Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

What are everyone's thoughts on the fifth and sixth books, where the guy gets his rear end kicked so hard that he becomes The Flash? Are these actually Dune, or the beginning of the knockoff anthology?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I could vote for Robert Sheehan for Feyd, after seeing his performance as Klaus on Umbrella Academy.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Pham Nuwen posted:

Regular brain: the Baron is fat because he indulges himself excessively

Expanding brain: The Baron allows himself to be fat because he thinks it makes people underestimate him

Galaxy brain: The Baron is fat because of Bene Gesserit pussy magic
Por que no los tres?

The Baron is fat and gross because nothing matters and he embraces that, and if people misunderstand and think he's lazy or stupid, that's even better.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

WarMECH posted:

God Emperor but every character is played by Gary Oldman.

Hwi Noree and Duncan Idaho are Dead featuring Gary Oldman and Tim Roth.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Alia is unironically awesome and a good adaptation of her should be a bigger deal.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Danny Devito stabbing the Baron with a gom jabbar and earning the title, "St. Alia of the Toe Knife"

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Xaintrailles posted:

The V2 rocket was pre-computer (wikipedia says it has an analog computer, not sure if that's permitted) so maybe a basic ICBM could be made. I would think the guild would have something to say about flying your nukes around in space though.

With Tleilaxu genetic engineering you could make a pigeon guided missile that actually works, so heatseeking missiles etc. should be doable.

Shoving a human suicide pilot in a missile doesn't seem like a big deal in the Duniverse, human life is cheap there.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

D. Ebdrup posted:

In the books, the only overt effect of the spice that affect the Fremen as far as I remember, is that they become subconsciously semi-telepathic to others' unstated needs in the group as a result of them closing themselves off from the precognitive abilities of the spice as only the Kwizats Hadarach bloodline can use that; or at least that's something Jessica speculates about just after she's brought coffee one time.

Aside from the Paul v. Jamis fight we see, the only mention of the way that Fremen fight that we get a description of, is once Paul wows to take back the planet from the Harkonnen, where it's described that they have a fighting style that's involves jumping and fluid movement, which is probably the Weirding Way.
They also fight at full speed, because nobody uses shields on Arrakis, and everyone else practices the slow blade against shields (for their entire lives), which is a hard habit to unlearn in the span of a single fight to the death with a guy who is really good at killing you.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Being able to fold space and time with your mind is a pretty impressive power so why would old Frank insist navigators have limited powers? Why would he write their role is to chart a safe course through space and time?

I don't know it's just the way I understood it from reading the books as it's a common sci-fi theme that you need some serious computer power for calculating fast/far space travel courses
I'm pretty sure the ships fold space and time. But flying faster than the speed of light means it's really hard to navigate, so seeing the future is the only way to see where you're going.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

kiimo posted:

In front of the Emperor, Paul disrobes, pulls the catheter off his penis and breaks off a chunk of poop cake and flings it at Feyd
Obviously for a Fremen the razor-edged poopknife was the only permitted weapon for killing in a Kanly duel.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I have to laugh at the idiot "author" who uses the phrase "running out of words about" anything. Isn't it his job to have unlimited words at his disposal?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Mister Speaker posted:

Are there any instances in literature where an heir has taken the mantle of their parent's work and done it justice? Or is it failsons abounds?
Christopher Tolkien did a pretty good job.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Feyd:

-Is Lovely
-Lives in a palace
-Is a great duelist (so he is a brave noble aristocrat)
-Is well dressed
-Is charismatic
-Might kill the Baron who everybody hates in a plot twist to make the audience like him
-Is with all the other aristocrats where they can fawn over him

Paul:

-Is smelly
-Lives in a cave
-Is a witch (so aristocrats hate him)
-Wears a giant poopsock
-Eats spice drugs and hallucinates constantly
-Catches giant worms for fun and drinks people's blood because it's full of water
-Is in a cave so nobody important knows anything about him

So I can see how they might set up the movie to make Feyd seem the one who's about to win the game of spice thrones

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Yeah, Dune isn't at all a character study. None of the characters really have personalities beyond how they act and react to the plot, and their ability to problem solve. The ones that do have personalities are basically presented as zealots or insane people, or we're told that they're heroic but never shown any evidence of it. Concept and intrigue is really all we really care about.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

How about those deathstills then?

Do Fremen drink the blood of their enemies? Or do they actually have some kind of device that takes purified water out of corpses and leaves behind all the biological bits?

Is the spice just worm poop?

What other things that get danced around in the novels are probably very gross and depraved?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

magic cactus posted:

You know, this is megahorny as all hell, but I actually kind of like the way it's written. It feels very disjointed and stream-of-consciousness, like a very abstracted sense of sex. Almost Joycean really.

my beefswell is a killing word

James Joyce the guy who wrote love letters about loving big giant farts out of his woman?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Doc Hawkins posted:

the virgin fart-hater vs the chad libertine

we truly live in the horniest timeline

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The the all hyper-perceptive people in Dune, they're going to have to have some representation of all the hidden things people are always noticing. In "show, don't tell" fashion, maybe they'll do an x-ray effect and have Jessica notice a concealed weapon somebody is carrying, a rapid heartbeat from someone who's lying, overhear a whispered secret between people across the table, things like that. Maybe they'll do the Sherlock thing where text appears in the air. Maybe they'll just have characters improbably say things out loud to confront each other rather than have them be impassive cyphers with insanely complex inner monologue. The dinner scene conveys a tense, paranoid mood that sets the stage for the cutthroat politics of Dune, and reveals some of the superhuman abilities that various characters have, which is more important than 90% of the actual words being thought and said. It'll be a couple of minutes on screen, so they just need to hit the highlights.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Siona and Duncan and everybody besides Leto were all awful and uselessly impulsive and self-righteous. It was extremely unsatisfying watching them act like idiots the entire novel, which is maybe the point, since they're the antagonists?

BUT Siona and Duncan had to be forces of pure chaos and impulse, that's the only way prescience wouldn't be able to see what they'd do next. I doubt ol' Frank was writing them this way on purpose, subtle characterization was never his thing, but it's kind of internally consistent at least.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Grevling posted:

I have met a former Libertarian guy who decided that authoritarian rule is the only way to stop climate change, it's not completely crazy.
Libertarians love authoritarian rule, they think it's the answer to everything

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If you haven't been bred into a perfect genetic weapon for millennia, with the purpose of power to the exclusion of all else, what's even the point of being alive?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

euphronius posted:

Little worms
The big ones are unkillable, I think someone even said a nuke wouldn't take out the biggest ones.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

kiimo posted:

Ideal Feyd
This was my pick a few hundred pages ago, best Feyd

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

euphronius posted:

In a art movie maybe but a big $$$$ Hollywood movie ain’t going to put words on the screen

All movies of books are adaptions. Every adaption is in some way a compromise of the “original vision” of the book
They could do the technique where they smash cut to a flashback of the character having a conversation on the topic (e.g. Jessica explaining the micro-signals that give away lies to Paul) and then a close-up of the eye twitch that's giving away a lie. They could do some kind of nasty visual effect or "ears ringing" sound effect when superhuman senses detect something weird. There aren't that many scenes that rely on the stuff Lynch added voiceovers for, hopefully the writers found good ways to show them off or turn them into dialogues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I mean Sandworms create oxygen via some internal fusion. Maybe they need the hydrogen while growing to facilitate that? And become somehow deathly allergic to water fully matured cause???
Isn't it in the books that the worms are a form of silicon-based life? If they are turning SiO2 into more complex molecules, they'd have to crack off at least one oxygen from each silicon and exhale it. The worms have a huge furnace inside because they've got to melt that sand down before they can work with it.