Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Dr. Abysmal posted:

You can get through the battle in 10 raids requirement for Mew with just one pass if you lose on purpose and go back in, it only cares if you challenge a raid, not if you win.

I played Pokemon Go for a while back at release, then gave up, and have got back into it this week because of Mew. drat nostalgia.

I've missed out on all the extra gens, raids, and all the knowledge that goes along with that. I've spent the last few days just been sweeping up loads of new 'mon and ticking off easy challenges.

I'm at the stage in the Mew research quest where I need to battle in 2 raids. I got to work this morning and the Gym outside had a Latias raid running with no-one around. So I joined it on my own, waited two minutes for it to start, obviously got all 6 of my Pokemon knocked out, but then didn't get any credit for it. Is there something else required to tick off these challenges? Maybe it doesn't count it as a raid battle if you attempt it solo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

DeadlyHalibut posted:

You should get the credit if you are in the raid when the timer goes 0.

Is that the timer for the start of the raid (which began at 120 seconds I think?) or the timer to complete the battle (which was 240)? I definitely waited for the raid to start as I got completely KO'd in it, but I didn't wait for the end after that..

DeadlyHalibut posted:

You can even cheese the raid requirement by sitting in the lobby and waiting until 0. Repeat as many times as needed, each loss gives 1 raid complete.

You mean join a raid, wait for the battle to begin, then immediately run away?

Sorry for the idiot questions, this was the first raid I'd ever tried..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

DaStampede posted:

Just picked up the Great Box. It seemed like a good deal. 12 raid passes, 6 eggs. some pinapps, and incense for 780. I'm going to need those passes to get my 10 ghost types. If only ditto was a raid boss.

I took a long, meandering route to work this morning and picked up 8 Ghastlys towards my 10 ghost types. Also caught two more that turned into Dittos, but I'd already done that quest.

It's probably not worth using up the raid passes to get ghost types now the Kanto spawns are boosted - they seem pretty common.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

robziel posted:

Two weeks and zero dittos, I'm so glad they made this one of the requirements. I mean, I'm not looking forward to when I need to throw an excellent curve ball but that's entirely on me to do, there's literally nothing that can be done to catch a ditto if the game decides their aren't any.

I wouldn't worry about the excellent curve ball stage. I thought it would be tricky for me too, but got it within the same afternoon while churning through the parallel "Use berries to catch 50 Pokemon" quest. Just try curve balls with everything at that point (particularly ones with big hit circles) and luck should take care of it.

It helps having a surplus of balls at that point, so you don't care about all the misses.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I had a strange bug where I ended up with four slots for field research. When I turned in my first one today it didn't count towards a stamp, and the fourth slot disappeared. The second objective I turned in then counted for the stamp.

It’s not a bug, it will be because an earlier one you turned in had a Pokémon encounter for the reward, but for whatever reason you didn’t catch it at that point. When that happens the encounter hangs around (looking identical to a completed field quest) but reopens the slot for another to be taken. Similarly when you catch the Pokémon it doesn’t count as “completing” it at that point.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

Does that even work anymore? I thought they made Ditto spawning unique like Shinies at one point.

Definitely works, that’s how I got my Ditto - rushed out of the house after a Discord tip-off. Then caught another the next day (masquerading as a Gastly, which I actually wanted for the ghost quest).

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

It has only updated once so far, and that was quite a few months ago.

It'll update again, I'm sure, but it may take a while. I'd be surprised if they did it more than two, three times a year.

Around my area (UK) they apparently updated the map data last week. I’ve been out of the game for a long time until recently, so I don’t know if it’s just more regular over here or what..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Another Leamington Pogo-er on these forums? :monocle:

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Crosspeice posted:

Ah, greetings, how are you finding our dead gay area? I'm annoyed I couldn't put my shiny Wailmer in that Gym for bragging rights.

Actually I'm an imposter (for now) - I'm still basking in the hive of Pogo activity that is Cambridge; moving to Leam at the end of the month. I'm already on the Discord but yeah, seems a bit dead compared to the scene over here :(

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

ShakeZula posted:

So the only way to get Mew is to do the Special Research stuff, right? Because I don't really do raids, and it seems like I'd need to do a lot of them by the end to finish it.

There’re two levels where you have to do raids, first two and then ten. You could always solo level 1/2 raids if you see them, just taking your time with it..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I ended up with 4 (junk) shinies out of about 120 caught yesterday - the first one of the day after stepping out of the house was shiny, which was a nice start.

Ended up evolving one shiny to each stage, and three others in the 84-91% range up to Ttars with Smack Down. Wasn’t until I had time to go through all my Lavs today that I realised I had a mid-level hundie hidden in there, overlooked :(

Now I’m torn between using the exactly 125 candy I left have on evolving the hundie to a Ttar, or using that to bulk up the ones I already have. As a semi-casual level 31-er it would probably take my lifetime stardust to max out the hundie, even if I magically had enough candy to do it..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Pez posted:

I'll give every stardust I have for a Mr Mime

Hey there old buddy, old friend, old pal..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Edit: Swamped by friend requests (and gifts), so I'll keep my code to myself for now. You guys are great!

Froist fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 25, 2018

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Willsun posted:

They're always 11am-2pm at whatever time zone you're in.

10am-1pm in the UK. Not sure if that’s due to British Summer Time (I only got back into PoGo within the last couple of months) or Europe-wide.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Came out of community day with 5 regular shinies (two evolved to Wartortle and Blastoise), 9 shades shinies (likewise) and thirteen non-shiny shades (plus some I've already ditched). I still have 650+ squirtle candy left over, so thinking about evolving a few more shade Blastoises to leave in gyms around town. Best catch of the day was a 93% shiny with shades - a 100% did get called out on the local chat, but despite a mad rush very few people got there in time.

There was a lot of talk about shinies being consistent for everyone taking away from the exclusivity, but at the same time it felt like there was more of a community spirit going on to call these out, which is really what these days are for. At the end of the day almost everyone ends up with shinies on community day anyway.

For Articuno day there must have been about 80 people gathered at 10am who all walked the same route around town, 28 days later style. I ended up with two shinies from fifteen caught, with a couple more regulars that I missed. I was more interested in the XP than the catches there anyway.

Overall a great Pokemon weekend. In total I've gone through about a million XP, hatched my first Bagon (then a second 10 minutes later), and finally got a second Metal Coat to evolve a Steelix for the dex (after using my first on a Scyther and never seeing one again). And got a huge squad of cool mofos to leave in gyms :cool:

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

There's tons of nerds who shout that it's totally fine to have this game have super low spawns for good stuff because it's supposed to be rare, all while they implicitly think they'll be able to get it.

These kind of people want it to be "technically possible at my exact level of dedication, so I can get it, but lord over people who put less time into the game". I play the game quite a lot, but there are some seriously dedicated people around here. Like, playing 13+ hours a day, walking around through the night to search for shinies while an event's on..

I got (semi-faux) told off in the local discord yesterday for saying I'd "finally" caught a shiny Wailmer, after catching every one I'd seen for months, because some people had checked 4-6 times that number without one.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Louisgod posted:

e: Also is Alolan Marowak soloable? I solod Raichu this morning and it was close.

What kind of team did you use/what level are you?

I saw online that Raichu is soloable, so yesterday morning spent a whole 45 min raid window trying and failing over and over again. I’m level 34 and was using 2x Gengar, Mewtwo, 3x dark Ttar. I don’t really have strength in depth of its weaknesses, so when the team got knocked out I was max-reviving the Ttars and jumping back in with them. One time was really close, but I never quite made it (and burned through 2/3 of my stardust levelling up between attempts).

I have two more Ttars with rock moves, but AFAIK they aren’t as useful here?

Edit: Just met up with a couple of people and took down a Raichu no bother. Marowak up next!

Froist fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 23, 2018

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Beldums the most annoying imo.

I've seen enough bagon in the wild to only need one egg to hatch for a salamance. Only one beldum and that was in the scanner days.

Complete opposite here. I caught a beldum just last night at the end of my street, and we went through a spate about three weeks ago where I was catching 3-4 of them every day for a week.

Never once seen a bagon in the wild.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Dead Like Rev posted:

Fabtrio? They are pretty fabulous

I wish the Alolan Diglett version matched the style more, as my "Wiglett" and "Wigtrio" names would be far better.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Willsun posted:

This is kind of a lot asking for people to get out into 100°F weather to get a Mewtwo for you during work hours. Not that my town doesn't have people asking for help, but even we're smart enough to know it's a huge favor to ask during this time of the year, especially on weekdays.

I always assumed this was a case of "people who were going anyway taking a second phone for you" rather than people going genuinely out of their way to do the ex-raid solely for someone else..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Is the more evolved Pokemon/gen 3 evolves live? Found several evolved Pokemon and the slakoth middle evolve today.

I’ve definitely been seeing more evolved forms in the wild this weekend.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

HookShot posted:

"Are you standing in a park/green space?"

If yes -> probably an EX gym

If no -> probably not an EX gym

You're welcome.

Unfortunately it’s nowhere near that cut and dry. In my town there are three large parks with a total of 10 gyms and not a single one is Ex-eligible. The two that are Ex’s are a BMX track and a small patch of grass commemorating a tree by a roundabout.

In the last city I lived it was a statue in the city centre, a skate park and a city centre museum, and none of the huge parks had any. (Although near the end of my time there two different gyms were triggered within a paid-entry botanic gardens).

It does seem like people are happy to come to this internet forum and bitch about the system, but joining a local chat group that could actually help is a step too far on the nerdy chart. The funny part being even if they did get an invite, they’d still have to coordinate with the same local people to beat it. It’s not even like it’s a lot of “research” - just drop in, ask the question and leave again if you like.

Furnaceface posted:

They most definitely do not go until 9pm.
e: 6am-6pm EST apparently.

They most definitely do (and beyond), at least at the moment in the UK. The first eggs can appear at 6am and hatch 45 mins later, and eggs for raids can hatch up to 8:59pm, meaning they go on until 9:44pm. It’s all a bit random and depends whether you’re just watching your one gym within range at that time or actively scouting the town to see what’s around. But I’ve definitely done raids past 9pm before, and do raids past 6pm most days of the week.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Anyway today I got a golden chicken nugget. Thankfully I'm most of the way towards getting 400 candy for her. I don't remember seeing Evolve A Swablu in the list of Celebi quests released but I'll hold off for a few weeks just in case...

Unless I've missed something, the only list of quests released was the ones at Go Fest, which I believe are different quests to what the rest of us will get when it's released on Monday.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

It should tell you on the quest screen which evo item you're going to get as a reward; if it's not the one you want, throw it away and keep checking more stops.

I'm reasonably sure I saw (and threw away) all the evo item quests on my hour walk this lunchtime, while looking for the "Evolve 3 Natu/Sunkern" quests.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

Once you get Pinecone and the evolution in your Pokedex, that quest is a total throwaway

And once you've got both genders of the evolution. And a shiny. In both genders. Of both forms. Part-timer :colbert:

mastershakeman posted:

They spawn in the wild, but good luck ever seeing one without a scanner. I got my first one at 9pm in light industrial zoned areas parking lot

Wtf. This is like going to St Louis and seeing sunkern everywhere, I don't see them outside of events, ever

I've only previously seen one miltank in the wild in my area, but caught three more yesterday. Seems like they've definitely upped the spawn rate for this event.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I’m on holiday in France, and yesterday found a gym up the top of a mountain hike that had been held by one guy with his Jolteon for 375 days straight.

I really wanted to claim the place for myself, but the signal was so weak I started having login issues, then got hit by the “crash moments after loading” iOS bug. Reinstalling the app on a mountaintop with only an edge connection isn’t really feasible :(

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Nanabs are good as snacks for whoever you have in a gym when you can't be bothered giving them a golden Razz berry. Otherwise they are first to get trashed when I'm out of bag space.

:same:

I'm slowly creeping up my bag space with my daily coins, but always hitting the limit. I'm up to 1200 now, with a slow accumulation of max revives/max potions from gifts using up 400 slots between them. And I still delete nanabs on sight.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Beastyfella posted:

I'm surprised that the goon collective here hasn't created a couple throwaway accounts to pass around so everyone can get regionals.

You know, I'd never even thought of that, but I had thought about setting up a second account to do bulk throwaway trades with for luckys.

I'm missing most of the American regionals, I'd be well up for doing the European legwork if you fancy it. PM me? :wink:

Cowslips Warren posted:

....because you have to be close to someone to trade with them? I think I have all the regionals now, it's a matter of rebuilding up a good trade army now.

I figure he means setting up a second account that EuropePerson catches regionals with, then AmericanPerson signs into it on a spare phone and trades to their main account. Then vice-versa.

Dr Tran posted:

You must be doing well on stardust to throw away nanabs.

450k, I don't know if that is "doing well". But it's more a case that my bag's constantly full and I have to throw away something to spin a stop right now, and nanab is the easy decision for me.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Noxville posted:

Turns out the highest mountain in the British Isles has both a pokestop and a gym at the top of it. Of course I took over the gym.

I was on holiday in France last week and found a gym up a mountain that had been held for 375 days straight. Of course that was prime time to have connectivity issues, and then the iOS bug that required reinstalling the game. So he’s still holding that drat gym :(

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The New York Times posted:

Next time I find a Tauros I’ll use a new trading account, then hopefully one of you will take it and replace it with a nice Kangaskhan :getin:

I realised the reason this isn’t a bigger thing: the throwaway account still needs to have 20k stardust per trade (unless you friend it a month in advance) to trade away a new dex entry, which turns into a fair bit of grinding for an account you don’t care about.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Sure, just Pm me when you want to do it. I can do however many Heracross that you(or for that matter anyone else) wants if you have a mule account. Corsola might be harder but I can give it a shot.

I’d love to take you up on this, probably after the weekend if you have the time then?

Beastyfella posted:

I didn't see anybody in the Tropius region, but I'm not really familiar with that boundary line though.

I don’t want to promise anything, but I’m going on holiday to the south coast of Turkey in a week’s time, and the internet suggests there’s a chance of seeing Tropius there. Main priority is my own account and a couple for local trades, but if they do happen to pop up I’ll try to get some on my passaround account too.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I managed 20 in my area, caught 14, two of them shiny. First raid did the “freeze at zero HP” thing so I missed out on catching that one and just moved on with the huge group.

I also did the first 6 raids with my backup account on a second phone, then switched over to another goon’s backup and did 6 for him too. My backup got 3 shinies out of the first four raids (at which point my main had none), unfortunately the other didn’t get any shinies but still a decent boost in stardust/XP.

Now I’ve just got to decide which ~100 of my items to throw away, as the day has left me completely over-encumbered and unable to spin stops now.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

I assume you're going to the Fethiye/Ölüdeniz area, which is very popular for Brits abroad style holidays? If so it looks like you'll be in the region for Tropius.

While I’m a Brit and going abroad, it’s not really a Brits abroad holiday :geno:

Actually going to a wakepark in the middle of nowhere between Antalya and Alanya. So it probably is more a case of “hope one spawns in the 500m radius I’m spending a week in, or at the airport”.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Given the spawn rate of Mr Mime over here at least, our account swapping scheme is still far easier than walking 7km for each chance at a hatch. In that time I could easily see double digit Mimes.

(Of course, this way is more "legit" and gives access to the others without swapping).

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Chairman Mao posted:

But that's been nothing compared to the actually-hard-to-find regionals I've obtained from the ad-hoc exchange system around here. I'm down to just needing Tropius and Volbeat because goons are awesome.

I can get you a Volbeat once this Kanto event is over and they start spawning again.

Is anyone able to get Torkoal/Tropius/Relicanth?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

NOT. A. GLITCH.

The absolute best thing to come of this will be watching all the nerds who were adamant it was a glitch backtrack furiously.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

It took me ages to hatch a Chimecho, then I hatched another two in the next week or so. I’m still trying to get a Smoochum and Magby though, I swear they don’t exist :(

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

It would solve the "I live in X lovely rural place so I can't do Y thing" problems, make it easier to catch spoofers (since they'd be going to places with no traffic to get rare poo poo), make for a much more interesting (and true to the source material) game, and do a lot more to get people moving and exploring the outdoors.

While I agree with the idea it would make it more “realistic” (in a game about catching monsters), lol if you think that moving raids away from population density would reduce complaints.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

kensei posted:

I have so so many water type waiting to be evolved. My dex is ready.

e: Use evolve & water to check for yourself.

I really should have thought ahead and held onto more Kanto water mons for this. Now, do I sacrifice my squad of shiny shade Squirtles for some Dratini candy? Probably not..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Loser_Rex posted:

I just got a shiny Pika with the hat. Are the shiny rates increased or am I lucky?

I got two shiny hat Pikachus yesterday having never had any shiny Pikas before. Made one into a shiny Reichu.

Also caught a shiny Drowzee on the first one I tapped in the event the day before. And a Minun the day before that, making 4 shinies in 3 days :hellyeah:

• Locked thread