Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Uncle Khasim posted:

Vangers was so far ahead of its time that I remember at least one magazine redacting their score and putting in on a Top 100 Games Ever Made list instead. Claymation visuals give it a look unlike any other game. The game and manual uses its own language and part of the story is working out what the hell the words mean and what exactly happened. I own both a physical copy and a Steam copy and one day I will finally get around to playing it..one day.

Also, shoutout to NPPD Rush for having a chip fat filter for the true 1980s experience. I don’t think this game really fits on the good/bad spectrum but everything about this absolute mess of a game sticks with you.

This is something I tried to play when it first came out in 1998 and will never forget. For 98 russian game it was actually very polished, problem was controlling the drat car, they built voxel worlds with destructible topography and cars with actual physics and finally AI that is way better than me at driving around it.

But the goddamn WTF :psyduck: characters, world(s), the above mentioned new language and finally plot that surprises you by actually making sense within the rules of that warped fever dream of a setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Glare Seethe posted:

Yeah, Vangers... it showed up in my Steam library a couple of years ago since I owned some of the publisher's other games. I tried, I really did. But the combination of the tank movement and topography kept landing me upside down in a ditch over and over again. If there was quicksave I think I'd have soldiered on but without it I gave up after an hour. Definitely felt kind of bad about ditching a cult classic. The gameplay seemed reminiscent of Escape Velocity, i.e. top-down, ferrying goods around and gradually working through a narrative. Maybe I'll try again sometime, in general I was into the weirdness.

I do remember the default controls to be kind of bonkers. Like something was assigned to 'F23'. :confused: Should've taken a screenshot when I still had it installed.

I actually managed to reach the second world, to discover that the inhabitants are much less chill than the slovenly worms. I got immediately demoted to slave for not having a "slave box" on me, they taken my car and put me into this tiny flea that has no weapons, a cargo hold barely big enough to hold the drat slave box but jumps very very high. There are means to avoid it but being their slave is kind of fun for awhile. Ironically the flea car is pretty good for this world's geography however to really progress you need a bigger car and they can't jump as high. This is where I had to quit. There are pretty decent highways but of course drat vangers blow them up all the time and if you fall into water its 10-20 minutes getting out of there.

The AI, I must say is pretty good. Reputation system determines how they react to you. There are some missions where you have to carry a boss (non vanger) creature in your car for "inspection" and other vangers will dare not touch you and scramble to GTFO of your way.

• Locked thread