Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
gently caress yes a godgame! Oh man, the usual heavy hitters are out and I only ever have a phone to post from. Welp, ill be watching.

Edit: Testing because Imgur is now crap and confusing

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Milton "Wally" Simmons

A long time ago in a galaxy far far... wait that's not the right story. Ah, here we go. One day in the city of Farnam along the eastern seaboard of the Protected States, a young man was tapping away at his computer terminal. He was seated in an uncomfortable chair, in an uncomfortable cubicle, in a large room painted a very uncomfortable looking shade of periwinkle. The nameplate outside the cubicle was engraved with the name "Milton Simmons" and underneath that, "Logistics". It was a simple enough title for a simple enough man.

Milton despised his job, as well as all the people he was forced to work with. And while to the casual observer he appeared to be studiously at work, he was in fact usually playing an online text-based roleplaying game with several of his friends. Well, his only friends really. It was the low point of his life, where even a MUD he used to enjoy could no longer bring pleasure. Often throughout the day he would find himself staring at the poster on the wall outside the opening of his little kingdom. It was of a kitten hanging off a branch by its little paws. "Hang in There!" the text on the poster read. Milton sometimes wished the drat kitten would just fall.

On this particular day, something inside this young man snapped. He realized how little he cared about what was going on around him and just how little it mattered. So he stood up, gathered his things, and walked away. The pompous rear end that was his boss tried to stop him, shouting things like, "You're fired!" and, "Put down that fire extinguisher it isn't yours!" But Milton found that all the irritating sounds that usually came from the man blended together into a sort of wahwahwah noise. He was amazed when others began to comment on it as well. Milton never did find out if his old boss regained the ability to speak, as he just didn't care. Besides, he had gotten himself a nifty fire extinguisher.

What kind of god are you?
Well that's a bit of a personal question, isn't it? I mean I don't go around demanding to know what kind of omnipotent narrator you are, do I? If you reall must know Ive been around since the dawn of time! I have watched humanity's rise, its greatest achievements, and its moat terrible deeds! Ok that's a lie. I've been around since about last thursday, in a really sort of godlike fashion. I mean I woke up and was like, "Wow, I suddenly understand the universe and how all life is connected and has a purpose!" Or something lile that. It might have been gas.

Who are you?
You're the omnipotent narrator, shouldn't you know? My mother named me Milton, but I prefer Wally. It isn't much better, but its a little better. Not much, but a little.

Where are you from?

Farnam, a big city in a big country, the Protected States. A group of former colonies that one decided that they didn't like being colonies and so rebeled against the Adyer Empire. The Empire, being big, bad and mighty, swatted the pitiful rebellion down like gnats bit conceeded in allowing the colonies to become protectorates. Some other stuff happened too but I wasn't really paying attention to that part in school. Eventually we were granted our own country, but I guess we liked the name. The Prime Minister is an rear end.

What are you the god of?
I suppose Im the god of not giving a poo poo? Is that a thing? It would have to be, I mean there's a real power when you suddenly stop caring about anything. And I don't mean in a sociopathic kind of way, I still like my friends, a little, and I'm not about to go murdering people to get my jollies. It's sort of like, why do I care about what other people think of me? Or why does it matter that the economy is going in the crapper, I've got a lovely internet comedy forum to read. Know what I mean?
Apathy: +2

Where do you excel?
Im great at not caring. Ok I guess thats not really a 'mortal' skillset, but it could be! If I tried. Well alright, this probably comes as a shock to nobody, but Im fairly good with electronics. I mean Im no Robert Portcullis, inventing microchips and whatnot, but Ive put together a few circuit boards. I tried doing it for a job, you know? But I really hated doing it as a job, better as a hobby. I've even got a few patents for some automation programs I developed. Which now that I think about, probably caused me to do more work than they saved. Eh, whatever.
Electronics and Electrical Systems: +4 (mortal)

What is your edge?
You know I dont actually have to work. I started working at the warehouse because I bored, and then it was familiar. Familiar is good, you know? Comfortable. Like a warm sweater on a cool afternoon. A sweater made of banality. Ok that doesn't really work now that I think about it. Maybe lile a suit of armor, made from cold hard indifference and... actually never mind, Ive gotten lost on that one. Anway yeah, mom left a pretty good inheritance and the money coming in from my patents is decent enough.
Independently Wealthy: +2 (mortal)

What upends your plans?
Look, Im not lazy, not really. I just don't see the need to exert myself when it isn't really called for. I have things to do things for me, and I sure I can get other people to do others. That's not being lazy, that's being economical!
Really Lazy: Situational

What kind of story do you wish to tell?
What happens when a man gains the power of a god, but doesn't know what to do with it? Especially when nothing seems to really concern him beyond his own wants or needs. He isn't a moral man, but neither is he a bad one. What could spur him forward?

Writing this on my phone took far longer than I liked.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

LLSix posted:

It is easier to do nothing in some places than in others. What is your favorite place to do nothing in and why?

Have you ever been to Sotria? It's a town on the west coast, northish. They made a movie there a while about a band of plucky kids, some gangsters, and a pirate called Solo Eye Petey or something. It was pretty good. Anyway they filmed it in this little town right on the ocean. Years ago some friends and I passed through on a road trip to Effigy Man. We stopped for the night and, to be honest, they were really wearing on me. So I left the hotel and was walking to a gas station where the hotel clerk said I could buy some weed, and not that dirt weed poo poo be brought with us but some real good stuff. Like the kind that zombies you out for hours, that kind. Man, it's been a while since I did any of that.

Where was I? Oh right, the bench. So the walk was like three blocks and about halfway there I kinda didnt think it was really worth the effort any more and there was this bench on the side of the road, just looking out over the ocean. It looked real inviting, so I took a seat.

It was... what's the word? Enchanting, yeah that works. I mean I'm not a nature guy, but I don't know how long I sat and just... watched. All the way through the sunset and well into the night. Just the sounds of crashing waves and smell of brine. If I didn't get violently sick on boats I might even be a sailor. Well, except for that whole hard work thing.

Anyway I've git a place like that in Farnam. It's on a hill just north of the city. Don't have to walk it, I can drive up there. It's in the little park that nobody ever goes to be me, it seems. I go there when I truly want to be alone, when I don't even want my thoughts to bother me. Just zone out, watch the waves, ignore the slight poo poo smell from the sewage treatment plant a mile north. I can't even call it my happy place, more lile my numb place. Just somewhere to go and do and be as little as possible.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

There are many good boys in the world. Who else is a good boy?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Just as an FYI, if I suddenly fall off the radar for a couple days its because Im in an area without data coverage. I drive a Semi all over the US these days and keep finding myself in the Midwest. If a scene absolutely must move forward and I cant respond in time, just play off as Milton suddenly losing interest in whatever is going on and spacing out. Even if it kills him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Stealing some of Pepsi's wifi to tell you Im trapped in the middle of Nebraska in a winter storm with no further access to data. Please assume Milton suddenly feels like the conversation took a turn for the boring amd faded away or something.

I'm trying to get to a hotel, but this is a nasty storm and its not suppose to stop for three days.

• Locked thread