Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
As far as a movie, I think you can do it in one, but the catch is that the movie can't follow the book so literally.

The problems with the Lynch movie are evident at the very beginning. It starts with Irulan narrating the background, then title credits, and then it goes into another background bit for another seven minutes. Ten minutes in and the movie hasn't started yet.

Then once the movie does start, it starts on Kaitan with the emperor and the Spacing Guild, then moves to Caladan, then to the Harkonnens, then back to Caladan when the Atreides set off for Arrakis. It's just a big mess. If you don't know Dune, you don't what's going on or who to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

basic hitler posted:

Book baron is displacing some lust for feyd and wants him to succeed despite feyd being a huge loving dullard because the alternative is goddamn Raban

He's basically space Tywin lannister especially having to constantly face palm due to having to control some many incompetent minions.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

My friend hated Dune until i was there one day basically relaying every bit of knowledge the movie lacks to make the scene work. This is also how i came to love dune years before i read the books.

Its weird in that its a movie where having a nerd fill in the background improves the experience for some people.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So if I were Villeneuve, I'd seriously start it on Arrakis. Have the opening scene be a Harkonnen ambush on a spice harvester or something like that. Set up the conflict. Show, not tell.

Duncan Idaho, who is doing advance scouting before the rest of the Atreides arrive, dispatches the Harkonnens with his sword and reports back. He flies over the desert, or I dunno, goes on a trip from Arrakis to Caladan. (Think the opening of Blade Runner 2049.) In any case, get the ball rolling quickly and get the Atreides onto the planet sooner.

I'd not even have the Baron show up until the invasion. He needs a big roll-out where the audience goes WTF when they see him.

We don't need to know anything about the CHOAM company or The Spacing Guild. In a way, overly-explaining things is counter-productive because one of Dune's themes is people being manipulated by forces they don't fully understand and cannot control.

An epic, gothic Guild ship needs to be in the movie, but leave some mystery. Spice is crucial to space travel. Without it, the navigators cannot do their work...

Then Hans Zimmer hits the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po10CcXfAn0

Oh and get Dave Bautista to play Rabban.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 18, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The real hardcore Dune fans will go apeshit if that happens, but they want a literal word-for-word adaptation of the book onto the screen, and that's just impractical. These are different forms.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I think a straight laced adaptation is doable. Given studios want franchises, if you can make the first movie interesting enough to carry sequels then it'll work out. Cramming the full book into one movie would be dire but i legit don't think thats the plan.

Whats weird is Messiah and Children would work as single movies

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

basic hitler posted:

I think a straight laced adaptation is doable. Given studios want franchises, if you can make the first movie interesting enough to carry sequels then it'll work out. Cramming the full book into one movie would be dire but i legit don't think thats the plan.

True and the bits and bobs we've heard have been vague enough that there might be more than one film in the works.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i want a God-Emperor series with 10 minute episodes where each one ends with Moneo escaping from a conversation with Leto distraught and terrified

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

actually make it 20 minutes but 10 of them are just pauses in dialogue as they measure each other up

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I want an origin story where we learn how the Fremen began.

Rick from the Walking Dead and his ragtag gang founded the Fremen and he was the first sietch leader.

Dune is actually Earth after global warming.

:dance:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Spinster posted:

I want an origin story where we learn how the Fremen began.

Rick from the Walking Dead and his ragtag gang founded the Fremen and he was the first sietch leader.

Dune is actually Earth after global warming.

:dance:

The Brian Herbert/KJA books go through all of this; Earth was destroyed 10,000 years ago in the war against the machines, and some dude forms Zensunni or Buddhislam or something and moves his tribe to Arrakis and they become the Fremen.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

The Brian Herbert/KJA books go through all of this; Earth was destroyed 10,000 years ago in the war against the machines, and some dude forms Zensunni or Buddhislam or something and moves his tribe to Arrakis and they become the Fremen.

OH crap. I never read the son's dreck because I love the original series too much.

Sigh.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Brian/kja tripe is not canon

The_end
May 17, 2014
During a DMT experience i thought my mind was folding the universe so i could witness the singularity of a black hole.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
This is actually kind of a punctual thread for me because I just bought the first Dune book a couple of weeks ago and I need to actually sit down and start reading it at some point.

Aside from that, my only other exposure to Dune has been internet memes, the Dune RTS games, and watching the extended cut Lynch Dune with my dad when I was seven. I didn't really get a lot out of the latter besides "that guy looks gross" and "that guy riding the big worm looks cool".

Wish me luck!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Some of those pictures people are posting of worm Leto don't make sense to me. I couldn't tell you why, but I pictured worm Leto as enormous. Like his chamber he chills in is the size of like a football stadium and he rides around on a cart big enough to haul a space shuttle laying flat.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

basic hitler posted:

Earth is canonically forgotten/destroyed in Frank's novels anyway.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

is it destroyed? The only references I see imply that it's just merely forgotten/lost.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well that would be the most likely reason, even after 10,000 years. If it's an unimportant backwater or whatever that's one thing, but until the Scattering I don't think the human universe is vast enough to have literally no records of Earth.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
D U N E

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Well that would be the most likely reason, even after 10,000 years. If it's an unimportant backwater or whatever that's one thing, but until the Scattering I don't think the human universe is vast enough to have literally no records of Earth.

cities have gone from prosperous regional capitals to completely lost to slowly recovered archaeology site in the span of a few millenia on earth. Troy, Ur, all those indus river civilization ruins.

if mankind can lose cities on a single planet, the vastness of space being what it is, the ability for a planet to become lost through time seems quite possible or even likely.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DebonaireD posted:

I never thought this interpretation was particularly successful. Wouldn't his face be 15 feet tall? Though I'm not sure what the God Emperor would really look like but that isn't surprising since most of Herbert's images don't really add up to much beyond sounding evocative. There's a revealing interview with Lynch's production and design head talking about trying to get Herbert to more concretely describe what he was imagining for some of the things in the book, and the guy just get flustered and tells her to just do whatever is in the book. Welp, it's too bad they're remaking it - for better or worse, Lynch's Dune IS more Dune than Frank Herbert's Dune.

who are those guys yelling at him

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Milo and POTUS posted:

who are those guys yelling at him

I guess they're there to provide size perspective but they totally look like they're scolding the big worm about something.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zeniel posted:

Not that I dislike the Lynch's Dune, it's great, its just that it should either have been done in more than one film or possibly a proper tv series with an actual budget and good actors this time.

This is what ive been saying a lot about a ton of books that people are eager to see adapted. you cut it to a length that'll be palatable for the average moviegoer and the story's going to be truncated as all hell. or in the case of say james franco wanting to adapt blood meridian, the mpaa would absolutely loving savage any cut you brought them. Take that poo poo to HBO you dummy.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

basic hitler posted:

cities have gone from prosperous regional capitals to completely lost to slowly recovered archaeology site in the span of a few millenia on earth. Troy, Ur, all those indus river civilization ruins.

if mankind can lose cities on a single planet, the vastness of space being what it is, the ability for a planet to become lost through time seems quite possible or even likely.

On the one hand, I get that. But on the other hand, how were they lost? Mostly wars/invasions or natural disasters that left them in ruins, I think. And even in a setting with plentiful habitable planets, the one we evolved on and are thus perfectly suited for is still going to be pretty valuable unless something happened to it.

The one thing that could weigh heavily on your side is the Butlerian Jihad, and if many records (especially electronic ones) were lost, that could do it. I still think it's more likely Earth was at the center, or at least important to, the machine civilization, even without the KJA books, and if Brian really did use his father's notes that lends further credence.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

drat this is mega cool.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
so ... *looks it up*

paul says: "at a conservative estimate, I've killed sixty-one billion, sterilized ninety planets, completely demoralized five hundred others. I've wiped out the followers of forty religions..."

though herbert never went into a full lore 'splainer (if i remember right) of the scope and scale of human settlement in the galaxy.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

basic hitler posted:

I want my remote control tiger assassins adapted to the big screen dammit! Also

basic hitler posted:

Phillip K. Dork
May 25, 2011

Doctor Rope
I know Everett McGill played Stilgar in the Lynch movie but for many years I had forgotten that, misremembering him as Duncan Idaho. In my mind he's still Duncan Idaho, western drawl and everything when I read the books.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Tsaedje posted:

I never understood why every character was so impressed by Duncan Idaho. He never did anything
if you were a nigh immortal being wouldnt you want your best friend around forever too

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The real hardcore Dune fans will go apeshit if that happens, but they want a literal word-for-word adaptation of the book onto the screen, and that's just impractical. These are different forms.

Lol Im the biggest Dune nerd there is and my ideal film version would be a 21st C alt history take on the Saudi/Yemen war featuring psychics and space cannons.

The book is a pretty great thing to read on form alone. The dialogue is purposely obscure, with the characters skipping a few steps in the logic of any convo, showing rather than telling how machivallian and intelligent they were. Pound for for pound its the most unforgiving and least accesible sci fi book ever written that also manages to incredibly exciting and hair raising. And it is just so loving weird.

Its written by a man that looked at a sand dune and explicated a philosophical scheme that is thought provoking regardless of where you stand ideologically, and that's an impressive feat. Its also the only sci fi book that has politics deep and introspective enough to be taught in poli sci classes, including one I attended.

Lastly, as the series continued the thin veneer if plot finally fell away. By chapterhouse there would be like one line of dialogue and ten pages of philosophical digression, and that is extremely my poo poo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Duncan Idaho is a really dumb name for a character though especially in a universe where Idaho the state probably hasn't existed for thousands and thousands of years

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
He's basically a nod to swashbuckling characters from pulp magazines like Amazing Stories.

"Duncan Idaho versus the bug-eyed men from Mars!"

So is the whole swordfighting + shields trope, which people think Herbert invented but was an older trope in those 20s-era stories; it just so happened that everyone forgot about 'em by the time Herbert wrote Dune.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also the whole Dune series is really a commentary on the Foundation Trilogy.

Herbert read Asimov and thought his psychohistorians couldn't be trusted so he turned them around, made them the villains (Bene Gesserit) and turned the Mule (Paul) into the hero.

At least that's my theory but I didn't come up with it.

I think in one his essays (hard to find) Herbert basically explained that was his approach to science fiction. Find a popular theme and then flip it. He didn't mention Asimov as far I know though, but I'm almost certain that's what he did.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Considering how the footnotes in the books claim that Atreides family descend from Atreus or Agamemnon, earth is either a half-forgotten legend or the books is a fantasy universe where real earth history doesnt apply.

I personally think earth could be anything and they forgot which planet it is over millenia.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I listened to the first Dune book and was pretty underwhelmed. Does it get better with the context of the next 2 or should I just jump ship?

I find it hard to believe that the human race just forgot to keep track of it's origin planet/system in a universe where C is still a limit.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Another old trope used in the Foundatiom series.

Edi: was talking about a forgotten earth. If you didnt like the first Dune, they only get less accesible from there.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

I think in the dune encyclopedia, which is semi-canonical at least, earth was rendered uninhabitable and then set aside as a nature reserve before they lost track of it. That seems like an odd thing to happen, but the fremen traveled so long they forgot where they came from, so its possible I guess. It seemed to me like it was a possible hook for the final book that never came, along with all the other dangling loose ends.
Villenueve is a haaaack and the new dune is gonna suck. I went to a big screen showing of lynchs dune a few months ago and the audience was just so into it. I overheard this girl say while walking out that it was the first movie she really fell in love with. The reboots gonna come out and everyone will forget about it before it even leaves theaters.
Post Chapterhouse I do wonder what Herbert would have done with the mysterious threat pushing the supposedly badass honored matres back into inner space. Was it gonna be aliens? Who are marty and beth (?) and their weird flux net thing? Can I gently caress my cat chair after I'm done sitting in it? There's so much loving in these books why stop at living furniture.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I like all of Frank’s books so very much which is kinda weird since I usually just like trashy Gibson knockoffs as far as sci fi goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FatCow posted:

I listened to the first Dune book and was pretty underwhelmed. Does it get better with the context of the next 2 or should I just jump ship?

I find it hard to believe that the human race just forgot to keep track of it's origin planet/system in a universe where C is still a limit.

You're an idiot