Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Pez posted:

I finally got my last ghost this morning :woop: Now on to 10 raids which hopefully won't take 2 months like the last step. Hatched 4 eggs this morning too so hopefully today's gifts will bring some sweet Alolan eggs. I even have a blue Persian now. I sent out gifts to who I could but the list makes it hard to tell who I've hit already so I'm just working down and trying not to miss anyone. It's been a good day.

You don't actually need to win the raid. When I was doing mine, right around when it first came out, I found a Snorlax raid happening and just kept throwing lovely mons at it while not bothering to actually battle it, because what was the point. There was actually one other person doing the same thing with me, we both sat there and lost to Snorlax probably five times.

I finally got an Alolan vulpix after hatching about ten alolan eggs, and I have like 47 Vulpix candy now.

Added my trainer code to the spreadsheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Aw man, and here I (a rural player) thought I was finally going to get one of the doggies :(

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I have one Vulpix from a hatch, and 53 candy, but it's got terrible IVs and I really want to keep a Ninetails to use everywhere because it's so pretty :negative:

Also Alolan Golem is good.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, last week I caught Articuno on the third attempt with ultra balls and pinaps.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm in a very small town, 10k people. I've done a handful of legendary raids from when I've been in real cities, but that's it. I just got to level 37 yesterday, but drat, whenever I go to the city and they're just swimming in pokemon I get so jealous haha.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

:canada::hf::canada:

I stopped playing like a month after it came out since my city was a barren wasteland but just recently picked it up again. Now I mostly use this game as an excuse to go walk through the local arboretum and along the lake since those seem to be the only places with any concentration of stops and gyms. Ive still never made a raid and I only managed to finish the research thing once to get a single articuno, but its fun enough that I keep it installed. :v:
Yeah, one neat thing about PoGo is all the best pokestops tend to be concentrated either right downtown in the cities, but also in the really scenic parks and stuff.

mastershakeman posted:

It's easily that goon here from tbilsi

Ohhh that's cool.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I really want a shiny sunglases blastoise though not gonna lie

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dr Tran posted:

Only via research. If you by chance have a task that says "Evolve a Water type" save it until Community Day.

I had two of these tasks and accidentally evolved a Krabby without thinking ( :negative: ) but haven't claimed the rewards yet, so I'm hoping if I don't tap that button until community day starts I'll be fine.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

Are we even sure that holding onto stuff helps? I thought almost all of the encounter research quests had the reward set when you acquire them, not when you finish them. I imagined it would be the special community day window research that gives you things, kinda like the free berries and greatball "catch the <pokemon of the day> quests.

I'll let you know at 11am!

Anyway, the Articunos being everywhere actually doesn't really help rural players at all. For me, now I have to really hope that there is not only a group of players somewhere in Whistler, but I also have to guess what end of town they're going to start at, or if they're going to start at the gazebo in the middle. Oh well.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I wonder if with partly cloudy weather, two people could duo an Articuno using smack down / stone edge Tyranitars.

According to Pokebattler it would take 540 seconds (so 2 x 220) and 17 SD/SE Tyranitars at level 40 to do it. So yeah, it would be possible as long as you had a shitload of them. Wouldn't work with anything else, even a crew of Legacy Omastar would just miss it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Wait when is the Articuno thing? I actually have today off and the heat wave of death has ended so going out for a few hours would be good for me.

e: Would it even be worth it for me to do this if Im only player level 20 and the only maxed out things I have are a Hypno and Cloyster?

Definitely do it, if you find a decent sized group it really won't matter what you have, everyone else's good pokemon will make up for it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There was no one around in my town, not that I found, anyway. Oh well. If it had been for an actually good legendary I would have driven 40 minutes down the road to the next town down that has an active community.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I got my shiny sunglasses Blastoise, so I'm happy. Evolved a couple others also even though they're useless, but sunglasses Blastoise looks amazing and will definitely go in gyms.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

So rumor mills say Ralts is the next mon for the community day?

This would make me super happy, I have one fully powered Gardevoir, a second around level 33, and a male Kirlia that I'm waiting for Gen 4 to evolve. However, I only have two Ralts candies left right now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

Speaking of worthwhile, how valuable is Blastoise with Hydro Pump? aka, should i waste the dust to level up my ~860CP Blastoise or nah? Currently level 27 and I have a 2600CP Tyranitar with 8 more >2K CP mons.

My gut tells me it's not worth the stardust.

It's definitely not, there are like at least 8 other water types that are better than Blastoise.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Yeah, but how many of those 8 wear sunglasses?

This is a good point!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

pod6isjerks posted:

Glad they're popular! There's a good chance I'll be leaving Tbilisi in the next few weeks so, if anyone hasn't gotten a squiggly word postcard or Georgian mon for their collection let me know and I'll try to prioritize you for my next gifting spree.

Can you open your gift from me? (HookShot88) I want to send you a special postcard from my part of the world.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

pod6isjerks posted:

Gift opened! Looking forward to the special postcard!

Sent! In the future I'll send you the cool touristy winter resort ones I try to send most goons (my local discord people get the boring ones like the post office) but I wanted to send you that one in particular, what with you being in Georgia and all.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

TheEye posted:

Thanks HookShot for my first Grimer, after like 15 Meowths.
Sweeeeeet!

I really hope my eggs hatch into Vulpix and Sandshrew for people too, I feel like if I lived elsewhere it would be cool to have ice pokemon that came from a ski resort. Though I'm going away to the suburbs for 10 days so no more Olympic rings and totem poles for a bit.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

pod6isjerks posted:

The perfect postcard given our locations!
The Olympic rings postcard was cool too. We've got a bit of a theme going on!

Yes! I'm glad you enjoyed them :)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ijyt posted:

Lmao as opposed to how it is now? The insane people already have all that poo poo, I've seen three two Dratini in two years.

Yeah, I have four fully-powered up Dragonites and two not-fully powered ones, and TBH I honestly only haven't done it because I'd rather spend the candy on other things, I have the candy to power those up too.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, that beats the poo poo out of my bug/lightning combo

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Shinies were originally a glitch iirc, which is why some of them basically look the same and others are super weird.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Even since gifts have been nerfed I have so many pinaps. I'm up to 200 after getting down to 50 on squirtle day and using them on gyms for the first time ever.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Where you spin the stops apparently dictates what eggs you get.

When I was in Queenstown last year everyone was amazed that I'd hatched enough larvitar eggs to have three fully powered tyranitar, none of them had ever hatched more than 2-3 of them, and yet in western Canada that was all I was hatching for ages.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Does bigger stuff start showing up as I get into the 30s, or are ultra balls just for when something sorta rare shows up that you don't want to let run away?
It's this, I save my berries for gyms only and just use an ultra instead of a great.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Machamp is easily the easiest 3-star raid for me. I use a Gardevoir, three Espeons, my double psychic metagross because he's tanky and then Alakazam if needed. I can generally finish off Machamp with 20-30 seconds to go.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is there a way to get Mewtwo without having to complete a 5 star raid? He seems to be a staple of a bunch of raid clear teams and a good attacker in general, but if my problem is that I need to solo raids 3* and below raids because nobody else is around, then Mewtwo isn't really an option for me.
That's the only way AFAIK. I had one ex pass from when I went to the city, but I was out of town on that day and couldn't attend :( Level 37 and no mewtwo here.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Pez posted:

Also this "make an excellent curveball throw" research is going to kill me, I either throw it off one side of the screen or other, and the rare occasions I hit the little jerk it's not in the circle
It took me like four days but it's worth it for the Absol.

If PokeJesus is smiling down on you you'll live where it's raining and Wailmer will spawn multiple times.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kowak posted:

Is anyone here from the Toronto area? My wife and I are on vacation and would like to find a group to do Zapdos raids with on Saturday.

Go to the Silph Road or the reddit (r/thesilphroad) and ask for the discord link over there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

humpthewind posted:

Is alolan marowak soloable? I'm traveling this weekend and want to know if I can get it. It looks like Raichu will be but 20k CP gives me pause

No, you need 3-4 or 2 maxed out teams of Kyogre in rainy weather, basically.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Great throws are pretty easy if you practice them, I get great throws on probably 50%+ of my throws now. This morning I had a "get 3 great throws in a row" reward and I got it on my next three throws.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Also I can’t help but feel the same people who moan about ball throwing aren’t using curveballs, and they really should be because it’s way more forgiving to hit the centre than if you slightly skew a straight throw and are hosed for the bonuses.
Hahaha I'm soooo bad at curveballs, and because when they became a big thing I was already so good at throwing straight balls since I'd been working on it so hard I never really bothered, and so now whenever I get a curveball quest they take me so long to do.

I've been practicing for the last week or so and getting a lot better, though.

Also, getting good at throwing great balls means you're literally getting 50% extra XP for almost every catch.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hold off until community day; you never know what the exclusive moves will be or if there'll be a way to make them evolve into whatever you want. I have a level 28 93% that I caught the other day and a level 25 96% that I'm hanging onto just in case. It's like a two week wait.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I walk my dog at 6-8am most mornings and when I'm on the earlier side of that I always see a ton of ghosts.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I finally got my second Alolan Vulpix after getting a super lovely one the first time around. And the best part is she's from Tbilisi, Georgia. She's now a Ninetails, and will go in literally every gym I ever capture until the end of time.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I am far too socially awkward to do T5 raids so I am happy with my three regular thunder chickens (and four frosty chooks and two Absolute Units). I am waiting with bated breath for Moltres to appear as a research reward as she was always my favourite magic bird :syoon:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Moltres was the first research reward.

~Coxy posted:

Nobody tell him.

I just can't do this to her, it's too painful.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Robokomodo posted:

Well, if they follow the pattern, then moltres will be the next raid train bird in August. Don’t worry about being awkward. Everyone that plays is awkward. You’ll be fine.

While this is true, if you really, really don't want to get involved for whichever reason, as long as your local group uses the public lobby, you can sit apart from everyone else, pretend you're working or whatever, and join in anyway. As long as you're still within range of the gym you don't need to actually be with the group of people.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I got 9/10 of the ones I did, one shiny and one 96%. Also got 55 rare candy, 5 fast TMs and 4 charged TMs.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

pod6isjerks posted:

I'm leaving Tbilisi on Thursday so if you haven't received a cool mon from here, please let me know. I'll send as many gifts as I can but I don't know how much I'll be able to play in the next few days.

Safe travels, thanks for the cool mons!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I'm assuming Groudon with mud slap / earthquake would be the best Raichu counter.

Nope, it's double ghost Gengar according to Pokebattler!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, my gym team is made up of a bunch of 90%+ machamps I got from winning raids, all my other mons are for dropping in gyms or raiding.

• Locked thread