Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

kensei posted:

When do the baby Snorlax come out, Gen 4?

Munchlax is indeed Gen 4. The Sinnoh dex has a lot of pokemon that are related to previous ones: Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Magmortar, Electavire, Porygon-Z, etc. There's like 25 pokemon that are evolutions or baby forms of Gen 1-3 pokemon.

Edit: And that's pretty much the last time it happens. With the sole exception of Sylveon in the Kalos dex, all new pokemon past Gen 4 are brand new unless you count mega-evolutions and Alolan forms.

Ziddar fucked around with this message at Dec 9, 2017 around 18:37

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

The new burst of pokemon has graced me with only the third shiny I have ever gotten in the 19 years I've played these games. This little friend is destined to be a red-eye'd Glalie.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

SirBukkake posted:

…or a pink-bow'd Froslass if you're patient!

Shiny Glalie is much more striking to me. I considered waiting, but Froslass is too similar to hold out for.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Parrotine posted:

Glalie looks like a Cenobyte from Hellraiser and I love it

Glalie is clearly Getter-1 recolor .

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Cowslips Warren posted:

Caught a perfect girl Ralts. Evolved her because why not?

So what's the deal with male Ralts? You want to keep at least one unevolved?

In gen 4 male Kirlia can use an item to evolve into Gallade instead of Gardevior.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Team Rocket and Team Rainbow Rocket outfits just showed up in the game!

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

This is not a dog:

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Willsun posted:

^^^ Yeah that. Useless beyond looking beautiful for official art and giving you ~~immersion~~ in water areas of the main game.
Hey, at least Alomomola has a bit of a fishy Chansey thing going on, having a lot of HP and support moves. Luvdisc is completely useless except as a source of heart pieces.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Vegastar posted:

Regigigas is gen4, actually. The remaining gen3 legendaries should be Lati@s, Regice, Registeel and Regirock, plus Deoxys and Jirachi that will probably never be released.

Gen4 is when the Legendary hell truly begins.

You can say that again. Gen 4 was pretty much peak legendary madness. For those who never made it that far, for Gen 4 we have: Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Heatran, Regigigas, Darkrai, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus, Manaphy, Phione, and Shaymin. It was bonkers. On the other hand, Gen 4 also has 22 pokemon that're evolutions of previous gens. And a handful of babies, too. So should be fun times when Go gets there eventually.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

sebzilla posted:

More Pikachu with hats. Yawn.

At least this is also coming with FireRed/LeafGreen trainer outfits. Also the next community day is in fact Bulbasaur, with triple xp to go along with it. The special move isn't listed, but I'd reckon it'll be Frenzy Plant. It goes along with Draco Meteor as being a special move tutor attack.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Missions and Mew on the way. Looks like it might be interesting.
https://pokemongolive.com/post/research/

Ziddar fucked around with this message at Mar 26, 2018 around 13:10

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Julio Cruz posted:

Doesn't Mew have a ridiculous number of moves? Using TMs on it just seems like a massive crapshoot.

Mew has access to 14 Quick moves and 25 Charge moves. Unless you have money to burn, I'd never even consider it.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Protip posted:

This event is great simply because for some reason the college campus where I work, which was a dead zone, now has the boosted spawn rate event Pokémon all over the place. I was able to take a short walk at the end of the day to catch up a ton of Magikarp to get to 400 candies, work on my Wailmer candy, and catch a bunch of other stuff. Shame I'm not yet on the excellent throw step of the Mew quest since that's pretty easy with Wailmers around.

I would love it if spawns continued on the campus after this event finishes but I have a feeling they just accidentally enabled spawns in areas that were / are dead zones.

Anyone else experience this?

In my experience, whenever they have some event that boosts spawn rates of specific pokemon or types, extra spawn locations happen. Usually nothing ever spawns on top of my house, but whenever there's been an event like this, stuff pops up every 15 minutes or so.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these beautiful felines and put them everywhere. Alolan Persian is a wonderful and majestic creature.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Julio Cruz posted:

Is Aggron actually good for anything? I've got a few decently high-level ones already but I can't remember the last time I actually used them.

Aggron has massive defense, but that's about it. Steel isn't really useful for attacking and Aggron has an ok attack stat. Not a whole lot of use for the armored kaiju, unfortunately.

LionArcher posted:

Defense. They are solid top 10 defenders for gyms? And the best steel ground attacker in the game I think?

Aggron is actually steel/rock, and that's the problem. Double weak to both fighting and ground isn't the best.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Burned through every pinap I had, but I went from a single Tyranitar to an entire family. Even have a shiny of each stage. Meet the posse:

They get named whatever I think of at the time.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

mastershakeman posted:

I got great friends with my buddy, his screen shows we need 3 more days. Ha

Apparently the friendship system is another case of how Niantic takes a seemingly simple thing, and manages to mess it up.

See: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRo...s_you_can_save/
Instead of some shared friendship statistic, both players have stats that are somehow in a constant game of catch-up with each other. And easily get out of sync.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

aniviron posted:

I've wound up having four field research tasks instead of three in my log, and seem to be able to get new ones when I complete the old. Is this a known thing? I like this bug, if that's what it is.

If you complete a task that rewards a pokemon encounter, but then run away from the pokemon, it'll stay at the top of the list waiting for you to hit it. It doesn't count towards the limit when it's like this, as you've already completed the task.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

dwarf74 posted:

Wow, Regsteel is garbage

PoGo's stat conversion is not charitable to balanced attack stats. Registeel is an unfortunate victim of this.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Psion posted:

no

raid shuckle is entirely different from your shuckle, which is a pushover to a moderately powered up pidgey

(I exaggerate, but not by much)

Raid shuckle is such a problem because it has the boosted values of any raid boss combined with shuckle's monumental defense stat, like 396 out of a possible 400, highest in the game out of any pokemon. And then when it's your inventory you get the lowest CP, Attack, and 4th lowest HP stats in the game, so that defense doesn't mean anything.

To expand on this, that abysmal attack is the other reason it's a major pain to raid. You're taking so little damage from its attacks that a good chunk of your charge meter gain is crippled. It's actually kind of funny that Shuckle manages to be be a wall, but not in any way beneficial to players.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Caught a shiny Swablu today, and like every shiny I've caught, his stats fuckin suck.

They're still good for trading since the IVs reset, right? I've got a lovely shiny Poochyena, too, and I'd happily trade them for some other rare stuff I've missed in the past year and a half since I played.

They're fine for trading, but shiny pokemon are in the same tier as legendaries for trading purposes. If you're not at least ultra friends, the cost is going to be massive. Even at Great Friend level, it'll cost 800k dust to trade a shiny if they don't already have it.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Yeah, I probably should've expanded on my post saying that normal trades are far more reasonable. They really don't want legendaries and other rare encounters to be easily given to others.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Dragonstoned posted:

Is the coin pricing this dumb in other currencies?

Aren't things supposed to be cheaper the more you buy? Why is it I can get 1500 coins for 15 bux but the 14.99 pack is only 1200 coins?

I'd raise this issue with Niantic but i fear their "solution" would be to raise the price of the 100 coins rather then make the other options cheaper.

Is that USD? Because this is the shop when I look at it, in the US:

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

You will be very sad to hear there is a new teddy bear Pokemon line in Alola, Stuffull and Bewear. Stuffull is a cute pink teddy bear with a happy face who actually loathes cuddles and is full of hatred and evil. When it evolves into Bewear it learns to love hugs but unfortunately also gains the size and strength of a real bear and crushes children to death on the reg. It's canon.

This isn't even an exaggeration. Its Moon dex entry states, "This Pokémon has the habit of hugging its companions. Many Trainers have left this world after their spines were squashed by its hug. "

The face of fatal hugs.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Gen 5 has some of the best pokemon and I can't wait for Go to eventually get there.

Golurk is fantastic.

endlessmonotony posted:

Klink and Vanillite are both generation 5. Generation 5 sucks way worse than generation 3.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Pomplamoose posted:

Which one is that?

Going by the name, possibly Joltik?

It's not really a tick, though. It's an adorable baby spider that evolves into a big electric spider.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it's not just the name. it attaches itself to hosts, something ticks do and spiders do not.

the fact that it evolves into a tarantula doesn't really change things considering both are arachnids and there are pokrmon that evolve into things way less intuitive or closely related, like a pond skater that evolves into a lanternfly (?).

Yeah but all it does is absorb static electricity. You could have one ride on your head and you'll never shock yourself on a doorknob.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Big McHuge posted:

This is me every raid.

I reckon any Aggron you have gets a lot of use.

The recommended team system is wonky because it favors defensive matchups very heavily. On one hand, it can often be a warning as to what moves the raid boss has, as it will try its damnedest to avoid being weak to the boss's attacks. On the other hand, it will pretty much suggest Aggron for any fight it won't take extra damage from. Having 8(9) resistances and one of the best defense stats in Go really throws the system for a loop.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Wheany posted:

Several times when mopping up a gym where the first defender is a Gyarados, it has recommended my mud-slap/surf Rhydon as the first attacker which is really loving bad and gets the Rhydon curbstomped.

Mud slap is not very effective against Gyarados because it's flying. Gyarados's water attack do double super effective damage to Rhydon's ground/rock typing

The entire point is that it often has trouble making smart suggestions for a single target. Gym battles confuse it even more since it tries to look at the whole set of defenders and often falls apart at the seams, as seen in your example.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

Big McHuge posted:

Having no Pokemon experience outside of GO, what is the reasoning for assuming the next Ex-Raid will be Deoxys instead of Jirachi?

Jirachi is of the same tier of pokemon as Mew and Celebi, sharing the exact same base stats (100 across the board, 600 total) and being the cute little psychic type at the back end of the pokedex. I'm just assuming that Jirachi will be the subject of the next special mission set.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

AweStriker posted:

Deoxys seems disappointingly weak.

Deoxys is another victim of PoGo's stat/battle system. Its Normal (and Attack form even more-so) are speedy glass cannons meant to do high damage before the opponent can counterattack. In the mainline games Deoxys can rely on its speed, other team members, or defensive moves to stay alive as long as possible. PoGo has none of these features, so Deoxys gets to be a Mewtwo with a fraction of the survivability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Once and Future King

AweStriker posted:

Then all they need to do is release Defense Form, right?

Unfortunately, Defense form won't really fare much better, as it has poor damage output and shares the same poor HP stat. The most you can say is that Defense form will be more of a pain in the rear end to raid.

Really, Deoxys's entire gimmick is ruined in Go.