Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm as huge a fan of the original series as most of the rest of everyone posting in this thread seems to be, but I have one question.
Why is Leto II called that, when Pauls first son - the one killed in a Sardukar raid, was named Leto, would presumably also be Leto II as Pauls father was Leto?
This has legitimately kept me up some nights (because I had nothing else to worry about back then, and insomnia is a bitch - now I have plenty other things to worry about).

basic hitler posted:

i hate the sci fi series, i'm not a good judge there.

i know the dune series tries to be faithful to adapting the book. i'm not sure about children
The CGI has aged so poorly, I'd much rather watch something like the fanedits of the Lynch movie.
Brian Eno did some great loving music for the series, though.

Speaking of fanedits, I rather like the alternative edition redux, but I might be the only one who likes it better than Lynchs movie.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Also, Heretics of Dune has by far the device in science fiction that I would fear the most: The T-Probe.
Imagine a device that completely shuts down your entire sensory organ leaving you floating in some void-space, as it individually traces every nerve and muscle in your entire body to create a digital framework from which it can manipulate your body with any sensation from pure pleasure to pure pain in order to get any thing out of you. All without leaving any marks on you, and the only way to even have a chance of not being its utter pawn is to make sure you're loaded to the gills with a drug or to be the product of a millennia-long breeding program.
Oh, and even if you are loaded up with shere, that doesn't prevent the device from working - if you've got shere in you, it just has to do a lot more guessing, which likely involves even more pleasure and pain.

That poo poo is loving terrifying. :stare:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

Paul's first son never lived to inherit a title, so he doesn't get a regnal number.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regnal_number
Oh poo poo, I didn't know they were called this or that they had rules - but his explains everything very neatly, so thanks!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

basic hitler posted:

heretics and chapterhouse have some of the coolest worldbuilding it's just a shame everything is about imprinting on teenagers and magic mind control pussies
I get why they're problematic and I agree, but I've somehow managed to never read those parts or at least gloss over them such that I never remember them, and thereby end up recommending them.

Chapterhouse of Dune is the best loving cliffhanger of all time, and we'll be dangling forever because no sequels or prequels were ever written.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So, I just started listening to the audiobook again for what's probably the 50th time by now? Except this time I've managed to get my hands on the full-cast audiobook, and it's something else entirely (I'm used to the various versions Scott Brick has read over the years).

Anyway, I noticed two things that I'm not sure I'd picked up on before: Paul is trained by Jessica in the Bene Gesserit ways from a very early age; this is implied by how detailed prana-bindu is (I believe somewhere it's hinted further that it's muscle and nerve training, with learning to move each muscle individually and with breath-training to activate certain (Pavlovian?) responses), along with the fact the's trained "in the minutiae of observation", as well as Mohiam remarking that she sees the signs all over him when admonishing Jessica to give him the full training.
Another thing I picked up on is the fact that Paul has been having what he calls "dreams that were predictions" for a long time, going so far as to say "I dreamed of her once", implying that it happened a long time ago.
So, even with very limited spice doses on Caladan, he was having prescient dreams long before he moved to Dune - just not waking ones (which is what, if I recall correctly, he starts having later).

Does this mean that the BG training and mentat training he's received as a child is what lets him predict things in dreams, since presumably the spice dose he gets on Caladan is no bigger than that anyone else (including his mother, only one or two stages removed from the Kwizats Haderach) of his caste gets?

Also, the faufreluches class system sounds rigid as gently caress, describing servants like serving wench, and a motto quoted in the Terminology Of The Imperium as: "A place for every man and every man in his place."

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 30, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, that's true - him being one step away from the Kwizats Haderach that BG bred for doesn't preclude him having most of the abilities, if not the ruthlessness that Leto II displays in going through with the Golden Path where Paul could not, because Paul was a true Atreides whereas the real Kwizats Haderach would've been the result of Atreides and Harkonnen traits.

Also, Paul had a short life, didn't he? He's made Emperor at like 18, and dies around 44, if I recall correctly the timelines I've seen.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

phasmid posted:

Yes, even though the intrigues of the books are often so steeped in coercion, torture and espionage, this was probably the most striking physical device the future folk invented. The idea of a computer that maps your brain down to nervous responses is terrifying and although the concept is older than Dune, Herbert explained in a brief passage how bad the thing was.

I imagine modern spies and counterintelligence are doing their best along such lines, since a machine like that could not just make you dance and sing on command, but also penetrate your inner mind and learn your thoughts as they occur.
Yeah, what I described is only what's horrendeous on the first few times you consider it; when you get to thinking about how it can read your thoughts and even get to predict them (I think this is hinted at in the book, but not explicitly, by the way the shere is described to block the actions of the T-probe), that's creeps me out no end, and while I'm not proud of it in any shape or form I've seen my share of creepy stuff on the internet.

basic hitler posted:

I thought sheer was so your mind couldnt be copied post-mortem or by facedancers?
So far as I remember what it blocks is the T-probes complete mapping, Bene Gesserit mind-meld (accessed by the water of life, if I recall) and copying by facedancers - but it's mentioned somewhere in either Heretics or Chapterhouse that the T-probe can still make very astute guesses, even if it can't access your thoughts completely.
And it seems like the only way MIles Teg escapes it is through rogue Atreides genes which would likely have meant his death had BG known about it - so any other character in the theoretical history of the universe (except maybe sandtrout-/sandworm-Leto II?) would succumb to the T-probe.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I apologize if this has been brought up before in the thread (I'm speed-reading through a bit at a time), but has anyone thought about how Leto IIs Royal Rascal is controlled by his thoughts and it's more or less said explicitly that others see this as some sort of blasphemy against the proscriptions that came out of the Butlerian Jihad?
The Royal Rascal is created by Ixians who it is claimed by the book are under increased surveilance by Leto II as a result of a project of theirs, but I wonder if this means that the Ixians are working on thinking machines, or something else? Is this the future averted by the Golden Path tha Siona sees? Presumably it's got little to do with Marty and Daniel (as a kid, I loved that one if the final "villains"/unknowns in the book share a first name with me)

Also, speaking of Ix, probably one of my most favorite exchanges in the entire book happens when Bronso of Ix makes fun of basically everyone for not knowing that the Ixians are called that because they settled on the 9th planet of their solar system.

Fuuuck, just thinking about the six books and the framing makes me appreciate it so much.
How they appear to be half-told by "present-day historians" from the same era as the books are putitively set in (for example, the aforementioned interview with Bronso of Ix), and how the other part is some apparent-farfuture historians looking back to puzzle together pieces (the references to the readings of the archives from Stolen Journals at Dar-Es-Balat) - all of this is just the most amazing world-building, which seems to hint but never quite explicitly states that it's Bene Gesserits looking back.

EDIT: Just finished reading the appendicies of the original book, and Appendix III in particular makes me wonder if that's a hint of someone knocking on the 4th wall.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 30, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've made it about half-way through the thread and I won't bother to try and bring up topics which I've seen already discussed to some sort of conclusion - but a quick search tells me that there's been no mention of Dune Genesis, the essay that Frank Herbert wrote on his reasons for writing the original trilogy in the first place?
So if you were to, you know, search for it you might find it and read it - it's only 3 1/2 pages long, and I'd really love to hear your thoughts on it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nessus posted:

I figure that the Butlerian prohibitions are more cultural flinch-gross-out than having a literal list of "you can have microprocessors but they can't go over 3.9 gHz per core and only five cores max or else it becomes a Thinking Machine." The royal rascal probably just picks up on Leto's brainwave or has a joystick lodged in one of his ring segments (so to speak) but it comes off as a horrifying automatic instead of a good honest suspensor globe or windtrap, which are all fine.

The big thing Leto was trying to horsewhip the Ixians into making was the no-ship, I believe; Leto knew it was necessary, and that it was possible, but presumably he neither knew nor cared about all the fine details, so he just created the pressures on the Ixians that would lead them to eventually create what he needed. If he had foreseen Lord Cyber-T-Rex coming in about 200 years he probably would have just told the Ixians, "You need to make this now. I'll pay for it."
Yeah, this actually makes a lot of sense. I don't what this LORD CYBERTREX 8000 you talk about is, there are no books beyond the 6 that Frank Herbert wrote.

EDIT: Wait, me replying to this post means I've read all of the thread, doesn't it? That was great ride, almost as great as one you could have on a Royal Rascal going down the cliffs from the palace to the Festival City. Definitely worth its gold rating.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 31, 2018

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Thread ain't over yet. At least a year of movie leaks and speculation ahead of us.
I'm so drat conflicted, because part of me wants a great Dune movie to be made, but with Those Who Must Not Be Named being involved, at least on paper, I fear that it'll turn out poo poo just by association.

Yet at the same time, I do think Denis Villeneuve is one of the few directors who has even a chance of pulling it off, and not give us something that is by all meassures a servicable David Lynch movie but not worth watching as a Dune movie unless you go to the trouble of finding the Alternative Edition Redux that Spicediver made, after having basically taught himself movie editing making two other attemps and which may have started his career as an editor (at least according to one rumor I've heard).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Communist Walrus posted:

I can almost guarantee you the extent of @duneauthor's involvement is going to be a couple set visits, an intern who'll politely listen to his dumbdick ideas when he calls and then do nothing with them, and maybe a taped interview for the DVD extras that'll ultimately be reduced to the video equivalent of a pull quote.
I loving well hope so.
I refuse to call him that.

priznat posted:

Yeah Villeneuve kept Ridley “Aliens Covenant” Scott the gently caress away from BR2049 so it is safe from hack spawns.
That's at least a comforting sign that he'll do it right.
We'll see.

Speaking of casting suggesting as the thread has sometimes, I had the idea that Morgan Freeman as Thufir Hawat might be an excellent choice - Hawat is mentioned to have a seamed old face, and even the word storm-leathered is used. Yet for all that, he's also described as someone so imposing that even the emperor fears him, and Morgan Freeman fits the bill to a tee in my mind.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

priznat posted:

Isn’t Freeman now PNG for being a sexpest? I can never keep up anymore.
Oh poo poo, is he? Welp, so much for that idea.

The reason I thought of Morgan Freeman is based on the first description of Thufir Hawat that we get: "Hawat's eyes were two
pools of alertness in a dark and deeply seamed face." Perhaps even more fit for the role would be someone like William Todd (who's had one hell of a hard life). The eyes standing out as the first thing you notice fits William Todd to a tee, but I don't know if he can act.

Shaddak posted:

Speaking of leather faces, Lance Henriksen might work for that.
Hmm, it's possible - it's not who I have in my minds eye, but that's not to say that it's wrong. Frank Herbert was fantastically verbose about a lot of descriptive stuff, but skin color isn't really something I recall being very present.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, James Earl Jones!

Look at this image and tell me that he couldn't do "Those sounds could be immitated"! I'm clearly biased because of the audiobooks here, but the way Scott Brick says that very phrase in the audiobooks sounds not too dissimilar to some of the many voices James Earl Jones has done over the years.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 1, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Are you sure he wouldn't be a better Wizard of GoreLiet Kynes?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 2, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

She's very good in The Expanse, so assuming she's got the time she'd be a great pick!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BONGHITZ posted:

Genderswapped dune
:hmmyes:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Testikles posted:

Diana Idaho catches two guys plowing each other, much to her disgust.
Since it's genderswapped, shouldn't it also be welcoming of this and Diana Idaho would instead begin writing slashfiction about her favorite couple of soldiers?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Someone send this threads last few pages to Denis Villenueve.
Also, while you're at it, send him the artwork that Frank Herbert said was made by someone who'd basically been to Arrakis.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

exmachina posted:

Speaking of moribund adaptions of classic sci-fi, has anyone seen an obituary for The Moon is a Harsh Mistress movie yet? Last I heard it was called Uprising and Bryan Singer was linked, but that was a few years ago.

I actually had high hopes: seemed like a fairly easy story to adapt, and marketable too since it is basically The American Revolution IIIINN SPAAAAAACE

Only Heinlein thing I knew had been adopted was --All You Zombies-- which got called Predestination and was a pretty okay version of the book..
Considering the last news from the movie was in 2015 and there hasn't been ANY updates since, it's probably been canned - more as the pitty.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I have a librarian to thank for getting me to read Dune; it changed the way I saw sci-fi because it made me see how different Dune was compared to the Heinlein juveniles that'd got me started reading sci-fi based on the recommendations of the same librarian a few years earlier.
Mind you, it's not as not as if I understood all of the book at the age of 10 when I first read it, but that just meant that I got to discover new things when I re-read it a few times over the next half-a-decade to a decade as I got older. The whole series is still something I'll pick up and re-read from time to time - sometimes reading books 1 through 3, other times just book 4 alone, or books 5 and 6 together. Once in a rare while I even sit down and read the whole hexalogy, and no matter how I read it, it's always a treat.

If I had to make a complete stab in the dark of a guess as to how Frank Herbert would have ended it, I think the threat that the Honored Matres fled from would very likely have turned out to be non-Bene Thleilax-controlled facedancers and either the awakened Duncan Idaho and Sheeana, or their child, would have been involved in some sort of battle against them with Scytale trying to gain control over the facedancers through the cells of both "perfect facedancers" (as they're described) as well as the cells from long-dead characters stored in the nullentropy capsule.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

a kitten posted:

Did i get this link from this thread at some point? I don't think so, but apologies if so.

Herbert filed the serial numbers off a whole ton of cool stuff to make Dune. Including a 1960 book called The Sabres of Paradise recounting a mid-19th century Islamic holy war against Russian imperialism in the Caucasus.

There's a whole bunch more here, including some more names and setting influences
https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-secret-history-of-dune/#!
If you've read any of his previous books, nothing in Dune is unique or surprising - in his previous books he's used at least one of the things he'd later use in Dune; everything from thinking machines over Bene Gesserit to the "heroes are bad"-thing he's got going - the only new thing that is new to Dune is the dry-earth ecology theme, which has a lot to do with him visiting a dry-earth ecology experiment a few years earlier, if I recall correctly.

Frank Herbert wrote what he knew, and by Dune he'd refined it to such a degree that Dune became what it is.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Welp, that explains a lot.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Clipperton posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1090315507671203840

oscar isaac in talks to play Leto I

would be a better duncan idaho imo
I sort of like that Oscar Isaac and Timothee Chalamet share facial features, such that they look vaguely related - not that that should be a deciding factor for casting, but it's a nice addition.
It could probably be done in make-up and such, but it doesn't hurt that they don't have to do it that way.

Looking more at the pictures in that tweet, it also looks like Timothee Chalamet has fuller lips than Oscar Isaac, I think? Fits well with how the characters are described in the books.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 29, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shaddak posted:

Meatbrick Punch-hard
Ah yes, Beast Rabbans nickname in school.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Temaukel posted:

"Idaho’s dark round face turned toward Paul, the cave-sitter eyes giving no hint of recognition, but Paul recognized the mask of serenity over excitement."
Thufir Hawat is also described as having a dark and seamed face.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Temaukel posted:

Morgan Freeman for Hawat.
I thought Morgan Freeman was persona non grata? Last time I mentioned it in the thread, I thought of James Earl Jones.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The more I see or hear politics discussed, the more I become a proponent of dropping labels and talking about policies in detail instead, since it seems like the labels have undergone so much change in the past, and are still undergoing so much change now, that nobody really knows what they mean.

The term conservative implied different things back then than it does now. Hopefully this doesn't come off as too dickish, but I don't think you're really grasping the context of the terminology you're employing, especially in relation to political ideologies. I say this as someone born and raised in Oregon.

Anyways, if you want a libertarian-leaning sci-fi writer, Heinlein's got you covered, but even he's divorced from the meaning/context of the term's usage in contemporary discussion/practice.
The above discussion and especially the last post, the one I quoted, reminds me of one of my favorite past-times: watching people argue over Heinleins ideologies based on his writing, when his writing demonstrate just about every single ideology you can reasonably find, including him making fun of people who try to argue his ideology based on his books.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I mean, fair enough, I'm not saying Heinlein wasn't complex and ever fluid in his analyses and ideas, but when you write one of the most prominent tales of libertarian revolution of all time, that makes you slightly more libertarian than a dude who studies whether grass can grow in sand.
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress ends with "But Prof underrated yammerheads. They never adopted any of his ideas.", though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

Looks like someone's on the name-chain
Wait, have I now been involved in some sort of nefarious scheme where I get to pet my cat and laugh evily?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Temaukel posted:

what is filmbase supposed to be? future-paper? e-ink readers? holographic poo poo?
I suppose every single time I've read it, I've taken it that it meant propaganda film.

For being a science fiction book, Dune is almost completely absent of technology that isn't distinguishable from magic - yet, I don't for a second buy the argument that Dune is fantasy.
If anything, it's converse coalary of how Star Wars being Le Morte d'Arthur set in space - although I may need a bit more time to formulate it into words.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alright, so I think I've managed to remember the logic I once came up with for why Dune is science fiction: Dune is the exploration of a field of science (ecology) set in a fictional world, and what pressures that would force upon a people as seen through the lens of a set of characters.
Of course, it's also many other things including Herbert railing against demagogues.

Another answer, of course, could be that Dune is science fiction and fantasy as it "can be in many places at once".

Temaukel posted:

are filmbooks made out of filmbase? those sound like e-readers.
Isn't a filmbook described as using shigawire as a sort of rope memory? So maybe a sort of e-reader but with the aforementioned shigawire memory.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 6, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

people including me posted:

:words: about filmbook and filmbase
"The globe sat on a freeform stand at one wall of a windowless room whose other walls presented a patchwork of multicolored scrolls, filmbooks, tapes and reels" So if they're something you hang on walls, maybe they're not e-readers? Later on, "However, I've arranged for you to have a filmbook viewer and several lessons during the crossing to Arrakis." So maybe the latter is a like a microform viewer and filmbook and filmbase is one two of the kinds of media used in it and other display devices?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hell, put that way, Dune is MORE science fiction than most things we've come to call 'science fiction'.

Might be also summed up a lot by being a take on John Carter of Mars and Lensman if they obeyed real physical laws, were populated by grown-ups, and influenced by non-Western societies.
This is off-topic and I know Lensman is pulpy as hell, but I have a huge soft spot for that series.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 6, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a point where extrapolations of long-obsolete technology in sci-fi settings become downright charming, and Dune is a setting where it even makes sense. Picturing a lot of baroque-style technology that has to be operated by hand. Quite possibly as a result a lot of Dune tech is impressively efficient, like stillsuits being powered by pumps in the feet that use the wearer's own movement.
In a similar way, I always felt that the descriptions of the Caladian castle to be very evocative of a world in which architecture plays a big part, despite the fact that Duke Leto describes Caladans major export as a poor sort of rice - and especially with Harkonnon architecture contrasting, at least in my mind, as being very brutalist-inspired when it's implied that the Harkonnen made their initial wealth, before taking over the Siridar feif of Arrakis, through manipulation of various markets including the whale fur from Lankiveil.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

sebmojo posted:

DUNE 2: DUNE HARDER
DUNE 2: WORM HARDER. :colbert:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Bloop posted:

John Cena as the bull
John Cena or John Cena with dad hair?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

g u n e

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Homosexual suicide fanatics are in Dune too i guess, Fedaykin more like Fedgaykin
So someone that identifies as a homosexual federal agent?
EDIT: Or should that be federal homosexual agent? :thunk:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 17, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Honky Dong Country posted:

I took the Bible Paul got to be yueh giving him an arsenal of religious stuff to exploit the Fremen. The atreides had been looking into the Fremen for awhile at that point I think so it'd make sense to know their weird beliefs are at least partially zensunni.
Paul was also explicitly trained by his mother in all manner of ways, so it's not unreasonable to assume he knew BG manipulated religions and took advantage of that to grasp the Desert Power that his father spoke of, after Atreides been made into a guerilla house, after the "sleeper had awakened".

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

All this talk of religions reminds me that there's one of the appendicies that actually cover what came to be the Orange Catholic Bible, I'm just not sure it's a smart idea to reproduce it here so I'll simply go ahead and suggest that all of you should read that for more information on the in-universe explanation for why the precepts of the Butlerian Jihad came to be in a religious text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Here it is guys, here is the reason for @duneauthor's insistence on writing his lovely books.

https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/1097241595873640448
Ah yes, the Trump gambit.