Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Pham Nuwen posted:

There is RP1 fanfic, listen to the 372 Pages podcast to hear excerpts

"My butthole nearly puckered," said the golem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Finally finished all the episodes of 372pages and it was great. Such a good listen and so cathartic to hear those dudes rip the book apart i couldn't even get past chapter 2 before bowing out of that terrible, terrible mess... but here's the thing.

Now, i have to choose what I'm going to say next very carefully...

The RP1 film might NOT be a completely unwatchable shitshow.

Hear me out. The book is unfilmable. As 372 pages say again and again, Cline undercuts all tension from his scenes and neuters any kind of threat and that poo poo will NOT fly on the silver screen and I think Spielberg knows this. The whole drat mess would have to be extensively re-written so that there's SOME semblance of tension or drama and the character might actually get an arc and show some growth. Of course it'll still be packed to the gills with tepid and unbearable nostalgia grabbing but remember I said the film wouldn't be unwatchable, not that it'd be good.

They even mentioned it in the show, but in the hands of someone competent like Edgar Wright you could see some scenes coming off as (arguably)funny gags. Like when he has to play Joust against the Litch. Film is like a horror/action scene, this giant, eldritch nightmare creature goading the main dude about how he'll never prevail and how he'll be put to the ultimate test and *bang* hard cut to them both at an arcade cabinet with this Mouth of Sauron wight thing hunched over mashing buttons.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

The movie will be bad. It will appeal to the broadest lowest common denominator and people will loving love it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Slotducks posted:

The movie will be bad. It will appeal to the broadest lowest common denominator and people will loving love it.

If it was broadest lowest common denominator it wouldn't be arbitrarily limiting itself to a specific pop culture niche.

Being a terrible nerd doesn't mean your taste is better than everyone else, it just means your niche is smaller.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Drunken Baker posted:

Finally finished all the episodes of 372pages and it was great. Such a good listen and so cathartic to hear those dudes rip the book apart i couldn't even get past chapter 2 before bowing out of that terrible, terrible mess... but here's the thing.

Now, i have to choose what I'm going to say next very carefully...

The RP1 film might NOT be a completely unwatchable shitshow.

Hear me out. The book is unfilmable. As 372 pages say again and again, Cline undercuts all tension from his scenes and neuters any kind of threat and that poo poo will NOT fly on the silver screen and I think Spielberg knows this. The whole drat mess would have to be extensively re-written so that there's SOME semblance of tension or drama and the character might actually get an arc and show some growth. Of course it'll still be packed to the gills with tepid and unbearable nostalgia grabbing but remember I said the film wouldn't be unwatchable, not that it'd be good.

They even mentioned it in the show, but in the hands of someone competent like Edgar Wright you could see some scenes coming off as (arguably)funny gags. Like when he has to play Joust against the Litch. Film is like a horror/action scene, this giant, eldritch nightmare creature goading the main dude about how he'll never prevail and how he'll be put to the ultimate test and *bang* hard cut to them both at an arcade cabinet with this Mouth of Sauron wight thing hunched over mashing buttons.

How dare you not comply with the hivemind.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

How dare you not comply with the hivemind.
How dare you post this level of beige noise on here instead of reddit.

Spielberg may be many things, but he has rarely made unwatchable movies. I can't imagine anyone doubts that. The problem is and always has been that this book is the apotheosis of a toxic cultural movement thirty-five years in the making which we've all contributed to.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

How dare you post this level of beige noise on here instead of reddit.

Spielberg may be many things, but he has rarely made unwatchable movies. I can't imagine anyone doubts that. The problem is and always has been that this book is the apotheosis of a toxic cultural movement thirty-five years in the making which we've all contributed to.

It sounds like you're apologizing for that guy.

We all know this is a bad book.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Take, for example, the end scene of the book where Wally West enters the wizard's childhood bedroom. In the book there's an entire page just listing all the old consoles and computers he has strewn about the room. In the film it'll just be a panning shot establishing this nerd's room not drawing attention to the piles of garbage strewn around... maybe.

For all we know it might be 10 solid minutes of Wally saying each console's name in order as the camera snaps to each one in sequence.

edit: The film is still going to be garbage. Just not as bad as the book.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Spielberg directing this is actually genius because a film adaptation was inevitable and this way he gets to make sure that none of his own creations are devalued by appearing in it. One of the first things he did when he took on the movie was announce that none of the references to his films from the book would be in the movie.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

Spielberg directing this is actually genius because a film adaptation was inevitable and this way he gets to make sure that none of his own creations are devalued by appearing in it. One of the first things he did when he took on the movie was announce that none of the references to his films from the book would be in the movie.

"... except for the Delorean and a couple of other things"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rastor posted:

"... except for the Delorean and a couple of other things"

Spielberg didn't write or direct Back to the Future.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Guy Mann posted:

What has Spielberg really created? Is he just not going to show sharks and dinosaurs and men with cowboy hats? Will Ralph Fiennes not be reprising his role as Amon Goeth?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

So I heard you like 80s pop culture references

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/25/16926366/sundance-2018-summer-of-84-movie-review-stranger-things-the-burbs-rkss

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Mike Nelson's doing Armada now. :dance:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Guy Mann posted:

Oh man this film is really gonna suffer without the appearance of Time-Devouring-Meatballs or demented alien clowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Gammatron 64 posted:

Ernest Clien is like the Neil Breen of nerds.

I watched all the shows and listened to all the music. I am a pro at all video games. I am a super elite hacker. I graduated at the top of my class in the air force academy.

Please don't say that. I have no desire to see Ernest Cline's ballsack.

• Locked thread