Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

basic hitler posted:

Whats weird is Messiah and Children would work as single movies

I want my remote control tiger assassins adapted to the big screen dammit! Also

basic hitler posted:

Brian/kja tripe is not canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Arrhythmia posted:

brad dourif is also the villain in Myst 3 and he does a great job

holy poo poo I forgot entirely about this. He's also in Lynch's Blue Velvet

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

etalian posted:

Baron Harkonnen did nothing wrong, kanly isn't a crime

Leto: "Thufir, tell the Baron's messenger I said "more like kan'tly." Heh, get it...? Thu- Thufir. Thufir? Do you get it?"

Hawat (to self): Ugh, Jesus, gently caress this. I'm just gonna let that really nervous, suspicious doctor murder you all.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

phasmid posted:

IIRC Leto mentions a few times he's let things slip because he got distracted. Since his inner memories are a constant safari he can use to avoid his boring existence as a giant, semimobile grub, he indulges from time to time. He also mentions that every so often, people take him completely by surprise like Siona, or Hwi and Malky. But the clone that tried to shoot him just caught him with his pants down and later Leto basically just goes "lol that was close" which is a pretty disturbing reaction.

Well he also mentions that, while the laser seared his (vestigial) leg, being part sandworm he's nearly impervious to heat so it probably wasn't too serious although he does mention that he was disturbed by the fact that the ghola was aiming not at his head but somewhere near his midsection where his evolved mutant brain actually resides

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Also a reminder that they somehow managed to wrangle acting legend Susan Sarandon into the role of one of Shaddam's daughters for that awful Scifi Syfy miniseries

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Here, I................. spiced............... it up a little bit.

Also fixed some alignment and spacing and just generally uncrappified it a tad.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Zeniel posted:

I currently going through an audio book of Dune, it's quite well done, and a lot of it's done like a radio play with numerous parts being played by different actors, although only some parts of the book are like that. Guy who plays the Baron Harkonnen is really good.

Although everyone says Harkonnen wrong, and also Chani.

The Lynch movie ('harKONen') said it differently than the syfy miniseries ('HARkonen') so one of them must be right?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

trump_wrong.gif

It's not great but it has some redeeming qualities.

Let's say it's not bad but has the misfortune to exist in the same universe as the Lynch movie so everyone can't help but perceive it as really awful.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

basic hitler posted:

Paul barely speaks in the book until he's in the desert and the exposure to the spice is causing him to have prescient visions and all of a sudden he's loving furious at his mother and ranting about the bene gesserit and the missionaria protectiva

Hah, what a PUA. What a crazy MGTOW.

e: Paul "Usul" Atreides. Muad'dibs Going Their Own Way.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

basic hitler posted:

To be fair, he was a product of insane breeding schemes, probably felt a bit bitter they intended to use him as a pawn in some big political game, hated the fact his grandpappy was a floating fat hedonistic sadist.

He was also seeing all the dangers and schemes fall into place that the bene gesserit were behind.

The BG isn't really a protagonist until Heretics, even though they're not really antagonists either.

Yeah I actually liked that part of the book, where he just flips out on Jessica and beats her at the BG's own "inferring all kinds of poo poo from microexpressions" game and tells her he can see she's pregnant.

Also, I may be misremembering, but at that point Herbert describes him as just seeing every little detail with total clarity, like when he was piloting their 'thopter through that sandstorm after they escape. It seemed like at that point in the series, prescience was a kind of ability to forecast the future from having an incredibly clear and detailed understanding of the present, and eventually it morphs into straight-up 'magic ability to see the future' in the later books and especially with Leto II.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

basic hitler posted:

It starts awakening as an extension of mentat-esque process of just observing data and drawing conclusions, yeah, but as he is increasingly exposed to spice and eventually undergoes the agony, it's magical at that point, and he sees things like Chani dying in childbirth and stuff.

Oh yeah, that reminds me that throughout Messiah he only saw a daughter and was surprised at the end when he had twins. I thought that was a nice little bit of foreshadowing that his son would be prescient and thus also shielded from Paul's prescience.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

basic hitler posted:

both ghani and leto were prescient I thought? they both avoided using the gift on purpose to avoid railroading themselves into a future like their father. Not seeing leto was foreshadowing of what leto would do with the BG breeding program and his need to merge atreides genes into the general populace.

True but I thought they decided that only Leto would go through the spice agony/water of life thing and that he didn't have the full-blown prescience before that?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
poo poo I need to reread these things

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

basic hitler posted:

Imagine being so hosed up that you kidnap your 9 year old grandson and have your family goon force feed him a substance that will potentially permanently wreck his psyche.

Imagine being Jessica and coming home after being away for so long only to find your father inside your daughter

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Oscar Wild posted:

The male prescient supersedes the female, like how Jessica and all the reverend mothers can interact with the female memories, but the men are inscrutable. At least that's how I interpret it. Men can sense men and women but women are limited in their memories. Or it is simply a plot device.

I think it's that reverend mothers can only talk to female ancestors. Abominations can talk to both (like how Alia can interact with her grandfather). Also the distinction is made between prescients (the Atreides line) and those who can recall ancestral memories (all the BG reverend mothers). Ghanima and Leto just happened to have both abilities.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

thread inspired me.

also lmao at the sheer number of Brian and KJA Dune hardcovers marked down to like $3 each

Even The Whipping Star/The Dosadi Experiment or the Jesus Incident series, which are basically off-brand Dune, are a hundred times more Dune than the KJA/BH tripe.

I also recommend The Dragon In The Sea, probably my favorite Herbert work aside from Dune.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
"Crashed on a horrible planet that's constantly trying to kill you" does sound a lot like Herbert's Jesus Incident though.

Also that book, The Dosadi Experiment and Dune all shared the theme of a very dangerous and stressful life creating powerful people out of the few who manage to survive.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

phasmid posted:

As far as women go, once again, I've heard of people who had some kind of objection but I just figure that men don't write convincing women at all - women don't often write convincing men, either.

Just because he wrote about how war causes vitality in people doesn't mean he liked war, after all. Just my two cents.

Yeah he didn't actually write women all that well, imho. He has female characters that are fantastic (Jessica, Siona, Odrade) but they're obviously not 'ordinary' women. The ones that seem more 'feminine', like Hwi Noree, are actually not very interesting characters.

Whether this is coincidence or whether it means that Herbert didn't like or understand what he saw as typical women, I have no idea. But it seems like him making the Bene Gesserit subtle, powerful, and able to rely on logic over emotion to such a profound extent implies to me that he thought ordinary women were lacking in all these qualities.

Also I think it was quite obvious he didn't like war. God Emperor has some quote like "the worst word in any language is 'soldier'." And Leto also says somewhere that he considered removing humanity's desire for chaos and battle but that unfortunately it was buried too deep in our identities and tied to too many other things.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Yeah honestly I can't imagine anyone, even when the book was written, viewing him as much better if he was the same but hosed young girls instead of young boys.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
One of the things I really loved and found thought provoking about Dune is that the Baron is clearly the bad guy and yet he and the Harkonnens are not bad so much as they are worse than everyone else. The Atreides, the Bene Gesserit, Paul's Fremen Empire, Leto II all have their share of atrocities.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
I think they even explicitly mentioned that in Heretics or Chapterhouse. I recall one of the characters saying something about 'too bad when Leto conceived the Golden Path he only ensured our survival and not our happiness.'

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Sekenr posted:

Another thing about heretics and chapterhouse is that universe became much more boring past Leto II. I get that it was his intention but doesnt make an interesting setting.

I thought the whole point was that the universe became less boring and predictable? That was his intention for humanity at large.

The Old Imperium where the stories are set seem a bit boring, almost like they returned to an older age despite some important advances in technology.

But I always understood part of the point to be that the boring old imperium, that hasn’t changed much, was just some bubble of stability and about to get its poo poo kicked in by the Honored Matres and the Scattering Tleilaxu and all other groups out there and it was adapt and evolve or die.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Currently reading messiah and it was slow at first but it's picking up, a good read

You’re in luck too because the general opinion in this thread seems to be that that’s the worst of the bunch except for those tasteless heretics that don’t like the ones after God Emperor, so if you like that one, you’ll only enjoy the series more as you go on.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I first read it when I was 14 or 15 and knew it was somethin’, even if I didn’t quite understand it all yet. Love that book.

Chapterhouse, on the other hand... eh. I think it’s really just incomplete because of Herbert’s death.

God Emperor is probably my favorite of the lot even though it’s just Herbert’s weird rantings disguised through the lens of a hideous omniscient manworm

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Sekenr posted:

Maybe I misinterpreted/forgot Leto's intentions but IMO old setting was much more fun. There were rival houses, consiracies, various centers of power such as the landsraad and what will the guild think, and what are the bene gesserit plotting etc. By the God-Emperor all if it is gone or irrelevant but at least Leto is interesting enough to make up for it. With him gone there is just Leto's uniformity and Bene Gesserit who are boring and scared shitless of doing anything interesting (accidentally having another messiah).

That was one of the fun overarching themes of Heretics and Chapterhouse, I thought. The old Imperium was full of political rivalry and conspiracy. So imagine you’re The Bene Gesserit, who have been some subtle behinds-the-scenes powerbrokers for millenia, with all their abilities devoted to spycraft and intrigue and interrogation and then all of a sudden the Honored Matres come in and are like “subtlety? What’s that oh by the way we’re melting the surface of several of your planets” and you’re thrust into an active warfare role all of a sudden.

The fun philosophical parts of the last two books to me were the BG organization and its individuals wrestling with how to do this, and how to survive in a suddenly completely chaotic universe, while still maintaining as much of their old grace and fluidity as they can.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Sekenr posted:

^^^^
Well, sure I get all that on some level but don't try to tell me that Heretics and Chapterhouse are good books :D

They’re not good gently caress you they’re great :greenangel:

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

basic hitler posted:

In God Emperor, Leto takes siona into the desert and makes her trip balls in order to avoid dying, and she sees the terrible thing, and yeah it's strongly implied to be something inhuman methodically seeking and wiping out mankind.

i've already forgotten the specific passages...

“She jerked abruptly and began to tremble like a small creature dying. He knew this experience, but could not change the smallest part of it. No ancestral presences would remain in her consciousness, but she would carry with her forever afterward the clear sights and sounds and smells. The seeking machines would be there, the smell of blood and entrails, the cowering humans in their burrows aware only that they could not escape . . . while all the time the mechanical movement approached, nearer and nearer and nearer ...louder...louder!

Everywhere she searched, it would be the same. No escape anywhere.”

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Defiance Industries posted:

Also making it arise from something besides Lord Killbot coming back for revenge makes it a cyclical result of Machine Thinking and Machine Culture rather than just there being Bad Computor who wants to kill us. The more you unpack what KJA wrote the worse it gets.

Reminder that that hack KJA had Baron Harkonnen as a young superbuff 10 and when he hosed Rev Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam she gave him some disease that turned him hyperfat, instead of his fatness being indicative of the Harkonnen decadence and hedonism.

It’s like Star Wars prequels levels of “everything you know from the originals has to have some crazy backstory intimately connected with the main characters”

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Defiance Industries posted:

He also didn't pick up that the Baron acted like a total hedonist perv goon to make people think he was dumb, because Kevin J Anderson assumes everyone is as stupid as him.

In that scene in the House Atreides or House Harkonnen or whichever prequel book, KJA has brilliant human computer Piter Devries incapacitate RM Gaius Helen Mohiam, the espionage master and living weapon trained by the Bene Gesserit. The brilliant subtle bit of intricate action that KJA apparently deems indicative of the immense mental and physical capacities of these two pinnacles of future human perfection, was to have Piter hide behind a door and taser her when she walked in god I hate KJA

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the dune encyclopedia, which isn't "canon"

More canonical than the KJA stuff

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
For extra special irony KJA should be burned atop a pyre of his own writings. Leto executed nine historians for printing bullshit. “The Sisters report that the nine were rendered unconscious, then burned on pyres of their own published works.“

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Dyna Soar posted:

at least the dune expanded universe isn't as big as the star wars one

Actually doesn’t Dune span several galaxies? Star Wars is just confined to their single lovely one.

Also did I read somewhere that aliens from other Star Wars galaxies didn’t have the Force?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Zeniel posted:

Now all I can think of is the Orange Catholic Bible being a series of Chick Tracts about the dangers of LORD CYBERTREX-8000

Really wanna see this

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Stillsuit cosplay x diaper fetishists

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
There was a part in Messiah, right before Paul got blinded by that stone burner if I recall, where he was just wandering around Arrakeen in disguise just to check things out and he overheard some lady browbeating her husband about their dirty house all “fix the seals on the door rear end in a top hat, if dust can get in moisture can get out!”

So even by Messiah things were slipping.

e: spoilers

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Do. Just realize that either 1 or 4 are probably the best. I really liked Heretics but they’re both pretty widely regarded as inferior to anything in the first 4

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
I’ll have you flogged for speaking ill of God Emperor, Frank’s crazy sociopolitical rantings thinly disguised as a scifi novel

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Remember when Alia was fighting a training killbot naked and managed to get to a higher level than even any swordmasters and Paul was worried it might kill her so he turned it off by hitting its millimeter-sized deactivation switch with a throwing knife from across the practice floor while it was wigging out at like a million miles an hour and the only reaction she had was “hm, must be Paul I don’t think anyone else could do that.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Remember, I think, in Heretics when, I think, Odrade stumbled on some ancient underground complex of Leto’s that turned out to be a spice cache and she navigated the place in complete darkness by whistling and getting her bearings with echolocation like a loving bat?