Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Audix's Cauldron, Drukwald Spire, Thaolis Prime

You felt the heat from the place from miles away, a district one can barely see it through the thick smog, even by a hive world's standards. Thankfully your place is a bit isolated from the remaining foundries.

Officially designated as Industrial Sector D-03, but nicknamed Audix's Cauldron and used by everyone that isn't an Administratum scribe or Adeptus Mechanicus member, was once a very important sector of Thaolis Prime, due to the supervision of the late Magos Audix, a cruel but extremely efficient administrator of the foundries, and the proximity to Starport U-01 in the Spire for import and export of products. The constant temptations that the Priests of Mars suffer in their activities however, changed the place forever.

Utterly obsessed with increasing the output of the factories under his control, Magos Audix was caught trying to modify the original and sacred industrial matrix programming installed hundreds of years ago. Before he could get caught and made an example of, he sabotaged part of the matrix and rushed to one of the plasma reactors that powered the sector, overloading it, with him on it.

The resulting explosion took countless lives with it, and severely damaged both the Starport and several factories. After the incident, Imperial bureaucracy and corruption made the repairs agonizingly slow to this day. These days the industrial output of the Cauldron is severely diminished compared to their age of glory, alongside traffic and surveillance. Something that was exploited by the Shrouded Hand and their agents on the planet, as they setup the headquarters of yet another cell under their command...

Abandoned Data-slate Factory

You all arrived at the place, not at the same time however, coming at staggered times as the Shrouded Hand's agent ordered, roughly 1-2 hours between each one. The Renegade Marines coming from some underground route after their smuggling at Starport, while the native humans arrived in the sector in whatever way they were most comfortable, as long as it didn't attract attention. You were all given a simple piece of paper with the picture of a scaly, grey hand on it, to show each-other that you were a part of the group as you arrived, with instructions to dispose silently anyone who didn't show it.

The very vertical factory was found to be suitably equipped, with the minimum necessary for your activities. Basic, individual quarters on separate levels that once were storage or maintenance rooms. Abandoned factory equipment that was converted to maintenance tables for weapons and armor. A small stock-pile of normal ammunition in hidden compartments. The only extras you have found were four demolition kits and a couple of unique masks.

The most notorious equipment was a complex one-way communication device (that no one in the group had ever seen, even the Heretek) installed in what was once the huge command center for the factory, and will now fulfill a similar function for the cell.

After everyone arrived it was expected that the handler would debrief you, although unclear if in-person or not, which should happen soon. It is now that awkward and tense moment where six strangers that have never seen each-other are all united in a room, staring at the silent device...

~~~~~~

Alright! Welcome to the game, operators!

Feel free to introduce yourselves, and/or fluff what you did once you arrived at the factory.

If it's relevant, assume that the order that the players will post, is the order in which the operators arrived at the HQ

frajaq fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Raven

"What now?" The newly minted spikey marine asks the rest of his cellmates after they are finally gathered around this strange device in the manufactorum's command center. "Name is Raven, formerly of the Ultramarines chapter."

pre:
Name: Raven
Archetype: Chosen
Pride: Foresight (+5 Per/-5 Fel)
Disgrace: Dread (+5 Per/-5 WP)
Motivation: Immortality (+2 Wounds/-5 WS)
Alignment: Unaligned
Special Ability: Cold Killer

Characteristics:
WS  40 (30 + 15 - 5[Motivation])
BS  50 (30 + 20)
S   40[60] (30 + 10) [Power Armour/Bionics]
T   40 (30 + 10)
Ag  50 (30 + 10)
Int 35 (30 + 5)
Per 50 (30 + 10 + 10[Pride/Disgrace])
WP  40 (30 + 15 - 5[Disgrace])
Fel 30 (30 + 5 - 5[Pride])
Inf 15 (15)

Wounds: 23
Infamy Points:  1
Corruption: 0
Experience: 500/500
Banked Experience: 0

Alignment Counter (KNST): 0/0/0/0
Advances:
Sharpshooter (500)

Skills:
Athletics
Awareness
Common Lore (War)
Dodge +10
Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Astartes)
Intimidate
Linguistics (Low Gothic)
Navigate (Surface)
Operate (Surface)
Parry
Stealth

Talents:
Ambidextrous 
Bulging Biceps
Deadeye Shot
Double Team
Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight)
Legion Weapon Training
Lightning Reflexes
Nerves of Steel
Quick Draw
Rapid Reload
Resistance (Cold, Heat, Poisons)
Sharpshooter
Unarmed Warrior

Traits:
Amphibious
Dark Sight [Auto-senses)
Unnatural Strength (+4) 
Unnatural Toughness (+4)  

Gifts of the Gods:
N/A

Starting Equipment
Legion Power Armour
- Spikes
- Auto-senses
- Enhanced Ceramite Plating
- Sustainable Power Source
Legion Heavy Flamer w/3 canisters (Acquisition #1)
Legion Bolter w/4 magazines
Legion Bolt Pistol w/2 magazines
Legion Chainsword
Legion Combat Knife
pre:
Primary Combat Block:
WS  BS   S    T   Ag  Int Per WP  Fel  
40  50 40[60] 40  50  35  50  40  30

Wounds: 23/23  Infamy: 1/1 Initiative: 1d10+5
Half Move: 6 Full Move: 12 Charge: 18 Run: 36
SB: 8[10] (Power Armour)  TB: 8
Armour: 8[10] (All/Body)
Awareness: 50[70] (Auto-senses/Heightened Senses)
Dodge: 60
Parry: 40[50] (Chainsword)

Weapons: (Currently selected weapons are in BOLD)
Legion Heavy Flamer 30m S/-/- 1d10+12 E Pen: 6 Clip: 15/15 Rld: Full Special: Flame, Spray
Legion Bolter 100m S/3/- 1d10+9 X Pen: 4 Clip: 24/24 Rld: Half Special: Tearing
Legion Bolt Pistol 30m S/2/- 1d10+9 X Pen: 4 Clip: 8/8 Rld: Half Special: Tearing
Legion Chainsword 1d10+13 R Pen: 3 Special: Balanced, Tearing
Legion Combat Knife 1d10+10 R Pen: 2

Noteworthy Talents
Deadeye Shot/Sharpshooter: Raven reduces ranged called shot penalties by 20.
Double Team: Raven gains an additional +10 when ganging up on an opponent. Stacks for a total of +20 if another member of the party has this talent.
Heightened Senses (Hearing/Sight): Raven gains +10 to any tests specifically involving these senses.
Lightning Reflexes: Roll twice for initiative.
Nerves of Steel: Raven may reroll failed WP tests to avoid or recover from pinning. Additionally he gains a +10 bonus to WP tests to resist intimidation.
Quick Draw: Raven can draw and ready a weapon as a free action if it is a pistol, basic-class ranged weapon, or a melee weapon that can be wielded in one hand.

Noteworthy Traits
Dark Sight [Auto-senses]: Able to see normally even in areas of total darkness. He also never takes a penalty for fighting in areas of dim or no lighting.
Unnatural Characteristics (S+4/T+4): Value is added directly to the relevant Characteristic Bonus. Also whenever he succeeds on a test utilizing these characteristics, 
he gains bonus DoS equal to half of the Unnatural Characteristics value.

Noteworthy CSM Implants

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 12, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Sierra, the Apostate

Sierra leaned back against a pillar, "Hearts and minds, Raven, hearts and minds. You lot are drat near unstoppable in a fight, but I'm possessed of a more delicate constitution. Why start a straight-up fight when we can turn Thaolis Prime against itself?" She fans herself, clearly feeling the heat, and adds, "I have some friends in the Administratum. Useful friends. With the right people in our pocket, it should delay any... organized response to our activities."

pre:
Name: Sierra
Race: Heretic
Archetype: Apostate
Pride: Beauty
Disgrace: Gluttony
Motivation: Immortality

Characteristics: 
Weapon Skill	| 25 - 5 [Immortality] 		| 20
Ballistic Skill	| 25 + 20 			| 45
Strength	| 25 + 5 			| 30
Toughness	| 25 + 15 			| 40
Agility		| 25 - 5 [Gluttony] + 15 	| 35
Intelligence	| 25 + 10 			| 35
Perception	| 25 + 5 			| 30
Willpower	| 25 - 4 [Beauty] + 10 		| 31
Fellowship	| 25 + 5 [Apostate] + 20	| 50
Infamy		| 15 + 2 [Beauty] 		| 17

Wounds: 18/18 [+4 Disgrace, Motivation]
Infamy Points: 1/1

Skills:
Awareness
Charm +10
Command
Commerce
Common Knowledge (Imperial Creed, Imperium)
Deceive
Dodge
Forbidden Lore (The Inquisition, Heresy, Daemonology)
Inquiry +10
Linguistics (Low Gothic)
Scholastic Lore (Cryptology, Bureaucracy, Occult)
Stealth
Trade (Soothsayer)

Talents:
Air of Authority
Demagogue
Hatred (Inquisition)
Inspire Wrath
Jaded
Mimic
Peer (Administratum)
Radiant Presence
Total Recall
Unshakeable Will
Weapon Training (Las, Primary)

Traits:
The Quick and the Dead

Special Ability:
The Serpent's Tongue

Gear:
Laspistol [Good Craftsmanship]
Sword [Best Craftsmanship]
Mesh Combat Cloak [4AP Arms/Body/Legs]
Chaos pendant
Unholy tomes
2 laspistol clips

Advances: 	[1,000/1,000]
Demagogue 	[750]
Jaded 		[250]

Acquisition:
Pheromone Generator [Common Craftsmanship]

Tricky fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 11, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Eris

While spending most of her time engrossed in study of the strange receiving unit, Eris does bother to acknowledge the other heretics -- particularly the marine. "Really? I didn't think your kind were allowed such latitude of thought after modification. They should really edit that out." Turning back to the device, she does bother to add, "I assume we'll be blowing something up. Why leave demolitions equipment if it's not going to be used?"

pre:
Name: Eris-Thol-Ena-Thalois
Race: Human
Career: Heretek
Pride: Wealth
Disgrace: Wrath
Motivation: Innovation

Characteristics       
WS	:  25  = 25 + 00 + 
BS	:  45  = 25 + 20 + 
S	: (45) = 25 + 00 + (+20 PA)
T	:  45  = 25 + 20 + 
AG	:  40  = 25 + 15 + 
INT	:  53  = 25 + 20 + 08
PER	:  45  = 25 + 15 + 05
WP	:  30  = 25 + 10 - 05
FEL	:  25  = 25 + 00 +

Infamy:     15
Corruption: 2
Wounds:     14
Initiative: 1d10+4

Skills:
 Dodge
 Tech Use +10 
 Forbidden Lore (Xenos, Daemonology, Archaeotech)
 Scholastic Lore (Chymistry) 

Talents:
 Die Hard, 
 Technical Knock
 Weapon Training (Las, Primary, Shock, Plasma)
 Mechadendrite Training (Utility)
 Total Recall
 Armour-Monger 
 Cold Hearted
 Enemy (Adeptus Mechanicus)
 Iron Jaw & Bulging Biceps (from cyber)

Traits:
 Mechanicus Implants
 Binary Chatter

Mutations:
 None yet

Gear:
 Best-Craftsmanship Lascarbine,
 Common Craftsmanship Power Axe
 Light Carapace Armour, 
 GC Cerebral Implants, Skeletal Petrification
 unholy unguents, combi-tool, dataslate, 
 Utility Mechadendrite 
 Lumenin Capacitors or Maglev Coils or Ferric Lure Implants

Acquisitions:
 (Wealth) CC Power Armor (Auto senses, SPS, Life Sustainer)
 CC Plasma Cannon

Powers:
 N/A

Advancements (/1000):
 Weapon Training (Heavy)       250
 Int +5                        250
 FL Daemonology                200
 FL Archaeotech                200

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Raven
"I'm guessing you are talking about me coggirl? They didn't, the dream machines or whatever they used to indoctrinate us during training never fully took. I always had my eyes open. Neither of you gave your names. I don't care to know what you are really called but I do need something to call you both. Out with it."

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 10, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Eris

Without turning away, Eris responds "Eris-Thol-Ena-Thalois, formerly of the Adeptus Mechanicus, may they rot and rust in their ignorance. Now just Eris."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sierra, the Apostate

The singer says, "Sierra."

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Barragan

"Barragan..." comes the low rumble of the raptor.

True to his role he's perched on an old console bank, long since rusted and gone to scrap. He's antsy, unused to the silence in this hollowed-out factorum. The scream of his engines and the howl of the wind is familiar to him, not this. Part of him wants to at least start up the pack to hear the cough of the engines as they idle, but he refrains in the understanding that secrecy is paramount. Even so, he peels away the old durasteel of the console with jagged ceramite claws just to keep from being idle.

pre:
Name: Barragan
Role: Forsaken
Pride: Martial Prowess
Disgrace: Betrayal
Motivation: Perfection

WS:   50 = 30 + 15 [+5 Pride]
BS:   37 = 30 + 10 [-3 Motivation]
S:    70 = 30 + 15 [+5 Motivation] [+20 Equipment]
T:    40 = 30 + 10 
Ag:   45 = 30 + 15 
Int:  35 = 30 + 10 [-5 Pride]
Per:  40 = 30 + 10 
WP:   45 = 30 + 15 
Fel:  27 = 30 + 0  [-3 Motivation]

Wounds: 20/20
IP     : 1/1
Infamy: 15
Corruption: 5

Skills:

Acrobatics
Athletics
Awareness
Commerce
Common Lore (War)
Dodge
Forbidden Lore (Astartes)
Linguistics (Low Gothic)
Navigate (Surface)
Operate (Aeronautica)
Operate (Surface)
Parry
Survival +10

Talents:

Ambidextrous
Blind Fighting
Bulging Biceps
Cold Hearted
Hatred (Inquisition)
Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight)
Jaded
Legion Weapon Training
Nerves of Steel
Quick Draw
Raptor
Resistance (Cold, Heat, Poison)
Unarmed Warrior

Traits:

Amphibious
Resourceful
Unnatural Strength +4
Unnatural Toughness +4
Untrustworthy

Gear:

Legion Power Armor
 - Auto-senses
 - Chain Bandoliers Power Armor Customization: 1d10 6
 - Sustainable Power Source
 - Vox Link
Legion Bolt Pistol
 - 4 Clips
Legion Combat Knife
4 Legion Frag
Legion Shotgun
 - 2 Clips
Legion Chainsword
Best Jump Pack*

XP:                       450/500

Operate (Aeronautica)         200
Raptor                        250

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Darrien, Fugitive Psyker

Darrien sat on the floor with his back to the wall, about as far as he could possibly be from Eris while still being in the same room. He used to be a factory worker, so to him tech-priests filled him with more dread than the two Space Marines did. But even if it made him deeply uncomfortable, he would work with the heretek in following with the plan he was a part of now, had always been a part of. Still, he needed to calm his mind down, so he pulled out his dataslate and began to theorize about the true meaning of recent events reality and the hidden wisdom of the universe. Unconsciously, he begins to mutter as he types.

"Hearts and minds, minds and hearts, not enough. If it was that simple, why bring in two space marines? No, something bigger planned, has to be bigger. Demolition charges, blow a target up? Part of the plan, sure, but that can't be all. What of the masks? Can't be just to hide identity, too unique in appearance. Spread terror, perhaps? Not among the regular people, but among those in control? But then what target would need demolition charges and two marines, while working well as a first assignment for us to prove ourselves and be designed to spread terror to someone or some group? There's not enough data yet, where is the handler?!"

Realizing the others are staring at him, he stares back, unblinking, until he realizes what's happening. "Right, introductions, sorry about that. Haven't been able to talk to people in a while. My name is Darrien, I've recently become a psyker." After that, Darrien immediately turns back to his dataslate and continues to ramble under his breath.

pre:
Name: Darrien
Race: Heretic
Archetype: Psyker
Pride: Devotion
Disgrace: Hubris
Motivation: Ascendancy

Characteristics: 
WS:  25 (25)
BS:  40 (25+15)
S:   20 (25)-5[Pride]
T:   40 (25+15)
Ag:  45 (25+20)
Int: 20 (25)-5[Disgraces]
Per: 40 (25+15)
WP:  60 (25+20)+5[Psyker]+5[Pride]+5[Motivation]
Fel: 40 (25+15)

Wounds: 11/11 [-2 from Motivation]
Infamy: 17 [+2 from Disgrace]
Infamy Points: 1/1

Skills:
Awareness
Common Lore (Imperial Creed, Imperium)
Deceive
Dodge
Forbidden Lore (Psyker)
Linguistics (Low Gothic)
Psyniscience
Scrutiny
Stealth
Survival
Trade (Cryptographer)

Talents:
Child of the Warp [Memory Worm]
Jaded
Psy Rating 3
Weapon Training (Primary, SP)

Traits:
Psyker

Psychic Powers:
Compel
Delude
Precognition
Preternatural Awareness
Psychic Scream
Thought Sending

Special Ability:
The Quick and the Dead

Gear:
Common Stub Revolver (with Man-Stopper Bullets)
Common Neural Whip
Flak Cloak
Psy-focus
Dataslate (filled with “arcane lore”/conspiracy theories)

Advances: [1,000/1,000]
Psychic Scream [300]
Preternatural Awareness [100]
Stealth [200]
Scrutiny [200]
Survival [200]

Acquisition:
Man-Stopper Bullets (for Stub Revolver)

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

The Red Hand of Thaolis, (birth name Thullgrim)

"Names are funny things," a low whisper, scratchy as though hoarse, comes from the darkness between two cogitators in the corner of the room. "Many people have just one name.
Others have multiple names. Birth names, nicknames, titles, monikers. The funny thing about names is in almost every circumstances, we are given our names by others. Rarely, does one get to pick their own names."

A lean, yet muscular man steps out of the shadows. His skin pale and head hairless; for just a second everyone thinks he is already dressed in one of the alabaster masks from the storage rooms below. As he steps more into the light, more details become clearer. The biggest detail being the pair of horns jutting from the man's forehead near his temples. They stick straight out, but the horns also have to them a twisting spiral, and they look almost as if they have black veins right below the surface.

"The first name I was given by my birth parents was Thullgrim. I was told that the name is reminiscent of one of the traitor marines of old. A bastardized spelling and pronunciation." The man continues to walk forward. It appears that his gait is a little off; given the way he keeps rolling his shoulders it would seem he isn't entirely used to wearing the armor he has on, likely a gift from their new patrons. "Welp. Boy. Bastard. Piece of poo poo gutter rat. More names given to me by others, if those names would better suit you."

He walks fully into the center of the room, steps deliberate, posture a little hunched as if trying to sneak his way into the light. "There is only one name I have been given that I am fond of.
This name, while given to me, is a name that I earned."
He raises his right hand, which is when if finally becomes clear that there is blood, relatively fresh blood, all over it. It does not appear that his hand is cut, so the blood belongs to someone else. The Man takes his bloody palm and lays it flat on the table in the middle of the room, leaving an imprint in blood, all five fingers spread apart.

The Man turns to the marine in blue. "That is my name. I never speak it. If you wish to hear it spoken, ask one of them who I am," the Man gestures with his bloody hand to the other humans in the room. "For it was they and their ilk that gave it to me. Who whisper it in the dark."

The Man turns to Darrien. "There are two of these giants and myself. If our new patrons didn't want to spread terror, they should have left me to rot away in the underhive. Oh, the fear we will spread. Blood can carry emotions, and the smell of freshly let blood from someone in the midst of fear is some of the sweetest smelling."

pre:
Name: The Red Hand of Thaolis
Archetype: Renegade
Alignment: Unaligned(leaning Khorne or Slaanesh)
Pride: Grace
Disgrace: Betrayal 
Motivation: Violence

Characteristics:

WS:  48 =(25+20)+3(archetype)
BS:   23=(25)+3(archetype)-5(pride)
S:    40=(25+15)
T:    45=(25+20)
Agi:  50=(25+20)+5(pride)
Int:  22=(25)-3(motivation)
Per:  40=(25+15)
WP:   35=(25+10)
Fel:  25=25

Wounds: 15
Infamy: 15 
IP: 1/1
CP: 10 (Disgrace and motivation)

Skills:
Acrobatics
Athletics
Awareness
Dodge
Intimidate
Parry +10
Scholastic lore (tactica Imperialis)
Common Lore (arbites, underworld,war)
Linguistics (low gothic)
Trade (Scrimshawer)
Operate (aeronautica)
Stealth +10
Medicae

Talents:
Jaded
Quick draw
Rapid Reload
Weapon Training (Chain, Flame, Las, Primary, SP, shock)
Catfall 
Sure Strike 
Disarm
Ambidextrous 
lightning reflexes

Traits/Mutations/Other:
The Quick and the Dead
Androit (weapon skill)
Untrustworthy: -10 to all charm attempts
Magnificent Horns

Gear:
Best craftsmanship las gunBest quality sword w/mono
Best craftsmanship las Pistol
Best craftsmanship chainsword
Carapace armor
medkit
dataslate with insane scrawling.

Acquisitions:
preysense goggles

XP Spent  800/1000
Stealth +10 350
Acrobatics known 200
lightning reflexes 250

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Raven
"If the Hand wishes us to foment an insurgency on this world then we will do so by any means necessary. They seem to be the type to give us a mission and leave it to us to carry out the end goal, though they might be more apt to provide more stringent guidance. We will find out soon enough I hope. I can definitely learn to handle the locals and train them to fight better than any PDF or Guard rabble we might encounter as well as the Arbites. Sierra can be the human face of our operation and weave her web, she can be responsible for sustaining our intelligence apparatus. Eris can possible infiltrate the mechanicus elements and Darrien's abilities give us an edge no matter what they are. What are they by the way?" Raven asks off hand before continuing on with his impromptu speech. "My soon to be brother Raptor Barrigan and the human Thullgrim; they are your real killers. I have no doubt there are already heretical movements that exist on this world, they exist on every world in the Imperium. I believe we should find these other groups and cults. We can purge their movements and bring them under our control or eliminate them outright if they cannot be controlled."

"Those are my suggestion, barring further direction, on a blueprint for our short term activities. But what do you all wish for?"

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 10, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Eris

"I want to know everything," she says, hunting a for a power lead, "and make things no one has ever seen. Things they don't deserve to see, but I'll show them anyway, before they die. The Hand will tell me more secrets." She shrugs and adds, "or I'll leave. The Mechanicus are too slow, and the planet is too big for them to stop me. This thing is strange," she says, stepping back from the communicator. "The incoming power is too little for the range and fidelity its construction suggests. It has another source or method, but one I can't find. Interesting."

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

As the new operatives are already talking about their designated functions, you all hear footsteps from some forgotten corner of the factory coming towards the control room. A cloaked figure with his hands raised walks toward you and talks with the familiar voice of the Shrouded Hand's handler that recruited you originally.

"I'm glad you all are so eager to work. We're gonna need that and much more if we aim to bring this planet to its knees. But one step at the time." Entering the room, the handler reveals his cybernetic arms from his cloak, opens a small console imbued in it and enters some esoteric code on it.

The one-way communicator finally flashes to life, unfurling several compacted segments, one panel showing confusing codified streams of information, a big holographic map of Drukwald Spire and the surrounding area, a high resolution panel for images, and others.

The vox in communicator crackles and a heavily and modified distorted comes from within. "++++Operators. You have been brought here because of your skills, desires and your diverse emotions towards what the Imperium currently represents. Today starts the work of channeling that towards the greater plan of the Shrouded Hand in Thaolis Prime. The name of this cell from now on is Azure. This one-way communication unfortunately is less efficient, but channel security to avoid any kind of tracing back to our location takes priority. The Body Cannot be Compromised.++++"

After a few seconds a picture of an Imperial officer appears in the high resolution panel.

"++++Azure, meet Colonel Alexei Steinkamp, current C.O. of Thaolis 4th Infantry Regiment, one of the last bastions of competency on the planet. A rarity among Imperial Officers, he actually earned his position, being promoted after his actions on Thaolis III, after successfully defending the mining colonies there from Ork pirates. He is a stern man that nonetheless conquered the loyalty and admiration of his soldiers. Many say that he has potential to be a fine General and lead more Regiments to greater glories.++++"

Another pause.

"++++Suffice to say his existance is unacceptable and must be removed. That is the primary objective of cell Azure: The elimination of Colonel Alexei Steinkamp by any means necessary. For many months his activities with the 4th have been under a strict schedule imposed by him. From his manor in the Upper Drukwald to the 4th Regiment Headquarters in the neighboring Ichwald Spire and back, he devotes himself fully to his position. The only normal exceptions are certain social events with other officers or Administratum personnel. Recently however he was spotted more than once entering a private nightclub named Purple Estate in Upper Ichwald, quite unusual for the officer.++++"

The holographic map helps the cell in showing where exactly all those locations are.

"++++We have suspicions an unknown party is also interested in the Colonel, and the nightclub is part of their assets. The secondary objective of cell Azure is uncovering who they are and acting accordingly, if their goals are in opposition with the Shrouded Hand and your primary objective, eliminate them. If not, make them your assets only if possible, complete elimination of this unknown variable is also acceptable. In your objectives you'll have complete freedom in which manner to act. Any possible questions direct them to your handler. You'll only receive another communication from us after the objectives are completed or in case of emergency. Best of luck, Azure. Death to the False Emperor.++++" The vox silences for good.

The other functions of the communicator are still up and running. The cloaked figure of the handler turns back at the group. "You have your orders, Azure. I will be leaving shortly to leave you to your work, unless you have questions?"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

After the briefing, a wide grins crosses the Red Hand's face. "Excellent. I have given many souls to the Dark Gods, but they have told me they grow tired of the same low born blood, tainted with chems and poverty. The voices ask for bigger targets, ones whose fear will make their blood sweet with the fear-stench. So far the Red Hand has not struck above the under hive. How much fear do you think the Hive will have when they find my bloody print next to the drained and flayed body of this Colonel? Obviously it would be easy to strike at him while at this Purple Estate. But the Dark Gods do not reward you for easy. He would feel most safe, least vulnerable, at his home. We should strike him there. When they find his body tied to his bed posts, all the hive will know they are not safe. This seems to me to be the only choice."

I'm all for maximum shock and awe and killing this guy in his home.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sierra, the Apostate

Sierra makes a thoughtful sound, "I'll leave that side of matters to your capable hands, Red Hand. I'm more interested in the party acting through the Purple Estate. My connections have been... frayed by recent events. Co-opting this establishment would give us an avenue to bring revelation to a number of well-placed individuals in the False Emperor's service. And, if need be, the vacuum after their destruction will prove an excellent opportunity to extend our reach."

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Barragan

"Killing would be easy for any of us. But it would be more advantageous to subvert whatever influence is being placed on the colonel."

Straightforward, to the point. The death of Steinkamp would be the crowning achievement, only after using him as an in to whatever this club truly is. Perhaps another cult seeks to turn a guardsman traitor, and through him the men at his command. A man with such talent for leadership would be a mighty prize. Or maybe...

"Must he die rather than be turned?"

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The handler turns to the raptor. "Our Masters believe turning this particular officer would take too much time for our plans. There are other regiments and the PDF to consider, where their own officers are lazier, decadent and far easier to corrupt than Steinkamp. These other forces are not of interest this cell, currently."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Raven
"We should make a half hearted attempt to earn this colonel's affection. For one it's going to make sure whoever is behind the club will go after Sierra to find out who she's with. We can follow that gopher to their handler and use that information to climb up the foodchain of this unknown element. Meanwhile we get the layout of the nightclub courtesy of our human ops and can plan to kill everyone in the club with our Astartes element, primary target included. I assume we can procure some sort of cargo vehicle to carry power armoured soldiers or otherwise we can forgo our armor and dress up as common, though extremely large, mutant laborers."

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 12, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

"A heavy truck should not be hard to find, especially on this sector. Choosing to use the astartes element of the cell in assaulting the nightclub if necessary would indeed send a powerful message, but attract more attention to your activities." the handler muses. "An interesting option nonetheless, and that's why the Hand trust this cell with freedom in methods."

If anyone is worried about manually acquiring certain things like vehicles, depending on what the cell wants I don't see why it would be hard to find. I would assume something like a truck is easy to acquire considering the skills of the group.

Also it's been awhile since I GM'd and I'm still getting a hold of how the pace of PbP are supposed to go. Usually in these planning phases I wait for everyone to post once, if you're just OK with any plan and don't have anything else to add a simple post suffices.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Darrien

"If turning the Colonel to our cause is a no-go, who is his successor? Seeing as whoever is second-in-command isn't a target, that would mean they aren't as competent as Alexei Steinkamp. We wouldn't even have to turn them, if we can set them up as a suspect for who arranged for the Colonel's death. Or we could just make the Colonel-to-be think they're next, and let paranoia do its thing. Having the Thaolis 4th in our pocket would be nice, but it seems our main objective is just to make sure they can't hamper our further efforts."

Another idea pops into Darrien's mind. "Actually, if we can get Alexei's successor to somehow show up at the Purple Estate, I could control his mind for a moment, either to have him try to kill the Colonel or to 'order' us to do so. It would pull some of the attention to examining the 4th to see if they've turned traitor, for a while anyways." Looking at the two marines and the assassin, the psyker shrugs, "Or we could just kill the target and anyone who gets in our way. Simple plans are okay too, I guess."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Eris

Eris regards the psyker for a moment. "If you can control his successor's mind, why not his driver's? A tragic accident involving a personal vehicle, high speeds, and a ditch should be adequate for our purposes. And if the impact fails to kill the good Colonel, a few blows from an Astartes fist would do the trick." She shrugs, and adds, "That is, if we want to take the subtle approach." Briefly revving her plasma cannon's capacitors for a theatrical whine, she adds "There are others."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sierra, the Apostate

Sierra looks askance at the plasma cannon, clearly worried that it might explode, but quickly recovers her composure. "Good, yes, excellent. Perhaps we can divide and conquer? I doubt it would require all of our considerable skills to arrange such an accident and I would appreciate someone watching my back were I to take the role of bait. Perhaps Darrien?"

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Darrien

It takes some considerable effort for the former factory worker to not freeze in place when the ex-tech-priest looks at Darrien. "Well, uh, I need to be somewhat close and be able to see who I'm controlling. So we would need to get a vehicle of our own, find out when the Colonel leaves for the nightclub, get close to him while he's still in transit, and then match our speed with his vehicle in a way that I can see the driver. And self-preservation is heavily ingrained in most minds, and is a tricky obstacle to overcome."

"But aside from all of that, your plan's fine." The psyker wince internally, as his mind finally catches up and delivers a warning too late for him to heed: Don't taunt the one with the plasma cannon. Recovering quickly, Darrien jumps on the opening Sierra provided. "Of course, no matter what plan we go with, we'll still need to gather more information, and probably visit the Purple Estate to figure out the Colonel's schedule. That's something me and Sierra can handle better than the two marines and the assassin obsessed with killing."

People being targeted by my Compel power get a +20 to resist if I tell them to do something suicidal. That said, I could still probably win the opposed WP test by pushing, so don't let Darrien's protests stop you guys if you really want to kill the target in a car crash.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

As the discussion continues, the Red Hand cocks his head to the side as if someone were talking to him and he was struggling to hear someone. Finally he smiles and turns to the group. "The voices really want some blood shed. All this talk of turning people bores them. The blood of this Colonel would feed the Gods so. If you deny them that, then a glorious slaughter must be had at this Purple Estate. The sweet trickle pour of blood must accompany this feat to truly be worthy of the attention of the gods."

The Red Hand then looks at the Psyker and frowns. "You don't know what I am capable factory dreg. To kill a sacrifice where they are most secure requires knowing where they feel most secure. It means know why they feel most secure there, and to get past that security quietly. All of that requires gathering information. Have you ever stalked a gang lord for a week well enough to know their schedule to be waiting for them when they went to relieve themselves? The wait makes the kill all the more potent." The Red Hand looks distant for a moment as he seems lost in the memory of a kill.

"The gods I serve will want blood. I still think we should do as our patrons ask and make sure that blood belongs to the Colonel."

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Barragan

The little murderer annoys Barragan to no end. He won't last long at all, but perhaps he can prove useful for longer if reined in. The raptor starts up his jump pack with just minimal fuel to produce an ugly stuttering cough.

"Patience! Blood is only a means to an end, not the end itself. We have our orders to remove the colonel, and we shall."

The pack winds down to silence again. Barragan thinks.

"A simple vehicle accident will suffice, I think. Afterwards we can fuel his second's paranoia with rumor and inference. Darrien can push his mind in that direction to sow discord."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Raven
"I do see value in making a name for ourselves in the eyes of the Gods. How about this for a plan? Darrien and Sierra go into the nightclub together whilst the rest of us recon the outside. We will probably need to find some clothes sized for Barragan and myself but we can probably pass for mutants like I said. We'll carry only weapons, ammunition, and communications gear. Mr. Red Hand will join us on reconnaissance and will be responsible for shadowing Sierra and Darrien when they leave the club after doing their socializing thing. His job would be to be a spotter in the event my educated guess becomes a reality and they are followed leaving the club. At which point he will take point in the CAPTURE! Raven raises his voice to emphasis that last bit whilst walking up to the khornate killer. "I'm eager to kill just like you but I need you to understand that there's some foreplay before the murder. If our people are followed, you capture said person for mindfucking and interrogation. Then you can sacrifice him or her to your chosen God. Remember what we're here for."

"That'll be day one. Day two we pool the information we learn and prepare to run an op at the club when the Colonel will next be in attendance. The one I have in mind involves Darrien, Sierra, and Red Hand popping into a side entrance and talking, mindfucking, or otherwise cutting throats on their way to the colonel and sacrificing him and his entourage where he feels most safe.Going for 8 victims in a row would be most ideal here. Meanwhile myself, Barragan, and Eris would each cover as many ways out of the club as possible and kill everyone on the floor. For plausible deniability, I'm sure Eris can commune with the machine spirits and convince them it is wise for this place to burn. If we make it look enough like an electrical fire they might miss all the other damage we do.

"Slightly complicated but overall simple and honestly, we can do super subtle some other time. Right now I want to make a name for myself and I lust for murder. Hopefully you can accomodate me here."

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 16, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Eris

Eris just nods. "Fine. I will do what I can to alter local surveillance systems such that our identities are unknown. If we find it necessary to purge the Purple Estate and its inhabitants, we will at least not be recorded." She pauses for a moment before contradicting an Astartes, but adds, "I still believe that it would be best to deal with the Colonel before he arrives. His death is required, but violence at the club will make co-opting it difficult."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Raven

6:27:24 PM <frajaq> as far as your current intelligence allows, an armoured car with a driver, three bodyguards and him, is the usual transport everywhere he goes, from manor to Regiment HQ, official dinners, Purple Estate etc
"On second thought let's go back to the manufactured groundcar accident plan. It'd be much easier to explain away than my desired result. Sorry Red Hand, no elaborate murder this op."

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 17, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Eris

"Simple, then. I neutralize surveillance while we attack Steinkamp's transport. Then we pay a visit to the Purple Estate, possibly with a head-shaped example of the new authority in town."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Raven

"Can you compel the driver to simply roll down the window Darrien? It's not something that threatens his life, its relatively mundane. Pull up alongside afterwards in a truck and let me open up the back. I'll roast everyone inside the armored car and Barragan can jump out of the truck running, jump up, and then get on top if that somehow doesn't disable them. That'll cover an overt assassination method. We can set up a mine on a known route, or just toss a satchel of demo charges infront of the car then command detonate it. Or you can think REALLY REALLY hard and have that driver crash the loving car or get whoever is riding alongside to freak out and maybe cause the driver to stop or crash. Then leave the rest to us. How does all of that sound?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sierra, the Apostate

Sierra shrugs, "I trust in your capacities for violence and will gladly defer to your grasp of tactics, but Eris is right: it will be much easier on my end if we refrain from murder or arson, say, in the club. Also, it would be helpful for me to see the lay of the land before we made our presence known. With a little effort, I might ingratiate myself into their organization and find out just who the Red Hand would need to make disappear."

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Barrigan

The engines spin down with a whine as Barrigan shakes his head.

"If violence must be done, we can accomplish it easily. I know I've seen enough vehicle damage to stage the aftermath to look like an accident. Let us simply finish the guardsman on the road and be done with it. Investigating the establishment is not our objective, but the noncombatants can do so at their leisure as long as we kill Steinkamp."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Raven

"It seems we have reached a consensus. If there is anything else then speak. Otherwise I'm ready to kill this prick."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

The Red Hand's head bounces back and forth between the various actors in the conversation. After a bit of the banter, he injects himself. "Killing for the gods is always the best course of action, or at least it has been for me," the murderer absently rubs his protruding horns before he continues. "I still think the Red Hand should make his out of the underhive debut here with the Colonel, as nothing would shock the establishment more than knowing that their military leaders are not beyond my, I mean our reach. However, I do see the utility in staging it as an accident. I have had to kill many a scum between me and my targets; sometimes you cannot sneak past every sentry. The ultimate prize is this world and all the souls we will deliver to the gods.
Those many deaths later on may justify the unceremonious death here. It maybe a little early to tip our Hand so to speak."

stab him, burn, him, make him into stew, at this point lets just get to sneaking and killing.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Raven

"At this point it's less vehicular accident, more a psionically assisted, drive-by assassination. We should be able to cover up the most overt signs of our work by doctoring the scene post morterm and making it look like a crash that damaged and ignited the fuel supply. Now we need to talk about route planning. The less people on the route we hit the better. Gives us time to actually kill this gently caress and his entourage, get away, and minimize the chance of anyone seeing our space marines and reporting back. The moment Chaos Astartes are positively identified by any military or arbites authority is the moment we have to begin worrying about the Inquisition. Thankfully Thaolis is a big place and the path to the Purple Estate has some low traffic and low vis areas."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

"Forgive me for being a dumb underhive murderer, but won't they have communication? Even the local enforcers that rarely entered my domain had radio to call for backup. I assume the military is the same? This strike would need to be quick enough that none can ask for help. At least a stealth strike, at the estate, or his home, would hopefully avoid that. Not saying it can't be done, we just need to be quick about it."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Raven

"They can't radio for backup if their lungs are filled with burning promethium. It's literally that simple: open a window and pour fire in. That said, a strike on him at his manor is worth considering."

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 20, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Azure Cell Headquarters - Day 1

As the operators continue planning, a satisfied handler leaves the place, exiting the abandoned factoria through some maintenance hatch.

Some time later you come up with a plan, focused on eliminating Colonel Alexei Steinkamp first, while he's travelling between his Manor in Upper Drukwald to the HQ in the neighboring spire. The labyrinthine design of Hive cities make it so he has to travel through a lower, decaying hab district with less security and movement, and that is where the cell will strike.

The rest of the day you all spend preparing yourselves for the assassination attempt tomorrow.

Darrien and Red Hand together acquire a truck with a slide door from one of the nearby factoria without much trouble, to play an important part tomorrow. Eris
checks the vehicle and finds no fault in it. Feel free to fluff if you want about how this went

~~~~~~~~

There was some discussion on IRC about no human party member having Operate (Surface) which was pretty funny. In any case I'm gonna GM fiat that the humans can drive a car/truck without huge issues, call it a minor perk for living on a Hive World. Actual military vehicles will still need the Operate (Surface) skill to be bought in the future.

Azure Cell Headquarters - Day 2

At the dawn of a new day (that you would only know by looking at a chronos, since the skyline is an eternal smog-filled hellscape), the cell begins to move out. You ready your weapons and armor, and start to get into the heavy duty truck.

Sierra takes up the driving seat, with Darrien riding shotgun. The marines Raven and Barrigan enter the back, the weight of the power armor and their heavy equipment being supported by the truck without issues, Eris and Red Hand follow and climb inside too.

You drive away from Audix's Cauldron, and towards Habitat District Y-04, where your cell will finally shed blood (and worse).

Habitat District Y-04

The transport between the two districts went without trouble, on the only checkpoint a tired Administratum official barely glanced at Sierra's falsified papers, allowing you to go your way.

As the Colonel's schedule goes, at this time he should be passing through the hab district towards Ichwald Spire, the cell's truck enter the maze-like streets of the district. There is not much traffic, be on the streets or sidewalks, only a few unfortunate souls, drug addicts, factoria workers, hobos and other miscellaneous transients. It is a dark place, with the smog from the Cauldron affecting the place from above, besides the towering spires and hive support columns casting deep shadows on the streets.

After entering one of the streets Sierra and Darrien spot Colonel's armored car, just like the intel showed, ahead of the truck on a one-way road. You slowly catch up to it as you continue driving through the streets at a medium pace. The only thing that feels weird is another car, but not armored, closely following the Colonel's car right behind it. Your information about the target never said anything about a second car.

Soon the street will curve out, the time and how to act is yours to choose.

Your truck with everyone inside is Blue. Red is Colonel's armoured car, your target. Wine Red is a suspicious car. Yellow are civilian elements you can see from your position, be they on the sidewalks or random vehicles on the streets.

Assume everyone all human party members have ear-pieces communicators and can talk with eachother, with the Space Marines PA being on the same frequency/channel.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Raven
Initiative (Lightning Reflexes): 2d10k1+5 7

"Take them after we cross the intersection so we can minimize civilian witnesses. Darrien, you get the armored car driver to lower the windows with your witch powers. Once thats done, relay it to Sierra. Sierra you pull up alongside and slightly ahead of the armored car. Barrigan, pop that fething door and fly out and deal with the rear vehicle. I'll torch these motherfethers with two good bursts. Eris, dump plasma on motherfethers at your discretion. Red Hand! Kill anyone who lays eyes on us."

"Speak now or hold your peace motherfethers!" Raven voxs quite excitedly as he ignites the pilot light on his Heavy Flamer and gets ready to do the hit.

pre:
Primary Combat Block:
WS  BS   S    T   Ag  Int Per WP  Fel  
40  50 40[60] 40  50  35  50  40  30

Wounds: 23/23  Infamy: 1/1 Initiative: 1d10+5
Half Move: 6 Full Move: 12 Charge: 18 Run: 36
SB: 8[10] (Power Armour)  TB: 8
Armour: 8[10] (All/Body)
Awareness: 50[70] (Auto-senses/Heightened Senses)
Dodge: 60
Parry: 40[50] (Chainsword)

Weapons: (Currently selected weapons are in BOLD)
Legion Heavy Flamer 30m S/-/- 1d10+12 E Pen: 6 Clip: 15/15 Rld: Full Special: Flame, Spray
Legion Bolter 100m S/3/- 1d10+9 X Pen: 4 Clip: 24/24 Rld: Half Special: Tearing
Legion Bolt Pistol 30m S/2/- 1d10+9 X Pen: 4 Clip: 8/8 Rld: Half Special: Tearing
Legion Chainsword 1d10+13 R Pen: 3 Special: Balanced, Tearing
Legion Combat Knife 1d10+10 R Pen: 2

Noteworthy Talents
Deadeye Shot/Sharpshooter: Raven reduces ranged called shot penalties by 20.
Double Team: Raven gains an additional +10 when ganging up on an opponent. Stacks for a total of +20 if another member of the party has this talent.
Heightened Senses (Hearing/Sight): Raven gains +10 to any tests specifically involving these senses.
Lightning Reflexes: Roll twice for initiative.
Nerves of Steel: Raven may reroll failed WP tests to avoid or recover from pinning. Additionally he gains a +10 bonus to WP tests to resist intimidation.
Quick Draw: Raven can draw and ready a weapon as a free action if it is a pistol, basic-class ranged weapon, or a melee weapon that can be wielded in one hand.

Noteworthy Traits
Dark Sight [Auto-senses]: Able to see normally even in areas of total darkness. He also never takes a penalty for fighting in areas of dim or no lighting.
Unnatural Characteristics (S+4/T+4): Value is added directly to the relevant Characteristic Bonus. Also whenever he succeeds on a test utilizing these characteristics, 
he gains bonus DoS equal to half of the Unnatural Characteristics value.

Noteworthy CSM Implants

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Darrien

At Raven's urging, Darrien looks out the window of their new ride (the original owner happy to part with it free of charge after a little talk with the psyker and the Red Hand), waiting until the vehicle pulls up enough for him to see the driver of the Colonel's car. Going into a trance, Darrien's vision blurs as his thoughts seep into the drivers mind. With a sudden jolt as his eyes widen, Darrien commands the driver to open the window. After all, it is a bit warm today, and surely nothing bad could happen, right? However, the psyker, still not used to the powers he has, loses control, and the visions and voices that plague his sleep creep into his awakened mind as the sky darkens and rains down a torrent of blood.

Subtlety has completely gone out the window.

Pushing at full power, so 60 WP -10 from difficulty and +45 from effective 9 Psy Rating (+5 from pushing, +1 from Child of the Warp) means my TN is 95.
Compelling the driver to open the window: 54, so 5 degrees of success that the driver has to beat, which may well be impossible for him.

Automatic Phenomena roll: 108, which leads to Perils of the Warp: 75: Blood Rain. For the next 3 rounds, a blood rain storm erupts over an area of 32 meters. Anyone caught in the storm must pass a +0 Strength test to avoid being knocked prone and all psychic powers generate Perils of the Warp. Darrien gains 2 corruption.

• Locked thread