Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My house has a hedge on one side of the front lawn that is always full of sparrows and the occasional chickadee or nuthatch. I say "hi birds" to them every time I come home from work. They don't all scatter as often as they used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Look ma I'm a heraldry

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

If they're screaming, that's their flock alert sound - one of them probably spotted a hawk or cat or something. They can actually be quite musical when they're so inclined.

I'll still take them over that loving wren. ter-WEEET ter-WEEET ter-WEEET over and over again, starting at about 5 AM outside my bedroom window.

This is the soundtrack of it's 4 am and I just want to go back to sleep please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNsF_tyHiUY

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Trying to lure it in so he can make a rat sandwich

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mizuti posted:

Baby cassowary

A cassonaive, then?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Trust in God, but tie your eagle

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Randaconda posted:

look at this round boi

"Being transformed into a bird did nothing to stop my love of black metal."

Phy has a new favorite as of 22:47 on Oct 9, 2018

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Master Twig posted:

Tiny birb shows us what he thinks of the upper class.

That is TREASON, Johnny!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Part of the reason I like this thread is because, if birds are so weird, how weird were the dinosaurs? Imagine a hadrosaur doing this with a big dried-up gourd

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zernach posted:

Those look like furbies you would actually want to own.

Well, until they open their mouths:

They're built like muppets

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A strong raven presence is one of the few things I miss about the little mining town I lived in for a while. That and thunderstorms every three days like clockwork in the summer. We get crows here, and acres of magpies, but they're not the same. I've never heard a crow go "pKWEEduk".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Inceltown posted:

Not gonna lie, magpies have the best bird call. Sorry that your opinion is wrong instead of this fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z06Uwp74AGM

I was looking at this post real concerned-like until I remembered, and following the video link confirmed, that you meant the Australian magpie

The North American magpie, while a charming little bugger (and one who's never, ever swooped me), isn't winning any awards for the beauty of its song. Unless the judge is another magpie, I suppose.

https://youtu.be/wCFt_fwHUnM

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I thought that's how you had to walk to not attract the worm

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Heath posted:

Both birds and humans scream for no reason at all :hmmyes:

*a distant howl, as of a man trumpeting his vindication from the inside of a wine barrel in the marketplace*

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

America’s national animal ought to be the grizzly bear.

The Russian brown bear isn't particularly grizzled but given the last four years it's a decent fit

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

V nice bat though

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I want to have bird friends but my neighbors let their cat out and, while he is an absolute sweetheart to us, he slaughters mice and the occasional sparrow that gets caught outside the safety of our hedge

And then in the back I keep a little vegetable garden and I don't want the crows to associate it with food

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If it's not a lyrebird, but it keeps telling everybody it is, is it still kind of a lyrebird?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

They don't handle cold weather very well, unfortunately. They only live year-round in warm climates like the American south.

Toronto, Ontario, infamous for its mild winters and its baseball team named after any other bird

(sorry Cythereal not trying to dogpile on you)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm used to seeing a cockatoo in a car, but usually they're in the front seats of an Audi

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ah, the proverbial moist owlet

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

"Listen mac, just because I really did want a cracker doesn't mean it's ok to stereotype us"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

EPICAC posted:

Yep, gray jays, recently renamed to Canada Jay.

I'm gonna stick with grey jay, if only because "Canada Jay" sounds like it should be prefaced with "Honest" and followed by " 's Used Canoe Dealership"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

If birds have rules, I haven't observed any.

I would like to know why both Arctic and Antarctic seabirds settled on stark black and white coloration. The stocky body is relatively obvious, greater volume per surface area means slower heat loss. But why do penguins look so much like alcids, to the point that the first bird called a "penguin" was the flightless, now-extinct great auk, and the Antarctic penguins are named after it?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah I do understand countershading and why it occurs, it's more like, why is it so stark in the high latitude birds, so that two completely separate populations arrived at the same coloration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I have videos set to not autoload in the awful app, so I had to click through to imgur, and loving lol that it made me confirm I was over 18 to watch it