Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I got bullied into playing this game a couple days ago can someone tell me why one of my rattattas is dark/normal and the other (and a raticate) is just normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

neat, thanks

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

7858 9548 2577

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

hooray new friends

Teeter posted:

It's evolution, except more like real world Darwin evolution than pokemon evolution. Alolan pokemon are island forms of existing species that developed a new type in order to adapt to island life. A few can be found in the wild, but most of them come from yellow 7km Alolan eggs (obtainable only in gifts from friends) or raid bosses.

got it, I skipped a couple gens of pokemon by now I think so a lot of newer stuff is just a complete unknown to me

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 14, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

IcePhoenix I appreciate the gift you sent me.

:tipshat:

What was in it? I heard that distance helps but I have no clue outside of that, I can't open any right now (thanks to those who sent them) because my inventory is basically always full since this is the view from my desk:

(the view from home is the opposite but hey, win some lose some)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kensei posted:

For the love of God, catch all the Magikarp you can but don't evolve then until you get to that quest.

Dunno what that means but I'll try to drag myself away from DotA to do so on my lunch tomorrow!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I added back everyone that added me today, thanks!

I tried to send gifts to everyone, hopefully I can keep doing so but my inventory is over full right now from level up rewards so it will be harder to get enough to keep sending them (and receiving them :lol:)

I assume that my coins should just go to inventory expansion for a while?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheEye posted:

The sun/moon dex is regularly morbid or cynical and I find it hilarious. Good old rotom.

My friend, it has been like this since gen 1 on the game boy

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

how are you all seeing your IV% and stuff?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

pubic works project posted:

Download an app called Poke Genie.

Thanks, fellow Knight

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Can someone explain to me what the defense rating of attacks from CalcyIV is?

I think I mostly figured out how everything else works, but that one is lost on me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Teeter posted:

Do you mean the shield icon that you can toggle, or something else?

e: I just added a handful of people from the OP sheet to help out with Celebi quest. I nabbed a few names from the most recent pages as well as some far away from me geographically but anyone else may feel free to add me as well. 6059 7180 0264

The underlined bit

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

that refers to a pokemon's moveset as it pertains to defending gyms. or in other words, it's mostly meaningless.

Thanks friend

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Teeter posted:

I tend to stick my B list attackers in gyms so that I can force feed them berries to squeeze out extra candy. I've powered up my main Dragonite a few times this week by doing this!

Can you explain this bit?

Also how does trading work?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Teeter posted:

Immediately after you place someone in the gym, click them and it will have a berry icon on the bottom left. Use this to discard all of your nanabs or razzberies if you don't need them. You may also feed them to other trainers' pokemon in the gym. Each berry gives 20 stardust and has like a 1% chance of giving you candy for the mon being fed. Not much, but even getting an extra candy per day from one who normally requires 5km walking as a buddy really helps.

After you leave the area, you can return to the gym screen by selecting the pokemon from your storage and continue to feed them remotely. You can feed 10 berries per pokemon, which resets I think every 30 minutes. The stardust adds up, but more importantly you can earn a decent chunk of candy for way less effort than walking 5km with popular yet rare defenders such as Chansey, Snorlax, and Dragonite.

I have too many berries so if I'm catching something I'll use a pinap for extra candy or a golden razz for the catch boost. Regular razz and nanabs are exclusively used for gym feeding now.

This is incredible, thanks!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I have a weird question. I was looking through my mons last night so I could cull some of the herd (I was at 298/300) and I noticed that I have 28 larvitar candy. Thing is...I've never actually encountered a larvitar and the one I have came from an egg. Where did all this candy come from?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mastershakeman posted:

When you hatch an egg you get a bunch of candy. 10kms give the most

Ahhh, that would do it. Thanks!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I hatched like 50 eggs and never got an Alolan Vulpix :negative:

They took too much time to walk to bother trying past that, and I had like a million of every other Alolan hatch, but still.

I had an Alolan Vulpix hatch yesterday that came from an egg from an RL friend's gift and it's my first perfect IV pokemon so I'm using it forever :3:

Its attacks are like 99% too so even better.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I got an ex pass for one of the gyms at work but it's for sunday afternoon :rip:

Also how does trading work, do I just pick a friend and put something in there and hope they'll send me something back? It sounds more like people are using that random swap thing from one of the previous games when they talk about trading.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Teeter posted:

You have to be within like 100m of each other for it to work. Generally the people trading are doing it with friends/significant others in their downtime at home or with others that they raid with.

It's been way more useful as an upgraded way to transfer unwanted pokemon than it is a method to barter for actual valuables.

I feel like the 100m thing completely defeats the point of trying to get pokes that aren't regional

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Siets posted:

I got the same EX pass. Goldy's statue? I plan to come regardless. You should come too!

Turns out all you have to do is post about wanting Mewtwo and then -bam- you get an EX raid pass. :hellyeah:

But Arkham... :rip:

Teeter posted:

Agreed, though I expanded on my last point a bit in my post. Trades are nice for the occasional pokedex entry and every once in a while you can make a legitimate trade of useful pokemon that both people will use, but mostly it's just sending trash back and forth to get extra candy or luckies.

Thanks for the expanded explanation, still a little confusing but I'll figure it out.

I assume I should just wait to trade with someone until we're level 3 friends to save the stardust cost?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

what is a go-tcha

I googled it but all I really found was places selling it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Neat, thanks. $50 feels like a bit much though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Meatwave posted:

You can get a go plus for $22 shipped from aliexpress, then solder it yourself to be automated like a gotcha. It takes like 5 minutes, unless you want to wire in a switch or something else fancy. If it ends up not being for you, there's probably a dozen people in your area who would buy it off you for what you paid (or more).

Ah yes let me just bust out my soldering kit that I definitely already own :rolleyes:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BGrifter posted:

You don’t understand, it could save you tens and tens of dollars!

The funny thing is if you factor in the cost of the kit I'm better off just buying one normally from like gamestop or something

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

The pro-est version of pink theme gym is when someone tops it off with shiny pink absol.

Is Kyogre in the game? I still hang onto my Emerald cart because when I played through it mine was shiny, which turns it pink.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just got enough candy to evolve my ice vulpix into the ice ninetails (which is also fairy?) and holy moly it's majestic as gently caress

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Siets posted:

A buddy was telling me that the way to beat turbonerd 6x Mewtwo teams in Gen 1 was to use 6x Jolteons with some special move that I am now forgetting :pcgaming: paging IcePhoenix! :pcgaming: Apparently Jolteon was fast enough to always go first against Mewtwo and had a high enough special where he could one-shot him with the right move.

Pin missile

e: I might have also given it thunder wave or something, not sure, but Pin Missile would KO most Mewtwos if it got enough hits

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 30, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Why is everyone suddenly obsessed with wingulls?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

Girlfriend went to Ireland, so I gave her my account. She caught me Volbeat and Mr. Mime on the first day :hellyeah:

No wonder you finally opened my gift :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

I have 115 friends on my list and tend to prioritize those I'm close to getting ultra / best friends, so sorry that I'm not quite getting to you :v:

I just assumed you were tired of me sending you Starbucks postcards lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I finally got a Chancey and now can't decide if I want to blow all my candy to level it up or if I want to hold onto it for evolution.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Siets posted:

On the one hand, yes, probably best spent on a Ho-Oh, Moltres, or Mewtwo. On the other hand, both our work offices sit atop three gyms that see daily raid opportunities for additional rare candies. :v:

:v::hf::v:

Also to answer the previous question, I currently have 0 rare candy and 28 chansey candy because I just immediately converted all the candy I had been saving.

seiferguy posted:

Obviously its your candy and you can do what you want with it, but using rare candy on a blissey feels like a waste when legendary candy is much harder to come by.

Legendaries for me are just sort of a "collect to have it" thing in this game since I can't leave them in gyms.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I guess this'll do

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Boywunda posted:

First raid, 100% Shiny!!!

Did 46 Moltres raids with my group today. 7 shines total. Pretty solid day. Maxed this guy out already. Not sure if I'll keep Sky Attack yet.

How come your 100% has fewer cp than my 87-ish% that I haven't even leveled yet? Does weather boost make that much of a difference?

e: that's assuming I'm seeing 2272 since he's blocking some of the numbers

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Boywunda posted:

3272, maxed out, Level 40. Was 1870 non weather boosted when I caught it.

ahhh nice

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pretty sure I'm dropping :10bux: on this game so I can buy an ultra box for incubators and raid passes now

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dr Tran posted:

I got a hundo Alolan Vulpix yesterday

Sup hundo buddy :)

Congrats on your Majestic As gently caress 'mon

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

How long is the "guaranteed" lucky event going on for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FistEnergy posted:

Yeah missing Charmander day sucks too. I have caught 6300 Pokemon and I have seen 13 of them total.

On a related note, in Cleveland every "catch 5 fire types for a Silver Pinap" quest gets dunked in the trash immediately

:dunkedon:

Can't you just go to the river for that?

• Locked thread