Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The real hardcore Dune fans will go apeshit if that happens, but they want a literal word-for-word adaptation of the book onto the screen, and that's just impractical. These are different forms.

Lol Im the biggest Dune nerd there is and my ideal film version would be a 21st C alt history take on the Saudi/Yemen war featuring psychics and space cannons.

The book is a pretty great thing to read on form alone. The dialogue is purposely obscure, with the characters skipping a few steps in the logic of any convo, showing rather than telling how machivallian and intelligent they were. Pound for for pound its the most unforgiving and least accesible sci fi book ever written that also manages to incredibly exciting and hair raising. And it is just so loving weird.

Its written by a man that looked at a sand dune and explicated a philosophical scheme that is thought provoking regardless of where you stand ideologically, and that's an impressive feat. Its also the only sci fi book that has politics deep and introspective enough to be taught in poli sci classes, including one I attended.

Lastly, as the series continued the thin veneer if plot finally fell away. By chapterhouse there would be like one line of dialogue and ten pages of philosophical digression, and that is extremely my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Another old trope used in the Foundatiom series.

Edi: was talking about a forgotten earth. If you didnt like the first Dune, they only get less accesible from there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Vileneuve is competent and technically skilled, but doesn’t have the mind of a visionary, so his version will probably suck, although he did fine adapting a Chiang novella and making a sequel to Blade Runner, another movie from a competent yet close minded director.
Lynch’s Dune just needs to be recut. Omit all explanations and voiceovers, add all the scenes Lynch had to cut due to duration concerns. Shuffle a few things around at the beginning. Blaze up. Enjoy.

What's funny is that having only seen the movie a few years ago, I'm not that much of a fan! It feels oddly airless, dumbed down version of something that might just be downright unfilmable.

The production design was top notch tho. Combining that with the vibrancy of the Children of Dune miniseries would be amazing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

paul_soccer10 posted:

dune miniseries was insanely bad

The Dune miniseries but not the Children one. James Mcavoy was insanely charasmatic and it had pretty suprising level of production leve and the like.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DebonaireD posted:

Competent and technically skilled but lacking any artistic vision is the very definition of a hack, last I checked. See also "workman-like" directing. These are not words you can attribute to David Lynch. Arrival was fine but it was like an episode of TNG stretched out over two hours. I kept waiting for any more ideas to show up in that movie but they just had a basic premise and stretched it way past the point of interest. That movie is kinda boring. The new blade runner, though... yeesh. I couldnt remember the last time I'd seen such an emotionally inert movie. The original seems vibrant and full of life and humor by comparison. The plot was corny, the pontificating speeches were corny, the super spooky jared leto character was laughable, and the last minute rebellion plot line was like something out of the sci fi channel.
That one scene in arrival where the alien shows up in her room in that dream/vision was kinda trippy and creepy so maybe there's a distant hope for an appropriately unsettling dune. But what's he gonna do, out-weird Lynch? Don't get your hopes up.

Dude watch enemy.

And 2049 was a triumph regarding trying to follow like the most influential sci fi movie of all time and getting almost universal approval for doing it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Super nondemocratic and eugenic-y though

Far weirder was the implication that most Sci Fi is fascist.

Or that leftists made uniformly utopian sci fi. I mean Vonnegut alone.

Heres a cool tidbit: Herbert started a multi decade career as a newspaperman before he hit 18. The dystopic setting of Dune can be seen as a reaction against the sci fi scene he navigated later which largely subsisted on wide eyed views of human nature that he probably had little patience for as a seasoned journalist.

Another interesting tidbit is that Dune grew out of an article about the battle against desertification in Oregon.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Really every faction in Dune hurts people for obscure ideological reasons, none moreso than the actual heroes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I mean, it is? A good amount at least. The guy who wrote Iron Dream wrote it as a critique of how in sf fascism is shown as good and celebrated, and most people don't recognize because the protagonist isn't literally hitler

Yeah the great thing about Dune and its ultimate thesis is that no matter how much of a good guy you might be, being at the head of an expansive civilization turns you into a monster.

And yes i'd like one of those gang tats. the witches one is hysterical.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Zeniel posted:

*Spits on thread*

still suit picks it up

"Thanks friend!"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Its a strain of libertatian environmentalism that doesnt really exist outside of a few isolated shacks in Oregon and Maine.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

basic hitler posted:

I would disagree only because I just can only infer from his dune books a vague cold-war era conservative strain of thinking that nobody born on or around 1989 would understand or recognize in the western world that i would hesitate to call libertarian

Still catching up but I'd argue that while Herbert reminds me of the earliest strains of conservatism, ala John "Mountain Baptism" Muir, Herbert also says stuff like this (pulled from God Emperor, his most political book):

quote:

“Police are inevitably corrupted. ... Police always observe that criminals prosper. It takes a pretty dull policeman to miss the fact that the position of authority is the most prosperous criminal position available.”

quote:

“Dangers lurk in all systems. Systems incorporate the unexamined beliefs of their creators. Adopt a system, accept its beliefs, and you help strengthen the resistance to change”

quote:

“Right from the first, the little people who formed the governments which promised to equalize the social burdens found themselves suddenly in the hands of bureaucratic aristocracies. Of course, all bureaucracies follow this pattern, but what a hypocrisy to find this even under a communized banner. Ahhh, well, if patterns teach me anything it’s that patterns are repeated.”

It's as libertarian as you can get, albeit a cold gimlet eye'd version of it that unlike its modern version which has a very dim view of individuals. Before the Wall fell, environmentalism was an issue important to both liberals and conservatives, here's the abstract to a paper showing how the lack of a Soviet Union polarized the right wing against environmental groups as the next boogey man: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0049089X1400132X?via%3Dihub

I agree about Herbert harkening back to a strain of politics that definitely is hard to find today though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I'm not trying to make a moral judgment of it, but it, like the politics of most good writers, is strongly opinionated, even if its not exactly my bag. I can see where he's coming from.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Dune Lynch is loving incredible and I hope that the new Dune movie 1) comes out and 2) takes a whole lot from Lynch

The director has already said he's gonna veer as much as possible from Lynch's version, which I can't agree with more.

Maybe it's b/c I only recently watched the movie after growing up with Dune, but while it does some things astoundedly well like production design and casting, I felt like it only had a passing resemblance to the political and thematically rich books. As a film adapted from a fast paced and exciting book, it also completely missed how thrilling things got, from the speed of events to how balls out adventure like the action scenes were.

Appreciate the weirdness and love Lynch's other work, but it's definitely not the definitive version of Dune.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Dune movie just came on on Showtime, watching it from the jump. Never watched it all the way through.

One minute in and the opening monologue by the Princess is already a mis-step.

But gently caress that Shaddam set, freaking gorgeous.

The Guild scene is a classic for a reason, so imaginative.

So many voiceovers. I don't know if there is a way to translate Dune probably without them, but it definitely hurts this movie immensely.

The weirding modifications Lynch did to the book is understandable (I mean the books describe them basically as Dragonball moves IIRC) but good god is it loving goofy.

I should prob wrap this up b/c who the gently caress wants to read this, but the movie truly suffers from having to deliver hundreds of pages of dense machinations in a 2 and half hour movie. The dialogue is mechanical, almost completely exposition as a necessity to deliver the information needed to paint a story that really needs much more time to be delivered naturally and visually well. The classic hero's story, which is the most effective hook in Dune which Herbert uses to slip his commentary behind it, is sidelined by Lynch's dream like handling of narrative and plot. An interesting miss altogether.

And lol the Fremen are totally hosed here.

haha Lynch makes an appearance in the movie as a spice harvestor, that's hilarious.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 19, 2018

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Testikles posted:

I actually hate the human embryo thing. It never made sense to me how a person would turn into that and at that scale. I get deformities and mutations but that was a bit much.

There's a Guild navigator in the second book that it reminds me of though. It was called a third stage Navigator I think? And it alludes to what happens to Leto II later.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Just wait until it really starts about a third of the way in.

I find that it ramps up significantly with Paul and Jessica in the desert encounter

I think in today's landscape regarding fantasy books, Dune would have been split up into three books to maximize profits and readership.

e:

JohnnySavs posted:

Is there a decent graphic novel or even manga Dune out there or is Metabarons the closest I can get?

I like Prophet, and its similar on how hosed things can get in 10000 years.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Turmoil posted:

It was Children of Dune that I was referring to.

I understand why they'd make the twins older, but things like Leto II just having a splatter of black latex on him and walking around in just pants seemed weird.
Not to mention his running effect that looked like it was from The Flash TV series from 1990.

Just watch it. From my hazy memory it was a great time filled with performances from great actors. I think the costuming and production design was on point too.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yandat posted:

muad’dab

Hello muad'ah, hello paddah

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

jit bull transpile posted:

Jessica Lange is amazing but Asylum is the worst season of ahs by far.

lol its the only season worth watching

e: in more dune-y chat, been reading excerpts of this book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9465027-dune-and-philosophy

some real good stuff to be found there.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 2, 2018

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Triple H as one of the sandworms

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Iceatollah posted:

Does anyone else think that the Machine Thinking of Dune was partially inspired by Marx's theory of Commodity Fetishism? Specifically, the reification of a social relationship between people into a material relationship between things. If there is a dominant trend in the sorts of thinking that are rejected by the Jihad, it appears to be the idea of treating people as things occupying a specialized purpose, rather than as people that can act outside of the reified boxes that they are placed in by machine thinking, which seems to have some similarities to Marx's understanding.

Lines up with Frank's philosophy to a T. Look up his thoughts on capitalism, his whole thing was uncommodification, and also the environment.

the weirdest conservative ever.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

We've gone over this, he's a conservative environmentalist liberal every-man elitist

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Slow and The Irregular

2High2Curious

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Temaukel posted:

I found it, here:

coughelonmuskcultcough

excited about Piter the actor rocks, so slimy, weird, and clever

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiimo posted:

I'm curious to see how they handle all the internal monologue and the abstract concepts like the Golden Path. Do they just make it a cool action movie or do they risk losing an audience with the whole "the water of life connected my mentat training to my bene gesserit training and now my mind is a super computer that can see all possible paths thereby perceiving the future and all roads end in the extinction of all life thanks to those bene tleilax fucks creating a super self-aware hunter seeker that will destroy all organic life so now I need either me or my son to become a tyrant for 3500 years just to guide humanity in a 3 millennia renaissance festival just to make sure that doesn't happen also sandtrout are cool watch my kid turn into a gigantic worm, take that dennis rodman, whom no one remembers but me" because I'm not sure how that will translate on screen.

If it's anything like his other stuff it's gonna be a lotta long takes of Paul looking at a beautiful desert scene, as his mother turns into a spider behind him

madeintaipei posted:

Can we vote people in as extras?

Pretend to do your job in the year 13,000.

I got a buddy who would make a badass chairdog deliverer.

currently folding space from my cubicle to the office's water cooler

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What's my thesis title? Oh a little something called Reflectiosn: That one time I did mushrooms in my dorm plus a thesaurus.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There were some good actors in the TV Show, but jesus christ their production and costumes are pathetic compared to Lynch's

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I remember digging the philosophical digressions in the last two books, it was extremely my poo poo.

And about the TV shows, they get extremely good with Children of Dune. James MacAvoy inexplicably stars in it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Kyle MacLachlan's face but it's half skeletal and underneath it you write "SKULL WAHAD"

e: This Dreamer never woke up

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 5, 2019

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bristle Pad of Dune

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

this page is the funniest one on these.forums

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

*jodorowsky voice* what is the goal of the life? It's to create yourself a soul. For me, movies are an art, more than an industry. And it’s the search of the human soul, as painting, as literature, as poetry. movies are dat for me

*also jodorowsky* to gently caress and poo poo

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's just a pun, though - like, that's pretty much the only reason it's there.

Speaking of the color of spice, I went looking because I thought the spice when fresh from a blow was described as purple, but I couldn't find the passage. Instead, I found the passage that mentions the sandtrout part of the whole lifecycle, and it specifically mentions carbon dioxide being produced by them - so I guess sandtrout live off the hydrogen of the water rather than the oxygen, as I'd assumed.
This also might mean that it's probably both the sandworms and the sand plankton that is responsible for changing the carbon dioxide into oxygen as both the original novel and GEoD mentions the oxygen producing part of sandworms.
Does this mean sandworms are more plant-based until Leto II leaves his pearls of awareness in them and they suddenly become more animal-like?

this is machine thinking

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

so we can agree that fremen are basically islamic cowboy samurai

its cool the casting for the movie seems to be going for mostly an African persuasion thing.

gonna be weird to have the white kid dominating them tho.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Horsebanger posted:

:five:

dune gang tags when

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shaddak posted:

What do you get when you guzzle down spice?
Naming yourself after the jumping mice.
You know the ultimate meaning of life.
You must make jihad right now!

I get gom jabbared but i keep my hand in again
you're never gonna get me struck down

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it's implied they know where Earth is but it's not really considered too important, basically like people treat Africa. Also it's probably ecologically turbofucked. (though they could possibly fix that)

It's also implied Leto II enforces accurate history books? Not sure how publicly available those are made, though he does show active displeasure against deliberately inaccurate historians. His whole regime seems implied to be a deliberately smothering yet fragile tyranny that's designed to collapse without him at the centre.

Always thought it was hilarious about how obviously real peevish Frank was about lovely historians, taking aside a few paragraphs to talk about defenestrating historians who suck at their jobs or whatever.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm the third guy in the line of dudes in robes and heart plugs, wondering if I could take the clothes hoem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mentat training for bougie families, leading to high paid mentat jobs.

How bout the people who cant afford it.

Mentats For All!