Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Silent Hill 4. A lot of people think this game is awful, and by most metrics I'd say that's a fair opinion. The controls are clunky, the lighting system is a regression for a series known for being an early pioneer of dynamic shadows, the textures are low-res even for 2004, and it has burping nurses. To this game's credit though, it has a really creepy story, does an absolutely fantastic job of making you feel isolated and claustrophobic, and has some of my favorite ambient sound design in the whole series (burping nurses aside). It is the one Silent Hill game I replay the most and it is criminally underappreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to mention my favorite part of this game, which is that it nails its premise, that you are living inside of a perpetual nightmare. The puzzles and environments all seem to operate on this hazy dream logic, and the dialogue from the other characters sound just "off" enough that nothing really seems real. It's a great example of a game that has a lot going on conceptually that shines through the bad.

Junk fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread