Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I said it before and I'll say it again: I don't care how many contributing authors it had, the Dune Encyclopedia is loving entertaining as hell. If you like Dune, I'd recommend it.

Also lol what is wrong with that Brian Herbert quote? Is that how he typed before autocorrect existed or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

The wealthy malcontents had far more destructive things they could use than just 'rig a laser to shoot at a shield'.

Been a while since I read it, and I might be misremembering, but the reason nobody ever uses shield-and-laser for intentional mass destruction is because there were devices that were actually meant to make as big a boom as possible, and didn't do it by accident. You don't need to exploit two pieces of technology that have an unintended consequence like you're exploiting gameplay mechanics. You can just make a real bomb using the same principles. Or something far more destructive altogether. And that's actually used. Technically illegal, but it didn't stop someone from smuggling one onto the Messia's own planet.

The only scrappy terrorist underdogs group was the Fremen themselves in book one, and they didn't have access to shields and lasers. After that, the religious fanatics are the ones running things, and the people who want to shake things up are quite well funded and technologically savvy. They don't need improvised nukes duct-taped together. They have things that go beyond nukes.

And someone just running into an important person's place and firing a laser at the shielded guards was a constant worry, too.

This is a good post.

There is a part in Children where a guide tries to assassinate pre-worm Leto by using a shield belt to attract a worm towards him. It's a good read, imo.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

SniperWoreConverse posted:

but will it be as good as jorodowski's?

"I want to make Orson Welles into Baron Harkonnen. I propose to him I buy the gastronomic restaurant so he may get into character. Like this, I have Orson Welles."

fakeedit: I love Jodorowsky but he was also planning to make some pretty big plot changes that were not conducive to the story.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

SniperWoreConverse posted:

didn't he have a scene where Dali, as the Emperor of all humanity, shits and pisses into a pair of golden dolphins' open mouths, at the same time? I didn't actually get to see the documentary about it
good spaceship design tho

It's worth a watch. Dali had some weird thing where he wanted a pair of toilets shaped like dolphins (and a flaming giraffe but that's not related) because he didn't want the poo poo and the piss to touch eachother. He was basically acting like a stooge and trying to ruin the movie.

The spaceships are Chris Foss, and I love the cool-rear end look he gave to pirate ships, having them painted to camouflage them against nebulae and such.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Are they gonna keep the long bushy eyebrows on the mentats? This is important.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I've made peace with the fact that there won't ever be a movie I like as much as the one in my head and it's not as though you can just stroll into a movie studio and go "Dude, I just had the coolest loving daydream". So whatever they make of it, hopefully they'll use the books as a springboard to make something unique and interesting. I'm glad this thread turned into a fan thread and not a bunch of dopes talking about how Frank Herbert was bad / a bad writer.

Oh, and nthing this

Angela Lansburial posted:

I was born to be in the C.H.O.A.M. Gang

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

JohnnySavs posted:

How do they get the drop on Leto II enough to fry one of his arms with a lasgun again? Wasn't he pretty much fully prescient?
IIRC Leto mentions a few times he's let things slip because he got distracted. Since his inner memories are a constant safari he can use to avoid his boring existence as a giant, semimobile grub, he indulges from time to time. He also mentions that every so often, people take him completely by surprise like Siona, or Hwi and Malky. But the clone that tried to shoot him just caught him with his pants down and later Leto basically just goes "lol that was close" which is a pretty disturbing reaction.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Shaddak posted:

It's been years since I read the original Dune novels, so I might be forgetting some details, but something I've been wondering. We know the goal of the Bene Gesserit breeding program was to create the Kwizats Hadderach (I have no idea if that's the right spelling), but why was that important? I mean, if we ignore all the Brian Herbert stuff, why did the witches want to create a superbeing?
Okay, gonna be a goon for a moment. I'm not sure exactly how much of this is canon, but some of it is from the books and some is from the Dune Encyclopedia.
In Herbert's universe, there was a time when people had a kind of group consciousness. It wasn't really telepathy, but a really intense kind of empathy. Men lost the ability in the ancient times (the BG theorize that it was an impediment to their ability to fight and sire children) and so the few men who still had the ability teamed up with the female-led religious caste and cobbled up a primitive mythology which ended up being the BG - and all the other religions of the earth, which they heavily influenced.

Reverend Mothers, ever since, have had access to all their mothers' and grandmothers' memories and first-hand accounts of lots of history - but that's only half. They can't see the male side of the memory, because they are instinctively frightened by it. The Kwizatz Haderach is the long-promised savior who will be able to see the other side. Since he would be a man made by their order, they figure he'll at least join them if they can't dominate him. With him on their side, they will at last have a total picture of human history - and so amplify prescience to give them total power over galactic affairs.

Basically, the superbeing is supposed to be a puppet-god.

That is my loose interpretation from reading a lot of Dune.

Zeniel posted:

*Spits on thread*
*Almost draws his knife when a Fremen moves a hand to stop him, shaking his head*
*Nods, spits on your post*

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

moller posted:

Seeing it written out like that makes it sound remarkably similar to the plot of Zardoz.
I still haven't seen that movie. I hear it's...interesting?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Herbert's own feelings about history come through the books pretty strongly. He makes it pretty clear in interviews he once wanted to be a historian, but decided to write fiction and stuff for newspapers instead. As far as a reliable narrator, one is to take the story as literal yeah, when it's like "Paul got on the worm" that's because he did. But the snippets that begin each chapter as usually esoterica and quotes (often inaccurate) because he was writing as a futuristic historian and them getting lots of stuff about the past wrong was apparently amusing to him.

Also, in God Emperor Leto has many prominent historians burned alive with their works in the center of his holy city. When he is asked why he did this, he responds "Because they lied."

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Communist Walrus posted:

Duncan Idaho's name is derived from a line of popular in-universe soft drinks. It's in the Brian Herbert books.

Jihad on Brian Herbert.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Murray Mantoinette posted:

I also recommend The Dragon In The Sea, probably my favorite Herbert work aside from Dune.

Your av is great. :)

He wrote really good creepy/horror science fiction, too. Hellstrom's Hive is probably my favorite non-Dune book of his, had some great moments and a sense of mounting dread (tempered with dark humor).

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Books 1-4 are great, though 4 is seperate. Read 5 & 6 at your whim.

Read no farther, for it is bad. Like, bad.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
That was Ray Bradbury.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Testikles posted:

Might be possible that it is a little of both: they can fold space only so far and need to make small successive jumps. Might explain the prescience so they don't jump into a star or debris sitting on the other side.

That's what I usually imagined. They travel at translight speeds, but there's still a vector. I think maybe "fold-space" was not literal in the Dune universe, as it would be if we were talking about astrophysics.

Maybe it was his short service in the navy in WW2 or maybe he just liked boats, but it was also cool how the Guild ships were purely off-planet. Built in whatever shapes their architects desired, the downside was that they had to be built in space and couldn't enter a planet's atmosphere without breaking apart from their massive weight. Solution? Frigates and "lighters" just like the kind the old explorers would use to land on beaches while their ships were anchored in the distance. A nice little colonial motif, one of those details that made Herbert's stuff stand out among his contemporaries.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

Herbert was no prophet and he had problematic views, but he was unquestionably an excellent author.

He was the kind of writer who put his views into his work, but I'm curious what about him is so "problematic"?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

He was an awful, bad father to his gay son and while i can't correlate that since he was no saint to Brian either, his views on homosexuality are there to be found in his books, as his views of women.

Ah. I had read people saying this before but I don't know much about how he treated his sons, or their lives really, except that his gay son was a rights advocate of some importance. Personally, I really don't get that from his books. There's even a part where Idaho sees two women kissing and it pisses him off, while Leto is amused at his close-mindedness. As far as women go, once again, I've heard of people who had some kind of objection but I just figure that men don't write convincing women at all - women don't often write convincing men, either.

Just because he wrote about how war causes vitality in people doesn't mean he liked war, after all. Just my two cents.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

"I've learned about you" Moneo said to Duncan, as he let his tongue wag from his mouth, making slurrping noises at it wet his lips, "several times".
:fap:

Improbable Lobster posted:

Unfortunately Herbert's books tend to use gay men exclusively as villains. Isn't Baron Harkonen a gay pedophile?
He's also a fat redhead.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
That's a good point. I don't remember that "soldier" quote but it kind of sounds like something he'd write. He was pretty antiwar when I read/listened to interviews or sound bites. The thing about not writing women well is an overarching theory of mine, but he seemed to have enough respect for them to at least try to write them well.

Odrade was a really strange character, kind of a chosen one herself without many flaws. She was their bad bitch but she was also affectionate and good to a degree that other Bene Gesserit weren't. Maybe she died at the end because he couldn't decide to do with such a formidable character. Taken singly, she's pretty much the most powerful character in the books except for Leto, who wasn't fully human.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
As far as luminaries of fiction go, I think Herbert's faults were pretty quaint compared to his contemporaries/people a generation earlier. He didn't really go past his pulpit (his own books) and whatever he was like in private, he wasn't out to start an empire either. It's not like he was one of those WASP archons like Walt Disney. :shrug:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

because leto wanted a son? what difference does it make? because a son would've allowed him to make a bid for power? so spare me the moral posturing you "oh so noble" nimrods in house atreides. they had slaves too; they just treated them "nice" which makes them actually worse.

Harkonnen account spotted.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Every now and then I reload Emperor: Battle for Dune. It's Westwood Lynchian and the Atreides are OP but goddamn that game has some fine moments. Get a Fedaykin on wormback and start eating people's spice harvesters. :2bong:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

to be fair from what I've heard the recent Bond movies have been gigantic shitshows behind the scenes, to the point where Daniel Craig is ready to quit the series

It's not just behind the scenes. Skyfall was boring and Spectre was plain stupid. I guess you mean there was a lot of contention, makes sense. I don't know why a seasoned director would want to step in on Bond, the re-launch was a disappointment and Dune will probably be a playground by comparison. Fresh, malleable and even though I see it possibly making a bunch of cash and drawing in some new fans, it'll be way easier to start up a Dune movie than to salvage where Bond is at right now.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

Nah, I'm just joshin you.

Idaho was the first ghola ever to retrieve it's personality. Hayt the mentat was also by Leto' s shoulder when he was young. From the harkonnens he learned constant resistance, which is what Leto wanted for his descendants to emulate to eventually produce Siona. Plus, he was a good breeder for difficult dams.

A great callback to Messiah is the part in Heretics (I think) when the Tleilaxu council is meeting and Scytale is there. I was like "oh poo poo, of course he knows how to do it now too!"

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Arrhythmia posted:

Try looking into that place where you dare not look! You'll find Brian Herbert there, staring out at you!

SILENCE!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The thing with Dune is that they all feel like different books. Heretics/Chapterhouse are so much later and they only feel at home because he constantly uses the lingo from earlier books. Prana bindu, spice trance, ghola, etc. Like, if you read them in reverse you'd go "wtf is this fruitcake talking about?" But I still like the later stuff because it's not as *epic* but still canonically sensible.

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Currently reading messiah and it was slow at first but it's picking up, a good read

It's really good and it's a nice departure from the seemingly Arthurian story in the first book imo

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Messiah delivers on the real point of Paul’s story, which is the whole “A hero is damaging, a messiah is catastrophic”. Reading the first book on its own is like stopping 2/3rds of the way through.

Agreed

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Really it always seemed like such a gently caress you to the fanbase that they let a guy who made a career of star wars novellas write the extended universe. Kevin Anderson has no shame. My friends and I were trashing him in sixth grade. That's how awful he is, he couldn't make a bunch of 11-12 year olds who basically loved anything scifi/fantasy enjoy scifi/fantasy.

But hey, it seems like everyone's on the same page these days that the original works were good and that his son is a terrible hack with hack friends.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Chas McGill posted:

He's also (anecdotally) a total dickhead.

Zero talent, social lamprey, rich off other people's ideas...yeah, I can believe it.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I also want to say that although Lucas is a technical genius, ppl not understanding what a ripoff SW is forget that in the first screenplay, the Jedi get their powers, reflexes and limited prescience from ingesting a precious spice.

e. ^^ no, literally the first scene in ANH was originally Vader trying to recapture a shipment of spice, not the plans for the Death Star. It wasn't a throwaway line, but a major plot device.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Valerian and Laureline were wonderful comics. It's a shame the recent reboots have been so poorly done. Ah well.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

The Bloop posted:

It was "fine" but neither of the principle pair was believable in their role imo. I'll admit I've never read the source material

It's very good. I'd recommend looking it up.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I mean, THX was a good movie imo and that was "borrowing" from 1984 and other dystopian stuff. But Star Wars fans pretend that it was mostly an homage to Flash Gordon and other light fare which is deliberately kinda clouding the fact that it "borrowed" pretty heavily from Herbert. He and Lynch agreed on this when they were making the movie of Dune.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It's kind of a sad movie because it becomes clear that the project was a drat mess from the start and the director is a crazy man. Holy Mountain was pretty good, though.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I think my favorite part was right before that where he's criticizing the film industry going "Look, these fuckers just do everything for money!" *pulls out a bunch of paper and fans it out* "This meaningless poo poo!"

Then he kind of looks at it absently for a few beats and slowly crams it back into his pocket.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Kull Wahad!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Perhaps the saying should be "don't lend out good books."

Jk I've never read Stephen King in my life.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Leto's cart is like a splendid streamlined tank with fabulous bulges and curves for hidden sensors and other equipment he uses on a day to day basis. "Imperial rascal" is actually a p fitting term, since he's got everything on it for when he's on the go (except hopefully he doesn't have a miniature Atreides flag - that would look tacky). He also has lil wipers to buff out all the blood spatter from ghola assassins.

It probably shines like a chromium tank fresh out of a car wash, which would also explain the angry worm god it conveys.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
"Support are sietch." :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Punk rear end Fremen kids chugging water and spilling it, complaining about how hot it is, using toilets instead of stillsuits (flushing twice sometimes!) as their grandparents look on amazed and disgusted.