Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Sekenr posted:

The consensus is is read the first 4 and than see if you can stomach the other 2.

Yeah, I enjoyed the first four and I'm now half-way through Chapterhouse Dune. Not gonna read any more after that.

Personally I found the first book moved along swiftly despite it's size, but the sequels seemed less streamlined as they progressed. There's still a lot of fascinating world-building and interesting characters in them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

heres something i whipped up just for laughs a few years back....

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Sea Patrol: Arrakis

it kinda makes sense that future descendants of sea patrol might turn into "the fishspeakers"

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Communist Walrus posted:

Every time you buy a Dune, Brian Herbert gets a residual.

That seems so wrong

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Gom Jabbar? I barely knew her

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Duke, Leto planet

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Jake Gyllenhaal as Duncan Idaho

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Forest Whitaker as Thufir

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And I was about to suggest Dune plus Spice Jam

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

In Boston:

That's rad!

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I wanna drive a dune buggy on Arrakis

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Everybody always brings up the cat milking apparatus but what the gently caress was that little animal Rabban (or maybe Feyd) crushed up and drank with a straw, like a hosed-up juicebox?

I think Lynch called them Squoods

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Spice World

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

TRACKING FORWARD
We are moving through the open living area of a large downtown Arrakeen loft. A huge unfinished canvas, lit by standing industrial lights, dominates one wall. The furnishings are spare given the space. On the floor is the the Baron’s brilliant rug.

We hear a rumble like an approaching spice harvester. The Baron, floating in the middle of the loft, looks into the murky depths of the cavernous space.

Something huge and white hurtles towards the Baron’s head. As it roars overhead he ducks, and spins to watch it pass.

We see the backside of a naked boy in a sling suspended from a ceiling track rumbling over a canvas that lies on the floor. He is holding a paint bucket in one hand and a brush in the other, with which he flicks paint down at the canvas.

The Baron turns again as he hears running footsteps. Two young men in paint-spattered stillsuits and sneakers reach the sling shortly after it reaches the end of its track and haul it back for another push.

VOICE
I'll be with you in a minute, Mr. Harkonnen.

He rumbles by in another pass.

MAUD’DIB
All right, we'll do the blue tomorrow. Elfranco. Pedro. Help me down.

The two men help Maud’Dib out of his sling. He is naked except for leather harness straps which ring his breasts and wrap his thighs where urine and feces are processed, and give him something of a dominatrix look.

MAUD’DIB
Does the worm-sign form make you uncomfortable, Mr. Harkonnen?

BARON
Is that what that's a picture of?

MAUD’DIB
In a sense, yes. Elfranco, my robe.

My art has been commended as being strongly phallic. Which bothers some men. The word itself makes some men uncomfortable. Phallus.

BARON
Oh yeah?

something I made years ago...

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I've been waiting so long for the trailer to drop, I now posses the 'blue balls of the ibad'

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

:eyepop:

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

oh hay, I made that one centuries ago

here's another Dune themed one you might've seen:

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tUjJsNf00I

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

lol

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

e: a day late here in Australia

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Dessel posted:

Sorry for poo poo posting, I know the film has a...contentious cult film reputation that doesn't follow the source material too well but I just watched it on a whim..

What's up with the turret carousel in the 1984 film? The one with bunch of high ranking guys in a starship using controls and screens to fire below in the final battle of the film? Is it a complete rear end pull with no basis in source material? I couldn't find a single mention on Google about it either.

Help me, the turret carousel is haunting my dreams :psyduck:

heh I was thinking about that scene recently. probably another of David Lynch's neat and weird inventions he added to the film like heart-plugs, weirding modules, cat-milking machines, squoods and pugs.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

The Spice Pirates

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

looking forward to the new Dune movie, but I'll always cherish Lynch's touches like heartplugs, weirding modules and battle pugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLbNrYdRtl4

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I have a copy of The Making of Dune, by Ed Naha

when filming the sandworm puppets they had to be really careful about what angles they shot from, as they would look really phallic from most points.

I could be wrong, but I think some photos got leaked and there were concerns in the media they were making a weird sex movie.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

also LMFAO at "LARGE POSEABLE MONSTER" on the sandworm toy

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

cool short interview with Frank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZGJ3pGEuas

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

more like Mua'Dweeb... heh

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

wow they got Sean Young to do a cameo in the new dune movie!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwVZ-2WuJo4

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

that's fricken hilarious lol

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

sebmojo posted:

fair enough. dunc was more to my taste, but lynch dune has its own odd magic.

yeah this. I loved the new version and think it's superior, but there are some things about the lynch version I like better

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I thought most of the fx in this movie was excellent except the eyes of ibad

the deep blue eyes really stood out against the desaturated colour pallete of the movie and could've been done better IMHO

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

lol those fx are making me nostalgic for Lexx

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

the Fremen also gently caress without rhythm

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

currently watching the Spicediver edit of 1984 Dune... it's p good actually

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

there's plenty of cool poo poo happening in the background of Lynch's version