Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

STAC Goat posted:

Like, ok... there aren't giant bug people who eat children who run things. Its just a ring of powerful child abductors (and rapists?) who are into weird bug-play rave stuff.
Except for whatever was in those big mascot costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tiggum posted:

Except for whatever was in those big mascot costumes.

Oh yeah, there's that. Because those things with the giant alien penises bled out the same stuff the imaginary friends did... and there's still whatever the gently caress is going on with Mikey and his demonic possession and Blue's "password."

Like, I've effectively given up trying to understand what the gently caress is going on in this show and I'm just hanging on for dear life.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Oh yeah, there's that. Because those things with the giant alien penises bled out the same stuff the imaginary friends did... and there's still whatever the gently caress is going on with Mikey and his demonic possession and Blue's "password."

Like, I've effectively given up trying to understand what the gently caress is going on in this show and I'm just hanging on for dear life.

This is the best way to approach this show, because what the hell did I just watch?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
This is a good show and all but boy they went a little heavy with coding the villainous pedophile as gay, huh? Like in a show that's usually so weird and surprising it feels like they could have done something more interesting with the dude who runs a child abduction and grooming ring when he's outside of the bug costume than have him be a mincing queen in makeup making Judy Garland references like it's still the 80s or something.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Mann posted:

This is a good show and all but boy they went a little heavy with coding the villainous pedophile as gay, huh? Like in a show that's usually so weird and surprising it feels like they could have done something more interesting with the dude who runs a child abduction and grooming ring when he's outside of the bug costume than have him be a mincing queen in makeup making Judy Garland references like it's still the 80s or something.

I just figured he was a self-centered actor with too much money and a massive ego.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Norwegian Rudo posted:

I follow a ton of entertainment news and I haven't heard anything even remotely like this even hinted at. Unless you've got something to back it up I'm going to call bullshit.

Yeah, that does sound unlikely. British TV can barely support it's own shows without American/Canadian/European co-funding.

I think probably the most likely reason so many British actors get the good parts is partly an economic one - they work at a cheaper rate than big name US stars, the pay-off being that it's usually a massive career boost, stepping stone to movie work, etc.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mostly chalk it up to "if you can pull off an accent you're in", and British actors seem way better at that than American ones.

I also always though there was something about British actors having their roots in stage making them more versatile and skilled vs American actors having their roots in modeling and commercials. But that's probably a sweeping generalization.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

That’s a pretty crass thing to say. Good screen actors are good screen actors; British actors who break through in America just happen to have more stage actors in their ranks because they have a much bigger theater culture (esp dramatic theater) in relation to their screen one.

Happy has two great stage actors in Ritchie Coster (Blue), who is extremely British and one of the nicest guys I’ve ever worked with and Chris Cantwell (Sonny Shine), who is three times Tony-nommed and is Augie on Waitress on Broadway and is also a really tremendous guy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, like I said its probably a stupid sweeping generalization. England has commercials and model ads too. Like I always formed it as "English actors always seem to be able to sing and do comedy" but there's plenty of American actors who can do that too and plenty of English actors who can't. Its a dumb stereotype/assumption.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It’s kinda a confirmation bias where you notice British actors because there are comparatively fewer of them and they’re noticeably good because our industry poaches the best ones with rates that UK productions can’t match.

As far as where American actors come from, they come from other movies and shows. In NYC alone this past summer, there were more than 80 projects filming simultaneously. That’s not including LA, Atlanta, nor Louisiana. US shows also have longer shooting schedules. Your average hour-long, 22-26 episode drama films essentially year-round, whereas British shows top out at 10-ep seasons (usu 6 or 8)

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I've been enjoying this a lot, but there's going to be another season?
Please tell me they're only doing a 2 season thing

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Idk if it came across, but smoothie’s dildo is canonically ceramic

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm not sure what I even experienced in the most recent intro especially the intro scene.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Firmly into the realm of the supernatural now. holy poo poo wtf

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, it was probably pretty supernatural around the time we established Happy was real or Mikey was "alive" and possessed with something.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the torture scene with Smoothie was something else....

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

theflyingexecutive posted:

Idk if it came across, but smoothie’s dildo is canonically ceramic

But I wasn't curious!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/happy-renewed-season-2-at-syfy-1079836

gently caress yes.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

So many of the shots during the Smoothie torture scene were hilarious, but my favorite was when he starts ranting at Sax and the top of his bare rear end is sticking up from the bottom of the screen

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I had Law & Order SVU on in the background the other day and Patrick Fischler (Smoothie) turned up as a rando suspect in the latter act of the show :haw: Although it was from 2012 and I guess Meloni had left the show by that point.

The torture scene was so over the top it overflowed back around into being awesome. I was giggling uncontrollably when Mars the Bringer of War started playing and Meloni's facial expressions were just perfect from classroom attack to the end with, "Get it out of me." Hopefully Smoothie is kept around in some capacity for the next season.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Fabulousity posted:

The torture scene was so over the top it overflowed back around into being awesome. I was giggling uncontrollably when Mars the Bringer of War started playing and Meloni's facial expressions were just perfect from classroom attack to the end with, "Get it out of me." Hopefully Smoothie is kept around in some capacity for the next season.

The way they showed it, he was shot in the side of the head. For TV, that's pretty survivable. Not saying he will be, but unless someone walks over and puts a few more rounds into him he could come back with an eyepatch.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Something a little interesting, but Happy finds Hailey's box and the kids, but he doesn't talk to Hailey when he does. Hailey was already waivering in her belief in being saved and that her imaginary friend would help, so maybe Happy is no longer her IF, but instead Sax's?

Or they wanted a stronger reunion impact later at the end of the 8th episode.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

JossiRossi posted:

Something a little interesting, but Happy finds Hailey's box and the kids, but he doesn't talk to Hailey when he does. Hailey was already waivering in her belief in being saved and that her imaginary friend would help, so maybe Happy is no longer her IF, but instead Sax's?

But Hailey wasn't there? She had already been stolen away by Dirty Santa.

I do agree that the likely ending is either that she can't see Happy anymore, or that she says Sax needs him more.

Norwegian Rudo fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 31, 2018

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
Those familiar with the comic, how long might this series run? Have we met all the main players or is this just one arc?

I'm really enjoying it.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

But Hailey wasn't there? She had already been stolen away by Dirty Santa.

I do agree that the likely ending is either that she can't see Happy anymore, or that she says Sax needs him more.

Happy found Hailey's box before they were loaded on the truck, and that seemed to be intercut around the time with the kids being loaded up.

Hailey wasn't re-kidnapped by garbage Santa until after the truck left, he killed the driver to take Hailey away.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Having not read The graphic novel, is it self contained as the Santa/mob/rescue daughter storyline? Or did it keep going past that?

I’m curious if S2 is going into original material.

And holy crap, Blue’s sadistic little poo poo of a son was slaying me during episodes either 5 and 6 or 6 and 7 (caught up on four episodes the other day) the look on his face when the chainsaw accident happens and then Nick has him strapped to his back as a human shield and he’s firing air guns.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The show has already expanded greatly on the original comic. It's basically just Happy finds Nick, Nick finds Santa.

Season 2 will (comic spoilers) will probably have to do some pretty different stuff on account of Nick dying of a heart attack after saving Hailey.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Meloni was in a short lived sitcom that was fairly terrible except for every time he was on screen.

This is WAAAAAAAY better, I was just adding to the discussion.

I was afraid that Happy was going to be really annoying and I'm glad I was wrong. I never want this show to end. : (

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Man, that was a very good ending. Very sweet/emotional and a great payoff

Without reading your spoiler, if I were to read the Happy! comic now, would I spoiled on anything big for whatever S2 brings with it?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Postal Parcel posted:

Man, that was a very good ending. Very sweet/emotional and a great payoff

Without reading your spoiler, if I were to read the Happy! comic now, would I spoiled on anything big for whatever S2 brings with it?

I think there's really only one thing left from the comic that I expect to see in the show, Happy bringing the Imaginary Friend army to fight evil Santa.

Otherwise I think the comic is a fairly self contained narrative and season 2 will be all new material.

Edit - Didn't realize season finale was tonight so this spoiler may or may not have happened.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I was really hoping that Nick would have a reaction shot during the imaginary friend torture scene. Just a look of complete disbelief at what he was seeing.

I can't wait to see what they do for season 2. I am 100% down for Nick vs crazy demonic possession password or whatever the gently caress.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I think that last episode was probably the least good one of the series. It was fine, I guess, but I was hoping for more of an escalation at the end and that part pretty much happened in the penultimate episode.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I can't wait to see what they do for season 2. I am 100% down for Nick vs crazy demonic possession password or whatever the gently caress.
I just hope Blue keeps his weird mannerisms while possessed (or whatever).

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
My big fear for Season 2 is that now that Happy is working for Nick, he's going to start taking on Nick's mannerisms and sensibilities and become little Pegasus Deadpool, especially given how his last lines were telling Nick to freshen up with some cocaine. Cutesy things becoming adult and subversive is a hard line to walk without it becoming played out. I was fine with it happening in this season, as Happy's deviant behavior was either accidental (cocaine) or in the service of Haley (killing and torturing other imaginary friends) but if Season 2 picks up with the gang all safe and Happy being the Bad Idea Bears from Avenue Q, I'm gonna feel a little lied to.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Brilliant. Brilliant briolliant brilliant. Holy poo poo. Pitch perfect in every style while seemlessly blending two different styles into onne scene. The drama and the geniune streuggle toner pasired with just giving Sax pills and booze and he jumps up like popeye, the scene they gave Blue right before his downfall that gives him sytmpathy!! At the VERY LAST GOD drat SECOND they gave him enough pathos to erase an entire season of hate! If even for a second where we thought "oh no is Blue dead??" WE JUST SPENT 8 EPISODES HOPING FOR THAT TO HAPPEN!

Guy Mann posted:

I thought he came off more of a symbol of the "pansexual 80's hairband sex orgy" thing. It fits the theme of the rest of the show: he's one thing comprised of two opposite things: he's a childrens performer in the style of an 80's rocker. And 80's rockers make us think of the wild cocaine orgies with groupies of all sexes just in a big old pile o the back of a pink stretch limo. He's not "gay" he's an 80's hairbamd rocker, and everyone's image of an 80's hairband rocker is a wildly colorful david lee roth WOOOing in the back of a stretch limo in rainbow stretch tights with a bikikni babe on both arms. Anything goes. ANYTHING. And they went through groupies by the dozen.
And who.
Are griuopies.
For chgildrens performers.

I understand your point, that the 80's image was and is a target for homophobic slurs and making an image that people assossiate with homosexuality the villian who preys on children preys on a bigotted homophobic fears already established is lazy writing, they should have done that work insterad of just winking and nudging the viewer as if to say "Eh? Eh? YOU know the type." *wink*. And I agree, I totally afree. BUT, BUT I will say, what they did do, though morally repulsive and lazy writing, is ASTONISHING.

I'm not saying I agree with it. I'm saying that if your joke has a slave in it it drat WELL better be funny.

Ok, what follows is JUST speculation. JuST. But just in case I'm right and someone accuses me of spoiliong:
So here's my theory: the thing that jumps bodies isn't a demon, that's too obvious BUT it does present itself as a demon. It wans to stay on Earth but must jump into a mortal body with a mortal lifespan. It's been oin Earth long enough that it effectively RUNS the god drat world. HE made the desiconsa, HE decided war or not, HE was the money and the power behind EVERYTHING.
But, it quickly learned that anytime he tried to be a king ir tyrant he got attacked and killed and had to start all over again. So, instead of King, he became COURT accountant. The man in charge of the money but, alas, not only do they not live a long life eiother they live a very poor life. He then tried to be the bank but there's no clear line of sucession. so he tried the mob and hit the nail on the head. If you're big enough and scary enough you'll be in charge or just take it over if you die early and have to get into another body. Eventually he became so big, and so bad, that 99% of his staff didn't know who they were working for and his name was a rumor becausew he was so brutal, so psycophathic, so loving terrible in hisd climb to the top that NO ONNE would EVER cross him. And, every time a Don dies the NEW Don, the one who "Got the password" WILL so brutal, so psycophathic, so loving terrible that NO ONNE would EVER cross him. And that's what he had to do to get where he was. Kill. Over ad over, all ther way top the topp, over and ober, countless years, countless lives. THATS the vision the new host sees, it still has all those memories!! Holy poo poo it must be so loving tormented BUT whatever that is, is nothing compared to the pain of where it comes from. Hell. So the demon does it, every tiome. Over. And over. creating his own hell.
And the Sonny Shine? He's a priest.
See it is a demon or whastever and it can only be klilled with his real name and the priests guard the true name. The demon can't KILL the priests because he needs the name for some reason and, one day, tghe current holder of the name made the great and powerful Don a deal give me whatever I want or I'll use the word. The Demon can't kill the priest, he has to do whatever the priest says. So now the priest is secreterly contrroling the entire world through the most powerful mob boss on the planet and him and the other priests live endlessly hideously hedonistic lives culminating in a christma eve tradition of killing and eating children that got more and more elaborate a ritual as time went on always using the mobster next in line to be the Don in order to train him to submit to the priests so they won't try anything when THEY are Don. Yet anoter link in the "the only thing a man has is his word" theme

Anyway that'smy theorey. The show is just briolliant.
The rape scene is brilliant commentary disguised as a homophobic joke: they build it iu[p. They BUILD IT! They so far over the top cartoonishly build it up, it happens and. Nothing. THERE IS NO PUNCHLINE BECAUSE IT'S NOT A loving JOKE. There's no change in anything, theshow keeps going, life goes ion, it's no big deal it's pure refreshing to see such a progressive viewpointr in a televionsion show. Hey, there's nothiung "wromg" abot being gay. It'sa just another way to be. There's no reason to be afraid"

I'm loving with you, I'm high as gently caress and even I know it was a "haha buttsex" joke. I still stand by the 80's hgairband thing, they're either not aware that their laughter stems from homophobic places or in denial. both are understandable in a way, but, again, I'm not saiung I agree with it, I'm just it's done EXTREEMELY well. It'sa a loving fantastic slave joke.

In the Santa versus Sax fight Sax drps gis fists and says "What the gently caress?" when he sees santa's face. THATS how Santa gains the uipper hamd! HA! That's so loving stupid and it's basically a background joke they don't even mic.

There wasa BIG gently caress up thouigh, actually one smalkl one and one big one.
The small one is the imaginary friend interogation scene is pointless. A seasoned detexctive and street wise wise Sax would haver known to just go back to where Santa lives. I mean, they were there earlier. The fix is simple. Have Happy suggest they go bak to Santa's lair. Sax will say "Nah, the cops have been all over there there's no place to keep a kjid. It's just an old, gutted department store."
And Happy would be all dejected and say "So you found the Christmas door huh?"
And Nick is all "'Christmas Door'?" smasdh cut to them standuing in front of a bare wall that swings open with a secret latch to reveal Christmas Door.

TYhe BIG one is the Sock. Ity was a pitch perfect Samta Death. Pitch perfect. BUT The Sock should have gotten a speech. He should have driven home the "I know I abandones youy" theme. It should have been there instead of having Happy give that poinltess interogatio scene. That entire scene is pointless, we've already established that Happy will do anything for Hailey, after seeiong him kill an imaginary friend a extremely weghtless torture scene gains us nortghinbg. So do that, get rid of that scene and moves the dramatic speech and message to right before the villain;s comeupance, also gfives you a sudden tragic character that reinforces the "hero sacrifices himself" theme. Santa should have been about to win when Sock stops him and gives him a speech abouty trust and love and abandonment. The imaginary friend SHULD have been there for him, that's why they exist. It could be used as a tense scene right before he gets shot. Right after the shot and right before it its Santa the Sock gets a tearful goodbye line and Santa gets a second of absoulte, terrifying clarity abourt whyat he is and what he does like Blue had earlier making his death satisfying in two ways: we're releaved the ad guy ios dead and won't torment tyhe sad, scared, powerless person he is deep deep down (avoiding the same fate as the Demon) or the main characters we care about.they serioously missed an oppurtuinint there.

I don't see how it plays out in the future. You can't go back to that "nothing let to l;ose" angle. I loive the abvious "Hey we got a sequa" emding. I love the scenes of sax doing pratfalls or mugging in a very very serious tone. I'm still impressed by the effort and variety and seamless blending of genres tones, writibhng type. It's brilliant.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

...So anyways, where can we go to get those awesome Nick Sax scarves?

A good finish. Chris Meloni hauls the show. Don't get me wrong, all the live actors involved were fantastic from Hailey to her mom to Meredith to Smoothie to everyone. Great work for the crew also even if the photography guys had a Christmas light bokeh hard-on they managed it well enough. My only minor issue is with Happy himself: He's not bad, he's just sorta "Ok, he's there". Patton Oswalt did a good job but I wonder if someone else would've been better, especially with what a knock-out-of-the-park casting Meloni turned out to be. I can imagine a more frenetic Harland Williams doing a better job.

I'm guessing for season two Blue gets out and then all hell breaks loose. It'd be nice to see Meredith finally take down Sonny Shine but I'm not sure how they'd work that cleanly into a new season. Trash Santa is dead, Blue is in jail, and going after Sonny Shine would turn the whole thing into a procedural like LW:SVU without some crazy rear end out-of-left-field hook that brings him back into the story unexpectedly. If that happens please, please, please give us a Mariska Hargitay cameo.

The next Emerald City Comic Con with security trying to figure out if a person is playing Nick Sax or is legitimately a murderous hobo should be fun. Doubly so for anyone trying to pull off Trash Santa.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 2, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The TV IV › Happy! "Hocus Pocus Motherfucker!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Duke Igthorn posted:

There wasa BIG gently caress up thouigh, actually one smalkl one and one big one.
The small one is the imaginary friend interogation scene is pointless. A seasoned detexctive and street wise wise Sax would haver known to just go back to where Santa lives.

I've seen several people say this -- that the sock interrogation didn't give the protagonists a lead -- but that's not the case. The Sock provided Happy and Sax with the knowledge that the lair was connected to a series of tunnels which lead to a second deeper location where the Very Bad Santa was hiding out. He also told them the combination code to get into the tunnels.

So, uh, it did serve a narrative point.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've seen several people say this -- that the sock interrogation didn't give the protagonists a lead -- but that's not the case. The Sock provided Happy and Sax with the knowledge that the lair was connected to a series of tunnels which lead to a second deeper location where the Very Bad Santa was hiding out. He also told them the combination code to get into the tunnels.

So, uh, it did serve a narrative point.

You're confusing "script" with "narrative" first off but second yeah, I know that that's how they got the info but they didn't establish that these were overlooked things,, that they had searched Santa's House or, worse yet, establishes that they didn't even look around the god drat place where the evil Santa lives even after establishing that he steals children, the door is gigantic and obvious and certainly wouldn't have been overlooked by a desperate father searching for his child in what he's become aware is a gigantic ring of child thievery that's been going on for who knows how long. As it's presented they just didn't think "Oh maybe he's going back to his lair" which, being such a self aware show, they should know is both a common trope AND, just stupid obvious, "Where could he be?? Oh maybe the one place we know he sleeps is worth a look?"
They needed to establish why they didn't just do that, why our hero missed something so blindingly obvious or he just looks dumb and makes the interrogation scene look pointless. Or make the reveal a joke, "Where could he beeeeeeee???? Oh wait: his house."
The interrogation is a very well done but it lacks weight (mainly because stylistically "pain" has no weight (also a problem with Happy killing the other imaginary friend) you have to make an effort to undo an entire season's worth of weightless pain, like undoing Blue's menace to make us feel sorry for him for a second, otherwise it's just...nothing. Killing is sudden and violent and nothing to blink about (right up until we're suddenly supposed to think of it as Serious Business) and our hero literally Popeye's himself up from heart attacks with booze and pills and we just had a scene of our hero pulling bear traps off himself while pratfalling, pain hasn't been established in this world so torture (the prospect of which our hero was laughing at in the first episode) is not a threat and they didn't do anything to try to make it one. I just know they can do better because I've seen them.
I know that that's where they got the info but A: they shouldn't have needed to be told the info, it's stupid obvious B: The Sock needed to redeem himself and further reinforce the narrative themes, C: the scene, while well done, lacked any sort of weight and disrupted the feeling of urgency (generally if you're saying time is of the utmost essence and your next seen has one or more characters sitting stationary you...you...just try again please.) D: the IF themselves should have told us that they're finding their new purpose, that they found a reason to live and if they die they at least die happily once again with a purpose (their own acknowledgment of which would have given their own deaths weight. As it is it's hardly even acknowledged) instead of having Happy pretty much ask them to die for him.

Like I said it's very very well done for what it is, it just could have been much better writing wise.

Wait a minute, didn't Smoothie burn the place down after Sax and his ex fought? He was pouring SOMETHING all over the place what was that? Wait was that not the same place? So why were they outside that building earlier? I gotta watch this again.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Duke Igthorn posted:

You're confusing "script" with "narrative" first off but second yeah, I know that that's how they got the info but they didn't establish that these were overlooked things,, that they had searched Santa's House or, worse yet, establishes that they didn't even look around the god drat place where the evil Santa lives even after establishing that he steals children, the door is gigantic and obvious and certainly wouldn't have been overlooked by a desperate father searching for his child in what he's become aware is a gigantic ring of child thievery that's been going on for who knows how long. As it's presented they just didn't think "Oh maybe he's going back to his lair" which, being such a self aware show, they should know is both a common trope AND, just stupid obvious, "Where could he be?? Oh maybe the one place we know he sleeps is worth a look?"
They needed to establish why they didn't just do that, why our hero missed something so blindingly obvious or he just looks dumb and makes the interrogation scene look pointless. Or make the reveal a joke, "Where could he beeeeeeee???? Oh wait: his house."
The interrogation is a very well done but it lacks weight (mainly because stylistically "pain" has no weight (also a problem with Happy killing the other imaginary friend) you have to make an effort to undo an entire season's worth of weightless pain, like undoing Blue's menace to make us feel sorry for him for a second, otherwise it's just...nothing. Killing is sudden and violent and nothing to blink about (right up until we're suddenly supposed to think of it as Serious Business) and our hero literally Popeye's himself up from heart attacks with booze and pills and we just had a scene of our hero pulling bear traps off himself while pratfalling, pain hasn't been established in this world so torture (the prospect of which our hero was laughing at in the first episode) is not a threat and they didn't do anything to try to make it one. I just know they can do better because I've seen them.
I know that that's where they got the info but A: they shouldn't have needed to be told the info, it's stupid obvious B: The Sock needed to redeem himself and further reinforce the narrative themes, C: the scene, while well done, lacked any sort of weight and disrupted the feeling of urgency (generally if you're saying time is of the utmost essence and your next seen has one or more characters sitting stationary you...you...just try again please.) D: the IF themselves should have told us that they're finding their new purpose, that they found a reason to live and if they die they at least die happily once again with a purpose (their own acknowledgment of which would have given their own deaths weight. As it is it's hardly even acknowledged) instead of having Happy pretty much ask them to die for him.

Like I said it's very very well done for what it is, it just could have been much better writing wise.

Wait a minute, didn't Smoothie burn the place down after Sax and his ex fought? He was pouring SOMETHING all over the place what was that? Wait was that not the same place? So why were they outside that building earlier? I gotta watch this again.

Yeah this is just the worst documentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Smoothie was pouring bleach to get rid of forensic evidence

• Locked thread