Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it might be flat out said that sandworms are basically an ecosystem in themselves, yeah.

That is a good paraphrase of everything Liet-Kynes reveals.

Anyone trying to make sense of Dune's ecology really needs to stop at the level of "what do the books say" and not try to make sense of it. Frank Herbert made a really cool universe in broad strokes but it really doesn't hold up in fine detail anywhere.

Worms are their own parents and food and they also make a poison capable of causing the genocide of their entire species instantaneously and they also manipulate the desert ecology that made themselves possible and (bong rip) it's like what is causality even, man?

And yes, the puffball analogy is apt. I just finished Dune again. What happens is that when there's a spice blow most of the sand plankton are murdered, but a small number survive to grow into worms. Worms only eat sand plankton so far as anyone knows, and remember all sand plankton are murdered every time there's a spice blow. So by the time there's enough of them to feed a giant sand worm they all die so no this doesn't make any sense.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

That's all true, but how can you go from Geidi Prime to Gammu, which is stupid poop

Literally Everything in Dune is how things undergo weird mutations over vast distances and time. Saying the author should be limited to only newspeak like making "Geidi Prime" into "Gepri" or whatever doesn't work. If you just think the name and how it's handled is dumb, I agree, but language evolving in unexpected ways is totally normal. Just look at the history of English. It makes lots of anti-sense all over.

Why is it Gammu? I don't know, how did the sandworms evolve to eat themselves for food? That's just how it ended up, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

I'm DUNCAN-00102... kill... me...

I'm DUNCAN-02154... kill... me...

I'm DUNCAN-08921... kill... me...

I'm DUNCAN-10009... kill... Muad...

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Tree Bucket posted:

That's a good point. The book is very big on the idea that men and women are fundamentally different beings who percieve & interact with the mysteries of the universe in very different ways. I wonder, wIll the movie view this gender stuff critically, or play it straight, or gloss over it, or what? The Kwisatz Haderach concept doesn't really *fit* with a lot of current attitudes towards gender fluidity...

I mean sure Herbert Was Bad.

The "area women dare not look" is also because women (sex vs. gender in the modern debate lol) have the possibility to give birth to prescient babies and (at least in the first book, arguably retconned in different ways in later books) it's supposed to be really hard to make prescience work when multiple presciences are at play in the same zone. Like Paul gets blinded by people selling tarot cards in the market, two pages before he develops Perfect Prescience Vision by being blinded. So uh. Shrug?

Nothing really makes sense in Dune so he could have found a way around this, but there are in-universe reasons why men and women might experience prescience differently, and they're pretty central to how he viewed some of the Big Themes.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Villeneuve is one of the top directors where you can't possibly judge anything about the movie until you see some stuff in context, preferably with final score.

That won't stop le social media from going "so excited that I literally murdered my baby to the blood god for this film #blessed".

Give me some of the throne room scene so somebody can supercut Villeneuve v. Lynch, then I'll get excited.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Frank seems to have obviously thought men were stronger in some ways, but for a guy who made very plain how dangerous and catastrophic a superhero could be, it seems to me like he didn't really regard this strength as 'superior' necessarily.

"Space Hitler could only be a man." -Frank Herbert, neckbeard misogynist

This is where people confuse is/ought arguments. Being Space Hitler "is" necessary to save humanity from annihilation, but no one thinks the universe "ought" to be that way. Except the Baron, maybe. But he's a fat meanie.

Maybe that's a dumb and/or outdated way to see things. But it's not exactly difficult to see the same point in the exact opposite light, where Herbert thinks women are - possibly quite rightly and sanely - not willing to become Space Hitler no matter what.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

D. Ebdrup posted:

I tried embiggening it:

Did I miss the part where everyone gets mad that nobody in this film ever wears a mask?

Because these muhfuggas wasting water.

Phlegmish posted:

Every time there's dialogue between two characters one of them has an inner monologue like "I will say this, which will fool him into thinking x, which will further my plan...but what if it furthers his plan? And is his plan actually opposed to mine or are we on the same side, is he a triple-crosser?"

Not going to lie, sometimes I have trouble following the details

Unless you're a diehard fanboy with a list of explanations longer than the book, 90% of the time it's just nonsense.

Even within Herbert's own writing, he admits that chance and happenstance trump prescience in all but the most plot armor of schemes.

Characters are always generating five or six different ways a scenario could go before finding out they had no idea wtf was going on to begin with except heh heh this will all play to my advantage wait why am I bleeding and probably poisoned now?

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

AFewBricksShy posted:

Paul wouldn't have really acclimated to life on a planet with no water just yet.

(peers closely at screen, thumbs to the page about "desert fashion", peers back at screen)

The images we've gotten so far are likely to be exclusively chosen by the ad agency, so I'm not reading too much into it. I know people who work in movie advertising and lol.

But nothing shown about the movie so far excites me either. Then again I could say the same about 2049. Early teasers of Blank Slate Gosling on orange/cyan backgrounds didn't work for me. I need to see a trailer before I can do much more than laugh about how

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

eSports Chaebol posted:

actually where IS our Snow Crash movie?

Villeneuve would have done better with Snow Crash imho. He does like his weird cop stories, no matter what genre they're set in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda weird that Dune style shields tend to make it into video games and low-budget sci-fi as excuses for not wearing spacesuits/armour all the time.

Eh. The concept itself is universal gets used in all sorts of ways.

I think it was Legend of the Galactic Heroes where there's a mobile EMP that kills the usual laser guns so people in spacesuits fight with axes. But then again that's Japan. It's always swords.

Phlegmish posted:

Sure. I don't have a problem with the book in a structural sense. Once you get past the endless metaphysical verbal diarrhea

That's a problem with basically all the sequels. I mean it was a problem in the original book too, but it compounds once you get past the "this new universe is cool" factor of the first.

When you say you like the book in a structural sense, you're ignoring tons of the structure in order to try and construct your preferred narrative. Leto gets screwed over by gaps in his prescience and nearly loses it all more than once. So this whole "he saw the whole thing" just baaaarely limps to its conclusion.

Like Leto had to see that he'd be blinded by love and thus miss his assassin, who was in fact supposed to kill him anyway, so he had to see that he wouldn't see the end that he definitely saw that he didn't see coming?

What do worms eat anyway.