creature usually only found around the equator, for 48 hours.

(...)

It's a generous unlock for European players - but it doesn't do much for those who made the journey to Dortmund, and who paid for travel and accommodation. Unless you were only passing through Dortmund for a few hours during the worst of the event's difficulties, you likely still caught Corsola aplenty.

Indeed, fans who attended have argued Niantic has only undermined its event further by handing out one of its main attractions to everyone else across the continent. Doubly so, as many people stockpiled Corsola as a valuable creature for trading upon their return home.

PoGO players are the loving worst.

• Locked thread