Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

camoseven posted:

The second game looks to be at the Navy stadium, though, which should be pretty dope. I've been there for a football game and it's 1) gorgeous and 2) in Annapolis, which is a great little city. IIRC they stadium doesn't serve alcohol, though, which definitely calls for :laffo: again

Seeing people complain about lacrosse lines will at least be novel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

If a soccer game is played but everyone is sober, did it really happen?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

porkface posted:

If a soccer game is played but everyone is sober, did it really happen?

Being sober for Ben Olsen coached soccer is an experience, kinda like watching a childbirth video as a young one

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I honestly don't think I'll see United at all this season, goddamn they are just so bad at everything

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I just want to make sure I have this right: Landon Donovan came out of retirement again? But this time he signed in Mexico?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
There are a lot of nerds upset about how the MLS MVP award is named after an actively playing Liga MX player

lol

Also Cyle Larin is having his medical with Besiktas right now

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

trem_two posted:

Apparently Besiktas never bothered with the "negotiating a transfer fee" part of this process because Larin is in an option year, so we're shaping up for a Camilo sequel.

I always wondered how good that movie would be when it wasn't MY team's star striker in the lead role!

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Dallan Invictus posted:

Apparently Besiktas never bothered with the "negotiating a transfer fee" part of this process because Larin is in an option year, so we're shaping up for a Camilo sequel.

I always wondered how good that movie would be when it wasn't MY team's star striker in the lead role!

I was wondering why there wasn't any announcement from MLS or Orlando, now it all makes sense

https://twitter.com/OSAliciaD/status/952195775508942849

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
What is the deal with Turkish clubs being stupid about transfers? Didn't Fabian Castillo have a similar issue?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
The Orlando fan contingency seems to be missing the irony that they’re the ones having their team meddled with.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Otherwise known to Barca fans as the Neymar Conundrum.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

XBenedict posted:

Looks like a foreign manager is pissing away two young players with a ton of potential. For a club that doesn't produce a lot of players with high ceilings, this has to be disappointing.

From what I've seen it sounds like they don't think either will reach PL level, which is what they're looking for now so they're cashing in. Personally I think "good Championship player" would still be an upgrade for the Rapids, but for an intl. spot it certainly isn't as exciting as what the likes of Atlanta have managed. :sigh:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Moktaro posted:

From what I've seen it sounds like they don't think either will reach PL level, which is what they're looking for now so they're cashing in. Personally I think "good Championship player" would still be an upgrade for the Rapids, but for an intl. spot it certainly isn't as exciting as what the likes of Atlanta have managed. :sigh:

What do you expect when Atlanta have a rich owner?

:v:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

What do you expect when Atlanta have a rich owner?

Bitch, I'll cut you.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

trem_two posted:

There are a lot of nerds upset about how the MLS MVP award is named after an actively playing Liga MX player

lol

I feel like "naming awards after people who are still living" is right there along with "building statues of people who are still living" on the list of poo poo that will definitely bite you in the rear end at some point.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

tk posted:

I feel like "naming awards after people who are still living" is right there along with "building statues of people who are still living" on the list of poo poo that will definitely bite you in the rear end at some point.

Jerry Richardson says "Hi"

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/WilliamsBob75/status/953664198902509568

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Timbers finally announced the addition of Peruvian winger, Andy Polo. He's on a 1 year loan from Monarcas, and since the Timbers don't really do loans without an option to buy it means it was likely structured that way to dance around some Calvinball rules.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

BRB, preparing for the apocalypse.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I honestly won't believe the MLS Miami team is actually happening until they play a loving game at this point

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

highme posted:

Timbers finally announced the addition of Peruvian winger, Andy Polo. He's on a 1 year loan from Monarcas, and since the Timbers don't really do loans without an option to buy it means it was likely structured that way to dance around some Calvinball rules.

I don't think you're allowed a loan without an option to buy in MLS?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Remember, kids, why do all the work of building up a club up from nothing when you can just throw a bunch of money at Don Garber and skip to the head of the line?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Goldenballs et. al now have to build a club up from nothing ANYWAY, the money largely just means he gets the assistance (in various ways) of MLS' pooled resources to do so. I know you're annoyed about Sacramento, but Miami was always in a separate line, and they are throwing far less money at Don Garber than they would otherwise have had to because of Beckham's playing contract (which MLS HQ may end up cursing with their dying breaths because a Miami team would have been worth like ten times as much to them through the normal expansion process). Now, Nashville...well, I don't know much about their USL club so they may be a more appropriate target for that complaint.

Sacramento's problem IMO is mainly that their billionaire backers are either not in, or are in for way less money than they were previously presumed to be, depending on which unsourced news item one believes on any given day, and in lieu of relegating poverty cases and cheapskates through results on the field MLS appears instead to be choosing to stop letting new ones in. (the existing cheapskates, one assumes, will just have to read the writing on the wall, or die Bill Wirtz-style).

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Remember, kids, why do all the work of building up a club up from nothing when you can just throw a bunch of money at Don Garber and skip to the head of the line?

Remember, kids, contracts are legal documents and the things you promise in them with be followed.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Remember, kids, contracts are legal documents and the things you promise in them with be followed.
I know. I still hate it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Crazy Ted posted:

Yea they might end up huge failures like Atlanta FC instead of striking successes that lovely teams like Cincinnati and Nashville will inevitably be

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Yea they might end up huge failures like Atlanta FC instead of striking successes that lovely teams like Cincinnati and Nashville will inevitably be
:drat:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

XyrlocShammypants posted:

:ck5:

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Schweinsteiger re-signed, Quintero is happening (finally), Lillard signed a home grown contact, Lindley's rights were flipped for a defender + money, and Harrington, Juninho, and Bava are all gone.

drat good off-season for Chicago so far.

E: maybe Quintero isn't happening (again). My fault for believing rumors.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 18, 2018

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Did you guys know there's another goddamn draft today? In theory this is the last one, so I can't wait for another 3 to pop up.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

whypick1 posted:

Did you guys know there's another goddamn draft today? In theory this is the last one, so I can't wait for another 3 to pop up.

I was gonna ask about this because I saw it "trending" on twitter, which I don't believe at all. Who is even eligible for this one?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Isn't today's draft the college player draft?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yes, it's the college draft

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Reports say Accam has been traded to Philly for cash.

Nelson had better be putting that money to good use because drat. He's been a huge piece of the Fire setup for a while.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Hello Towel posted:

Reports say Accam has been traded to Philly for cash.

Nelson had better be putting that money to good use because drat. He's been a huge piece of the Fire setup for a while.

That’s sucks, I loved him even though he looked like he was having a bad time more and more.

Looks like there’s a DP and 2 TAM spots still?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Zardes and 400k (+ 100k if Kamars scores enough) to the Crew for Ola Kamara? Feels like Columbus got robbed, but since he was demanding a trade I guess they were stuck. Kamara's definitely not the kind of guy we're USED to seeing as a starting striker for the Galaxy but, unfortunately for the rest of us, he seems like he should do the business.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
this is finally done

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/954444581319397377

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

When everyone else is drafting lovely college kids, those cheeky bastards

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Dallan Invictus posted:

Zardes and 400k (+ 100k if Kamars scores enough) to the Crew for Ola Kamara? Feels like Columbus got robbed, but since he was demanding a trade I guess they were stuck. Kamara's definitely not the kind of guy we're USED to seeing as a starting striker for the Galaxy but, unfortunately for the rest of us, he seems like he should do the business.

I am ppretty sure Precourt wants the team to tank this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
We signed some Venezuelan youth International (Cristian Cásseres). Between that and Gamarra I am pleasantly surprised. I expected absolutely nothing this window.

• Locked thread