Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

So with the making GBS threads of our economy and the studio distribution on indefinite hold, what kind of delays are we thinking about for this?

There were re shoots planned that got cancelled, and it was on for a December release, so I wouldn't be surprised if that shifted back a couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I just finished the second book and there's nothing about Ix in there. Do they show up more in the third book? I wanna know about the machine planet!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

WarMECH posted:

Axlotl tanks are the weirdest things to come out of DUNE and that is saying a lot.

They sounds hosed up, what are they? I thought the Tlielaxu had tanks that were just like, for bringing people back to life? Is that them?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
So over the Easter bank holiday weekend, me and a few of my friends were going to go on a board gaming holiday. Since we couldn't, I said I'd set up a quiz to do over Skype, but I sorta tricked them.

When they all logged on I explained we'd be playing 'Twilight imperium' (big beefy space combat board game) and got them to choose their factions. I shared my screen, a twilight imperium image with various factions. I placed icons of them on their chosen factions, but then once they were all placed, changed the image, leaving their icons where they were, but now each sitting atop the banner of a Dune house!! The first round was to go and get their appropriate costume on, with prizes for the best. While they did that, I issued their various faction rules over WhatsApp. Part they would tell everyone as their introduction, but part they would keep a secret.

House Corrino, as emperor of the universe, has final say in all matters! (But if 3 or more people disagreed, it would trigger a coup! ((Which I didn't tell them was a bonus game, of an online version of 'coup' the board game, the winner choosing the outcome)). Also, if they and Harkonnen chums get Atreides to win the quiz, then they would win the real game! Their once per game Karama power allowed them to double the points for a round, and ask me for one answer that round.

The Harkonnen could cheat, but if caught would be sent to the pain amplifier! (They had to put their volume to max and i sent them to a site playing all star and nickleback at the same time not in sync). They had to backstab corrino and beat Atreides without corrino realising. Their once per game special power was traitors, they choose a player and I would tell harkonnen that players answers.

Fremen would win the game within the game if no one else won it. Also, any time anyone did anything musical or rhythmic on camera, that player could call out WORMSIGN! and message that player over WhatsApp a picture of Shai Halud. If the other player expressed concern, Fear, distress or otherwise noted the danger of a worm, they were wise to the ways of the desert and avoided it, otherwise they were eaten (secretly, all this revealed at the end) and couldn't win the game within the game within the game. Since Fremen are numerous, their power of stillsuits had no limit. Challenge anyone to down a glass of water quickest on camera, a Fremen win worth two points.

Ix introduced themselves as being the best as technology, etc, but secretly were the Tleilaxu impersonating Ix. They had to leave their enemy an escape, so had to be USELESS with all technology and were not allowed to pass it off as ironic. They also had to sow confusion, enough confusion resulting in what I loosely called a war of assassins (A game of werewolf / we'reAssassins). If Tlielaxu 'Assassinated' (via coup, werewolf or their karama power) each other player, they won. Their Karama was face dancer, they announced Karama, and then secretly told me their assassin and the victim. The flooding turn I would announce that a duel had been issued, and would be settled with Crysknife blaster shield. (Rock paper scissors, obv). If the assassin won, it was successful. This Karama reset whenever Tlielaxu won a quiz round.

The spacing guild are in charge of all off world transport, so whenever anyone got up to go anywhere off camera the Guild player could tell them to pay, and would win a free point. They could also spend their points to buy 3 clues a time, however I said after buying the second set of clues, they had become spice dependant, and had to be seen eating something all round, and something different each round or lose all points for that round.
Since they profit from the ongoing strife, they would win of the game went on so long that someone had to leave, it got bored.

The Atreides had to work out what everyone else was up to. They were told outright that there was a game within the game (their prescience saw it) and that they were walking into a trap. Their Karama power was to be given clues about all the plots that had gone on in a round, and was reset half way. If they could divulge all the other players plots, they would win.

The Bene Gesserit planned to create the Kwisats Haderach, and so at the start had to pick two bloodlines / houses. If one came first and the other last, they would win. They had the voice, if they told anyone SILENCE! I would mute them and also, their once per game, the trial of the box: a staring competition, with a win for the opponent doubling their points that round, but a loss scoring them zero that round.

There was an Atreides round: I have a tray of dese, but what are dese? (I showed them the covered tray, it was obviously spice)

There was a guild navigator round (geoguessr) and there was (as kind of a clue) a Tlielaxu face dancer round, where they had to go and get puppets of some description, and act out a scene. Anyone who guessed the movie got a point, and they got a point for all correct answers, unless everyone got it right, then they got zero. (So, you had to go obscure, but do it well).

In the end, a few players won but were eaten by worms, and shockingly the Bene Gesserit used their trial of the box in the final round, but threw it, blinking, to give Atreides the win, and with Harkonnen coming last, AS PER THEIR PROPHECY the Kwisats Haderach was birthed! Obviously Atreides coming first in the quiz meant they took stewardship of Arrakis, which is obviously a poisoned chalice: the prize was they have to host the next quiz.

Anyway that's my story

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Potential BFF posted:

I don't hate any of it but the Atreides armor and stillsuit desert gear in the stills really screams "this is all plastic."

I could do without the dirtbike gloves and airsoft masks.

Early pre-grading stills like this always look kinda goofball. They'll do a bunch of stuff to it in post that knowing Villeneuve will be very subtle, but will make it all just gel a lot better.

/Edit: Also, that article doesn't mention it so I imagine I'm wrong, but I'd always thought that black was better for keeping cool in the shade?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

tanglewood1420 posted:

None of the pictures are stills from footage, they are on-set publicity photographs. You can't draw any conclusions over what the colours are in them.

Sure, sorry, stills was the wrong word, but that was my point: This looks nothing like the finished film. Well I mean it looks like it, but you know.

For me, its the casting of David Dastmalchian as Piter de Vries that really blew me away. I mean, not that the rest of it isn't great, but that was just EXACTLY how I saw him, despite Brad Dourif being so striking. (I fell in love with the film before reading the book, fight me). Although I think, yeah, of all these shots it's the one of Leto fills me with a sense of giddy hype.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
People always say that Dune is unfilmable. I agree that there's a lot going on, but splitting it into multiple films always seemed like the obvious answer to me, it didn't seem that impractical.

But I've just read the second and third books, and, ok, yeah, holy poo poo. There can't be any chance he's planning to make any films beyond these two, no matter how well they do, surely? Like, basically the entire tension of the second and third books exists solely in the inner monologue of characters you couldn't possibly act convincingly. How the hell would you do the finger language signing such complicated things without dumb subtitles?

Likewise the language they conduct the coup meeting in with triple entendres, like you'd have to have them talk in English but then explain why there are subtitles without breaking the fourth wall? Never mind the content of the second book being about 3 lines long in surmation and the content of the third going completely (but justifiably) insane by the end...

I'd loving LOVE to see someone try though. You'd have to have such hubris, which I can only imagine would channel well into Dune films.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Flakey posted:

Kull wahad!

...bring the coffee?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Sekenr posted:

I wish I could get away with wearing boots and pants like that in day to day situations.

Take advantage of the lockdown!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The rules for the expansion for the Dune boardgame are up online, which is super exciting for those of us that play and love it, but even if you have zero interest in it, you gotta admit that the final page is INCREDIBLY Dune:

https://www.gf9.com/Portals/0/Documents/GF9/IxianAndTleilaxuRulebook.pdf

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Not really much, but, the designers of the boardgame did a twitch stream the other day, and said that they'd been shown shorts for the new movie which were supposed to be for cons and the like. They didn't really say anything about what it looked like, so the only news was that said shorts exist, but the subtle intonation they used implied that the guild navigator is a fool and that the cinematography is banging, although if you REALLY listened carefully and watched their fingers, you could see that what they actually wanted to say was "what's happening, what is Twitch?"

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

The new art is so so so bad, and the instruction text includes 'writing' from @duneauthor failson. Otoh it is the best boardgame.

All the art for the leaders is all poo poo, but it was in the main game? Or do you mean this update vs '79 one? It was poo poo in that too, but I guess at least it has its odd 70s charm. It's SO annoying that they've got failson as an advisor, though I obviously can't blame them, but it means there's no Scytale which is basically criminal. I guess Malky and Hwi are out of the question (I'm only on book 4 don't hurt me if there are better Ixian candidates) but I'm guessing all these Ix characters are failson originals (do not steal) as well?

It is indeed, the best boardgame. It was so good on the livestream, someone says like "Don't you think this new card is overpowered?". Was entirely ready for some spiel like "Well we extensively playtested it and found that statistically blah blah blah". Instead one of the super oldschool give-no fucks OG designers is just like, "....Yeah? It's Dune! It isn't fair!" Which was just.. SO refreshing to hear.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

No, I mean the traitor token art in this sucks compared to the '79 verson.

Yeah, I know it, I just don't rate it? It's VERY 70's-looking-people's faces. I find it hugely unappealing. Obv to each their own. I think the crucial part is we agree the boardgame is the game BEYOND the game.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

mennoknight posted:

but who is GENTLE enough to be GENTLE HWI

I feel like Emily Browning would be good

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Theres actually a place in Angola called Melanje!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

THE BAR posted:

Dunno! Discworld novels tend to go for a tenner?

I don't read very varied. :shobon:

...?!?! There's a garden center near us does softbacks for 50p and hardbacks a quid, then there's a bargain bucket thats 10p a book? There's an Oxfam on the high street that only sells books, only for a quid? Down in Brighton there was a great second hand bookstore that would frequently have signed first editions for next to nothing.

How are you paying five pounds for a second hand Discworld book?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda weird that Dune style shields tend to make it into video games and low-budget sci-fi as excuses for not wearing spacesuits/armour all the time.

I learnt from this very thread that they were a common trope in early sci-fi as an excuse for people having swords, I think it's always been a kind of get out of jail free card for sci-fi stylists since day one.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Defiance Industries posted:

Do you think BG training would let you make your farts smell however you wanted, or is the external chemistry going to limit your options?

I think as long as you wanted them to smell like cinnamon you'd be set

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I really don't know what you guys were on about, I found the content of this book to be absolutely essential, something to be enjoyed over and over again that I could really never do without?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

D. Ebdrup posted:

Somehow, this ended up in the cursed images thread:

I guess because the moderation in that thread is harsher than any other thread on the forums, surviving and thriving there would breed an incredibly resilient breed of poster.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

They are supposed to be laser tigers, which could have easily taken down the twins. Some wires got crossed and they brought in Lazatigers instead and well we all saw how that worked out

What do you mean, the Tigers did kill poor Leto?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Phlegmish posted:

Giant Worm: I'm the giant worm that makes all of the rules!

For some reason this made me giggle uncontrollably!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Looks like Tenet is scheduled for release in US on Labor Day, 1 week after international release, just in time for the entire US economy to collapse. Hard for me to imagine Dune making December at this point but the longer they wait the more money they lose. Studio system is just sitting there with its head in the sand hoping the real world doesn't happen. The big budget blockbuster cinema of the last 20 years is on the verge of dying harder than the studio system collapse of the 70s literally overnight, there's just no way to reliably continue the model of trying for huge opening week box crowd returns, that financial model has breathed its last breath for years to come. atp studios and distributors are basically going to have to commit to scheduling film runs to extend out 6 months like back in the old days, and poo poo, might as well bring back drive-ins while they're at it. It's gonna get wild, they're gonna have to take way greater risks with content because the youth audience that's been lapping up PG13 marvel trash like candy will be too broke to even remotely bother with theaters.

James Bond might flop. Like, that seems loving crazy to me. And super sad for a bunch of reasons. I was happy to see when we went to the cinema last week (in England) to a showing of Interstellar and a showing of The Dark Knight that both were more full than I'd have expected for reruns, let alone during lockdown, but y'know, my sample size of 'one cinema' isn't exactly indicative.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

pnumoman posted:

I pretty much agree except I do kinda like all of them. I like the ones past 3 because they're a crapshoot of weird. And all of them definitely straight up inferior to 1.

I read 1 - 5 in like 5 weeks, and then I've been on 6 for months, because its just... Like, I feel like there's so much going on that I've already missed important stuff and in I'm a couple of chapters in and I can't be bothered to re read it, but it's been so long now I'll have to.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Chalamet said 'before September' which I think more and more meant 'Aug 31st', makes sense since it's a Bank Holiday in a few countries, and national trail mix day in the USA.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

THE BAR posted:

I much prefer the one on the right, as late-stage Sardaukar are practically nouveau riche, and everyone's fear of their supposed combat prowess means they get to show off their wealth and status, rather than be clad in... practical(?) battle attire.

I think it's kind of important as well that they look incredibly pompous, because that's part of the trick, that the best of the best on Selusa Secondus can rise above and become Sardukar and have this 'lavish' lifestyle, that's really just being cannon fodder for the Emperor in his cryptic children-murdering machinations. Like, they SHOULD look like a poor idiots idea of a hugely successful person.

/edit:

Eau de MacGowan posted:

imagine if those guys showed up in the last ten minutes of this brutalist dune, it would own so hard, the fremen and everyone wearing grey rags and hard iron just completely :wtc:

Yeah, and so much this, in the Lynch film, you don't really get the sense that they're SUPER ELITE CADRE, you'd be utterly forgiven for thinking they were just 'Harkonnen troops'. Considering they're kind of the prime motivation for the events of the book (in that the Emperor catches wind the Atreides 'might' be able to train some troops that almost match them in battle) they get super sidelined, and as soon as they show up they just get utterly chumped immediately.

/edit edit: I keep looking at it, and yeah it just would be PERFECT wouldn't it. Goddamn it. Jodorowsky's Dune really is SUCH a shame.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 1, 2020

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Horsebanger posted:

Wouldn't the Sardaukar be dressed as Harkonnen troops if they are fighting the D U N C ?

Yeah, that was the plot, set up the rivalry and then send in ELITE troops under the disguise so that no one suspected the Emperor. But so even that get's washed over in the film, you never see them apart from in Harkonnen duds, so there's basically no 'Sardaukar' in the movie, except conceptually, and very vaguely at that. It's all kind of thrown away, which seems so weird to me because it's such an important part of the plot?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Just got back from seeing Tenet, no loving Dunc anywhere. Livid.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Just caught the trailer before Tenet. IT WAS HYPE AS HELL. The score was loving cool, like I expected to like it, but I was k super into it. KULL. loving. WAHAD. Beefswelling achieved.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's only 09/06 so what you saw was just the trailer for the real trailer :colbert:

AND I AM STIRRED

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I guess they're not telling us what time the trailer drops because the true fans would know anyway.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Is this a prescience thing?

Oh Edric.

(Yes)

!Klams fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 9, 2020

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
SIX MINUTES, gently caress

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I really like the personal shields! I think while it does kind of look similar to the Lynch film from this trailer, you would be batshit insane to make a trailer for this that wasn't 90% shots of the ridiculously beautiful open desert and HUGE real Arrakeen palace like this is, and tbh it's quite hard to not have a desert look similar to another desert. I think it's all the other scenes that are more likely to set it apart, the few of those that we got are real nice and indicative of great stuff. Shai Halud is fuckin boss af. Dare I say, beefswelling?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i was under the assumption that to make it work as a movie villeneuve is splitting it up, with the first film ending with paul and jessica escaping into the desert spoiler alert

I suspect that it's going to end with the Fremen accepting Paul as the Kwisatz Haderach, surely? Like that's only a little bit later and a much more 'ending' ending?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Ingmar terdman posted:

We all know its going to be timothee in a blonde wig

e: if they are intentionally keeping it secret they could film actor x in the appropriate baron scene pretty quietly I would guess. Just dont know why. I doubt for a few reasons that they would fully merge feyd and rabban

Yeah, I feel like Feyd has just been left out of this film, which as mentioned would be totally competent. However, I do think it's fun to entertain the notion that it's a casting so outrageous they can't reveal it yet. Like, Banksy. Or, Baron Trump! It's much harder to think of crazy jodorowskyesque Feyds than it is Emperors though. That's a fun game. (I'm currently on Hayao Miyazaki).

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

kiimo posted:

Ideal Feyd

....Oh yeah. That's annoying, now I can only be upset when it isn't him.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I do think as well there's an element of, language is malleable and changes. To I suspect 'most' people in the west, Jihad is going to imply some level of terrorism at the least and possibly suicide bombing at the extreme end. And, you can't really say "No no, you've got the word wrong" because that IS the only context they'd have heard it used ever, and would have used it themselves, and to each other, in that context. That is what that word would mean to them. Like it or not, that means it wouldn't be telling quite the right story, where 'Crusade' would actually be slightly more accurate. Language is determined by common usage, and if the word has changed since the book existed, that's not a 're imagining' of the book.

I'm kinda playing devils advocate here, it's not like I think Jihad should have been cut, I just don't think its pandering or 'wussing out' to not use a highly charged word that will suggest an incorrect reading of the plot. Like I think if there was some old book made into a film that used 'Wench' to mean female child in the book like it's archaic meaning, or like 'hussy' to refer to a housewife, it would totally make sense not to use it in the film, because it would sound like it was saying something it wasn't. It would be weird to keep it in. I feel like it's probably more along those lines, than any kind of fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Oh GOD, any time anyone talks about a shot in the trailer they mention something I hadn't noticed!

Plus, yes, that salute is SO COOL.