Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Interested, picked it up and reading through it now. Would Cardassians or Ferengi characters be allowed? Relatedly, I can answer the two questions: I'd prefer either an Old and Busted or Tried and True ship, and for tone DS9 or TNG, leaning towards DS9. it's me i'm the niner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

That's fair, and it leaves an opening for ~drama~

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

After brainstorming, I decided not to go with a Cardie or Ferengi since I couldn't come up with any backstories I liked, so I went with a Bajoran instead! I'll put a STO mugshot together later but for now:

quote:

Name: Latara Mabrin
Role: Security Officer, USS (blank)
Species: Bajoran
Environment: Homeworld
Upbringing: Diplomacy and Politics (Accepted)
Academy: Operations Track
Career: Young Officer
Career Events: Mentored, Special Commendation

Stress: 13
Damage Bonus: 4

Traits: Bajoran

Values:

What You Are In The Dark
A Good Plan Now Beats A Perfect Plan Later
Driven To Ease Suffering
My Sponsor, Captain McAllister

Control: 10
Daring: 11
Fitness: 9
Insight: 9
Presence: 9
Reason: 8

Command: 3
Conn: 3
Engineering: 2
Security: 4
Science: 2
Medicine: 2

Focuses:

Espionage
Hand Phasers
Infiltration
Survival
Composure
Emergency Medicine

Talents:

Strong Pagh
Bold (Security)
Untapped Potential
Close Protection

Equipment:

Communicator
Uniform
Tricorder
Phaser (Type-2)

Born in 2346 on then-Occupied Bajor, Mabrin spent most of his youth in a refugee camp; his parents passed on their faith to him, and tried to shield him from the worst excesses of the Cardassians. They were aided in this by the crooked Glinn in charge of the camp, who would "misplace" rations or lie about punishments if the refugees had the latinum. Because of this, Mabrin was able to spend his youth learning about the Prophets and Bajor's rich history. Shortly after his turning 11, however, the camp was visited by Gul Alket, chief executioner at the time. Central Command had heard about the camp commandant corruption, felt he was a threat to order, and moreover thought that the Resistance was using it as a place to regroup. The Glinn was reassigned, and Alket ordered every third refugee searched, interrogated and if judged prudent, killed. The entire process took two weeks, and while Mabrin himself was spared, and his mother was judged non-threatening, his father never left the interrogation chamber.

The suddenness of it served to radicalize the camp, and Mabrin along with it; he sought out Resistance members, and at 14 took part in his first raid. His teenage years were a cycle of hiding in caves and wilderness, striking out, and evading patrols. Mabrin met a lot of good people in his cell, and saw a lot of them die or disappear, but his and their faith, both in the Prophets and in Bajor, never waivered. His biggest test came at the age of 16. His cell bombed an outpost, killing most of the garrison, but one of the survivors was a young Cardassian boy, presumably the son of one of the soldiers. Some in the cell had wanted to shoot her or leave her to her fate. Mabrin couldn't bring himself to do that, so he went behind their backs and took the child to the nearest orphanage; he wasn't trusted completely by his comrades in arms after that, but Mabrin never backed down. As far as he was concerned, that boy didn't ask to be the son of tyrants.

Three years later, his cell raided a major prisoner of war camp. Apparently a Federation ship had been destroyed by the Cardassians and they'd interned the survivors on Bajor. They were given clandestine support and told to liberate one prisoner in particular, Captain McAllister, who had highly sensitive information. The raid itself was a success, but as they were moving the Captain to the drop off point, the Cardassians jumped them. They'd intercepted the message and put a tracker on McAllister, and in the firefight that followed, Mabrin and his cell mates fought valiantly but hopelessly. As it came down to McAllister and Mabrin, the USS Exeter arrived, and Mabrin used the last of his disruptor's battery to fire at the Cardassians' transporter jammer, and the two were beamed out.

As he was recovering in the Exeter's sickbay, Mabrin was informed that he'd been beamed out as well in part because McAllister saw him as Starfleet material, and was willing to give him a chance and sign off on an application to the Academy if he'd take it. Mabrin agreed, in part because by now he had few other options. At the Academy, Mabrin put his practical experience to good use, majoring in Security, and ranking within the top 10 percent of his year. Upon graduation, he found himself assigned to Captain McAllister, and he spent much of this time learning about the intricacies of command, Starfleet life, and piloting shuttles full of brass around. At one point, while serving with her on the USS Apollo, he saved 17 crewmember's lives when an EPS conduit blew and started a plasma fire; Mabrin braved the flames to drag several injured crewmenbers to safety and, once they were all in sickbay, offered his assistance in treating the wounded. The commendation earned him a pip, and the newly minted Lieutenant (junior grade) awaits his next assignment.

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 24, 2017

• Locked thread