Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Angela Lansburial posted:

I was born to be in the C.H.O.A.M. Gang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ultrabindu posted:

https://yadi.sk/i/kciUCmMSiRhHS

This is the longest cut of the De Laurentiis Dune. There's some interesting stuff here. But hoo boy there's no saving that film.

I watched the first hour of some insanely long fan cut and I think a lot of the stuff that was cut should have stayed cut. The one I watched was a lot better edited than the one you linked, though, which jumps all over the drat place. The original theatrical cut is excellent if you've read the books; the stuff that was cut tries to explain things you'd need to know if you hadn't read the books, but it fucks up the flow.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

moller posted:

The theatrical cut is far and away the best although some of the cut scenes are amazing, such as the baby worm vending machine.

As I posted above I agree 100% that the theatrical version is best but if you could tell me where to find the baby worm vending machine... goddamn.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

moller posted:

EDIT: Also, burpin' the worm.

Paul was pretty embarrassed when Duncan caught him "burping the worm" on the trip from Caladan.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

basic hitler posted:

I highly recommend Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, and I hold God Emperor in as much esteem as Dune itself.

At least try an audiobook. Audible gives you a free credit or two for audiobooks and its an easy way to get through some of dune on the cheap

I’m reading God Emperor for the first time in years thanks to this thread and yeah, it’s really good.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Are there any good audio book versions if the trilogy and god emperor? I'm a dune virgin and I want those worms inside me. Through my ears

Don't put the book through a layer of someone else's interpretation; just read the fucker. I know a lot of goons have a weird aversion to actually reading a book but Dune is a weird and complex book with lots of internal monologue (and internal dialogue), quotes from fictional texts, etc. that I think you'd be best served getting a for real paper book.

ovenboy posted:

Which version of the Lynch movie should I watch?

Theatrical cut.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SmokaDustbowl posted:

BORN TO RULE
ARRAKIS IS A gently caress
Kill em all 21592
I am Fremen
410,757,864,530 DEAD HARKONEN

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

basic hitler posted:

I'm glad jodorowskis dune does not exist to be honest. It was a neat little urban legend when i was young and a cool documentary but dune 84 barely works and that level of special effects didnt exist at the time and star wars was years out

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Penny Arcade guys are kind of tools but this was posted in 2003, about the time I tried reading the KJA abortions, and I still agree:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

phasmid posted:

Leto's cart is like a splendid streamlined tank with fabulous bulges and curves for hidden sensors and other equipment he uses on a day to day basis. "Imperial rascal" is actually a p fitting term, since he's got everything on it for when he's on the go (except hopefully he doesn't have a miniature Atreides flag - that would look tacky). He also has lil wipers to buff out all the blood spatter from ghola assassins.

It probably shines like a chromium tank fresh out of a car wash, which would also explain the angry worm god it conveys.

I've assumed the metal parts are bronze-colored, both because it's a desert color and because it evokes the sort of ancient feel of a God-Emperor. I'd imagine there's a lot of obfuscation like extra controls that never get used just to hide that there's almost certainly an Ixian computer inside handling most poo poo.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

drat fine spice coffee, Diane!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

If Paul wasn't a Mary Sue, he wouldn't be the Kwisatz Haderach. It's not like you're reading a story set in modern America except the protagonist is Paul; it's already a universe populated by exceptional people (Mentats, Bene Gesserit, Guild Navigators, Tleilaxu). Paul is the result of an incredibly long breeding program by the Bene Gesserit, who already train mostly normal women into "witches" who can move with superhuman speed & strength, precisely control their own body functions, rearrange chemical structures of things they have ingested, and see the memories of all their female ancestors.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Communist Walrus posted:

I wish "Mary Sue" was erased from the lexicon

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

phasmid posted:

One of my favorite parts of God Emperor is where Siona takes Duncan to a small sietch to see what happens when he meets family sired by his predecessor. It was especially moving that Siona felt badly afterward and Duncan forgave her. It would be pretty hard to get over some poo poo like that, you'd think.

I also like the part where he's arguing with Moneo in the mess hall and keeps acting like a fool to piss the old man off.

I just read through that section and the thing I had to keep reminding myself is that it isn't a sietch, it's just a little village out among orchards and farmland.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MC Hawking posted:

Actually I don't think Paul is the ultimate Chad but you bet your rear end some idiotic incel has made the argument that generations of specific genetic engineering are necessary to become Chad.

really the fact that you exist at all is proof that all your male ancestors were sufficiently Chadly to reproduce

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

That's in the Brian Herbert sequels. To absolutely no one's surprise, it is handled poorly.

Pauul Atreides?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

"Become a member of this organization and vote for stuff YOU like" isn't a very controversial statement until you append "to own the libs"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Stolen from the YOSPOS pics thread:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i want to see another attempt but it has to be like an old-school epic. lavish sets and costuming, the entire thing filmed on 70mm film, entr'acte and minimum one intermission, thousands of extras trucked out into the desert, and the studio nearly goes bankrupt trying to finish the movie.

Directed by Cecil DeMille, with Orson Welles as the Baron and maybe Charlton Heston as Duke Leto.

Lynch's film already gave us some pretty old-school sets and matte paintings, though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Spinster posted:

So true.
Herbert must have been aware his skill in this on some level, with the whole "my name is a killing word"
guns that used words to fire.

Were the 'weirding modules' not a wholesale invention for the Lynch film?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Spinster posted:

Oh gently caress. poo poo. Embarrassing. I rewatched movie just a few months ago due to this very thread. Read Dune ? 10 times probably but not in a few years, still hosed that up.

I guess my sietch will take my water now

Goodbye

May thy knife chip and shatter!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

paul_soccer10 posted:

In the book when the baron captures thufir hawat he poisons him and keeps him dependant on the antidote

In the david lynch movie the same thing happens but also thufir has to milk a cat for the antidote lol

"We've brought you a little cat, Thufir. You must care for it if you wish to live." remains one of my favorite lines.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Test your children's humanity with the Dune Storybook!

Is Joan Vinge good? I occasionally come across her books in used bookstores when I'm looking for Vernor Vinge, but I've never tried any of them.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I forget, where did the Fish Speakers get their name from? Because with no context, that’s a really dumb name.

It's explained in God Emperor, something like 'early priestesses spoke to fish in their dreams'. I don't loving know, it seemed weird to me too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MC Hawking posted:

This is beyond hysterical and needs to be in the OP and/or the new thread title.

the thumper at 2:55 is fantastic.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Well of course it's not "Catholics" like today. The only religion that still exists in a completely recognizable form and isn't a weird mishmash is Judaism.

Also, the word "catholic" means universal or all-encompassing, which would be an appropriate name for a religion designed to incorporate many/all existing religions: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/catholic

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

welp, you guys were right. gross

the logical conclusion of The Handmaid's Tale

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

tactlessbastard posted:

it's a loving crime against humanity that Brian Herbert is allowed to tweet as @DuneAuthor

Abomination!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mutant Headcrab posted:

a guild navigator falls through a hole in reality and onto an imperial battlecruiser. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of astropaths. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling “my nigga have u tried spice”

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Scattering because it causes thousands to flee the known universe.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Lmao a person who named themselves after Hitler being mad about a vague relationship to Brian Herbert's name

Lmao

I'd be less ashamed to be seen in public with Mein Kampf than a Brian Herbert book.

Well, maybe. I'd probably have to wear an appropriate t-shirt to avoid trending on twitter and getting fired.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Doonesbury: Dilbert Planet

Always Postpone Meetings with Time-Wasting Mentats was my favorite compilation

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

The best Dune books are dusty ancient copies that you extract from the depths of some musty used book store or flea market

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I once made a simple FUDGE adaptation for playing in Dune. It was fun, even for people who'd never played a roleplaying game before and hadn't read Dune.

don't blueball me you fucker

dig up that Word 98 document or whatever and share it

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

basic hitler posted:

He basically resolved to trade the Duke's life, went out of his way to help Paul and Jessica, and then commenced with doing the thing to try and kill the Baron. His conditioning wasn't broken so much as he loved his bene gesserit girlfriend so much he wanted revenge more than he wanted to keep the Duke alive.

I've always imagined the conditioning as a super-Hippocratic Oath programmed into the doctor's mind like the loving First Law of Robotics, so for him to betray the Duke would seem to imply it was broken in some fashion. That or, like in Asimov's robot stories, Yueh mentally lawyered himself into it: lowering the house shields is not the same as killing the Duke himself, etc.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

Father! The sleeper has awoken!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

kyoon, perma'd planet

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Kyoon, permabanned planet

kull wahad

Pham Nuwen