Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Seems like the recent update includes a feature I’ve wanted for ages - ball selection now appears to persist between catches! Super useful for when I end up with dozens of extra Great Balls and want to use them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

DaStampede posted:

Because it goes against a model of trying to make people log in every day at least once. That is a big money maker for companies and Niantic has not proved in the past to care about casual gamers.

That's a model they already have firmly entrenched in the game with the catch & stop-spin streak system - it's not like they really need more pressure on that front. Ditto the kowtowing to the folks who play the game obsessively; those folks aren't likely to increase their time or spend that much more. Throwing the occasional bone to the large-but-less-spendy casual demographic probably pays off well enough.

Me, I'm just irritated that my local weather was boosting Ghastlys earlier in the week, but not today, and I only today got to the fourth level of Mew research :mad:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Learned a hard and frustrating lesson today: never prepare for an event :argh:

Bought some regular incubators...right before they released the limited time box with super incubators.

Put some eggs into those regular incubators yesterday...only to find that the event driven “stuff incubates faster” behavior only appears to apply to incubators you start using during the event itself.

:doh: :argh:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Ouch!

The egg part was a little confusing and personally pretty useless. Otherwise it was a fun community day! We had rainy weather (only ingame, not actually) so we got some weatherboosted sheeps which was nice.

The catch-mareeps field research thing was a nice addition.

Yea, aside from the irritation about the incubators/eggs, it was a fun event; neither my wife nor myself have caught more than a couple Mareeps ever, so now we're flush with all 3 evolutions and a handful of shinies to boot. At one point I had all 3 field research slots going with the day's quest as well, which was amusing.

Also caught my first Omastar which was unexpected. Been seeing more in that family out lately.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Psychobabble! posted:

No(Assuming you mean will this highlight charmander if you don't have a charizard). Only things you don't have in your Dex

Is the scanner/radar really that useful? In my experience, unless you notice & head out the moment something shows up on there or the spawn you need happens to be close by, they've despawned by the time you actually get there. I'm probably just unlucky, but I've had so many near misses I just don't bother anymore :sigh:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

DizzyBum posted:

The takes are hot and fresh in this thread.

As someone that just can't get out to raid at all, I'm very happy there's another way to get those legendary 'dex entries.

:same:

Wife and I only get to raid super rarely so we're extremely jazzed about the chance to get one of the legends we missed (spoiler: that's most of 'em) each month.

Yea, sure, ending up with ~3 of each is a little silly, but as I think I or others posted upthread, I'm happy to see a system aimed at casual/infrequent players so I don't mind.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Is there a known issue with the "Catch a pokemon 3 days in a row" quest in the Celebi line? I've caught a brazillion pokemon both yesterday and today but it still thinks I'm only at 1 day in a row so far. I did get up to that 1 day earlier and then had a few days of no PokeGo (yes…that's a thing), not sure if that screwed it up or what.

Of course, since it's special research it's not like I can delete it and hope to get it again to reset it, like I might with a bugged field research :v:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Wheany posted:

Yep, it's hosed

In a "cannot progress" sense or just a "it's lying but you will get credit on the third day anyways" sense? Please be the latter.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

RodShaft posted:

I guess I'll just leave his account off for a day and see if that resets it. I'm assuming that's been tried and failed considering the size of the community and my googling coming up with no solutions.

Mine finally noticed I'd been catching for a few days - it flipped to 2 days in a row late yesterday. Guessing some really dumb off-by-one bug combined with a state keeping bug or...something. We'll see if it completes tonight or tomorrow.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Quest bug update: it did wrap itself up tonight :toot: on to the next level!

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

seiferguy posted:

Didn't catch any shinies today but I got 3 unowns in downtown Seattle today. Thanks, PAX.

:same: (well, except on like, Thursday when I arrived, but same diff.)

Also thankful for the recent proliferation of Wingulls - I now have a Pelipper. No shinies yet sadly.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Bought incubators last night to clear eggs out pre-event. Freaked out today thinking poo poo, aren't gift eggs generated when the gift is received from the pokestop? :gonk: But Silph Road has PSAs up stating eggs get 'rolled for' when you open the gift, not before. So I can clear out my egg box, hold onto gifts, and start opening them tomorrow at 1 to get event-relevant 7k eggs :toot:

Also I literally forgot until last night that one can spend actual money to buy things in this free to play game! Instead of painstakingly gathering coins from the rare times I can actually defend gyms (my team's the local minority).

Figure the number of hours I've spent on this damned game, I can justify throwing a few :10bux: at the developer :v:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

IcePhoenix posted:

Tomorrow is the 12th, not the 13th
In my defense I work from home half the time & just got back from vacation as well, so days of the week are currently very abstract concepts :v: but thanks for the idiot check! Just means I'll have a bit more time to wrap up the rest of my egg-walkin'.

SuperKlaus posted:

drat, at gift opening, not at hatch? I "gamed the system" the wrong way today then.
The Silph Road post I saw put it very usefully: because the eggs' contents are determined as soon as they show up in your inventory, and count towards your Pokémon limit (!) it's easier to just think of them as "hidden Pokémon", as opposed to discrete items which "become" Pokémon.

This also means if you want to avoid picking up any new eggs from stops or gifts, you can just let your Pokémon box fill up. :yeah:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I'm probably missing something obvious, but what even is the point of clipboard raiding / multi-account PokeGo?

In 'real' MMOs, my understanding is multiboxing lets you do group content solo, trivializes solo content, and allows easier grinding (since your characters can funnel everything they earn to a single character).

In this game, tho, none of that even seems possible besides the first one (you can solo raids or at least require fewer other real people to attend a raid). Especially since trading/gifting wasn't even in the game until comparatively recently; and you can't even funnel items or candy to friends outside of what you get from trades.

(And simply posting my drat friend code on Twitter with the main hashtag once, was enough for me to get way more than enough actual other friends, too! I can't imagine needing to run a half dozen other smart-devices for that angle...)

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Black Feather posted:

There's a trashcan icon on the right of every item, click on that and you can mass dump things.
Click? :xd:

shut up blegum, also note that you can hold down the plus/minus buttons on the trash popup for fast incrementing/decrementing. Like Black Feather said, it's useful to just get in the habit of trashing 100% of your lower level potions/revives, so "hold down '+' until number stops going up" will be your best friend there.

P.S. thanks to the folks who took the time to explain the multi-account thing, hadn't thought about eg double chance for shinies, on top of gym/raid ez-mode. I'm uh very not that into this game but at least it makes sense people aren't doing it solely for e-peen reasons.

bitprophet fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 2, 2018

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Black Feather posted:

Is click the wrong word? (Genuine question, English isn't my first or second language.)

As stated above, 'tap' is probably most accurate, but no worries! I didn't realize you weren't a native speaker. Now I'm wondering why 'click' entered your vocabulary before 'tap', given how long touch devices have been popular (jeez...over 10 years?! I'm old.)

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

PathAsc posted:

Don't fuckle with shuckle
But what if Shuckle likes it???

Vaguely on topic: I'm torn between paying Real Money Dollars for a larger pokemon box, and sitting around for 30 minutes laboriously tapping my phone & sitting through evolution animations to clear out space. Sometimes the F2P aspects of this game suck.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

People actually buy balls?

I can totally see folks who aren't in a stop-dense area needing to do that, yea.

Living in an urban region, I wish there was a setting for "literally never hold onto regular balls ever, trash immediately" (or for them to reinstate the "sticky" ball selection) because it's annoying gruntwork to deal with when I'm constantly drowning in the higher 2 ball tiers.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Big McHuge posted:

Pokemon GO: Sinnoh Patrol - Chasing Chimchars
This is...a rock band reference? I had to Google it :(

Also chuckled at Sinnoh more fam, good job on that one.

I'm assuming it got passed over months ago, but I can't remember ever seeing any variants on: Pokemon GO: Sinnoh Place Like Home. Old 'n cheesy but :shrug:

Dumb "Sinnoh->snow" ideas:

Sinnoh Ball Fight (get it? poke balls?! fighting?!?! I actually really like this one.)
Sinnohpiercer (haven't actually seen that movie)
Forecast Calls For Sinnoh (or maybe Chance of Sinnoh)
Fresh Sinnoh-fall (cuz...it'll be fresh...and...it's fall in the Northern Hemisph–look, I'm sleep-deprived, ok?)
They're Sinnoh Angels (two bad jokes in one?)

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

For a bunch of nerds you sure are bad at puns.
The one you posted is a lot better, it's true.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

pokemon go: i'm so gallade gen 4 is here

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

FistEnergy posted:

Not a single shiny the whole Psychic event :rip:

I saw a screenshot of Shiny Drowzee the other day and now I'm glad I never got one. Eugh.

• Locked thread