Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Please get me out of this snake.

Cockatiels are indeed best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

One of my birds had a really good song that is a combination of If You're Happy And You Know It and the Addams Family theme song. So I taught him La Cucaracha. Now I get "If You're Happy And You Know The Addams Family's Pet Cockroach" I guess. All music goes into one song.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Master Twig posted:

My new roommate enjoys the hobby of going out into nature and taking photographs of birds. So, now you guys are going to get a birb a day from his collection.

The tiny birb demands it.

Tinny birbs are the most ferocious.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

God, I love ospreys.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Cockatoos love doing poo poo like this because they know it drives dogs insane.

Imagine a flock of a hundred cockatoos flying up and down a street doing this for nine hours and it gets a lot less funny.

Sometimes they stop and let you think they've gone. Then, when you finally relax, the trees start barking.

Man, living in Australia must be a trip.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Master Twig posted:

Wednesday Birb

I got one of these in my neighborhood who likes to sit under my apartment window on the power lines, alternating drumming and yelling. One of my cockatiels will yell back at him.

They're good birds.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

It's a tail feather. Hard to say. Could be a red shafted northern flicker?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Honestly, I knew it was a tail feather (it's symmetrical. A wing feather, while of similar length, is going to be asymmetrical, with one side shorter than the other), and I looked at birds of California for ones with red tails until I ran into the northern flicker. Didn't realise you got them down there, but apparently they're everywhere. We usually have the yellow-shafted around here, though. Same species, just a regional colour variation. In places where you have both, they breed with each other readily. They are not racist.

I like northern flickers. There's one in my neighbourhood that spent the spring sitting on the telephone pole under my kitchen window yelling and drumming, and one of my cockatiels kept yelling back to him.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Surprisingly effective enforcement, if you're small enough for the bird to impale your corpse on a nearby thorn or sharp branch.

(Shrikes are awesome)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Man, what did satin bowerbirds even do before there was supremely blue human garbage to pick from?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Bald eagles look cool and imposing but they are the goofiest birds. And also notorious thieves, especially from osprey who are way better at catching fish but also smaller than eagles. My dad maintains that when he was fishing an eagle came and grabbed a fish right out of his hands as he was throwing it back. My dad's not inclined to fish tales, so I believe him.

They also make undignified chirpy noises. I love them.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Loons are the seals of the bird world. They can move about on land, but only sort of. I love them.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

A few years back I was studying with a pair of international students (Indian and Filipino, we had first year chemistry together) and it turned into an impromptu lesson on Canadian coinage and why different coins are called what they are, because it turned out to be a thing they found confusing. Then comes the question: "but why is the $1 called a loonie and why is there a duck on it????"

Thank god for YouTube, honestly. "This is a loon, they're cool diving birds with crazy spooky songs. Please learn to love them like I do."

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Blep

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Mizuti posted:

Baby cassowary

This is the most dumb baby dinosaur being dumb.

I love this baby dinosaur. Look at its face!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

This is awful.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

We agree that the raven is good and the seagull is evil, right?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

https://youtu.be/UfpL9Z9d8uE

I like the version with sound because those are just bigger versions of the noises my cockatiel used to make when he was a baby and I'd rub his head.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Zernach posted:

Nothing here but us chickens

This took me a moment.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

whar r u new frend

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

There's a small office building less than a block from my apartment building with pink stucco and teal tile accents. It's... a peculiarly dated bit of construction. I walked by it today and there were tiles falling from the sky onto the sidewalk. I looked up and saw a woodpecker (I want to say a northern flicker, but the light was not forgiving and I saw it mostly in silhouette), cheerily prying tiles off the side of the building.

An architectural critic or just hoping for bugs under tiles? Either way, it did not appreciate me looking at it and it hopped up onto the top of the building, out of sight.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Pigeons are really underappreciated. Even the humble rock dove has an iridescent rainbow for a necklace.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

You know, if dodos were basically big flightless pigeons, then I choose to believe they were also really pretty.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

coldpudding posted:

I had to rescue a crow on the way into work today, the poor thing was hopelessly tangled in this lovely plastic pallet netting,

it took a good couple of minutes of work with a screaming uncooperative patient and getting harassed by other crows but I managed to get it all off and let it run off,
I only hope it appreciated it as I'd rather not get on the crows poo poo list.

Crows are pretty smart. I wouldn't be surprised if it figured things out after the fact, even if it was panicked in the moment. You did a good thing.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

How come every ringneck I've ever seen video of is just obsessed with kissing?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Still Life with Cockatoo, circa 1640 by unknown Dutch artist.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Heath posted:

That's an otter taking a poo poo, but I could be wrong

Pooping or scent marking. They do the little dance in both cases. Frequently they go to these latrine sites in groups and play and dance and poop and groom each other. It's a whole social event if you're a river otter.

... I did a project on river otter pooping habits earlier this semester.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Bored posted:

Are you the one I learned about the otter poop twerk from? I think it was in the cute thread. I've just shared videos with a friend who was unaware of the river otter potty dance for the last 20 minutes. (I had shared the video of Steve the otter with her, which led me to informing her of the potty dance)

These are the kind of nuggets of knowledge that keep me returning to the forums. As well as other cool animal facts.

Edit: obligatory birb video
https://youtu.be/5oj5ViojVaY

It might have been me, lol. I told a lot of people about that.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I never considered the possibility that ducks were waterdogs. Makes sense, goats are dogs with hooves.

All animals are either dogs or cats.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Addition: climbing

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Heath posted:

Certain birds tagged with red bands get laid more often than ones with other colors or ones without. I forget where I read that, but birbs love adornments

Lol. We talked about this phenomenon in zebra finches in an animal behaviour class I took. Zebra finches love red. Red is sexy.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Extinct giant possibly carnivorous parrot found.

I want one to be my friend!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Randaconda posted:

Another fun fact: birds, like humans who mate for life, also cheat

In an animal behaviour class I took, at one point we discussed a chickadee nest where the chicks were DNA tested, and while all of the babies from that nest belonged to at least one parent, none of them belonged to both the birds raising them.

An extreme situation, but a reality. Also I find the image of dad's side chick(adee) laying in an egg in his nest and then loving off kind of hilarious.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Lofty goals.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yes, Kaeli Swift PhD, I agree. Crows are beautiful.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ducks don't look real.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My tiels do the scratch-over-the-wing thing too, and I'm always a little puzzled at how that is the easiest way to scratch your face, but what do I know, I don't have wings.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I voted galah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Heath posted:

(vibrating and shimmering intensify)

Vibrating with anger.