Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Also Ulises Segura signed for DC a few days ago, he's not bad, not great.

Ariel Rodriguez (striker, scored a bunch in Thailand) is also looking to move to MLS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

What are we doing here Hamlett/Marsch?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
NYC signed a new DP
https://twitter.com/NYCFC/status/947486261694160897

Dallas also signed Reto Ziegler, who was a competent Serie A left back a few years ago, haven't seen him recently though. He once signed a 4 year deal with Juve and then never made an appearance for them, spent all 4 years out on loan.
https://twitter.com/FCDallas/status/948299868430327809

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

a few things from today:

Schweinsteiger, Chicago Fire closing in on new deal

Orlando City SC Signs Forward Dom Dwyer To Three-Year Contract

Real Salt Lake Signs Spanish Forward Alfredo Ortuño

And the full MLS schedule comes out tomorrow at 2pm est.
And it will be livestreamed on the MLS YouTube channel for some reason.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/948725423923441664

Kind of a bummer since he had become a mainstay there, but whatever

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I guess they're doing the same thing RBNY was presumably doing with Kljestan, cashing in while the guy still had value (and LAFC, who lost out on Kljestan, decided to jump).

They can add the money to the Dwyer pile!

Meanwhile, I don't know what dark magic spell Tata has over young South American players, but we appear to have a genuine Transfer Saga going on with an MLS team as the buyer:

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsArg/status/948699844930977793

Apparently Independiente are holding out for more of Arthur Blank's money for Exequiel Barco, and the player is holding out on training in an effort to force a move.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Dallan Invictus posted:

we appear to have a genuine Transfer Saga going on with an MLS team as the buyer

hosed up if true

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Lol just remembered they still haven't decided who the other expansion is

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

I guess they're doing the same thing RBNY was presumably doing with Kljestan, cashing in while the guy still had value (and LAFC, who lost out on Kljestan, decided to jump).

They can add the money to the Dwyer pile!

Yeah good, more money to spend on dudes from the Belgian second division.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Real Name Grover posted:

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/948725423923441664

Kind of a bummer since he had become a mainstay there, but whatever

my wife was devastated when she heard the news

on the plus side SKC signed something called a Yohan Croizet from the belgian league on a DP contract. based on my having watched no fewer than three youtube videos of him he looks like he'll be a #10 making lots of killer through balls and actually playing some defense sometimes.

they still really need to put some of those fake MLS dollars towards a striker though, for real. dig up some good looking argentinan who washed out of europe and lets do this thing

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 4, 2018

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper/status/948956218441326594

you would think the MLS would atleast try to work the schedule for this, but nah

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Meeting a team 3 times is rather excessive, but this is pretty stupid.

Thanks LAFC. :argh:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

TwoStepBoog posted:

https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper/status/948956218441326594

you would think the MLS would atleast try to work the schedule for this, but nah

Nobody outside Cascadia cares about the Cascadia Cup standings though? (the derby games THEMSELVES are a great draw so the suits love them, which is why they tend to be Sunday games, but I doubt anyone in the league office cares enough about the mini-competition itself to prioritise it in scheduling).

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

whypick1 posted:

Meeting a team 3 times is rather excessive, but this is pretty stupid.

Thanks LAFC. :argh:

So we go with first home and first away only. There, fixed.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Well, yeah, of course that's what they'd do for the competition. I was thinking more along the lines of Dallan's point about the draw of the games themselves.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Tannenwald makes the broader point that the Cascadia Problem is mainly a consequence of the fact that West teams will now only play one conference opponent three times (ours in San Jose, who I accordingly hope will continue to be terrible). East teams will play two, which is still fewer than previous years.

(also, the full schedule is out.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The DCU schedule is a garbage fire. They couldn't even get a rival to open up Audi Field? Instead it's gonna be the loving Whitecaps lol. And I'm still on the edge of my seat to see if they're REALLY gonna have the home opener at the 5k capacity Maryland Soccerplex, or if they'll manage to find a real stadium to play in.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dallan Invictus posted:

Nobody outside Cascadia cares about the Cascadia Cup standings though? (the derby games THEMSELVES are a great draw so the suits love them, which is why they tend to be Sunday games, but I doubt anyone in the league office cares enough about the mini-competition itself to prioritise it in scheduling).

They did enough to try and trademark Cascadia Cup a few years ago. Now that they can't monetize it though, you're probably correct.

El Jebus posted:

So we go with first home and first away only. There, fixed.

The last time there was an unbalanced Cascadia schedule (back in the USL days) it was last home & last away that counted.

highme fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 4, 2018

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I was bored at work and did a little breakdown of the (US) nationally-televised schedule.

The networks appear to have a massive boner LAFC and Atlanta.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

whypick1 posted:

I was bored at work and did a little breakdown of the (US) nationally-televised schedule.

The networks appear to have a massive boner LAFC and Atlanta.

That's great news. Less lovely scheduling for us.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

is it a little bit greedy to ask for a signing already? i don't think it is

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Azerban posted:

is it a little bit greedy to ask for a signing already? i don't think it is

Consistency and success have made for outstandingly boring transfer windows

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I'm old enough to remember when you guys would bring in half a new roster and a new coach every single year.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm old enough to remember when you guys would bring in half a new roster and a new coach every single year.

I too remember things that happened less than ten years ago.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Dallan Invictus posted:

This is the first off season since 2012 that Seattle hasn't replaced 11 or more players

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jack2142 posted:

This is the first off season since 2012 that Seattle hasn't replaced 11 or more players

If their sustained success isn't broken, why are the trying to fix it?

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
Rapids have reportedly signed Jack Price from Wolverhampton. Announcement is expected later today.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Ousted to DC, and I can’t help but believe this mitigates losing Hamid entirely.

They’re quietly having a decent offseason, except the lack of forward options and Nine Years of Ben Olsen.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Rapids have reportedly signed Jack Price from Wolverhampton. Announcement is expected later today.

Who did Jack Price piss off?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

XBenedict posted:

Who did Jack Price piss off?

Imagine leaving a team that’s almost certainly going to be in the Premier League next season for MLS.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

So because of the CCL's format shuffle and Toronto winning MLS Cup last year, that berth for the '19 CCL is going to go to whoever has the most aggregate points in '17 and '18, which means right now NYCFC is in the lead. That team will join SKC ('17 USOC winner), the '18 USOC winner, the '18 MLS Cup winner and '18 Canadian Championship winner as the US-Canada representatives. For the '20 CCL it goes back to MLS Cup winner, USOC winner, both conference winners and Canadian Championship winner (standard caveats about how Canadian teams can only qualify through that last one).

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Imagine leaving a team that’s almost certainly going to be in the Premier League next season for MLS.

If I had to guess he wants playing time and thinks he won’t get it next year. Or this year.

This article says he’s made 5 substitute appearances in the championship and started all 4 league cup games.

Otherwise damned if I know.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

TheBoyBlunder posted:

If I had to guess he wants playing time and thinks he won’t get it next year. Or this year.

This article says he’s made 5 substitute appearances in the championship and started all 4 league cup games.

Otherwise damned if I know.

Looks like a foreign manager is pissing away two young players with a ton of potential. For a club that doesn't produce a lot of players with high ceilings, this has to be disappointing.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Perry Kitchen's Europe experiment has failed. He's now a member of the LA Galaxy, and it only cost them $100K GAM / $250K TAM to DC for saying his name three times in a mirror.

He's an immediate upgrade for LAG, and it makes the time with Marcelo Sarvas that much more painful. Russel Canouse theoretically has more upside, but well, that requires good coaching. Lowell.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Ousted to DC, and I can’t help but believe this mitigates losing Hamid entirely.

They’re quietly having a decent offseason, except the lack of forward options and Nine Years of Ben Olsen.

Ousted is solid, I don’t think any team would be mad to have him

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Ousted is solid, I don’t think any team would be mad to have him

Yeah, he's not QUITE as good as a couple of years back but still pretty solid as a keeper and definitely a solid guy. I can understand why we let him go to free up cap space (IDK if his current performance was worth what he was asking) but I'm glad he went to the East.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Rumor time!

https://twitter.com/jeffrueter/status/951186950706393091?s=17

While I’m absolutely “Save the Crew”, because Precourt is a piece of poo poo and also because the Rapids could be next, I’d be pretty surprised if this happened.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

RIP Beitashour. We'll always remember him for his steady defensive play on the greatest team in the history of the league , but unfortunately he died.

In other news, this is the first year the Canada Cup has third division teams in it and I'm hyped as gently caress for the away trip to Oakville.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
DC United are reportedly just waiting on MLS approval to schedule their first two "home" games before Audi Field opens. The home opener is gonna be a the Maryland Soccerplex. Capacity: 5,200. :laffo:

The second game looks to be at the Navy stadium, though, which should be pretty dope. I've been there for a football game and it's 1) gorgeous and 2) in Annapolis, which is a great little city. IIRC they stadium doesn't serve alcohol, though, which definitely calls for :laffo: again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

camoseven posted:

DC United are reportedly just waiting on MLS approval to schedule their first two "home" games before Audi Field opens. The home opener is gonna be a the Maryland Soccerplex. Capacity: 5,200. :laffo:

The second game looks to be at the Navy stadium, though, which should be pretty dope. I've been there for a football game and it's 1) gorgeous and 2) in Annapolis, which is a great little city. IIRC they stadium doesn't serve alcohol, though, which definitely calls for :laffo: again

Oh god they’ll be sober

Oh that’s so great

Anyway using the Soccerplex is a joke and I’m shocked they won’t use any of the UND stadiums, Ludwig Field is just as small frankly and Byrd would at least be novel

• Locked thread