Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly never really bought the idea of desert people somehow being superior to the rest of the universe/conquerors. They'd likely be malnourished with poor genetics due to a restrictive gene pool and the need to reproduce like rabbits to replace people dying from a 33 year old life expetancy. The idea of someone transforming themselves into a desert 'creature', waging jihad, and threatening to end civilization by blowing themselves and everyone else around them right the gently caress up was fairly prescient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Damo posted:

I've read Dune twice and it was great both times. There is no reason to read anything past Dune. Just stop, seriously. If you get apologists telling you anything else, ignore it. Dune is fantastic. Everything else is garbage. I have warned you.

Don't be a dummy buddy or i'll turn you into a creature in the shape of a chair who can only respond to requests like "fimer", "softer" "lumbar support poochy" "come here boy, the duke's back aches today"

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

Milo and POTUS posted:

ive read the first one but it was decades back now when i was in middle school and i dont recall no chairdogs

according to the wiki, chairdogs are first mentioned in the 5th book

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
All of the characters post-Dune are so loving alien and far removed from humanity as I know it that I cannot relate to them at all and I therefore find it very difficult to give a gently caress about them or their struggles

The rabbits in Watership Down are far more compelling

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I relate to them so much that Miles Teg is practically my spirit animal and Odrade is the very essence of my feminine side.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Doctor Dogballs posted:

The super gay sci-fi masterpiece, DUDE

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

Tomorrow you'll need all your faculties to meet my gom jabbar.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
"spice" is a metaphor for drugs

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

water is a metaphor for "wet"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

several references to the middle east. deserts, and zen-sunni

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

The wealthy malcontents had far more destructive things they could use than just 'rig a laser to shoot at a shield'.

Been a while since I read it, and I might be misremembering, but the reason nobody ever uses shield-and-laser for intentional mass destruction is because there were devices that were actually meant to make as big a boom as possible, and didn't do it by accident. You don't need to exploit two pieces of technology that have an unintended consequence like you're exploiting gameplay mechanics. You can just make a real bomb using the same principles. Or something far more destructive altogether. And that's actually used. Technically illegal, but it didn't stop someone from smuggling one onto the Messia's own planet.

The only scrappy terrorist underdogs group was the Fremen themselves in book one, and they didn't have access to shields and lasers. After that, the religious fanatics are the ones running things, and the people who want to shake things up are quite well funded and technologically savvy. They don't need improvised nukes duct-taped together. They have things that go beyond nukes.

And someone just running into an important person's place and firing a laser at the shielded guards was a constant worry, too.

This is a good post.

There is a part in Children where a guide tries to assassinate pre-worm Leto by using a shield belt to attract a worm towards him. It's a good read, imo.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zippy the Bummer posted:

All of the characters post-Dune are so loving alien and far removed from humanity as I know it that I cannot relate to them at all and I therefore find it very difficult to give a gently caress about them or their struggles

The rabbits in Watership Down are far more compelling

Watership Dune

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

I honestly never really bought the idea of desert people somehow being superior to the rest of the universe/conquerors. They'd likely be malnourished with poor genetics due to a restrictive gene pool and the need to reproduce like rabbits to replace people dying from a 33 year old life expetancy. The idea of someone transforming themselves into a desert 'creature', waging jihad, and threatening to end civilization by blowing themselves and everyone else around them right the gently caress up was fairly prescient.

i remember this

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Zippy the Bummer posted:

moneo was the only dude with his head on straight in all of God Emperor

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ohfuckohfuckohfuck this god drat monster is gonna kill me shitshitshitshit

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Prav posted:

moneo was the only dude with his head on straight in all of God Emperor

He was a chickenshit coward, though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Doctor Dogballs posted:

The super gay sci-fi masterpiece, DUDE

all these words sound cool

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Shaddak posted:

On the subject of the Dune Legends series (the prequels Brian Herbert co-wrote with Kevin J. Anderson), I would agree that their definitely not "good" books. If you're a big fan of Frank Herbert, or his Dune stuff specifically, don't read them. If you're looking for a mildly entertaining book to read, the kind of thing that has building sized cyborgs destroying poo poo (which I suspect is probably Andersons influence), then go ahead. Their a lot more entertaining if you pretend their action stories that have nothing to do with Dune.

I gotta agree with this. Some of the characters are completely flat, and some are written as downright obtusely incompetent, but some parts are good in a pulpy sense. I liked the 3rd faction of cyborgs, and the juxtaposition of turning the Atreides/Harkonnen relationship on its head, plus the campaign of torching hundreds of inhabited planets to make sure they destroyed the machines was pretty :hellyeah: in a horrifying way.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Children Of Dune is, i think a good deal better than messiah so far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In regards to the whole lasgun versus shields thing, it was mentioned in the first book that the reason nobody uses it as a weapon is because the reaction is completely random. You could have a gigantic atomic level explosion, or it could just blow up the person wearing the shield and the lasgun user. The one time Duncan Idaho does it, it just happens to cause the giant explosion.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Dune is one of the few famous sci-fi books I never got around to reading and this thread convinced me to start so thanks OP it's pretty good so far

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Also Villeneuve owns and is the best possible director they could've picked for the project.

Well, Lynch is still around...

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

With Denis Villeneuve attached to a Dune film project these scenes from Blade Runner 2049 make much more sense as a trial run for the visuals / color palette / etc.:

Also Villeneuve owns and is the best possible director they could've picked for the project. IMO it's one of the upsides to the Herbert estate holding onto the IP with such a death grip over these years even if you're not a fan of the BH/JKA novels.

but will it be as good as jorodowski's?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

SniperWoreConverse posted:

"I want to make Orson Welles into Baron Harkonnen. I propose to him I buy the gastronomic restaurant so he may get into character. Like this, I have Orson Welles."

fakeedit: I love Jodorowsky but he was also planning to make some pretty big plot changes that were not conducive to the story.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the ways stilgar says gawd
https://youtu.be/5-EdLMxjPCg

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

phasmid posted:

"I want to make Orson Welles into Baron Harkonnen. I propose to him I buy the gastronomic restaurant so he may get into character. Like this, I have Orson Welles."

fakeedit: I love Jodorowsky but he was also planning to make some pretty big plot changes that were not conducive to the story.

didn't he have a scene where Dali, as the Emperor of all humanity, shits and pisses into a pair of golden dolphins' open mouths, at the same time? I didn't actually get to see the documentary about it
good spaceship design tho

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

didn't he have a scene where Dali, as the Emperor of all humanity, shits and pisses into a pair of golden dolphins' open mouths, at the same time? I didn't actually get to see the documentary about it
good spaceship design tho

It's worth a watch. Dali had some weird thing where he wanted a pair of toilets shaped like dolphins (and a flaming giraffe but that's not related) because he didn't want the poo poo and the piss to touch eachother. He was basically acting like a stooge and trying to ruin the movie.

The spaceships are Chris Foss, and I love the cool-rear end look he gave to pirate ships, having them painted to camouflage them against nebulae and such.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
The Dune series (original six) are my favorite novels. However.....didn't much care for God Emperor. I've read some of Brian's books. The House books are not bad.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
"How do we make a person attractive to a worm-dude-emperor?"

"Just put a dude that he sort of doesn't like into the [opposite chamber], and you'll get the most attractive woman in the universe, silly!"

"Oh yeah, that's brilliant, and if we do it in a cloaking device room, then even people with magic future-vision won't know what happens."

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

no-ships and no-rooms make little sense but i guess he really wrote himself into a corner of the possible stories that could be told under the spectre of prescient demigods.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I really liked Dune when I was young but it kinda suffers when you try to think about plot points too much. What strikes me as the worst is the fall of the Atreides.

Everyone including supposedly super intelligent and devious mentat is looking for a traitor and noone is above suspicion except the doctor due to his unbreakable imperial training. Training so profound that only the sick minds of Harkonnen could think of something like GASP kidnapping his loved one for blackmail.

Duke, knowing that his house is infiltrated sees that sentries of force field room are missing, finds a dying servant and instead of sounding the alarm or telling anyone at all goes by himself into a dark corridor while turns off his shield so "it wont constrain his movement" :downs:

This is just so dumb and such a stark contrast with with paranoid future security that the book keeps emphasizing from the start.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ol' rapey mr. jodorowsky was a disaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUrd-VWiBZM

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yueh was suspected and nearly caught by Jessica and Hawat but mitigating circumstance and chance saved him.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
studio: *gives jodorowsky millions of dollars*

*he blows it all on expensive art books and concept drawings that have the bare-minimum to do with dune, wants to hire salvador dali*

jodorowsky: RAPE RAPE RAPE

studio: oh god alejandro what are you doing

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

basic hitler posted:

Yueh was suspected and nearly caught by Jessica and Hawat but mitigating circumstance and chance saved him.

Yeah, maybe. It was a long time.

As for lasgun+shield discussion, I think Frank realized that this mechanic was kinda a bad idea. If I am not mistaken force fields are being mentioned as little as possible (if at all) after book 1.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i see lasguns as like peasant-killing weapons more than anything else. if the lower orders get out of line the feudal house can just carve a whole mob into pieces

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

Your new av really sucks :(

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Spinster posted:

I like it on a certain level but i've been thinking about going back to my duck or that thing you made a while back for a new av. we'll see.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

phasmid posted:

It's worth a watch. Dali had some weird thing where he wanted a pair of toilets shaped like dolphins (and a flaming giraffe but that's not related) because he didn't want the poo poo and the piss to touch eachother. He was basically acting like a stooge and trying to ruin the movie.

The spaceships are Chris Foss, and I love the cool-rear end look he gave to pirate ships, having them painted to camouflage them against nebulae and such.

dali was kinda a tool from everything ive read about him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Spinster posted:

What's wrong with it? Certainly stands out.

Especially in a thread that's fundamentally about space drugs.