Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'd like to submit FEAR: Perseus Mandate. The second of two expansion packs for the original FEAR, and definitely the wonkiest. I think the lighting engine is actually broken on like three quarters of the maps. The only explanation I can think of for the textures is that the lead artist quit halfway through the project. The story is kind of incoherent and the voice acting is provided by Steven Blum and like three other guys all trying their best to sound like him. At one point they unironically use the word "shenanigans."

It's still fun as hell, though. While kind of stupid, the story at least conveys a sense of progress and agency, which can't be said of some of the other FEAR games. The original FEAR had some of the best gunplay of any shooter I've played, and Perseus Mandate manages to keep it more or less intact. They also add these elite dudes on PCP who climb up the walls on their fingernails and hock two grenades at you simultaneously, which makes the slow-mo power much more worthwhile. And you can use the dual pistols for pretty much the whole game, which you couldn't in the original due to ammunition scarcity. The dual pistols are rad as hell so this is a major improvement.

In conclusion, messy but fun beats polished but tedious (my experience with FEAR 2 and the other FEAR expansion pack.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread