Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

There is evidently a Snowy down here in Milwaukee, and one reported a little north in Port Washington. A friend and I go out to find them, but it normally turns into day drinking and brunch with no owl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Silver-eared Leiothrix, in China:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Screech Owl napping in a drain pipe.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I've had that as my phone background for like 5 years.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Tomorrow I'm going to a raptor handling workshop at our local nature center. BERDS.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Raptor handling workshop was awesome. Got to hold these two: Barred Owl and Kestrel. Plus got to fly a Turkey Vulture, and hang out with a baby Barred and tons of others

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Chaosfeather posted:

That is awesome. What type of training do you need to do to enroll?

Perhaps I shouldn't, as my first thought was "I would so pet those birds"
No training. It's a one day event people can sign up for at our local Audubon center. You go in, learn about the care of the birds, clean their mews, handle them, and get to know the way they take care of them.

And yeah, first thing they say is no petting lol.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Randaconda posted:

look at this round boi

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Master Twig posted:

Im not sure if this birb picture is properly oriented.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

DorianGravy posted:

Like these bright-headed birds, greet the new week with cheery determination.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

To be honest, I've been birding my whole life and always questioned whether I've actually positively ID'd a common raven or not.

Welp, don't have to guess anymore.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Just got a new lens. I call it the bird bazooka.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Birdzooka was right there. Also birbzooka.

Dammit you're right.

This Eastern Screech has been living in this drain pipe under a bridge for a year now. Still there. Still pissed.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I'm having a blast seeing new birds here in China, but I suck at identifying them. Even with my book.

Anyway don't know who this is, but check out that floofy tail!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Hello I am applying for birb status here is my portfolio:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Megabound posted:

White-browed is really selling that birb short. I'd go with Rainbow-orb

Exactly what I was thinking! Similar to a bird I saw in Thailand:

If you had to name this bird, what feature would you highlight? The golden belly, royal purple shoulders, turquoise nape or crown?

Nope. Brown-throated Sunbird.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Never seen an Anna's Hummingbird before, but there are tons around our hotel and it's awesome.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Phanatic posted:

I picked up a bigass 2.8 300mm lens with a 2x teleconverter. The downsides are that it's huge and it's only manual focus. But man.
Welcome, huge lens birder! I call mine Birdzooka.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Australia is loud with bird song, all the time. Just morning to night birds shrieking their asses off.

Then you come back to the US and it's like silence.

edit: new page here's a bird I found

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Yeah but that's the fun of traveling around. I had the same thought when I saw ibises in Australia.

Where I grew up seeing a Bald Eagle was an event. But I'm up by Lake Superior right now and you can't look outside without seeing one fly by. Yawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I laugh every time I walk by a dumpster with the EAGLE WASTE company logo on it up here.