Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

anilEhilated posted:

Inquisitor: A huge cRPG that suffers from a whole plethora of issues, starting with iffy translation, going through several incredibly boring areas and ending up with weird difficulty walls. Underneath that all it's a really lovingly made world and a story that reflects some parts of medieval setting that most fantasy would rather we forget. If you can survive the beginning and the one gamestopper dungeon, it's a real gem buried in a pile of poo poo. Protip: your inventory has five pages and no weight for a reason. Stock up on potions. No, I mean stock up on potions.
Probably my favorite bad game, with the possible exception of...

Can you elaborate a bit more on how to survive and thrive in this game? I was determined to like it, and loved its writing, but then ran headlong into the difficulty curve outside of the first town and went "welp" and never came back. I'd be game for trying again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Hit and run around the first town. The difficulty is completely over the top there, I'm fairly sure no one playtested it - go out, kill a monster or two, go heal up. If you run out of money, just wait until you regenerate, get a book or something. You should be able to get a dog companion in the first town; he's stupid and will probably die pretty soon but helps with the early game. Do any quests you can, a couple levels in you should be able to start tackling higher level monsters - the leveling-up curve will actually kick in, it just takes for loving ever to get off the first couple of levels.
Iron mines is the gamestopper dungeon - thing is long and boring and hard, 2+ inventory pages of potions are a must (you'll generally want to carry at least a page of bottles with you always - money will come pretty easy from the second town on). If you're a priest, any spells that disable enemies while you wail on them are a godsend (hurr) and some are utterly loving broken - basically the moment you're able to cast Black Mass you can obliterate entire screens of enemies that aren't even aware of you because the thing ignores walls. Thorn Crown allows you to cheese every boss in the game because it stacks with itself. If you're a warrior, supplant your defenses with some spells but forget about throwing fireballs. If you're a thief, you're probably screwed, but I haven't actually played as one.

Perfect, thank you! Installing the game now, I think I'll go full priest and try to actually experience the game this time. :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

So I'm idly reading an old review of X3: Terran Conflict and there are some real gems in here...

quote:

Ah the X series, how do we love thee? Let us count the ways... Every game reviewer has one of these, a game or series that touches them on a personal, intimate and downright naughty level, so enamoring them with their depth, breadth and endorphin-releasing wiles that he will hear no bad word said against them, no minor criticism that won’t be met with a flurry of pre-rehearsed counter points and face punches, no rival comparison that won’t be put down by shouts of “YOU JUST SHUT UP!” through the tears of infatuation as we cradle the box to our chest and run to our rooms to have a good cry.

[...]

It’s still a game that you have to want to love, rather than one that will entrance the reluctant majority regardless, but will generously reward you, should you be willing to let yourself go along with it. It’s still not the pick-up-and-play immediate gratification of Freelancer, and the requirement of patience and thought might still dissuade the casuals. We guess it says something that even after five years we can still compare this with Microsoft’s now-dated rival.

But the infatuation continues, even if it’s something of a clearer, where-is-this-relationship-going sort of direction than in previous years. The sex is still great, and we’d love to say we could still stay faithful to one another for many years to come. But it may well be that we’ve come to a point in our lives when it might not be a bad idea for us to start seeing other people. We’ve already got our eye on X-Online, actually. Or we could break this tortuous metaphor, and start dating human beings.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Do mods in X3 disable achievements and/or story missions?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Plugins shouldn't affect achievements or story; I think that only happens with certain custom starts.

Yeeees if there's anything I hate about Paradox games it is their treatment of cheevos.

• Locked thread