Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Zil posted:

Very pretty birb, love the mix of blues and purples.

Looks like an amethyst starling. They're beautiful :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

What kind of pigeon are these?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet-backed_starling

I wish you could keep them in the US, they're beautiful

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Inceltown posted:

For that goon who was thinking "what is Australia's rarest finch?" I present. The Gouldian Finch:

They're not uncommon in captivity, I believe. If it wasn't such a time sink that'd be a fun thing to try and do

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

They were so rare that in the "Birds of Australia" book I had as a child they were one of only two entries that used illustrations instead of photographs. The other was some kind of albatross, I think.

I have a hard time believing that scarcity was the reason, if we're still talking about gouldians. They were over collected for captivity, and impacted by habitat loss, so I'd buy that getting a shot of wild populations could be hard, but not that any picture at all was difficult

DeadlyMuffin has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Jul 16, 2021

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Spotted a Superb Fairy Wren for the first time ever in Sydney the other morning. There are signs up in rejuvenation areas talking about building habitat for them but I am an old, old, man who has been around since before they kept records and have never seen one. Seeing one hopping around on the cliffs above a the beach in town was quite a treat.

Is that part of their historical range?

I visited Tasmania a few years ago and they were all over. Gorgeous little birds.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

The worst Australian bird name is the "intermediate egret"
It's bigger than the little egret, but not quite so large as the great egret, you see.

That's a funny name! I'd have called them "chazwoppers".

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

lord funk posted:

I took a whole trip to QLD to see one of these guys and failed and this one just shits on some dude's hand. drat.

They're all over the place in Tasmania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Your Computer posted:

knowing birds this is supposed to be some sort of flirting isn't it

100% you can even see the female he's chasing after