Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gleebster posted:

Treelawn? I heard "devil strip", or is that more of an Akron expression?

Those are both hilarious. In Australia I've heard "nature strip" and "verge"
Is this a thing that varies a lot across the English speaking world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EoinCannon posted:

I would think so, since it's something that seems fairly modern, so every region makes its own expression for it.

Note: I'm not a linguistics science dude.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

EoinCannon posted:

“Verge” is common throughout the UK

“Widnae gi’him the steam fae ma pish” (Wouldn’t give him the steam from my piss) — I am not a fan of the person being talked about.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DigitalRaven posted:

“Verge” is common throughout the UK

“Widnae gi’him the steam fae ma pish” (Wouldn’t give him the steam from my piss) — I am not a fan of the person being talked about.

"I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire."

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I remember our old neighbor saying "Like a 2-bit whore in a 4-bit dress", basically trying to be something you're not, or being in an uncomfortable situation.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Disco Salmon posted:

I remember our old neighbor saying "Like a 2-bit whore in a 4-bit dress", basically trying to be something you're not, or being in an uncomfortable situation.

Australia (maybe a UK thing) has "mutton dressed up as lamb". This is usually an older woman dressing younger than her years, sometimes used for other similar situations though

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

EoinCannon posted:

I live halfway between Cleveland and Akron, and I've never heard Devil Strip before. Then again, I also thought 'verge' referred to the area of road in front of the treelawn, so what do I know?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

EoinCannon posted:

Australia (maybe a UK thing) has "mutton dressed up as lamb". This is usually an older woman dressing younger than her years, sometimes used for other similar situations though

Mutton I'd like to gently caress

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Milo and POTUS posted:

Mutton I'd like to gently caress

Yes, yes, we know you gently caress sheep.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It was the terms of the wager and I never welsh on a bet

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Iceland has a similar saying "Enginn veršur óbarinn biskup" or "No one becomes a bishop without being beaten.".

"Beating the bishop" also has another meaning :catholic::fh:

Domus posted:

Here in northeast Ohio, we call the area of grass between the sidewalk and the road the "treelawn" . Blew my mind when I found out many parts of the country don't have a name for it.

This New York Times regional dialect quiz is pretty cool, pretty accurate, and has that "treelawn" question in there (my area doesn't have a name for that section of of sidewalk and road).

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
"Away and take a flying gently caress at a rolling doughnut" - Get lost/gently caress off

"All fur coat and nae nickers" - Pretentious/Putting on airs

"In her good morning judge dress" - Wearing a particularly short skirt

All from south eastern Scotland.

Bonus from I don't know where, one of my old friends used to use it a lot and he'd been an army brat dragged around various places as a kid.

"Well bugger me with a rag-mans trumpet" - Expression of surprise.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Buckleys = no chance. as in "You reckon that Melbourne will win the premiership? They've got buckleys." Comes from a general store back in colonial times "Buckleys & Nunn", run by Messrs Buckley and Nunn

Josh = To tease. as in "I'm just joshing ya."

Freeze the balls off a brass monkey = very cold. Originally a nautical term, if my old Geography teacher is to be believed. This can also be used as "It's brass monkey weather out there today."

Cold as a nun's nasty = very cold.

Cold as a witches tit = also very cold.

Jaffle = what Americans call grilled sandwiches

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Some more Kiwi/Aussie ones:

- Throw a strop/pack a sad = be annoyed about something
- Pingaz = ecstasy pills
- Durries = cigarettes
- Oi, bro = excuse me, sir
- Went out caning it last night = got really hosed up last night
- I was tuning this chick = I was trying to hit on a woman

One of my friends from north Wales likes calling me 'duck' as an affectionate term which makes no sense to me.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brand New Malaysian Wife posted:

Some more Kiwi/Aussie ones:

- Throw a strop/pack a sad = be annoyed about something

Crack the shits/crack the sads/sad up are what we use

Munted = broken, malformed or just really drunk

Piss up = party with lots of drinking

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
"Duck" is a common term of friendly address in Stoke. Other parts of the UK use "hen", "chick", or "pet". This confuses scandinavians in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Kaikkea pitää kokeilla, paitsi tanhuamista tai homoo sormella / You should try everything except folk dancing or fingering a gay.

To be open to new experiences I guess.

• Locked thread