Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Just off the top of my head/library and mostly of the Eastern/European variety:

Dead Effect 2: low-effort sequel of a low-effort mobile shooter port, what could possibly go right? Turns out this is actually pretty fun - imagine Borderlands except in a claustrophobic space station with zombies instead of bandits. Weapons aplenty, skills that just scream abuse (it's easily possible to two-shot the final boss with the right combos) and an inoffensive length with offensive voice acting.

Deadfall Adventures: it's a really lovely shooter that accidentally excels in something else entirely as it happens to be the best tomb raider this side of Tomb Raider. You play through the plot of a bad Indiana Jones movie and mow down legions of Nazis and mummies using thoroughly underwhelming guns, but the ancient crypts you'll be spending most of the time in are chock-full of secrets, traps and puzzles you have only some cryptic notes to navigate. Not exactly brain food but the graverobbing is fantastic.

Deadly Premonition: Super bad survival horror gameplaywise, utterly fantastic story and characters. Whether it's going to run and how well is pretty much pure chance.

Earth 2150: Quite possibly the most underrated RTS of all time. Ugly as sin and hard as balls but the options for screwing around with units and terrain are amazing. There's also a lot of it as it had two expansions.

Gorky 17: Polish survival horror SRPG. Exactly as charming as that sounds.

Inquisitor: A huge cRPG that suffers from a whole plethora of issues, starting with iffy translation, going through several incredibly boring areas and ending up with weird difficulty walls. Underneath that all it's a really lovingly made world and a story that reflects some parts of medieval setting that most fantasy would rather we forget. If you can survive the beginning and the one gamestopper dungeon, it's a real gem buried in a pile of poo poo. Protip: your inventory has five pages and no weight for a reason. Stock up on potions. No, I mean stock up on potions.
Probably my favorite bad game, with the possible exception of...

Necrovision: An utterly hilarious arena shooter where you have no idea what is going on half the time and the other half you just know it's batshit insane. Starts as a really bad WWI shooter, then it escalates. And boy it does escalate. By the end you'll be riding a dragon towards the gates of Hell in order to kick Satan's rear end while dual-wielding rocket launchers and calling up waves of lightning and fire.

Realms of the Haunting: An oldie but a goodie. Don't let the shooter engine and controls fool you, this is mostly survival horror with puzzles and ammo conservation. Also live-action cutscenes and a story that collapses on itself about two thirds of the game in but you'll want to finish it anyway. By the way, Hell is a park.

Silent Storm: Best squad tactics game to came out after Jagged Alliance 2. Fantastic demolition engine where blowing a hole under an enemy sniper in order to make the fucker plummet through three storeys of a shot up building to his death is a perfectly viable tactic. Non-linear campaign where your next missions are determined by clues you find on the battlefield. Also basically nonexistant difficulty curve, some skill trees straight-up don't work and the campaign generator can screw you into a dead end. There are mods that fix most of that, though. Did I mention the setting is WW2 with mechs?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at Dec 11, 2017 around 19:46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can you elaborate a bit more on how to survive and thrive in this game? I was determined to like it, and loved its writing, but then ran headlong into the difficulty curve outside of the first town and went "welp" and never came back. I'd be game for trying again!
Hit and run around the first town. The difficulty is completely over the top there, I'm fairly sure no one playtested it - go out, kill a monster or two, go heal up. If you run out of money, just wait until you regenerate, get a book or something. You should be able to get a dog companion in the first town; he's stupid and will probably die pretty soon but helps with the early game. Do any quests you can, a couple levels in you should be able to start tackling higher level monsters - the leveling-up curve will actually kick in, it just takes for loving ever to get off the first couple of levels.
Iron mines is the gamestopper dungeon - thing is long and boring and hard, 2+ inventory pages of potions are a must (you'll generally want to carry at least a page of bottles with you always - money will come pretty easy from the second town on). If you're a priest, any spells that disable enemies while you wail on them are a godsend (hurr) and some are utterly loving broken - basically the moment you're able to cast Black Mass you can obliterate entire screens of enemies that aren't even aware of you because the thing ignores walls. Thorn Crown allows you to cheese every boss in the game because it stacks with itself. If you're a warrior, supplant your defenses with some spells but forget about throwing fireballs. If you're a thief, you're probably screwed, but I haven't actually played as one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Eh, I'd say Skyrim is a typical AAA attempt. It's not janky, it's just poo poo.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, I really tried to get into the X games but I can't even figure out how to move my loving ship half the time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

OutOfPrint posted:

Compared to Elex, Gothic 3 is a breeze. Combat seems to come down to stunlocking enemies before they stunlock me, and other enemies in a group are courteous enough to wait their turns before attacking in a series of 1-on-1 duels. This has the odd effect of making the protagonist feel like a badass swordsman, which is kind of neat.
Just wait for the magic-using enemies to start showing up. If you can't wait, head for the southern parts of the world.

Those loving liches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Probably better that way - everything 2 does, 3 does better.

• Locked thread