Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Joe Chill posted:

Herbert wasn't a libertarian in the modern definition. He talked about grass roots democracy in a number of interviews he did, talking about how all citizens should be involved in poltical decisions.

I mean, good sci-fi really should be capable of being about conditions so different from ours that applying our political precepts doesn't work, and so that the way politics works in the world might not even really reflect what the author thinks would work today. This only works if the author isn't a hack trying to Make A Point of course. I'll even take a stand that it's reductionist to even call Heinlein a libertarian because he was genuine weirdo whose opinions are clearly more nuanced than that (even if they're often wrong and bad and REALLY weird).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

eSports Chaebol posted:

I mean, good sci-fi really should be capable of being about conditions so different from ours that applying our political precepts doesn't work, and so that the way politics works in the world might not even really reflect what the author thinks would work today. This only works if the author isn't a hack trying to Make A Point of course. I'll even take a stand that it's reductionist to even call Heinlein a libertarian because he was genuine weirdo whose opinions are clearly more nuanced than that (even if they're often wrong and bad and REALLY weird).
I think it's fair to refer to Heinlein as a libertarian because fuckin libertarians quote him like he's writing Two Corinthians. Not necessarily Heinlein's fault, but I doubt the people who put Revelations in the canonical Bible knew how it would be read 1,500+ years hence.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Nessus posted:

I think it's fair to refer to Heinlein as a libertarian because fuckin libertarians quote him like he's writing Two Corinthians. Not necessarily Heinlein's fault, but I doubt the people who put Revelations in the canonical Bible knew how it would be read 1,500+ years hence.

Give it 1500 years, Twilight and Ready Player one will be considered sacred texts,

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

Heinlein heavily pushes and exhaustively explains UBI in at least one book

Maybe they can quote that part

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
I'm confused as to how much Heinlein thought of writing as an art vs a profession. I can't remember him ever being especially deep, unless you count his pulp fetishism, in which I find similarity to Quentin Tarantino of all people.

When he does touch the real world, it is often about sexual morality, political righteousness, and economic realities. Of these, the only one that seems to have straight trajectory through his work is sexual morality, in which he freely embraces free, almost communal love. That his other ideas are so all-over the place in his work makes me think he was just inserting how he thought at the time, without Too much thought beyond mechanics. Which is why his work spands from 'We the Living' to 'Starship Troopers' to 'and I will Fear No Evil' to 'Stranger in a Strange Land'

He couldn't even write military fiction, because he was in the military and knew how it worked. Which ment he couldn't just churn out whatever happen to be in his brain. He would have to make the scenario actually work

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Heinlein heavily pushes and exhaustively explains UBI in at least one book

Maybe they can quote that part
My memory is that they like the part about how the gun is good (rarely do they include Zardoz's counterbalance) and about how you should not economically specialize and should, instead, buy gold and/or Bitcoin.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Heinlein was anti-nazi but had that particularly American frontier philosophy that nobody is going to look after me but me, charity and community is the bedrock of social fabric, but the problem is that it doesn't really scale up, and the frontier can't expand forever on earth.

I can grok some of his philosophy, I don't think he was evil, I am fine with kids reading his books as long as they are able to think critically.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I don't think UBI is necessarily incompatible with Libertarianism if Libertarianism is understood as a specifically American brand of incredibly ignorant Neoliberalism. Both Milton Friedman and Friedrich Hayek were for it in some form, they realized that the "free to choose" part of their philosophy made no sense without it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The difference is probably that too many libertarians don't put much thought to things, they just want freedoms for themselves?

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

Give it 1500 years, Twilight and Ready Player one will be considered sacred texts,

Considered? :confused:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The way I've heard with Heinlein is that across his work and writings you can find him pushing almost any philosophy and political stance.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The way I've heard with Heinlein is that across his work and writings you can find him pushing almost any philosophy and political stance.

Stranger in a Strange Land: Everyone should be loving everyone else as much as they can to save the world

Starships Troopers: If you don't serve your country you don't get to have a say in what it does

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Inverted Icon posted:

Wellll... from the atreides manifesto, we get the idea that rather than predicting the future, the prescient actually creates that future. That's why they say muad'dib locked us into the genocide, and the tyrant brought us out of it. Leto was the stronger psychic. That's why odrade refuses to look at 'the hunter with the axe' lest she lock the BG into destruction.

That's also why Taraza's plan involved glassing arrakis, with all the remaining worms. Alas, by that time the tlelax solution was being moved off the table, and they had to perserve one of the devils

As far as I can derive neither are necessarily true, but prescience and other memory seems to completely fall apart with Leto II. It's been a bit since I read anything but Dune and the encyclopedia (which forever owns, I had an old hardback copy but I finished the electronic one a couple days ago) but Leto seems to call on memories he shouldn't have of his parents when speaking to some folks and is mentioned to have looked at various paths of failure on his route to success. Duncan-the-last seems to have the same noosphere thing as well.

Additionally the encyclopedia had a discussion of basically rules lawyering prescience, which is hilarious and might explain part of it. You don't look at the action ITSELF because something might go awry, you look further ahead at yourself looking back at success. Like, you look at now+10 years to see what you did to succeed at now+5 years. That somehow locks in a path but also doesn't? It's magic after all, I dunno.

Of course that doesn't work when you consider the rest of the melange usage from mere mortals using it to make them big brained to solve problems. The encyclopedia is forever still a better piece of work than juniors, though. Love the in-universe academic sniping.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nessus posted:

I think there are still a lot of "granola conservatives" around, they just only really live in some parts of the West Coast (where their numbers may be considerable) and are probably getting gradually subsumed by the mass-marketing of conservative ideology.

Which makes sense since thats where Herbert is from.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

His talent was writing somewhat convincing stances that he didn't necessarily hold.

Despite coming from the military, he wasn't - as some "critics" have painted him - especially a fan of facism or rule by military law in general.
Case in point, Starship Troopers gets held up as an ode to some sort of utopia Heinlein wanted, but the very next book he wrote as the diametrical opposite to it was Stranger In A Strange Land, and that had hippies wanting to treat him as some sort of guru, until he had to threaten them to leave his private property while openly carrying his gun.

He even goes so far as to parody the critique of his supposed arthor-insert character in The Number Of The Beast where all of the villains names are either scrambled versions of his own name or some of the pseudonyms he used over the years - and the book famously ends with a scene where the only thing that critics have to do to save themselves from eternal entrapment is to write a honest review.

I've been a fan of his works since I read his juveniles as a kid, and I even like the later work despite the fact that it is obviously designed to push as many buttons as his old-horny-man brain could come up with.
I've never once been sure about his political leanings, except that he seems to appreciate democracy and freedom with societal responsibility.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

eSports Chaebol posted:

I mean, good sci-fi really should be capable of being about conditions so different from ours that applying our political precepts doesn't work, and so that the way politics works in the world might not even really reflect what the author thinks would work today. This only works if the author isn't a hack trying to Make A Point of course.

I couldn't disagree more. Ursula K. Le Guin, Aldous Huxley, George Orwell, and even Frank Herbert himself all did this. To me, good sci-fi uses the conceit of a given story to say something meaningful about modern life. Without trying to make A Point, all that's left is genre tripe, written by morons like KJA

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This Moorcock article is worth reading: https://libcom.org/library/starship-stormtroopers-michael-moorcock

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Mooktastical posted:

I couldn't disagree more. Ursula K. Le Guin, Aldous Huxley, George Orwell, and even Frank Herbert himself all did this. To me, good sci-fi uses the conceit of a given story to say something meaningful about modern life. Without trying to make A Point, all that's left is genre tripe, written by morons like KJA

I should've been more clear: I meant making a point simply by constructing a world such that the author's opinion must be true. You know, like the worst sci-fi novel of all time (so bad we forget that it is sci-fi): Atlas Shrugged

e: also you can say something meaningful about non-temporal life, like the best (only?) Catholic sci-fi, A Canticle for Leibowitz

eSports Chaebol fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 3, 2020

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

eSports Chaebol posted:

e: also you can say something meaningful about non-temporal life, like the best (only?) Catholic sci-fi, A Canticle for Leibowitz

The Sparrow is Catholic Sci-Fi, and also really, really good.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 3, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

The bandit hero -- the underdog rebel -- so frequently becomes the political tyrant; and we are perpetually astonished! Such figures appeal to our infantile selves -- what is harmful about them in real life is that they are usually immature, without self-discipline, frequently surviving on their 'charm'. Fiction lets them stay, like Zorro or Robin Hood, perpetually charming. In reality they become petulant, childish, relying on a mixture of threats and self-pitying pleading, like any baby. These are too often the revolutionary figures on whom we pin our hopes, to whom we sometimes commit our lives and whom we sometimes try to be; because we fail to distinguish fact from fiction. In reality it is too often the small, fanatical men with the faces and stance of neurotic clerks who come to power while the charismatic heroes, if they are lucky, die gloriously, leaving us to discover that while we have been following them, imitating them, a new Tsar has manipulated himself into the position of power and Terror has returned with a vengeance while we have been using all our energies living a romantic lie. Heroes betray us. By having them, in real life, we betray ourselves. The heroes of Heinlein and Ayn Rand are forever competent, forever right: they are oracles and protectors, magic parents (so long as we obey their rules). They are prepared to accept the responsibilities we would rather not bear. They are 'leaders'. Traditional sf is hero fiction on a huge scale, but it is only when it poses as a fiction of ideas that it becomes completely pernicious. At its most spectacular it gives us Charlie Manson and Scientology (invented by the sf writer Ron Hubbard and an authoritarian system to rival the Pope's). To enjoy it is one thing. To claim it as 'radical' is quite another. It is rather unimaginative; it is usually badly written; its characters are ciphers; its propaganda is simple-minded and conservative -- good old-fashioned opium which might be specifically designed for dealing with the potential revolutionary.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
You know, the funny thing about Heinlein, is that the whole facism thing isn't even the elephant in the room

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inverted Icon posted:

You know, the funny thing about Heinlein, is that the whole facism thing isn't even the elephant in the room

Is it the incest?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Is it the time travelling incest?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Is it incest if it is a gender-swapped clone of yourself?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thirstiest SF writer is Philip José Farmer, right? Didn't read much of his stuff, but all of it seemed to involve erotic adventures of some kind, including one where an alien insect thing disguises itself as a sexy human woman to harvest his seed (?). I'm making it sound worse than it is, it's actually pretty benevolent, I should check out more of his books

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Phlegmish posted:

Thirstiest SF writer is Philip José Farmer, right? Didn't read much of his stuff, but all of it seemed to involve erotic adventures of some kind, including one where an alien insect thing disguises itself as a sexy human woman to harvest his seed (?). I'm making it sound worse than it is, it's actually pretty benevolent, I should check out more of his books

Be sure to check out "A Feast Unknown"!

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I heard that Denis spent a year designing the sandworms. I know I can't be the only one who will be keeping an eye out for these giant desert beauties. Something about how smoothly they glide through the slippery sand and envelop entire crawlers is extremely erotic.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I heard that Denis spent a year designing the sandworms. I know I can't be the only one who will be keeping an eye out for these giant desert beauties. Something about how smoothly they glide through the slippery sand and envelop entire crawlers is extremely erotic.
Please do not be horny about Shai-Hulud, may his passing cleanse the world

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pentyne posted:

Stranger in a Strange Land: Everyone should be loving everyone else as much as they can to save the world

Starships Troopers: If you don't serve your country you don't get to have a say in what it does

That's about right, his most consistent message was 'it's okay to gently caress whoever turns you on'. That's a good summary of Starship Troopers, but let's not forget The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress where the Loonies claim association with everyone on Earth's revolutionary holiday and end up with a tricameral legislature where the third house exists solely to review and repeal legislation passed by the other two.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Anne Frank Funk posted:

has anyone ever smelled a spice burst what do you think it would smell like haha

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mllaneza posted:

That's about right, his most consistent message was 'it's okay to gently caress whoever turns you on'. That's a good summary of Starship Troopers, but let's not forget The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress where the Loonies claim association with everyone on Earth's revolutionary holiday and end up with a tricameral legislature where the third house exists solely to review and repeal legislation passed by the other two.
There's some kind of libertarian obsession with the idea of the promethean man being held back by old lingering laws on things like cow pasturage or whatever. Which, I mean, I guess; some kind of review board on old-rear end regulations makes sense. But good lord the whining about it.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
I was trying to find Duncan's quote about his sword training and enemies being leaves in the path of whatever the gently caress who cares, but ended up striking the mother lode of Duncan avatar material on the wiki:

Don't ever speak to me or my hosed up tiny Gurney-man ever again!

So handsome.

Moebius really capture Duncan's canon passions: falconry, proper welding eye protection and silk negligee wearing.

Smash hit with the ladies for the last 50 centuries.

A true Ginaz Swordmaster of the Tenth Level.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Bubblyblubber posted:

Muammar Dunkkafi

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bubblyblubber posted:

So handsome.

I don't remember him being Cardassian!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I appreciate that in Heretics the Tleiaxu are all like "ha ha ha after pretending to be complete idiots for millenia it is time for us to make our super play, having kept our true faith forever secret" only to be like, immediately made the second they get in the room with a Reverend Mother for five minutes.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nessus posted:

Please do not be horny about Shai-Hulud, may his passing cleanse the world
Old Man Frank would surely approve, though.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Bubblyblubber posted:

I was trying to find Duncan's quote about his sword training and enemies being leaves in the path of whatever the gently caress who cares, but ended up striking the mother lode of Duncan avatar material on the wiki:

Don't ever speak to me or my hosed up tiny Gurney-man ever again!

So handsome.

Moebius really capture Duncan's canon passions: falconry, proper welding eye protection and silk negligee wearing.

A true Ginaz Swordmaster of the Tenth Level.

The last pic is from the excellent ccg, and is the only one that has the only physical trait we know about Duncan, his black, wooly hair. Karakul is a type of wool from Afghanistan, and a hat made of said wool.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

I dont know posted:

The Sparrow is Catholic Sci-Fi, and also really, really good.

It's sequel isn't as good though, although it's still well-written, because apparently it bothered the author too much that the fundamental question of the first book (how does faith deal with the experience of sickening brutality) was left as a question, so the second book has to go back and show how all the brutality actually served a good end. It undermines how good the original is, because almost nobody actually gets that resolution to their experiences.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

davidspackage posted:

has anyone ever smelled a spice burst what do you think it would smell like haha

Cinnamon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

davidspackage posted:

The crysknife I wear around my neck contains an essence that gets recharged when I "ride a worm" with a bro who also has a crysknife. It gives me confidence in the erg, sietch, spice orgy, etc. Nobody knows it's a special crysknife but me and my bros. I have seen it glow white while riding with a bud thats how I know this is real. You can come over for as long as you want but I need a solido of you preferably wearing a crysknife before I waste my time.