Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
The fat hand moved, tracing details on the surface. "I invite you to observe," the basso voice rumbled. "Observe closely, Piter, and you, too, Feyd-Rautha, my darling: from sixty degrees north to seventy degrees south - these exquisite ripples. Their coloring: does it not remind you of sweet roughage? And nowhere do you see blue of lakes or rivers or seas. And these lovely polar caps - so small. Could anyone mistake this place? Arrakis! Truly unique. A superb setting for a unique crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

But he’s getting memories of Duncans he has no genetic material from. He’s still made of cells from the original Duncan Prime who got stabbed in the head by Sardukar in Dune 1, that the Bene Tlielax have been shaving bits off of for 3500 years. He’s still genetically that Duncan, minus some conditioning they put in that would make him brainwash-gently caress the first space nun he has sex with, hoping it would be a BG and not an HM.

I thought they made him special with materiel from more than one Duncan and tweaked reflexes etc?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Pretty sure the answer is a fade. A lovely fade.

Cool Wad!

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

(poo poo)Post without rhythm

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Heather Papps posted:

Twerk without rhythm

...and you won't attract the worm.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Dr Yueh is genre swapped to Dr Yaoi.

"A million deaths were not enough for Yaoi!"

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also who put that collar on the cat.

magic.gif

The eagles.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Without thinking about it too hard I gained the impression that the sandtrout's job was to gather water and encapsulate it somehow with a mass of their bodies under the sand and keep doing that until the planet was dry enough for some of them to become worms.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Why is Paul holding up a small turd?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Mid eighties foil blocked blue sandworms

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npT_E8yFTh0

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Swellington Yueh.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Super Waffle posted:

Don't forget that he also thinks about getting a big fat worm dick made. Best part of the book.

"Gross Protuberance" is a pretty good username imo.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

phasmid posted:

Once again I must declare kanly on this thread.

The art of Kanly still has it's admirers.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Murray Mantoinette posted:

It's Kralizec today and I'm 3,500

You know what that means... BRING IT IN GUYS!!!!

*every ghola of every character from every major house, original, prequel, or sequel novel comes in with everything for a HUGE battle*

Kralizec is the typhoon struggle, typhoon means "big wind" in Chinese. Screw gross protuberances, how does the god emperor fart?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Ingmar terdman posted:

I'm a victim of circumstance said the human computer/ninja/feudal heir

no dont, please, stop

Welcome, traveller, to my hall of giant veiny cocks.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I really like Sterling, Islands in the net, which has a terrible CyBerPunK cover which bears almost no relation to anything in the book, is one of my favorite books.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Just saw it in the cinema today, I thought it was really well done, some bits were missing that I'd like to have seen, but 4 hours is too long I guess. The voice irritated me. I'd always understood from the books that it wasn't a weird way of speaking but rather a result of the BG being hyper observant and understanding people extremely well, that enabled them to pitch their tone and word choice in a way that a person would instinctively obey.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

euphronius posted:

That’s how it was on the movie too

Not really, I'm pretty sure people can't make a whole bunch of echoey/growly over and undertones whilst at the same time subtly overdubbing themselves a second or so behind. It reduced the voice to a ventriloquist act of some sort and it's never described that way in the books.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

euphronius posted:

I think you missed a lot of what was going in the movie wrt to the the voice esp the thopter scene which went exactly how you wanted it to be

It’s ok it’s a subtle movie that demands a lot of attention

Not really, the thopter scene was wierdly re-written for the film. Why include all the lines from the guards about raping Jessica and then not have her and Paul use the voice to manipulate them with that? (Also Paul didn't kick anyone).

yaffle fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 18, 2021

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

sebmojo posted:

I can't think of a single reason why they wouldn't show the guards being enticed into rape, not a one

Then why include the lines at all?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Earwicker posted:

has anyone itt read any of herbert's non-dune books or series? my dad had one with books called destination void and the jesus incident that seemed to be mostly about ai and clones and an ocean planet called pandora. i tried it as a teenager but couldnt get into it

None of them are as good as Dune, but there is some neat stuff in there, I enjoyed the destination Void series. It has crazy ecology and superhumans.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A big point is that they're raised in deliberately horrible conditions on a planet described as one big prison, and have the opportunity to be elevated to immense status and privilege. The standard imperial playbook.

Secretly, because nobody knows where the Sardaukar come from. Hawat has worked it out, which is one of the reasons the Atreides agree to go to Arrakis - they suspect the Fremen could be as tough as the Sardaukar.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

skasion posted:

Kynes is Fremen and definitely a pant making GBS threads psycho killer like the rest of them, on top of which his and his dad’s terraforming plan was lunatic poo poo. It’s a feasibility study hopped up on the light version of Muad’dib’s cult, combined with zero sense of political perspective. Did he really think the rest of the universe was going to just sit back for the next few hundred years and let the Fremen destroy galactic civilization to turn Arrakis green?

Kynes was imperial planetologist and Judge of the change, not a Fremen, but married to one. My reading is he was an offworlder (The emperor would never appoint a Fremen to two important posts) who had gone native. Also Chani's dad. (Was that in the films?)

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Bubblyblubber posted:

uhum, uhum, yes, we should shun the dickless worm, i agree, go on

Avoid the reeking herd,
Shun the dickless worm,
Live like that stoic bird,
The eagle of the.. sperm?.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

ImpAtom posted:

It would have had to have been before he met up with the Duke, because Jessica was surprised to hear about his wife existing and ended up thinking Yueh was like Duncan and Gurney another person driven to the Atredies by the bonds of hatred of the Harkonnens.

The Baron told everyone that Yueh was a fake suk doctor.
Also, maybe it was here but somebody somewhere posted a clip of the sandworm attack from Dune 2 with the music from the Lynch version and it was awesome. Does anybody have that?