Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was warching the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEYTjTUZ_w4[/video]Phelous review of Wabuu (I'm super high) and I just can't figure out HOW this was made. I was trying to think of how you could make something like this ion purpose and it is UNGODLY COMPLEX. You have a "story" written by a toddler telling a story. You create an animation based around the story but that doesn't explain the parts of the animation that isn't in the story. you can't take animation and write a story around it because that doesn't explain the pasrts of the story that's not in the animation (the voice overs). If it's a mistranslated folks tale, or a rip off of a then popular Disney animation) why does the animation not match the stoiry? My only other theory is that you could take a toddlers story and translate it through seven languages. MAYBE that would work? AND THEY DID THAT poo poo BY ACCIDENT TWENTY YEARS AGO!

So how? What is the real story (or most plausible theory) about how something so perfectly flawed could have actually happened??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I clicked that link and lasted about 3 seconds of watching / listening to that man.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Apparently the animation "company" was a German husband and wife who make knockoff animations in the 90s. Weirdly enough a lot of their films were originally only officially released in English on Playstation with the animations packaged with lovely minigames.
http://mockbuster.wikia.com/wiki/Dingo_Pictures

You can find a lot of the English dubs on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4sMwSWoSJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brLqiYj5lQw

Edit: they're probably best known for this these days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6EoRBvdVPQ
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/yee

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 10, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Why would you give this man views

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Why would you give this man views
Because Dingo Pictures are truly wonderful. A light in a dark world. *bobs head rapidly, indicating humor*

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Because Dingo Pictures are truly wonderful. A light in a dark world. *bobs head rapidly, indicating humor*

Oh most definitely, but this youtube review man is the very opposite of that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Oh most definitely, but this youtube review man is the very opposite of that.
Oh no doubt, gently caress that guy

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently the animation "company" was a German husband and wife who make knockoff animations in the 90s. Weirdly enough a lot of their films were originally only officially released in English on Playstation with the animations packaged with lovely minigames.
http://mockbuster.wikia.com/wiki/Dingo_Pictures

You can find a lot of the English dubs on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4sMwSWoSJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brLqiYj5lQw

Edit: they're probably best known for this these days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6EoRBvdVPQ
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/yee

I understand why things are the way they are: non English speakers reading phonetically , cheap reused cells the usual "budget saving" mess but the question is how are these so uniquely BAD. The animation is missing parts of the story and the story is missing animation How do you take the footage and edit in the voices without realizing that there are scenes of characters talking that they don't have voices for, or that the story makes no sense. Basically it takes such a Herculean sequence of just not caring that I can't even believe these exist. The final editor had to care enough to get the words in the right place but only, like, 79% of the time? Like every single part of the production only had one draft.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Duke Igthorn posted:

I understand why things are the way they are: non English speakers reading phonetically , cheap reused cells the usual "budget saving" mess but the question is how are these so uniquely BAD. The animation is missing parts of the story and the story is missing animation How do you take the footage and edit in the voices without realizing that there are scenes of characters talking that they don't have voices for, or that the story makes no sense. Basically it takes such a Herculean sequence of just not caring that I can't even believe these exist. The final editor had to care enough to get the words in the right place but only, like, 79% of the time? Like every single part of the production only had one draft.

There's a whole bunch of different ways it can happen:
- Someone focused way too hard on the dream of making an animated film and ignored the reality
- Someone vastly overestimated their own talent / never realised how little talent they actually had
- Someone cut way too many corners to meet a deadline/budget
- Someone was way better at business than they were at creating art
- Someone got way more hung up on the effort they put in than the result that came out (AKA "I gave it everything I had therefore I deserve to win")

Often it's a combination of several of those factors, sometimes by an individual and sometimes as a group effort, sometimes by an 'ideas person' who doesn't attract sufficiently talented artists to realise their dream.

I knew one guy back in the 90s who was making his own smallpress comics and they were really loving terrible. He was in his 30s but the comics looked like they were written and drawn by a 12 year old and it was absolutely obvious to everyone but him. Most of the other local smallpress comicbook creators just ignored him but a few took pity and tried to encourage him so he was always turning up to meets and trying to set up collaborative projects and he even had big plans on running his own comicbook publishing label. I lost track of him but spotted him again a decade later where he was still creating the same absolutely awful comics and he'd even hired a table at the local Comic-con convention and was trying to compete with professional artists. I later learned that he had dyslexia and I think some kind of autism and he really genuinely couldn't see any difference between his comics and the stuff that was being published by Marvel and DC and he never understood why he couldn't break into the big time.

I know another guy through a friend of a friend who's a middleaged Dad and his teenaged kids had started a band with some friends and he went absolutely apeshit crazy managing them. He spent tens of thousands of dollars turning his garage into a recording studio and bought new instruments for all the band members and he booked them a whole series of gigs at actual venues and weddings and entered them into a whole bunch of 'battle of the bands' competitions and went totally overboard promoting them on Facebook and other social media even though the kids could barely play their way through an entire song. If I was being really really generous I'd say that they were somewhat average but this guy thought he was going to be the next Colonel Tom Parker and he actually made his children sign a contract agreeing that he had exclusive managerial rights over them.

For every successful artist that you've heard of there's a ton of struggling failed artists who never had what it takes to make it. Sometimes they don't realise that they were doomed to fail and they just keep going and somehow get an entire film completed and out into the public sphere and the results are hilariously awful.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 10, 2017

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Duke Igthorn posted:

I was warching the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEYTjTUZ_w4[/video]Phelous review

This Phelous guy is the most irritating youtuber I've ever seen.

You've been dethroned MovieBob

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

this is an adult

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

this is an adult

Why do all these reviewers feel the need to surround themselves with piles of toys in their reviews? I see that poo poo all the time.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
Goddamn this guy is irritating.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

Yaws posted:

Why do all these reviewers feel the need to surround themselves with piles of toys in their reviews? I see that poo poo all the time.

manchildren too poor or saddled with responsibility to be able to purchase toys love to be able to live vicariously through the illusory fantasy of youtube geek celebrities

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I knew one guy back in the 90s who was making his own smallpress comics and they were really loving terrible. He was in his 30s but the comics looked like they were written and drawn by a 12 year old and it was absolutely obvious to everyone but him. Most of the other local smallpress comicbook creators just ignored him but a few took pity and tried to encourage him so he was always turning up to meets and trying to set up collaborative projects and he even had big plans on running his own comicbook publishing label. I lost track of him but spotted him again a decade later where he was still creating the same absolutely awful comics and he'd even hired a table at the local Comic-con convention and was trying to compete with professional artists. I later learned that he had dyslexia and I think some kind of autism and he really genuinely couldn't see any difference between his comics and the stuff that was being published by Marvel and DC and he never understood why he couldn't break into the big time.

I see a different incarnation of this guy every year when I go to the local comic con.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Is this guy okay

Like I understand that he's doing a bit and all but I'm legitimately worried about what he's doing with his eyes all the time. That can't be comfortable to maintain

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

this is an adult

strongly disagree

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Yaws posted:

The kinds of people who define their lives by merchandise are the kinds who want epeen validation, akin to RP1

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Yaws posted:

Sometimes it would just be something a bit more interesting then a blank wall. You see it in other movie reviews with shelves of DVD's or just bunch of movie posters. With politics YouTubers it will often be book case full of books.

In this case it looks pretty garbage, and obviously staged, where as when this is done well it usually just looks natural.

...and yeah the idea works a hell of a lot better with DVD's, records, or books. It would probably be pretty hard to actually make all the junk in his background look good.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
They call themselves Phoenix Games now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I really liked this guy's Resident Evil reviews since they were extremely thorough and really hammered home how loving bad the scriptwriting was, especially for the last two. Now all he does is review these genuinely loving awful animated things constantly, like he's up to 40 of them and none of them are worth the effort at all.

• Locked thread