Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

threelemmings posted:

The water was 31, 32, 33 liters! 6, 7 drams! 3 thirty-seconds! Jan jan jan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

"Black robes absorbes 2.5 times the radiation of white robes"

That's radiation that's not hitting your skin and burning it.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Nice Halo suits.

Also,

Pham Nuwen posted:

White robes reflect it, rather than absorb it.

If you were gonna blindfold yourself with a single layer, and then look at the sun, would you use a white cloth or a black one?

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
The remaining light can be reflected or transmitted. It's how you get things like bragg diffraction. There'll be some differences because it's a fabric, rather than one piece. Still, i think adsorption would play a roll, because light would still be reflected through the pores of the weave, like a long tunnel covered in mirrors (like teg's ego core duude).

Have you ever gotten a sunburn through a white shirt, or at least had a softening of your farmers tan?

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
It's okay, pm me

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Gurney Halleck played by Mickey Rourke

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Moneo Atreides played by Oscar Isaac

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Miles Teg-Roxborough played by Oscar Isaac

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

Joke Miriam posted:

I like that the stillsuits have well-defined poo-pouches on the thighs.

And well-defined poo poo-tubes in the rear end

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

davidspackage posted:

Your poo poo-tube is fitted dessert-form.

It...felt like the right way

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

D. Ebdrup posted:

The union between Feyd-Rautha and Jessica's supposed daughter would have given rise to the The Kwisatz Hadarach who was always referred to as male, as apparently Frank thought real long and hard about feminism and concluded that what a whole universe of otherwise-powerful women needed was a real man all along - despite the fact that Beverly went and got a job so she could support them while Frank wrote his books.

The in-universe reason for why Bene Gesserit failed is that they failed to recognize the power of love - which is what causes Jessica to rebel against all of her teachings and arguably her entire way of life up until that point.

Well yeah, the kwisatz haderach is a male reverend mother. Before that, any man to attempt the agony died outright. After the bg breeding program was prematurely successful, the atriedies genetic line had males which could access past lives. See: leto II and miles teg (his mother in the hall of mirrors). He just so happened to take over the universe, because the bg had been investing the myth of the kwieatz haderach with a lot of energy, even within their own ranks, in hopes of controlling the final product which would assume the 'godhead'.

I've always thought herbert low key believed women were superior

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
'prescience' was a random mutation. Evolution, not selective breeding

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
HUMMM

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS LETO

BZZZT

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU gently caress A STRANGER IN THE rear end

SPLASH

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
That desert really tied the universe together

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
That looked like a nasty fall My Duke! You should go see doctor Yueh. He's a good man. And thurraugh

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
At the last possible moment, the Duke took his own life

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
The high amount of dust in the atmosphere from arrakeen super storms turns the sky silvery grey

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
I was reading the movie thread. Someone mentioned that the color scheme of red/green/black for the good guys and blue/white for the bad guys would be harder for audiences to grasp intuitively. Someone else countered that the colors make perfect sense from the perspective of a medina arab

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Siona is young, dumb, and full o' cum. That's why she's a rebel: she's too young and angry to be wise. She doesn't care about Hwi Noree. She would kill a million Hwi's to get Leto. She did kill millions, and more, when she killed Leto. It led right to the famine times.

But...that's why Leto created her (and she is Leto's creation). He made himself the ultimate villain, one who held the mandate of heaven so strongly, that only the ones with 'the best stuff' would suicide/rebel out of a sense of right and wrong, or at least repressed fervor. From these suicides, he let only the best live. Until finaly, finally: the evolution of genetic defense against prescience. As striking a genetic feat as the original kwizatz haderach.

And just as he worked on human genes, he had 2000 years to shape the collective psyche. If you know this cycle, you can see the shape of the next one. Fte6r the famine times, the scattering. Human life spread so far, Leto could look ten million years into the future, and still see duncab idaho.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Herbert read a lot of Tolstoy. Without a strong government, with hero's within it being worshipped, you can't make a war that will kill everyone. I believe that is the root of Herbert's sense of distaste for the authoritarianism of all governments. In the latter books, among the bene gesserit yhe most fraught word they speak is politics

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
I've always thought of Herbert's politics as very Robert Anton Wilson / Immortal Technique-y. Literally thinking 'serfs' and 'markets' as interchangeable words when you get high enough up

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And keep in mind with Paul and Leto II is that a key point of prescience in Dune is that it's accurate, anything you can predict will happen. This is probably why seers are blind spots to each other. They consider this existentially terrifying, since if they look too far ahead and see humanity's extinction, they know that's exactly what will happen, while people they can't predict are people who can potentially do things better.

Wellll... from the atreides manifesto, we get the idea that rather than predicting the future, the prescient actually creates that future. That's why they say muad'dib locked us into the genocide, and the tyrant brought us out of it. Leto was the stronger psychic. That's why odrade refuses to look at 'the hunter with the axe' lest she lock the BG into destruction.

That's also why Taraza's plan involved glassing arrakis, with all the remaining worms. Alas, by that time the tlelax solution was being moved off the table, and they had to perserve one of the devils

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
I'm confused as to how much Heinlein thought of writing as an art vs a profession. I can't remember him ever being especially deep, unless you count his pulp fetishism, in which I find similarity to Quentin Tarantino of all people.

When he does touch the real world, it is often about sexual morality, political righteousness, and economic realities. Of these, the only one that seems to have straight trajectory through his work is sexual morality, in which he freely embraces free, almost communal love. That his other ideas are so all-over the place in his work makes me think he was just inserting how he thought at the time, without Too much thought beyond mechanics. Which is why his work spands from 'We the Living' to 'Starship Troopers' to 'and I will Fear No Evil' to 'Stranger in a Strange Land'

He couldn't even write military fiction, because he was in the military and knew how it worked. Which ment he couldn't just churn out whatever happen to be in his brain. He would have to make the scenario actually work

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
You know, the funny thing about Heinlein, is that the whole facism thing isn't even the elephant in the room

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Akuna-Matata

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
As a teenager, I managed to jerk it to heretics, but only just barely. I actually don't think herbert was so horny

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
E. -eh that verges on a spoiler-

Inverted Icon fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 9, 2020

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
"Grow up humans!"

That's the goal of the BG. Their grail, which they track and follow

As for the sexual control, I currently think it's them learning the wrong lessons from Guldur. Leto's society worked because everyone needed the spice. If youre scattered, and you're fighting the Tlelax, and you have no worms, that means no spice. They transferred that need to themselves. Like Teg says, though, ecstasy is the addict's dead end street. As wise as the BG are, the HM are as consistently anti-wise

BGs do have an evil streak, but uh, let's say that repression only strengthens that which is repressed in the long run

Reaching the end of the golden path is dangerous, but remaining subjorned to the tyrant is also. What if those dreamers one day dream calamity? What if humans are never free of them? It's not the safe path, but following the safe path is what the guild did in book I.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
You know, I do think every word and phrase is laden with meaning. When the Tlelax mashiek sat down on that bench on bandalong, they sat on a bench that represented their whole society

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
You can never make yourself the center of worship/need. That's why the Sheeana Reborn scenario was an emergency hatch instead of The Plan. It basically would have turned BG into HM

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
The Guild: Uninspiration. The dominant faction in Dune, they never recover after the Tyrant and become curaed with 'irrelvancy' after a fashion. They have all the power of Muad'dib, without any of the inspiration

IX: Untamed Inapiration. Universally distrusted, their Arafel is what the Tyrant' empire was about preventing. They break the guild monopoly on space travel qnd have a direct hand in the division of Leto II. The prevention of Arafel renders them more-or-less impotent in the old empire post scattering

Tlelax: the Unknown/Unconscious Inspiration. Universially reviled for over a thousand years. Everything about them is a facade. Everytime they are in the narrative, people are learning previously unknown things about them. Easy to dismiss them, and yet...and yet, nothing would be possible without them. Not Idaho, not Hwi, not the twins becoming abominations. Always important, they rose to new (unknown to us) prominence in the scattering. They can make a Kwisatz Haderach at will

BG: Trying for Wisdom. In a way, they sort of are human society due to their genetic memory. Their foolishness creates the story, and we end with their decision to meet death rather than destruction. When (chapterhouse spoiler)murbella went one way, and sheanna another, the BG ceased to exist, leaving only their two daughterFrom this, we see how the story has made them wise

HM: Not attempting wisdom. When the BG lose a grip, this is the result. That's why the BG were always careful and fraught in their highest council. Transformation into HM is always one generation away

Inverted Icon fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 17, 2020

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
The spirit of Leto II left the first body of the dead child, and returned as the male twin Leto II.

Leto knew Duncan survived, but by definition he couldn't see the no-globes. Or most of the scattering, I think. Only that Duncan gholas survive.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

exmachina posted:

But are they of the same substance or of similar substance? It probably doesn't make an iota of difference

The same substance

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
What if Dune, right, but it was Tundra

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
You see, Brian hated his father

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
No, I agree with you completely. Brian having some kind of intent to destroy his father's legacy is the only way it makes sense to me

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
He's literally a giant phallus

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Uh that's a 3rd stage Edrich

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

We have the technology