Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

I got y'all a common eider and then it went to hang out and pretend it was a long-tailed duck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/BirdCentralPark/status/1075596802416611328

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Birbs on film

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

These have been some good birds but it's time to get serious

https://twitter.com/BirdPerHour/status/1075390940439871493

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

This yawning, weird-necked fellow isn't supposed to be in my neck of the woods at all...

...and this no-necked, undersized individual is just here out-of-season.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I've read 50 pages of birds over the last couple days because I've had a really bad week/month/year so thanks guys for delivering that purestrain bird. There can never be too many corvids IMO so have some pics of various crow friends from my neighborhood

Google made a fun animation out of some pics I took over the summer of this gregarious corb.

This was from halloween. I don't actually walk around in a black cape all the time, because society is dumb.

sometime u do a floof

This is my newest friend! This pic is when they were a fledgling...

...and here they are as of a couple days ago. I pretty much can't take the trash out without this little doof kerflumphing on the fence directly next to my head and mugging me for unsalted nuts.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I am jealous. I want crow friends.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Master Twig posted:

I am jealous. I want crow friends.

:same:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
It's magical

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Just a bunch of servants of the Dark Lord, chilling.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Crowtographer/status/1074545363095146496

Pro-follow if you like pictures of crows.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Sitting Here posted:

I've read 50 pages of birds over the last couple days because I've had a really bad week/month/year so thanks guys for delivering that purestrain bird. There can never be too many corvids IMO so have some pics of various crow friends from my neighborhood

Google made a fun animation out of some pics I took over the summer of this gregarious corb.

This was from halloween. I don't actually walk around in a black cape all the time, because society is dumb.

sometime u do a floof

This is my newest friend! This pic is when they were a fledgling...

...and here they are as of a couple days ago. I pretty much can't take the trash out without this little doof kerflumphing on the fence directly next to my head and mugging me for unsalted nuts.

Crow lady is much better than cat lady.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

nurrwick posted:

This yawning, weird-necked fellow isn't supposed to be in my neck of the woods at all...

Why is this birb covered in stickers? Is he part of a crime scene?

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why is this birb covered in stickers? Is he part of a crime scene?

Swans are usually rude bastards, so could well be... This one was more than happy to just sit about 25 feet away and look at me though.

(serious answer if anyone actually needs it: identification and tracking of migratory patterns. We saw another trumpeter swan in the same lake last year, could have been this one but it wasn't tagged/yet)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

There used to be a Danish guy who just out of hobby interest ringed every swallow that came by his farm, for like 50 years, and marked down in a journal every season when or if they returned (tens of thousands total). Beautify citizen science, and what a nice hobby to watch birds and touch them closely against your body

*cough* I mean to have their nests up against your thatched roof

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Somebody has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Dec 27, 2018

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
A local gull gang have begun exploiting my autistic weakness for patterns when scrap farming:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

ynohtna posted:

A local gull gang have begun exploiting my autistic weakness for patterns when scrap farming:

good gulls, cool roofscape

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ynohtna posted:

Scrap farming? Does that mean you're stealing the lead off rooftops?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
The gulls are the ones farming my kitchen scraps for their hungry bellies.

(That shot is from just outside the hallway window of my top floor flat.)

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Krankenstyle posted:

There used to be a Danish guy who just out of hobby interest ringed every swallow that came by his farm, for like 50 years, and marked down in a journal every season when or if they returned (tens of thousands total). Beautify citizen science, and what a nice hobby to watch birds and touch them closely against your body

*cough* I mean to have their nests up against your thatched roof

:yikes:

maybe you should stick to bird watching

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
hold birb gentle like hotdog

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Love to eat my bed

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Love to loaf in a loaf.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Master Twig posted:

Thank you, but the praise does not belong at my feet. My roommate Tony is the artist behind the amazing birb photographs. I am merely delivering his product. If you wish to show your thanks and appreciation, then please donate to the go fund me set up when his birding camera and lens were stolen. Find it here.

Also, here's Wednesday's bird. It is not a puffball.

Done. Also, wow: Sir David Attenbirbo donated $500? I wonder if it was really him. The amount sort of implies it is.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How did we not blow it out of the water when it dropped?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

RandomPauI posted:

How did we not blow it out of the water when it dropped?

Not too late for a Christmas miracle.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/TomasGretar/status/1076546049043513344

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
A Sri Lankan junglefowl looking fabulously resplendent (also slightly accusatory).

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/uwVtheg.mp4

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Master Twig posted:

Thank you, but the praise does not belong at my feet. My roommate Tony is the artist behind the amazing birb photographs. I am merely delivering his product. If you wish to show your thanks and appreciation, then please donate to the go fund me set up when his birding camera and lens were stolen. Find it here.
Merry christmas.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

ynohtna posted:

A Sri Lankan junglefowl looking fabulously resplendent (also slightly accusatory).

my friend in hs was a chicken egg farmer. He had a couple of these and took them to fair's and stuff. His had to have their wings clipped because they have like short distance flight abilities and even with their wings clipped they found a way to get on the pidgeon coop then on the chicken coop then onto the garage roof which let them get out of the yard. I helped him put a fence on the garage.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
very cool

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I love this tiny sparrow.

Thank you.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

We’re staying up on the NSW Central coast and saw this Heron with a fish spine hanging out of its beak being followed around by four other Herons who obviously wanted some delicious fish spine too. They crowded around for about half an hour. The Heron didn’t eat his fish spine, but neither did he share. Meanie.

Also saw this bird but I’m not sure what it is. A Cormorant maybe?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I love this tiny sparrow.

Thank you.

He was paid well for his modelling services in corn chips.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm just spitballing here, but are there enough people here to justify making birb tags?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RandomPauI posted:

I'm just spitballing here, but are there enough people here to justify making birb tags?

I am about to go to bed after a long day of cleaning up goatses, but if anybody in this thread would like a bird crazies tag (there are two styles; the one that I wear and an OG rectangular one that is still used by some regulars in the Pet Island bird thread) just quote me and mention which one it is you'd like.

Good night!