Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

um I would enjoy the ending if it featured Bobby Shaftoe in a death defying mission acting like a boss per usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

eSports Chaebol posted:

there already is a sci-fi about pizza delivery being a life-or-death endeavor

actually where IS our Snow Crash movie? it would make a good movie. also it's a documentary since we already live in the parody cyberpunk dystopia irl and also a crazy religious corporate boss got caught trying to smuggle cuneiform tablets from Iraq (im not even making this up it's one of the Hobby Lobby guys)

That is loving funny as hell. Hob Lob is big in the southern Midwest and they are as crazy as they sound. They've definitely done poo poo like that before (I think last time had something to do with smuggling rare animals?) so I could see them doing the L. Bob Rife Ministries thing.

Pretty good posted:

Also mainstream critics and the Movie Going Public would call it a weird bad ripoff of Ready Player One.

*everyone sighs and draws their katana at once*

Phlegmish posted:

Just started reading God Emperor, there's a scene with D-wolves and I can't stop thinking it stands for Dickwolves

Run Siona run

Pretty sure it's a reference to direwolves, which got pretty big back in the Earth days. Leto II has a lot of experience with genetic engineering (obviously). That's one of my favorite scenes in the books. "Beloved Straggler" :(

Grevling posted:

Really, Lynch added the cat with what looked like a rat taped to it himself? Lmao. Yeah this should be in the new movie.

I want there to be at least one pug but I do not think Denis will do that. Ah well.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

hobby lobby was literally paying daesh for artefacts. It should have been prosecuted but lol.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

TK-42-1 posted:

hobby lobby was literally paying daesh for artefacts. It should have been prosecuted but lol.

jfc

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

TK-42-1 posted:

hobby lobby was literally paying daesh for what turned out to be fake artefacts. It should have been prosecuted but lol.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

phasmid posted:

*everyone sighs and draws their crysknife at once*

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

While that there did happen, HL was buying poo poo that had gotten looted from the Iraqi museums, when the US Military guarded the oil refineries and explicitly allowed the museums to be looted and burned.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

phasmid posted:

Pretty sure it's a reference to direwolves, which got pretty big back in the Earth days. Leto II has a lot of experience with genetic engineering (obviously). That's one of my favorite scenes in the books. "Beloved Straggler" :(.

I wonder how Herbert felt about action scenes, they're so few and far between that it's interesting to see them. I was so surprised that after following Teg for so long on his low stakes escapee adventure we just skip taking the noship at the end of Heretics that I thought I'd missed a chapter. I assume that if he wasn't introducing a character like the above, or expositing like The Wall scene, he didn't feel it necessary.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I get the feeling as part of the whole deal of subverting pulp sci-fi conventions, Frank didn't consider action scenes to be important or interesting for the most part.

That or figuring things like Duncan Idaho's (first) death were better left to the reader's imagination.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Chubby Henparty posted:

I wonder how Herbert felt about action scenes, they're so few and far between that it's interesting to see them. I was so surprised that after following Teg for so long on his low stakes escapee adventure we just skip taking the noship at the end of Heretics that I thought I'd missed a chapter. I assume that if he wasn't introducing a character like the above, or expositing like The Wall scene, he didn't feel it necessary.

He plays action scenes really well IMO and they play almost musically when you kinda fall into them. It's the way he controls the pitch that makes everything so tense until the break. At the same time, he has two eyes. One is his narrator voice which seems at least to be dispassionate and clear. Then he will sometimes use the first person view of the action "they cut the nose off our ship!" is all that gets said at the turning point of the last battle in Dune. the rest is people around the Emperor wondering what is happening while sandworms eat up the Sardaukar. He does action scenes well because he can encapsulate lots of game-changing things happening within mere moments.

But I will say that the pacing in the last couple of books especially was pretty weird. Not bad, just weird.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nuggan posted:

Since we're listening to the Lynch movie soundtrack, I just want to point out a good portion of it was written/performed by TOTO, of Africa fame.
TOTO minus the front-singer (who was sometimes backup-vocals) was for a long time one of the best session bands in existence, and certainly one of the most prolific.
They worked, in some combination of a few or almost all of the members, with Sonny & Cher, The Jacksons, George Benson, Boz Scaggs, Yes, Chicago, Michael Jackson (on Thriller and several other albums), Rod Stewart, Donna Summer, the Doobie Brothers, Aretha Franklin, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Michael McDonald, Eagles, Earth, Wind & Fire, Yes, Eddie Van Halen, Paul McCartney, Steely Dan, and many many more.
Plus their own discography and their own albums where one member of the band would ask the others to collaborate.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

D. Ebdrup posted:

TOTO minus the front-singer (who was sometimes backup-vocals) was for a long time one of the best session bands in existence, and certainly one of the most prolific.
They worked, in some combination of a few or almost all of the members, with Sonny & Cher, The Jacksons, George Benson, Boz Scaggs, Yes, Chicago, Michael Jackson (on Thriller and several other albums), Rod Stewart, Donna Summer, the Doobie Brothers, Aretha Franklin, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Michael McDonald, Eagles, Earth, Wind & Fire, Yes, Eddie Van Halen, Paul McCartney, Steely Dan, and many many more.
Plus their own discography and their own albums where one member of the band would ask the others to collaborate.

That's nuts.

What's really nuts though, is Chicago using session bands. Haven't they always been like a 20-piece group? I'm p sure at least 100 people have been in Chicago at some point or another

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

u brexit ukip it posted:

e: read Stephenson's latest book, it is good

Isn’t is a sequel to Reamde? Reamde was loving abysmal. When you have an MMO drama plot be more interesting than your globetrotting terrorist chase, you done hosed up. When that MMO drama plot basically vanishes after doing nothing, you hosed up even more. When you end on a 150 page cliche shootout that puts readers to sleep, I am begging you to please, either stop writing or hire an editor.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I get the feeling as part of the whole deal of subverting pulp sci-fi conventions, Frank didn't consider action scenes to be important or interesting for the most part.

That or figuring things like Duncan Idaho's (first) death were better left to the reader's imagination.

Duncan Idaho’s first death was perfect, where they find his mangled body with a cleaver in his head surrounded by a dozen dead Sardukar. Nothing could have lived up to what the reader fills in there.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Two random thoughts halfway through Chapterhouse I don't know which thread it should go in

Odrade: Hmm why must archives waste my time with bullshit minutiae I don't care what seasoning a Sister has on her soup
Also Odrade: Yes, see that Sister over there favouring skim milk in her tea. That is clearly superhuman discipline and the wisdom of ages, promote her immediately

still Odrade: Jessica, a failed Reverend Mother CHRIST FRANK SHE WAS NEVER A BG REVEREND MOTHER SORT IT OUT (the fremen RMs can't have been directly under the BG or Gaius 'Helen' Mohiam would have been all over them)

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I think Jessica got rewritten as a saving face thing by the Bene Gesserit.

Literally canonising her after the fact, I always thought.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Jessica took the Water of Life and got the Other Memory, which is what the BGs do to make Reverend Mothers. Also in Children she returns to the order and formally becomes one (IIRC). She was only a failure (to Odrade) in the sense that her loyalty was divided because she loved the duke.

The canonization of Jessica is more a thing on Rakis where the priests think of her, Paul and Leto II as a holy trinity. The BGs can't lose sight of the reality of her too much because she's literally inside them.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

davidspackage posted:

Kull wahad, what is happening in there!?

...the Golden Path?

Th- The Golden Path? In the year 10,191, at this delicate time, on this desert planet, localized entirely in the place where women fear to look?

.....May I....see it?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

skasion posted:

The canonization of Jessica is more a thing on Rakis where the priests think of her, Paul and Leto II as a holy trinity. The BGs can't lose sight of the reality of her too much because she's literally inside them.

Ah yes, my bad, I confused those two separate views.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Mad Hamish posted:

.....May I....see it?

*Expounds god-wormly for five hours on the minutiae of, loving, fifth century B.C. cattle raising or whatever the gently caress*
So, no.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Ah you're right she does return to the fold and I guess through that and Other Memory becomes just as much a BG RM as any of them. Though Odrade is the one ensuring the BG remember the joy of life and the value of surprises, so she shouldn't think too poorly of Jessica.

From earlier discussions of Leto 1: While I don't doubt he loved Jessica I wonder how much convincing her to disobey the sisterhood was part of a grander plan than just a desire for a son.

Lastly: I am very fond of the few genuinely human moments also scattered through the books: Gurney's men, the group cheering at the wall, Duncan chatting to Marbella in bed like an actual human being.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Isn’t is a sequel to Reamde?

Only very loosely, it does not continue the same story, it just takes one or two characters from it but any references to Reamde are only really in the beginning of the book.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

All the politics and scheming in Dune is so tight and believable it makes me really wonder what kind of poo poo he saw firsthand while he was writing for the newspaper

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I dunno about Readme or Fall;Dodge or hell, which both seem kind of lame, but Seveneves was a very enjoyable read. The first half of the book is very hard scifi, second half of the book is more your typical diamond age technnotopia, so it's got a little something for everyone

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I dunno about Readme or Fall;Dodge or hell, which both seem kind of lame, but Seveneves was a very enjoyable read. The first half of the book is very hard scifi, second half of the book is more your typical diamond age technnotopia, so it's got a little something for everyone

He just forgot to finish the second half. Also (Seveneves spoilers) The half porpoise half man that showed up at the end just made me laugh at how stupid I imagined it looked. I was thinking when Maui gets stuck as a half shark in Moana

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

AFewBricksShy posted:

He just forgot to finish the second half. Also (Seveneves spoilers) The half porpoise half man that showed up at the end just made me laugh at how stupid I imagined it looked. I was thinking when Maui gets stuck as a half shark in Moana

whats nuts is Epstein(rip), Bezos, and others are actively financing some kind of breeding scheme not unlike what resulted it in Seveneve's pingers

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Isn’t is a sequel to Reamde? Reamde was loving abysmal. When you have an MMO drama plot be more interesting than your globetrotting terrorist chase, you done hosed up. When that MMO drama plot basically vanishes after doing nothing, you hosed up even more. When you end on a 150 page cliche shootout that puts readers to sleep, I am begging you to please, either stop writing or hire an editor.

Yeah, I read all of his stuff through Cryptonomicon (this was decades ago), and after that slog I was officially done with his wikipedia factbook style.

Duncan Idaho’s first death was perfect, where they find his mangled body with a cleaver in his head surrounded by a dozen dead Sardukar. Nothing could have lived up to what the reader fills in there.

Kind of like finding Boromir surrounded by piles of Uruks and he's got a dozen arrows in his chest. :black101:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Square shield boi Duncan in the Lynch movie getting taken out by a nail gun never sat right with me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Kind of like finding Boromir surrounded by piles of Uruks and he's got a dozen arrows in his chest. :black101:

This is almost a cliche and yet it works every single time.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

eSports Chaebol posted:

actually where IS our Snow Crash movie?

Villeneuve would have done better with Snow Crash imho. He does like his weird cop stories, no matter what genre they're set in.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Have some Tales From The Dork Web featuring some very pretty art, some of which I've never seen before!

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
I was reading the movie thread. Someone mentioned that the color scheme of red/green/black for the good guys and blue/white for the bad guys would be harder for audiences to grasp intuitively. Someone else countered that the colors make perfect sense from the perspective of a medina arab

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

revwinnebago posted:

Villeneuve would have done better with Snow Crash imho. He does like his weird cop stories, no matter what genre they're set in.

Snow Crash isn't Villaneueve's style at all, maybe David Fincher...who's always been an expert adapting trashy airport fiction into great film.

I had a blast with Snow Crash 20 years ago in high school, but there's some unsavory poo poo in that book that has not aged well.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Snow Crash isn't Villaneueve's style at all, maybe David Fincher...who's always been an expert adapting trashy airport fiction into great film.

I had a blast with Snow Crash 20 years ago in high school, but there's some unsavory poo poo in that book that has not aged well.

Hey man, she had agency. lol

Off topic, but what movie was your av from again?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

revwinnebago posted:

okay another tangent, where's my goddamn "sci-fi" weird cop story novel adaptation i was looking forward to?!?!?!?!

The Coen brothers optioned The Yiddish Policemen's Union then passed on it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

phasmid posted:

Off topic, but what movie was your av from again?

I usually take my avs from The Devils by Ken Russell. It's high up there on my top 10 favorite films list and it screencaps well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC_Z4I62e5Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJmq0LoVWRQ

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

priznat posted:

Square shield boi Duncan in the Lynch movie getting taken out by a nail gun never sat right with me.

It's Lynch, it's probably meant to underscore the futility of heroism in the face of barbarous industry.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Notahippie posted:

It's Lynch, it's probably meant to underscore the futility of heroism in the face of barbarous industry.

Good call, that makes a lot of sense. He did kick some butt beforehand at least.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

I usually take my avs from The Devils by Ken Russell. It's high up there on my top 10 favorite films list and it screencaps well.

That is awesome. I only really just learned about Ken Russel and I remembered you mentioning it earlier. I have to see it now :)

Notahippie posted:

That would make sense. Still liked that cool dagger strike and the surprised trooper's close-up.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

lynch’s shields looking like minecraft skins always makes me chuckle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Yeah in the book they're described as being like a shimmering skin over your own skin and clothes but also the Lynch ones were pretty cool looking despite being stupid and goofy