Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

basic hitler posted:

it's set way after that book, and right as the consequences of leto's actions really start to affect the old imperium. It is pretty weird, and you won't recognize any of the characters (except one or two!) and they contain vivid descriptions of women who have sex so well that they can turn anyone they gently caress into a nearly mindless slave.

I had a hard time reading it after a sequence basically played out like

"you are just like a bene gesserit witch! your games will not work on me!"

"she contorted her pussy in the honored matre way, and the pleasure overloaded his brain"

"drat... I am now your slave."

but it has its merits in spite of that silliness.

Haha thats basically an Oglaf strip isnt it.

They had Heretics at my school library, it was very popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

water is a metaphor for "wet"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

yeah I mean wtf

^ holtzman effect is suspensors and shields I think

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Yeah that doesn't sound like an overarching sinister organization at all

they are literal witches that stab children with poison needles for obscure ideological reasons lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

paul_soccer10 posted:

new blade runner was a little boring but the technical competency of the beautiful creative visuals make me a little giddy for D U N E 2018

I want a movie that you can watch while extremely h i g h and denis vill has demonstrated he can deliver that so :yeah:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Herr Bazooka posted:

I liked Dosadi Experiment a lot and wish Herbert wrote more book from that universe.

Whipping Star.

to be clear that's not a metaphor: a literal star gets literally whipped.

e:

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 26, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

unless jose has a fit of spice madness I'm guessing anyone who wants a CHOAM gang tag will need to drop the fiver on a new av, lowtax needs the $

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Doon is best Dune. It should be completely terrible (Doon - the Dessert planet! Everything is made of sugar, and the sugar dunes are roamed by fierce giant pretzels! They all seek the mysterious Beer narcotic!) but it's great.

NOAMCHOMSKI of course standing for Neutralis Organizational Abba Mercantile Condominium Havatampa Orthonovum Minnehaha Shostakovitch Kategorical Imperative.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 29, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

you just buy it as an av.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pham Nuwen posted:

Paul was pretty embarrassed when Duncan caught him "burping the worm" on the trip from Caladan.

Paul's looking at that goop he's about to drink like the hero in this scene

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'd rather you didn't since your last post is complete word salad

His name is a baffling word

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

rndmnmbr posted:

Everyone seems to forget that the Baron Harkonnen loving won.

He manipulated the Emperor, who loved Leto Atreides as a son, into handing the Duke a trap and backing up the trap-setter with the most fearsome warriors the Empire had produced to ensure the Duke would be caught in it. He broke Suk conditioning - conditioning considered so thorough and complete that the concept of breaking it was inconceivable - to produce a mole that no one chose to suspect. He utterly annihilated the Atreides family and Dukedom, and if it weren't for the special circumstances surrounding Paul then the last dregs of the family would have lived their lives out as smugglers and outcasts without ever rising to challenge him again. Thufir Hawat had every reason to hate the Baron and would have taken every opportunity he could to destroy the Baron - and the Baron outwitted and outplotted the most feared and respected Master of Assassins in the Empire so hard that Thufir became not only the Baron's own personal Mentat but a staunch ally of Feyd-Rautha. And it was painfully obvious that the Baron was setting Feyd up to be the next Padishah Emperor, with the most feared and respected Master of Assassins at his back and a fief-complete of Arrakis to ensure enough economic leverage to make it possible, and thus fulfill his own personal ambition of placing a Harkonnen on the throne.

The Baron. loving. Won.

His only failing was the same failing that pretty much every other major character in the book had - he failed to forsee the Kwisatz Haderach coming and steamrolling the Empire into utter submission.

gently caress you, Lynch, and your floating fat man. The Baron is not a joke. The Baron is terrifying and dangerous, and every scene should have been filled with menace. Watching the Baron on screen should have felt exactly like watching a hungry tiger take notice of you and start licking his chops, and the viewer should have felt grateful that the Baron was on the other side of the screen and not real.

This is a good post, but unfortunately most of the clever stuff happened before the book started. So even book readers mainly just get him going ahhhhhhhhh and strangling kittens.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sitting Here posted:

he who can poo poo unrelentingly on intellectual property, controls the intellectual property

Write without skill and you will not upset the fan

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Defiance Industries posted:

David Lynch can get away with poo poo like that because he's a great filmmaker. You could give Kevin J. Anderson a point-by-point plot outline of the theoretical Most Perfect Novel Possible and he would fart out another literary abortion because he's a complete hack.

Yeah death robots coming back 4000 pages later is a solid plot twist but kja couldn't write a competent shopping list

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah I think it was mentioned in Children of Dune that only Leto and Ghanima know that it was originally a numeral and not just literally "Ix".

huh, didn't know that

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kazak posted:

Love this illustration, I love a big worm

I was awestruck my first time reading the moment when sandworms crashed the emperors gate

Phwooooarrrr? (not sure if rude)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Milky Moor posted:

i am incapable of picturing leto 2's 'royal cart' as being anything other than some medieval-era two-wheel cart that noclips off the ground when it needs to hover. then I lose my poo poo when someone is like, ah, such incredible Ixian manufacturing

cart is just not a very awe-inspiring descriptor

the imperial rascal

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

He's a deconstruction of the notion of Mary Sues, if anything.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

paul_soccer10 posted:

do you think the atreides suicide soldiers leto sends to blow up the harkonen spice reserves were drugged into berzerker mode, or were they just brainwashed

they were gay

(Herbert had a whole thing about that, it's in the Dosadi Experiment)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

phasmid posted:

Oh right. The gay shock troops. He's not totally off. Non-breeders in ape society are often used for battle but the way he conflates non-breeding males with being gay is archaic as hell.

I've always assumed it was a combination of high LGBT suicide rates and some kind of Freudian shemozzle about eros/thanatos

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mary sues don't get their eyes burnt out then hobble round prognosticating helplessly ime

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zeniel posted:

Dune is just a well crafted metaphor about the noble lives of trucker. It mainly focuses on the manufacturing of the navigators (truckers) pep pills (spice).
It also explains why Paul's favorite catch phrase throughout the series is "That's a big ten four," and why the Baron Harkonnen is constantly referred to as "Old Smokey," Shai Hulud's are ideal Big Rigs.

Good post imo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fucken A

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Harvard Lampoon spoof of Dune, DOON, is legit hilarious.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I was reading a dune blog about that dinner party scene and I realised that this: "My son displays a general garment and you claim it's cut to your fit?" is actually a perfectly propos riposte, not a random comment to fit in the code word. That's puzzled me for like 35 years.

E:

quote:

"What the Baron will, I may," Lotto said firmly, striking the desk with his fist. "What I will, the Baron may or may not -- depending on whether I do."

"And if," Halfwit added.

Lotto paused, stunned by this last remark. Treachery? From Safire? Impossible! "What do you mean, Safire?"

The Mantan frowned. "My Lord -- what do you mean, what do I mean?"

"I mean, man, what do you mean 'and if'? Unless you mean what I think you mean -- in which case, I caution you, you play a dangerous game."

Halfwit's eyes widened as he realized the meaning of the Duke's words, or at least thought he did. "My Lord--!"

Lotto nodded grimly. "Precisely."

"Um . . . precisely what, my Lord?"

We are reduced to this, the Duke thought bitterly. To uncertainty within uncertainty within uncertainty, gambits within gambits within gambits, redundancy within redundancy within redundancy--

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 1, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

I was reading a dune blog about that dinner party scene and I realised that this: "My son displays a general garment and you claim it's cut to your fit?" is actually a perfectly propos riposte, not a random comment to fit in the code word. That's puzzled me for like 35 years.

That blog is a great read by the way, and has a bunch of quotes from doon for a bonus.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dance without rhythm like no-one's watching

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BONGHITZ posted:

shai haluuuuuuuuuuuude

Shai Hal'duud

he's a cool guy

Shai Qualuude

he's a chill guy

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kumqwat Haagendasz

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

(in small print) A ruckus on Arrakis

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Blood sugar sex magic

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Abupkis... Deserted planet

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I hate sand, Chani

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BONGHITZ posted:

Healthy young child goes to sietch, gets pumped with massive shot of water of life, doesn't feel good and changes - ABOMINATION. Many such cases!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SickZip posted:

black mirrors writers can only produce po-faced variations of "what if a mobile...nicked your chav???"

What if emojis, but bad?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dedert plant

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This thread is a twenty thumper journey

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kull... wahad!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mutant Headcrab posted:

a guild navigator falls through a hole in reality and onto an imperial battlecruiser. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of astropaths. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling “my nigga have u tried spice”

worm reduction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk